Code of Conduct

Default Discovering Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier scents

We all tend to try out fragrances from time to time, but very few times do we get that ‘epiphany’ moment whereby we just have to follow our noses for more.

I’ve recently started delving into the world of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. The name of this brand may be historical, but the bran has only been around since 1988. The resemblance in style to L’ Artisan is hardly surprising, given that the two companies share a founder.

Two scents from this range have caught my eye over recent times – Route de Vetiver and Santal Noble. Both well-known on these boards and talked about often.

Let me begin with Route de Vetiver, a fragrance that many have described here as being in their top X scents or among their favourite vetivers. If it wasn’t for that weird blackcurrant note in the opening, which smells medicinal and totally off, I would like this one more. It is a great Vetiver indeed. It dries down quite similarly to Sycomore, which in my opinion is just divine. The fruity florals do tend to linger for a bit, but in the end it is worth the weight. I’d be tempted to buy a full bottle of this scent, but as I have Sycomore I am going to pass.

Santal Noble, described by many as the definitive Mysore Sandalwood scent, has been on my horizon for some time. I can’t believe I hadn’t tried this until now. Nonetheless, it lived up to its expectations. I am still deciding whether I need a bottle, but so far this is my second sampling and I have come back to it a few times. It is very cleverly put together. The harshness of the coffee top notes blend amazingly with the creaminess of the underlying sandalwood. At times I can’t detect the sandalwood, but it is definitely there. It’s role here is to bind the pyramid together and whilst I get whiffs of it throughout its progression, it is strangely addictive. I am not a coffee freak, though I do like the odd cup here and there. As a top note, this one is unusual, but it does keep me coming back for me.

What are your favourites from this house? Should I get a bottle of Santal Noble, given my current wardrobe? Discuss!

Default Re: Discovering Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier scents

Great house! My favorites are Jardin du Nil, Ambre Doré, Centaure and Jasmin (this is the perfect jasmine soliflor in my book). Santal Noble never did anything for me and with regard to vetiver I prefer Racine. Happy exploring of this line, which, surprisingly enough, excels in their 'masculine' range.

MPeG is in my top 5 houses - my fav's are Santal Noble, Route du Vetiver, Jardin du Nil, Eau des Iles (another coffee note, however, u should try it, it's got a ton of notes, so well blended), Ambre Preciaux (my favorite amber), Parfum d'Habit & Bois de Turque - seriously, all of them...

I own a few others apart from the above, overall a great house, very under-rated, except for the often discussed Ambre Preciaux, Route du Vetiver, Parfum d'Habit & Santal Noble.

Santal Noble, whether in current incarnation or older, is a grt sandalwood based fragrance, current is much weaker, even then, it's way better than other so called sandalwoods out there. If you get your hands on a vintage, even better.

IMG_6433.jpg

Both is about 80% identical. Good scents.

This house is very good but not famous I love route de vertiver and I think they have a lot good scents

MPG is one of my favorite houses, and I own bottles of Route du Vétiver, Ambre Précieux, and Santal Noble. All three are wonderful, with the two former so monumentally gorgeous, however, that the somewhat less impressive latter (present-formulation SN) comes in third, in my opinion. There are many other amazing offerings from this house that I am looking to eventually get my hands on, like Iris Bleu Gris, Parfum d'Habit, Eau des Îles, etc.
    This weekend, I had a chance to try some of their lesser known male frags from the Laporte era (Garrigue and Secret Mélange) - I didn't like either of them very much, though. I guess it comes with the style at MPG that their frags tend to be sort of divisive and each one is so distinct that it's very difficult to be indifferent to it. You'll either like it a lot or feel totally put off. That in itself is a bit of an accomplishment, I think.
    Last edited by Dane77; 19th November 2013 at 12:29 PM.

MPG is an awesome house. I understand many of their top offerings have been reformulated but I still love the ones I have. Santal Noble is a five star sandalwood scent. Ambre Precieux is a definite top three amber for me perhaps only falling behind Ambre Sultan for the top spot. The cozy Eau des Idles you can snuggled up to the coffee aroma that is surprisingly potent. I only have three at the moment but on my want list I would like to get Parfum D' Habit & Route de Vetiver. Always very classy in their deliveries, a favorite house for me.

Santal Noble is a personal favourite. I don't actually consider it a 'proper' sandalwood but what the hell, it's a terrific piece of work - simply a very creative, satisfying dark aromatic woods. Ambre Precieux is a great amber, too.

It's a house that used to be discussed here quite regularly - before the deluge in niche brands. They seemed to have lost some popularity, partially I think due to some reformulations (Santal Noble being one people here complained about). I don't think they put out that many new scents, or at least they're not advertised as much, which makes it hard to stay in the spotlight amongst so many others.

