Code of Conduct

Default Perfume and personality - is there a link?

Do you think your perfume reflects your personality? If - like most BN'ers - you have a collection of frags, do you think they reflect different aspects of yourself? I ask because I've googled perfume and personality, and you can find various tests and quizzes that claim to match you with certain frags. They don't usually work for me, though. But on the other hand, I think there has been some serious research which does show some kind of link. I can't find it on the internet, but I'm sure someone will know.

My scents are very different - chypres, orientals, florals - but all with a large dose of rose, which I love. And I think that note does show something about my love for nature, for calm, for gentleness. That's what it does for me, anyway, and I've been faithful to it for many years now. On the other hand, green, woody scents are often too "down to earth" for me. And I hate obviously animalic scents. I want to smell clean, amongst other things!

Would love to know what others think about this possible connection. Perhaps it's a myth?

Default Re: Perfume and personality - is there a link?

I am not up on the research, but I would be surprised if there were no connection.

Here's a few guesses that I'd venture, just based on my experience of people in general.

I'd say that if you are a lover of many fragrances, it could be a connection to a many faceted personality. (I'd argue that all people have this possibility, but many people live in fear of some of the facets of their own selves and so remain rather flat personalities)

I'd also guess that the bolder the personality, the bolder the fragrance choice. For myself, I'm a pretty bold woman and I'm not afraid to wear a scent that others don't like, or feel is strong. Not that I want to offend or take no consideration, but I'm not wearing it for others and so while I don't want to wear so much that you can smell me a mile away, I'm not going to shy away from a scent just because someone might not care for it, if that makes sense.

This may be similar to bold, but I also suspect that the greater the variety of scents one wears, the more likely that person is to take risks.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on the subject. Great topic Redrose!

Not sure...I have some thought that the enjoyment of classes of smells, tastes, music is linked to personality, but wouldn't have any idea how to link them, would guess that anything too literal would be wrong - roses to me smell uptight, LOL! Sort of rough and overpowering...I think we all likely have different interpretations.

But yes I associate patchouli with hippies, cause those are the people I know who love it (but also my ex MIL, who is *not*)
    I associate the stongly blue men's smells with salesmen.
    I associate classic florals with church ladies.
    I associate clean musks with ladies who wear the flowy indian print skirts, social workers, librarians...

Perhaps our associations say more about us than our perfume choices for ourselves

I like wearing lots of different perfumes but the Reglisse Noire is probably the one that feels like the actual smell of it fits my personality - it's quirky, not overwhelmingly feminine but female, smells sort of geeky to me, oddly. And the only people who have complimented me on this are men who are, well, geeky. IT guys and accountants and insurance guys.

Well, those are my (somewhat disjointed) thoughts on the subject, and I gotta get back to work!

From my strictly personal and subjective viewpoint, there might be a link/an interdependency, but only a marginal, incomplete one. Considering that my fragrance wardrobe is steadily expanding, most, if not all fragrances I own may reflect a certain part of my personality at some point.

But then again, my fragrance tastes are quite diverse, random/unorganized, fickle, evolving and eclectic, it is hard to determine which part of my personality, which exact likes and dislikes prompted me to buy them in the first place. In fact, I feel that some of my fragrances reflect exactly how I perceive myself more accurately, while others are much likelier and much easier to define as the opposite of my perceived self
    (either deliberately reflecting an image different from myself or less explored parts of my personality or even a bit of both).

For instance, I enjoy quite a diverse spectrum of fragrances: from the loud and strongly projection ones to "skin scents", from the clean, unassuming, even unisex variations on citrus and aquatics, to the heavier sides of leather, Orientals, powerhouse, spice, gourmands, from the soap-like freshness to a certain hint of "well-dosed naughtiness", from mass-market to niche (and almost any designer in between), from old-school, almost barbershop-style stereotypical manliness to almost overly experimental, postmodern, androgynous fragrance ventures.
    If all this says a bit about my personality, I cannot surely say.
    But I simply enjoy most of these fragrances, as well as their fragrance houses, notes, note groups etc. - even if not always aware or certain about the associations, deeper meanings, hidden motives, more personal or more publicly perceived, advertised, recognized image behind them.

