Code of Conduct

Default Would Bentley be a good blind buy?

Would Bentley for men for $75 be a good blind buy? What about the intense version? Seems like a pretty good deal.

Default Re: Would Bentley be a good blind buy?

IMO, both are good blind buys. (621)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Bentley for Men Intense is an excellent choice, especially if you enjoy incense based fragrances.

Yes, if you like the genre. Boozy-incense.
    Otherwise, no.

for swap/sale:

I agree totally with Hedonist on this one. You need to really like this type of fragrance for it to be a safe blind buy. I blind bought Bentley Intense and I think it is an outstanding fragrance but I didn't enjoy wearing it so I sold it to someone else. It is possible to like a fragrance, appreciate its incredible quality, but it is not for you. For this reason I would not ever recommend blind buying anything. I do it all the time myself, but don't recommend it. I think chances are really good you will like the smell and artistry of either of the Bentley fragrances, but you may not enjoy wearing them - I'd give that a 50/50 chance.

Do not blind buy, is not safe to do it. As earlier post above, you must love incense to love this. The incense note is overwhelming and not versatile at all.

But I like it
    Last edited by iMac; 19th November 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Never blind buy a fragrance. Have the patience to sample and you'll save lots of money.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

If you can afford to lose the money to possibly disappointment, then try it. Otherwise, in my opinion thats too high for a gamble. The perfume came out not too long ago, give it some time and it will be more widely accessible.

Personally I'd wait until you can sample it or until the price comes down. It may be the board darling right now but, for example, where's Spicebomb now?

Sound Scents

Only *you* can determine if you are willing to take the risk. All *I* can say is the Intense version is outstanding and the regular version excellent, IMO. I think either are pretty easy to wear and while I don't wear many in my collection frequently, I wear Bentley Intense (a blind buy) more frequently than most others.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

I haven't tried the EDT version as yet but hopefully that will change in the future. However, I did blind buy the Intense and it is remarkable. I can't say enough good things to say about it and it isn't a two hour wonder with a nice scent, this literally goes on for hours. A great Boozy incense offering.

That's not a good blind purchase to my mind. All the hysteria on the Bentley made me think to buy it blindly, however, fortunately, the week before both fragrances appeared here in Russia. The juice is high quality one for the designer release, but not so outstanding on the whole. It presents sweet woods with incense heart reminding a lot of Dolce & Gabbana The One Gentleman on my skin and this years Frederic Malle Dries van Noten. Intense version is richer in the opening. To sum up, Bentley fragrances are too sweet for me, the amount of rum is not enough, and I happy that haven't bought them blindly.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Plus

Hmmm, weird... To me, the slightly sweet/boozy opening disappears pretty quickly and the fragrance turns a little dry and sour in the dry-down stage. Definitely not sweet.

But yes, if you do have a chance to get samples - of any fragrance - it's best to try them first on your own skin before investing in a big bottle. But if samples are nowhere to be had, you have to go by reviews, feedback, and recommendations from people whose noses you trust. If you do buy anything blind, the worst case is not all that bad - you can always sell the bottle at a small loss, probably not much different thank if you spend that amount originally on getting samples.

If you have smelled and like L'air Du Desert Marocain or Amouage Jubilation XXV then yes. I would also think that if you like amber and incense this would be something you'd enjoy wearing.

I agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Otherwise, no.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Otherwise, no.
    What is the meaning of "boozy" for a scent ? (Sorry, english is not my 1st language )

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    What is the meaning of "boozy" for a scent ? (Sorry, english is not my 1st language )
    Sort of "alcoholic" note... There is a rum note in the Bentley top notes.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Sort of "alcoholic" note... There is a rum note in the Bentley top notes.
    Thank you remik ; now I understand .

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    If you can afford to lose the money to possibly disappointment, then try it. Otherwise, in my opinion thats too high for a gamble.
    THIS.

I really enjoy Bentley Intense, but you have to be a fan of incense based scents. It helps to be a big fan of them, because that's what it is. Any blind buy is a risk. The fact that I enjoy Bentley Intense is irrelevant if your tastes differ from mine.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I tried this yesterday. Very good scent and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a full bottle soon. It reminds me of Silver Factory and Jubilation XXV.

How and when do you guys wear this? I was thinking of wearing it to work (office) but it might be too rich for that environment.

Sent from my HTC One

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    How and when do you guys wear this? I was thinking of wearing it to work (office) but it might be too rich for that environment.
    Bentley Intense is perfectly fine for office wear, just don't go crazy on the trigger. Two sprays will give you all-day satisfaction, without killing off everyone around you.

Amouage Opus VI is very similar in vein to Bentley Intense, but it is much, much stronger. This one I would not wear to an office, even one spray.

Bentley Intense is perfectly fine for office wear, just don't go crazy on the trigger. Two sprays will give you all-day satisfaction, without killing off everyone around you.

Amouage Opus VI is very similar in vein to Bentley Intense, but it is much, much stronger. This one I would not wear to an office, even one spray.
    I'd go with 2 shots UNDER the shirt.