I had Centaure and liked it as well as Eau des I(L)es, though I sold that off and kept my L'eau Du Navigator which is a bit softer.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Santal Noble is a wonderful scent as are all the others from the house which I gladly own.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

All credited to Jean LaPorte:
    From 1988: Route du Vetiver, Parfum d'Habit, Racine, Jardin du NIl, Eau de Iles, Santal Noble, Ambre Precieux, and Secret Melange
    From 1991: Centaure

Some kind of 1988 roll out, eh?

Excepting Al Oudh and perhaps a few others, as a general rule I've found MPG scents to be quite a bit stronger than L'Artisan. That's good, as fewer sprays do the trick. Then again, I struggle with versatility and some can be easily overdone (e.g. RdV, PdH, JdN). But aside from the LaPorte connection that's the only thing MPG and L'Artisan share, to me.

Santal Noble is a gem and is my favorite sandalwood (sorry Villoresi but it's true!).
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Fantastic House.

My personal favourite is Grain de Plaisir, but it gets little love here. That opening celery and lemon blast is amazing.

Has no one noticed that slightly 'poopy' note right at the top of Santal Noble? Unbelievable drydown though.

their scents on me last a couple of minutes..so I have lost interest!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

One of my top niche houses, if not the top.

i have RdV, SN, Eau pour le Jeune Homme, Parfum d'Habit but my favourite to date is Fraiche Badiane. All mine are the new editions, and all have amazing longevity.

I have puposely put off others, especially Iris Bleu Gris and Garrigue for future pleasure.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Wow, lots of responses - thanks everyone!

Unable to reply with a quote to each of you, owing to stupid security settings and proxy servers here, so here goes:

I have also tried Bois de Turque and was underwhelmed. I wasn't able to detect anything in this one. I had high hopes for it and imagined it might be like Tauer's LdDM, but it was a complete disappointment.

Suffice to say, I am now looking for samples or decants of Eau des Iles and Ambre Preciaux given the above. I had my eye on Eau des Iles from before and have to say I am quite interested now. Surely hope that I don't like all of them, as I don't think the Christmas list can fit so many things for this year...

I too am looking forward to trying this house out - especially Ambre Doré and Parfum d'Habit, about both of which I've heard good things. Wish they'd lose the crystal cap, though :-)

I know it is talked about a lot, but if any fragrance fan has not gotten their nose on Ambre Precieux, they need to...now. It's a masterpiece and a top 5 scent for me no question. So far I've been trying out a lot of ambers (I may just do a write up on this when I get the time next month), and so far this is still my favorite.

Oh and by the way, you can get killer deals on MPG from fragnet. I got my bottle of Ambre Precieux for like $60.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I too like Grain de Plaisir and played with the idea of getting a bottle! Very special yet delicious!
    One should be aware that Bois de Turquie was reformulated intentionally (the manager at the Paris boutique openly addressing it). It was a very quiet, subtly woody, sweetish delight and is now harsher/'fresher' (cedar?) and not too special any longer IMO.

Hmmm.... haven't ordered from fragrancenet since they started slapping on VAT for UK customers and a stupid £11 delivery charge.

Nonetheless, the 20% coupon that I just saw still brought the price of a standard bottle to £74, which is a good 25% off the UK retail prices here. Think I may just go for that...

OctaVariuM - many thanks for the tip!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Hmmm.... haven't ordered from fragrancenet since they started slapping on VAT for UK customers and a stupid £11 delivery charge.

Nonetheless, the 20% coupon that I just saw still brought the price of a standard bottle to £74, which is a good 25% off the UK retail prices here. Think I may just go for that...

OctaVariuM - many thanks for the tip!!
    Very welcome man! Always love reading your posts.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Santal Noble is my personal favorite!
    I own vintage as well as the current formula and both are wonderful with the vintage somewhat better!
    Other favorites of this house are for me 'Ambre Precieux', 'Racine', 'Fraiche Badiane' and 'Grain de Plaisir'.
    (also 'Secret Melange' is pretty underrated here imo).
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

It was L'eau pour le Jeune Homme that started my relationship with MPG. I'm on my third bottle of it now. Along the way, I also acquired Jardin du Nil, Parfum d'Habit and Tubereuse. It used to be a lot easier to sample these in my hometown. There was one major department store that was brave enough to carry some great niche lines up until about 1999. But I've had great luck ordering the MPG's blind - the reviews and threads on this board were very instrumental in making my choices, none regretted.

Can't wait to pull out the Parfum d'Habit as the weather continues to march towards winter!

I know it gets no love here but I will fly the flag for Cuir Fetiche.

Well I ordered Santal Noble. Can't wait to get my hands on my first MPeG full bottle!