Ken, your post brought another possibility to mind. Is it possible that the love of many and varied fragrances might also equate to the love of many and varied types of people?

I seem to enjoy many types of fragrance, from lots of categories and the same is true of my enjoyment of people. I adore meeting people from different walks of life, cultures, etc.. who will share about themselves with me.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Ken, your post brought another possibility to mind. Is it possible that the love of many and varied fragrances might also equate to the love of many and varied types of people?

I seem to enjoy many types of fragrance, from lots of categories and the same is true of my enjoyment of people. I adore meeting people from different walks of life, cultures, etc.. who will share about themselves with me.
    Thanks for asking, in fact, it may be very well possible.

One of the many positive sides that I have noticed, especially since joining Basenotes, is the way fragrance is, if not a gateway, at least an association, possibly a byproduct, reflection, both consequence and cause of diversity (including intellectual, emotional, artistic), beauty, elegance/style and so much more. Again, this may just be a personal opinion- but fragrance can enrich one's life in so many ways. So that it may, if not encourage and enhance, at least pleasantly and interestingly accompany various interactions, experiences, opinions, memories, even personal (and interpersonal) values.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for some thoughtful replies.

Danieq, I agree that bold personalities like bold choices, but we might differ about what constitues bold. I think of Aromatics Elixir as being in that category, and I wear it when I need to feel more focused and meet a writing deadline. And I also agree about the love of many different frags reflecting a love of meeting new people and cultures, as I'm the same. But I don't wear all the frags I own. I have many samples that I spray on paper or cloth and carry round with me for the sheer enjoyment of sniffing them, yet I wouldn't want to wear them on my skin for some reason. My career has taken me from journalism to university teaching and counselling, all very people-oriented careers, and on three different continents, and I love frags that also take me on distant journeys.

Robin-inFl, I don't we can have been sniffing the same rose scents! I wouldn't like to think that my top favourite, N'Aimez Que Moi, is in any way sour or unpleasant - but maybe we all have different perceptions of it? The reviews of frags on BN would lead me to think so. And I certainly hope I'm not an uptight church lady! I'm really a bit of an old hippie, actually. Some scents are quite uptight, though, I agree.

Ken Russell, I agree that our choices of scent reflect how we see ourselves, and we all have many subpersonalities, I believe, all of which demand expression at different times. But what do our choices actually say about those personalities? Who are we in our different selves?

Interestingly, when I first phoned Les Senteurs, several years ago, the very wise James talked to me for about 30 minutes, and based on my personality, tastes and colouring, he suggested I might love N'Aimez Que Moi. And he was absolutely right! He sent me other samples too, but that is the scent that I wear again and again, and that is my signature scent if I have one. So what does that say about me? Calm, nostalgic, wistful, hoping for a better world, maybe. And that's what roses in general do for me. They seem to lift me beyond the world around me, remind me of beauty, serenity, the things of the spirit as well as those of the flesh.

Thanks, everyone who replied - you have given me much to think about.

Found all the replies very thoughtful and interesting.

Myself, I don't know ...I grew up around people who always used scent and come from a place where smell and flowers were an everyday part of life. There were always magnolias, gardenias, jasmine and of course roses in our garden, near the herbs. This combined with a huge fruit orchard made scent part of my life. Going through the forests I had always had a love of the trees and wild flowers and orthodox services scent has always been a large part of my life.

There was always an interest in the scents that came from somewhere else, like Japan, the Middle East and even places like Vladivostock.....which seemed to have a perfumery back then!

There are times when I hold out great hopes for a perfume only to be disappointed. And nobody has yet captured being on an island in Greece in winter with an angry sea blowing everything around. But I live in hope!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    And nobody has yet captured being on an island in Greece in winter with an angry sea blowing everything around. But I live in hope!
    If you find that one, could you let us know, please?