Banned
    Blog Entries

As Hedonist mentioned in post 4

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post

I have worn it to work and meetings without any problem.

(2663)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    I'd go with 2 shots UNDER the shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2663)
    I'll give it a try. I think it would work in the winter especially at work.

Sent from my HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(2663)
    I agree. Keep it to 3 sprays or less and any situation should be fine.

Blind buys are always so personal. I bought both versions blind because I liked the notes. Then again, I read first, and I am usually 99% good with blind buys.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Incense is not an easy scent. Not all person can appreciate this. The scent may perceive you as a "holy" person. Any in my view incense note may attract unnatural force.

I have to be honest....I get tired of dropping money 5-7 bucks on a sample...It ALSO adds up pretty quickly if you get a lot of samples to try....I know many BNers agree that its always best to sample and I did in the beginning...Now I'm pretty good at knowing what notes I love and ones I need to stand clear of...I bought Bentley Intense blindly on ebay and LOVE the stuff...A good buddy of mine on BN told me to try because he kinda knows what I like....But I'd say 60-70% of the stuff I buy now is totally blind...I love the element of surprise, both good and bad....lol

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I have to be honest....I get tired of dropping money 5-7 bucks on a sample...It ALSO adds up pretty quickly if you get a lot of samples to try....I know many BNers agree that its always best to sample and I did in the beginning...Now I'm pretty good at knowing what notes I love and ones I need to stand clear of...I bought Bentley Intense blindly on ebay and LOVE the stuff...A good buddy of mine on BN told me to try because he kinda knows what I like....But I'd say 60-70% of the stuff I buy now is totally blind...I love the element of surprise, both good and bad....lol

I agree. Blind buys are fun, but I do my homework first to at least get the odds in my favor. Samples are not my bag, really. I also loathe the whole concept of decants. Seems so untidy and unsanitary. Snobby? Maybe. We all have our peculiarities.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I agree. Blind buys are fun, but I do my homework first to at least get the odds in my favor. Samples are not my bag, really. I also loathe the whole concept of decants. Seems so untidy and unsanitary. Snobby? Maybe. We all have our peculiarities.
    lol...good point Chuck....and don't get me wrong...If its a particularly difficult sounding fragrance with notes that Im like "hmmmm.." then I might get some samples, but Im very impatient and waiting a week to get samples, then deciding, then buying is very mundane and boring to me..I like the element of surprise....BUT in saying all of that, I also have been burned a few times too.....just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Blind buys are fun, but I do my homework first to at least get the odds in my favor. Samples are not my bag, really. I also loathe the whole concept of decants. Seems so untidy and unsanitary. Snobby? Maybe. We all have our peculiarities.
    Pretty much the way I operate also. It's a "peculiarity" I'm fine with.

(2688)

I rarely blind buy anymore. Bentley Intense is a nice fragrance, especially the boozy top and heart notes. The drydown gets really sweet. Too sweet for me.

blind buy this is the best man perfume of the year

Just check the reviews before you buy

Both quite a bit different imo. Bentley seems safe enough.

The 'Intense' is very leathery

Both tremendous value though

I just blind bought this, I'm trusting all the fabulous reviews on this frag from both basenotes and fragrantica. Here are probably my favorite fragrances of all time: Interlude Man, Jubilation XXV, Lyric Man, Memoir Man, Epic Man. See a trend (yes I love Amouage, they are quite a paragon of opulence) I'm hoping that Bentley Intense exudes the same spirit as any of these fragrances and I will be quite pleased. I LOVE incense.

It's a safe blind buy compared to plenty of things available, and very likable when using trigger control. But as said repeatedly, sample if possible.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Personally I'd wait until you can sample it or until the price comes down. It may be the board darling right now but, for example, where's Spicebomb now?
    Correct, as usual
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

From what I'm seeing online, there is something that strikes me as a bit odd regarding both the Bentley for Men EDT and the Bentley for Men Intense EDP:

Why is it, that the EDP, which is an "Intense" Parfum version.....and seems to be selling much more than the original (according to reviews and the number of people on various online fragrance sites that own one or the other)......but yet, the price between the two is not much of a (or any) difference at all?

Wouldn't you think that "cost of ingredients" (EDT versus EDP concentration) as well as "supply and demand" (more of an available supply of the EDT, with the demand for the Intense EDP being higher) would indicate that there SHOULD be at least a somewhat significant difference in the price between these two???

Not sure if that's odd, many items we see "markups" from one EDT to and EDP, you could assume that the costs are higher, but unless you know for sure then its just a guess. You would need to know the cost of ingredients and then break it down to how much they bought and if any discounts were achieved because of how they sourced or bought in mass quantities...We have bee "trained" to think that EDP should cost more than EDT because that is what has been told\given to us, when in fact the cost could be minimal and in the case of the Bentley fragrances they are not marking up the Intense as much as they could.....

You are using a subset of a subset to make a "bigger picture" conclusion. While it may be popular here and other forums this is a VERY small portion of the actual buying public. The darlings that sell well here and are sought after may not sell well at all in fact which is why the often get discontinued.