Well I ordered Santal Noble. Can't wait to get my hands on my first MPeG full bottle!
    Can't imagine that you will be anything less than pleasantly surprised. Enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yup, now onwards to try the rest of the line!

I'm going to miss being able to afford food!

I have read reviews that Santal Noble has been reformulated with less sandalwood and more amber. I was going to blind buy it but the recent reviews for it on Fragrantica made me change my mind.

I would never make up my mind on hear say - why not just sample it first and then make your mind up?

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I have read reviews that Santal Noble has been reformulated with less sandalwood and more amber. I was going to blind buy it but the recent reviews for it on Fragrantica made me change my mind.
    I own both vintage and current and imo the current version is still very good and worth having.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Have had my bottle of SN for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. Could smell it on my clothes and on my skin just before going to bed, having applied it at approx 9am...

Tried Eau des Isles at the weekend and I was impressed. Ordering a decant from abroad as there seems to be no one that does it here in the UK. I think this just may be FB worthy, making MPeG a popular house in my collection.

Incidentally, tried Sandalo by Villoresi and although the opening was weird, the progression is FANTASTIC!

Have had my bottle of SN for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. Could smell it on my clothes and on my skin just before going to bed, having applied it at approx 9am...

Tried Eau des Isles at the weekend and I was impressed. Ordering a decant from abroad as there seems to be no one that does it here in the UK. I think this just may be FB worthy, making MPeG a popular house in my collection.
    Glad you've had a positive response to this house. They do produce many quality scents.
    (1379)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Glad you've had a positive response to this house. They do produce many quality scents.
    (1379)
    Thanks hednic. Only problem is, I want all of them now and I'm slowly working my way into Villoresi!!

Well decant is here and I showered myself with it. Definitely a FB scent...!
    Not sure i get the whole exotic island theme, but this is a superb scent as I'd expect from this magnificent house.

Incidentally, tried Sandalo by Villoresi and although the opening was weird, the progression is FANTASTIC!
    Well it looks like I am anosmic to the progression/dry down of Sandalo. Got a decant recently as well and it's just not projecting once the top notes have burnt off. Can't even detect anything at skin level.

Anyone else experience this with Sandalo? I get this from Egoiste as well...

Thumbs up Re: Discovering Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier scents

Parfum d´Habit
    Eau des Îles
    Racine
    Vetiver
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I own both vintage and current and imo the current version is still very good and worth having.
    I totally agree - current is still exceptionally better Sandalwood than many other offerings available. Also, as Slayerized mentioned, the difference is not too much...

I've tested 6 MPG scents.

Ambre Precieux: 10/10 The perfect amber, if not a bit opulent for my personal taste. Really impressed by this one. Sold it for Ambre 114, which I find more wearable, but will probably pick it up again at some point. Truly great.

Bois de Turquie: A very interesting, unique iris scent. Hard to pin down with some wonderful moments throughout its development. The only MPG I currently own. At times it feels light and ethereal, suited for the spring or summer. Other times its focused on incense and myrrh. It vacillates between sweet and juicy and dry and bitter. Part of it also reminds me of violet candies. Picked it up fairly recently and look forward to exploring it in greater depth. Unlike anything else I own...it's almost enigmatic.

Santal Noble: An overrated sandalwood fragrance. Though I've only tried the reformulated version, I found little of the depth or complexity in Santal Noble that I so often read about in reviews. No coffee note, no creamy goodness, just a very dry, stark take on sandalwood. Boring, if I'm to be completely honest (just to add, it's possible I'm anosmic to some part of this scent). Owned it. Sold it. Never looked back.

Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme: Good. A nice aromatic citrus with a classic appeal. I'll take Uomo by Villoresi over it any day though.

Eau des Iles: Maybe it's just me....I can't stand this one. Extremely "perfumey" overpowering smoke and florals right off the bat. Smells like something a fancy, portly woman might wear to a Broadway show and I'd catch a whiff of it by the concession stand. Is there coffee in this? I didn't detect any but maybe that's because I scrubbed it off after 10 minutes. Sorry, I just don't get it.

Iris Bleu Gris: Not sure how I feel about this. It's less floral than I expected with a kind of sharp, green opening that I didn't expect. I like that part about it. It feels modern and the lack of soapy powderiness up front makes me think that it's something that I could wear. But as it dries down it moves into a particular territory that I don't enjoy--which is sort of a more traditional floral, powdery impression that seems outdated and doesn't fit me well at all.

I haven't tried Centaure, and feel like I might really be missing out on something there. It has so many notes I enjoy and sounds so easy to wear.

I'd also like to try Garrigue and Route de Vetiver. Not sure if there's anything else I'm overlooking.

My favourites:

Iris Bleu Gris
    Parfum d'Habit
    Pour Le Jeune Homme
    Rose Muskissme
    Magnolia Pourpre
    MPG George Sand
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.