Personally, I'd like to find something that caught the mood of a Piraeus rembetiko teke circa 1930...

- - - Updated - - -

Surely one of the most important aspects of this question is: do we choose perfumes that reflect the personality we have, or the personality we wish we had?

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    I

Personally, I'd like to find something that caught the mood of a Piraeus rembetiko teke circa 1930...

- - - Updated - - -

Surely one of the most important aspects of this question is: do we choose perfumes that reflect the personality we have, or the personality we wish we had?
    Now that is good! You know rembetiko???????

Hash will have to be a strong ingredient.......forget the hay notes........hash will be the only bottom note with patchouli!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Now that is good! You know rembetiko???????
    Yeah - I'm listening to Roza Eskenazy right now...

Hash will have to be a strong ingredient.......forget the hay notes........hash will be the only bottom note with patchouli!
    Absolutely - with Papastratos and a little ouzo!

I would think so. It also has a lot to do with a person's mood as well.

A spurious one at best imo. Roses have wicked thorns you know.

So you like lots of different types of fragrance and this means that you like diversity in humanity? Where's the link there? You sound like a Miss World contestant

Are ...' we searching for the personality we wish we had...'? Er, no. Get a grip

I'm sorry but this thread has all the hallmarks of the 'hippie culture' and I find this talk intensely irritating

I think it is generally assumed that sporty, outgoing people enjoy fresh and sport scents, whereas introverted people and those who love cake enjoy orientals and gourmands.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Where do any our tastes come from?

If personality develops from both Nature and Nurture, which influences our tastes the most?

I'm inclined to think Nature -- our genetic heritage-- is the greater component. I am thinking of studies done on identical twins who were raised separately. As adults, many of them reported having extremely similar tastes to their twin, despite being raised in a wholly different environment (Nurture). They used the same products, some even married women with the same name!

It's also been demonstrated that some of our tastes arise in utero -- babies show preferences for flavors, music and voices they were exposed to while they were still fetuses. Whether these preferences continue beyond infancy, I don't know if that has been studied, but the same mother who cooked with garlic when she was pregnant will give the baby garlic via nursing, and the growing child eating what his mother cooks will continue to be exposed to it. A baby who listened to Puccini in utero will likely hear more of the same as a growing child. (But will she come to love Puccini as a result? I didn't!)

Odors? I don't know if a fetus could be exposed to odors-- it seems like a stretch, since he is not inhaling-- but certainly the young child would be. He would come to associate certain odors with his environment. I grew up surrounded by carnations, roses, lilies of the valley and loved them...but also with peonies, and I don't care for them. So, environment may influence but not decide preferences.

I think it still comes back to something innate, something in our genetic code.

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one and see if people agree: Chypre people run the gamut from independent to nonconformist and from quirky to unique or offbeat in a good way.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that is good! You know rembetiko???????!
    I do, too. I'm Greek-American.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Are ...' we searching for the personality we wish we had...'? Er, no. Get a grip
    What's the fundamental difference between perfume and clothing? Do you not think that people choose their clothing style based on their personality, or what they require other people to assume their personality might be? Business suits, for instance?

My guess is that for this to be true, it would likely be an intentional choice. Just in the last week I heard/read (darn, can't recall where) a discussion on the idea that people will not deviate from their comfort zone willingly. So, to wear a perfume which reflected a personality you wish you had would be atypical at least. The discussion was more about the idea that people are only comfortable with a certain level of success, affirmation, etc based on their past experiences. It was pretty fascinating actually.

My guess is that for this to be true, it would likely be an intentional choice.
    Of course. I wasn't suggesting that the subconscious was doing the choosing!

Just in the last week I heard/read (darn, can't recall where) a discussion on the idea that people will not deviate from their comfort zone willingly. So, to wear a perfume which reflected a personality you wish you had would be atypical at least. The discussion was more about the idea that people are only comfortable with a certain level of success, affirmation, etc based on their past experiences. It was pretty fascinating actually.
    Definitely fascinating. Sounds plausible. A bit depressing, though!

