Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Perfume and personality - is there a link?

Did you know, 30 roses, that INFJ is considered to be the rarest personality type? Less than 1% of the population. I found that fascinating, and enlightening. It explains why I often feel I don't quite fit.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, so they say....

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Did you know, 30 roses, that INFJ is considered to be the rarest personality type? Less than 1% of the population. I found that fascinating, and enlightening. It explains why I often feel I don't quite fit.
    Danieq I've been told I'm a INFP, read into that what you will

I can’t assess if there is a definite connection between my fragrance choices and personality. For me it’s mainly emotional, either linked to memory or a visceral response.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Fascinating reading. My perfume choice is 100% from my own nose. If I love it, I'll buy and wear it. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't matter who else likes or dislikes it. I assume others are the same and therefore respect their choices. My Meyers Briggs changed by one letter when I left working in the outside world. The starting E changed to an I. This made me wonder if it's really a test of who we are or of how we're behaving at the time.

I just took that test, I'm an IFNJ also.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Fascinating reading. My perfume choice is 100% from my own nose. If I love it, I'll buy and wear it. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't matter who else likes or dislikes it. I assume others are the same and therefore respect their choices. My Meyers Briggs changed by one letter when I left working in the outside world. The starting E changed to an I. This made me wonder if it's really a test of who we are or of how we're behaving at the time.
    Interesting. Mine has changed over the years. I've always attributed that to 'coming into my own'. When I was younger, I did what I thought people wanted me to do. In my early 30's, I began to say 'to heck with that' and tried to determine what I really wanted/believed/ etc.

According to The scent of desire, a book by Rachel Sarah Herz, there is no connection between one's personality and his/her scent preference.
    How one may perceive a smell is genetically coded in one's immune system but hugely influenced by social, cultrual and envirionmental reasons, as well as learned through life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    I'm reading a very interesting book, lately, on "body image", where the author- an Italian researcher in Psychology- explores subjects like self-image, personality, identity and their less than obvious connections from sociological, philosophical, historical, anthropological and psychological points of view. The matter seems quite vast and multifaceted...

Regarding my personal opinion, I do believe that everything we choose and like has a connection with what we are- more or less consciously- trying to convey about ourselves.
    As I don't believe in existing such things as "personality" in abstract terms, but only individual ones, I guess the only connection is between oneself and their choices, in clothes, perfumes etc.

As a side note- I've found-with me, or with other people- that sometimes tastes in perfume reveal needs or desires that one couldn't guess from the outside...i.e.: stern, slightly androgynous women falling for big, sensuous florals
    I agree with most of what you said! And I love Leonard Cohen!
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 24th November 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    According to The scent of desire, a book by Rachel Sarah Herz, there is no connection between one's personality and his/her scent preference.
    How one may perceive a smell is genetically coded in one's immune system but hugely influenced by social, cultrual and envirionmental reasons, as well as learned through life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with most of what you said! And I love Leonard Cohen!
    Interesting, so all our speculations were for naught eh!? Well it was fun at any rate.

The OP was a question.
    Some of us think there is such a thing as an easy defined, catalogued "personality", others- me for one- don't. Some think our fragrant tastes are genetically coded, some- me, again- think are slowly built through experience..
    It all adds to speculation, I believe.
    Otherwise, let's change the OP in "what's your personality ID and how it matches your fragrance"! I wouldn't spoil the thread in this case!
    (Moreover I believe in Europe- in my country at least- we are much less accustomed to classify personality in the way Americana do)
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Hey, I've also been tested on the MBTI scale and was INFJ, although since I've now become semi-retired and work from home, I notice I've become much more P. So much so, in fact, that I now think I really always was P, and only developed my J facility because of work demands. I love spending hours at a time on the net, researching this and that, and there never seems to be enough information .... including about perfume!

Yes, I do think there is a connection, and that our clothing style will also reflect this. For example, I no longer have to wear suits or any kind of business attire except when giving talks or presentations. The latter demand an image which I consciously put on. For everyday life, I'm usually found in long, gypsy skirts, floaty cardigans or Victorian blouses and lots of art nouveau jewelry! Our home is full of Indian, Middle Eastern and art nouveau pictures and chatchkas. Lots of not particularly valuable antiques, which I love because they're old and cherished and also in many cases quite exotic. And literally thousands of books on every possible topic (my P, I think). So I'm definitely an old hippie, ageing flower child, whatever, hence the possibly hippie style of this thread.

