Code of Conduct

Default OPIUM by YSL, year 2013: 11 different bottles blind-test.

The history of the "reformulations" involving Opium started many years ago -probably in the mid-80s- but only since 2008-2009 it began a serious -very serious- question.
    Reformulations since 2008-2009 were one of the most hot and.discussed topics, and you can find dozens of articles over the Net about it. All contributors, however, agree on a fact: Opium is no longer the same scent than before, opulent, rich and magnificent, a real symbol of a Golden Era.
    The aspect about we want to focuse on, however, is an alleged "Year 2013 Reformulation" that - according to some people- made Opium coming back to its ancient days and former glory. True or false?

Let's go and verify it, with the usual "blind-test" using 11 different bottles, from different ages.

http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...hes-blind.html

Default Re: OPIUM by YSL, year 2013: 11 different bottles blind-test.

Thank you...and Damn the IFRA and reformulations!

Thank you, Andre, I really appreciate the research and comparisons you're doing on these classics.

I read this article to but have not seen any confirmation from anyone else? Has any one tried this recent 2013+ formula of Opium ..

Blog Entries

I've been waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison of the $10 version in the gift box they sell at Walgreens versus the $100 re-release at Saks Fifth Avenue....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison of the $10 version in the gift box they sell at Walgreens versus the $100 re-release at Saks Fifth Avenue....
    I have no idea what you are talking about.. 10$ version at walgreens? Are you talking about YSL Opium or those cheap imitation fragrances? I dont know .. But Opium was reformulated and repackaged in 2009 and it was very different from the vintage opium .. But supposedly I have been hearing that they changed the formula again in 2013 and that it smells better and closer to the way Opium use to be .. But I have had no one confirm this..

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    But supposedly I have been hearing that they changed the formula again in 2013 and that it smells better and closer to the way Opium use to be .. But I have had no one confirm this..
    Why not do some testing yourself and let us know how you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    ......according to some people- made Opium coming back to its ancient days and former glory. True or false?......
    Many of the ingredients in the formula are banned. 90% of them are regulated to being used in smaller amounts. There might be people who say it smells great, but it probably won't, and whatever it is it will never be anything like it was.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd March 2014 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Why not do some testing yourself and let us know how you get on?
    I would love to but I do not have money to buy full bottles and I do not have a car either so I rarely ever get the chance to go to fragrance stores much anymore.. I am kind of struggling.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Many of the ingredients in the formula are banned. 90% of them are regulated to being used in smaller amounts. There might be people who say it smells great, but it probably won't, and whatever it is it will never be anything like it was.
    Yes , I understand that.. It was completely changed and rebottled in 2009 and the new formula "according to others was horrid" .. I did not think it was that bad myself but I much preferred the vintage.. But I have been hearing that the juice in this new bottle changed again in 2013 and that it is much better now, and much closer to the way it use to be.. IDK not to many people seem to have been paying attention to Opium at all anymore..

Thanks for sharing- quite a few facets of a spellbinding fragrance.