But my scent choice doesn't necessarily reflect this, I feel. Yes, I do like patchouli, spices, scents which take me to exotic places in my memory or imagination, but I still always come back to those roses, with varying accompanying notes. And oddly, before my eldest daughter was born, my craving for rose scents and rose flavours intensified, together with another absolute craving for sesame seeds and sesame oil - I couldn't get enough of either. And she has turned out to be a world traveller who's lived on three different continents, including (with me) a year in Jerusalem, where we both loved going to the souk. So, yes, which came first?

And my youngest is a professional chef, revelling in all kinds of spices and herbs. Which, of course, she was exposed to at home right from before her birth. Did she continue a present taste, or would it have been native to her anyway? I think this whole idea is interesting and I'm so grateful to all who've posted, even those who disagree.

Nice to think we could put on a new personal image with our scent, too. I'd like to be Marilyn, but I don't enjoy the new Chanel No 5!

Interesting thread. Maybe we should start a Myers-Briggs dedicated thread to see if any patterns crop up? (I think I'm an ISFP, by the way ).

I think there must be a connection between personality and preferred scent or type of scents - but at the same time there will also be fragrances that we appreciate on an abstract level. I appreciate the classic fragrances by Guerlain not (necessarily) because I want to go out wearing them, but I love wearing a small amount so that I can watch them unfurl during the course of the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Interesting thread. Maybe we should start a Myers-Briggs dedicated thread to see if any patterns crop up?
    There was a thread on this some time back, but l think it was in the Off Topic section...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Treazon by Ayala Moriel

It would be great to start an MBTI thread if there isn't one already - I will check and see. And maybe start a new one, anyway? Where should it be posted, though? Does anyone want to start it - I will certainly respond!

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    It would be great to start an MBTI thread if there isn't one already - I will check and see. And maybe start a new one, anyway? Where should it be posted, though? Does anyone want to start it - I will certainly respond!

I love this idea, but then I find the whole MBTI thing quite enthralling. It's never a perfect description and people always have variations but I think it's such an interesting starting point in gaining a better understanding of how people respond in various situations. Experiences play a huge part in that too, and MBTI doesn't really take that into consideration.

Would love to take it as I don't know much about it. When I started working there were various tests that took hours to get through......but at the end I was exhausted. But I got the job!
    Always keep Ithaca on your mind. Cavafy

I do not have an answer to this question and I will not even try to make up one. But a quick Google search turned up a couple of books that seem to be related to this issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfumery-Psyc...y+of+fragrance.

http://www.amazon.com/Fragrance-psyc...y+of+fragrance.

If they weren't hundreds of dollars, I would read them. Maybe someone can find them in a school library...

- - - Updated - - -

Another article that I can't see:
    https://biblio.ugent.be/publication/967132

But here is its summary:
    Summary
    Based on a database with actual purchases and a survey with 348 subjects, the link between personality and perfume choice is studied, using the ‘Big Five’ personality structure for the actual self as well as the ideal-self personality. Results of correspondence analyses and discriminant analyses show that only a weak relationship exists between perfume choice and the actual self, and that there appears to be no support for a relationship between the ideal self and perfume choice.

Not to say that one study can have the definitive answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Would love to take it as I don't know much about it. When I started working there were various tests that took hours to get through......but at the end I was exhausted. But I got the job!
    Then you are in luck! This test takes 10 minutes or so. Easy as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    As a side note- I've found-with me, or with other people- that sometimes tastes in perfume reveal needs or desires that one couldn't guess from the outside...i.e.: stern, slightly androgynous women falling for big, sensuous florals
    Can that be right? Big, sensuous florals are the best-selling perfumes of all time. Btw, I see you're in Milan...how I miss it! Also a tiny gem of a village on Lago Maggiore called Arona.

I would be inclined to think that there is a link between perfume and personality at some level although not sure how profound it is.
    (798)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post

Summary

Based on a database with actual purchases and a survey with 348 subjects, the link between personality and perfume choice is studied, using the ‘Big Five’ personality structure for the actual self as well as the ideal-self personality. Results of correspondence analyses and discriminant analyses show that only a weak relationship exists between perfume choice and the actual self, and that there appears to be no support for a relationship between the ideal self and perfume choice.

Not to say that one study can have the definitive answer...
    Thank God, I thought I was schizophrenic or suffering of MPD.

I cannot trace a relationship between my self percpetion, my ideal self and the perfume choice of the day. Joop! is at odds as to me self perception, and have fun wearing it. I like female chypres, so what? Wify says "that's not you" when I wear Cool Water.

As to people using scents outside this hobby, they use what they have been using or use what SAs suggest them to. In those terms, choices are quite narrow.

When these questions arise, this is what come to mind. It is like "social nature", an imprint resulting from one's upbringing and the context of one's life.

I wasn't able to open the PDF of the research you're referring to, darkdreams. Too bad, I would have loved to read it, as I guess I can't fully understand what exactly they mean with actual self and so on...
    I don't get what seems to be the existence of an abstract personality devoided from our daily choices and tastes...
    For me it works like that- more or less, it's a freshly developed theory, thanks also to this thread - the adjectives that I could use to describe a fragrance match the ones I'd use to define my state of being in a given moment or how I'd like to be...

Hello from Milan, ScentFan

What an interesting article, and I only wish I could access it, but thanks for the summary, darkdreams.

As far as the MBTI goes, in my current profession (counselling and therapy) I find it very helpful and mostly accurate. The tests that can be taken online are quire good, but if you want an in-depth analysis you'd probably like to take a weekend workshop, as I did. The facilitator, who'd been trained by the MBTI professionals, explained that our preferences can change over time, and even from day to day, depending on what we're doing and the demands made on us. When I was teaching, I absolutely had to be organized or I would have been lost. The same working as a journalist. It's no good interviewing someone if you haven't organized your questions, but then my P facility allowed me to deviate and pick up on new clues!

When you take the test, you might want to give your typical response, looking back over the past few years. Not what you most feel like this very second, but what's you characteristic response to each question? It then becomes very accurate indeed, in my experience. I think there will be an awful lot of BN posters who turn out to be INFx!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Thank God, I thought I was schizophrenic or suffering MPD.
    Though I wasn't able to read the article, I guess that the idea is that you can't establish a correlation between a personality type (according to the Big Five theory) and the choice of perfume the people in that group made. I don't believe it applies to single persons...

I guess it all depends on how closely one's altar ego corresponds to one's demonstrated personality. Some people must feel integrity between the two -- I am one of these people. However, some people have a heck of a lot of fun with a secret altar ego whom they protect and bring out under only the right conditions -- and I think that sounds fun! Maybe I'll buy some wigs and some floral perfumes and girly it up. My husband would think I've lost my mind!

It's okay to have a fantasy self.

A lot of blokes here like me have confessed to be INTJ which means arrogant and introverted yet with no particular perfume preference.
    But what about blood groups? The japanese like tying them to personality and Deborah Worley ties them to perfume - http://www.scribd.com/doc/142739800/...ional-Searches

More interesting is research that suggests women choose perfume to emphasise their natural scent and thereby attract a genetically different mate - http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...xual-partners/. There is a related perfume finder test here http://basisnote.com/online_test/?lang=en&gender=f and this suggests 1 of 4 perfumes: Red floral fruity, Yellow floral aldehyde, Green fresh, Blue floral oriental. See http://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/ScentOfLove for suggested perfumes.

queen of the universe

I think scent is tied to memory more than personality, and possibly to re-verbal memories. Myself, I think I pursue the spectre of those memories, which may explain my penchant for the old-school civet-laden aldehydes. I also love Amarige because it reminds me of some dime-store little girl perfume I received as a present when I was small. My favorite scent memory story is this one, which I have told before: my daughter bought me Panthère de Cartie EdP at the end of a search to recreate her memory of my coming home late at night from my orchestra gig. She said I smelt like "cold perfume" and searched far and wide for a fragrance that came close. I had never worn Panthère but no matter, I loved it and I loved the bond it reinforced between and my then-16 year old.

ps—fwiw, I'm an INFP, tho I think almost a draw with ISFP. Either way, I am a pretty loud introvert.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

Wow, nemanator, what great links - thank you! I'm a blood type AO, and the personality of an INFJ/P does reflect this, I think. Couldn't do the physical skin type test, though, as not all the images would load. But I do love florals, and the associated mixtures - floral-orientals, etc. A very pale natural blonde with dry skin, my skin has a hard time holding on to any kind of scent so I have to really load up on body lotions to keep my perfume going for more than a couple of hours. As to attraction, my DH and I have been happily married for more than 20 years and he's a Celtic blood type O, so theoretically incompatible but actually great.

Boy, that blood type categorization for perfumery didn't work for me. I'm a B but not into citrus and green. Ironically, it worked better for this theory (Eat Right for Your Blood Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo:

http://www.dadamo.com/

BTW, I ended up with ENTJ for Myers-Briggs, but I took it at work. In my personal life, I'm an ENFJ.

My preferred fragrances are Old School Chypre, Woody, and Oriental.