What's the fundamental difference between perfume and clothing? Do you not think that people choose their clothing style based on their personality, or what they require other people to assume their personality might be? Business suits, for instance?
    Fundamentally? Clothing isn't normally fragrant

Business suits tend to hide personalities rather than enhancing them

I choose my clothes on the basis of quality, style,fit, colour and obviously whether I like the garment.

I think you may be conflating 'image' with 'personality'

Of course. I wasn't suggesting that the subconscious was doing the choosing!

Definitely fascinating. Sounds plausible. A bit depressing, though!

You're right, it is depressing. But it does explain a lot of what we see in society.

happy is the bleu heart<3

But ... but ... I like bold fragrances and I don't really consider my personality bold at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I think it still comes back to something innate, something in our genetic code.
    I sort of agree with this. You like what you like and sometimes you don't have a real reason for it.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

I think you may be conflating 'image' with 'personality'
    I'm reading a very interesting book, lately, on "body image", where the author- an Italian researcher in Psychology- explores subjects like self-image, personality, identity and their less than obvious connections from sociological, philosophical, historical, anthropological and psychological points of view. The matter seems quite vast and multifaceted...

Regarding my personal opinion, I do believe that everything we choose and like has a connection with what we are- more or less consciously- trying to convey about ourselves.
    As I don't believe in existing such things as "personality" in abstract terms, but only individual ones, I guess the only connection is between oneself and their choices, in clothes, perfumes etc.

As a side note- I've found-with me, or with other people- that sometimes tastes in perfume reveal needs or desires that one couldn't guess from the outside...i.e.: stern, slightly androgynous women falling for big, sensuous florals
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    As a side note- I've found-with me, or with other people- that sometimes tastes in perfume reveal needs or desires that one couldn't guess from the outside...i.e.: stern, slightly androgynous women falling for big, sensuous florals
    Ha -- that sounds like a 'split personality'

La Via del Profumo assigns "personalities" to his fragrances. My two favorites were:

Bazaar - "...the deep fascination of adventure with a homely feeling of security. For this reason Bazaar it is a fragrance that will appeal to extroversive men and women who like to attract attention with an originality that is at the borders of extravagance but without exceeding the limits."

This is true about me.

Gringo - "...a truly gallant and refinely elegant buccaneer. This is the soul of a real pirate that the stylist recognized his young and trendy customers were lacking. Through their clothes they wanted to appropriate only the image of an adventurous corsair, while this perfume exudes his very soul."

OMG. I'm.. Johnny Depp!

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    La Via del Profumo assigns "personalities" to his fragrances. My two favorites were:

Bazaar - "...the deep fascination of adventure with a homely feeling of security. For this reason Bazaar it is a fragrance that will appeal to extroversive men and women who like to attract attention with an originality that is at the borders of extravagance but without exceeding the limits."

This is true about me.

Gringo - "...a truly gallant and refinely elegant buccaneer. This is the soul of a real pirate that the stylist recognized his young and trendy customers were lacking. Through their clothes they wanted to appropriate only the image of an adventurous corsair, while this perfume exudes his very soul."

OMG. I'm.. Johnny Depp!
    Lol, good to meet you Johnny!

The bit about Gringo cracks me up as this word is in regular usage in my neck of the desert and that is NOT it's definition. More of a somewhat derogatory term for whites.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post

This is true about me.

OMG. I'm.. Johnny Depp!
    Hear what profile becomes Milano Caffé, which I love wearing:

"The body of ‘Milano cafè’ is an elegant male fragrance worthy of the sophisticated fashion that characterizes the city: Warm, dry, woody, sober and at the same time rich, with a determined, confident character.
    (..)
    Milano caffè is not your usual masculine, composed of trite notes to appeal to a mass audience. It is, instead, a new and unexpected accord that will appeal to people who make trends, not those who follow them."

A (unusual) male trendsetter, moi?!!!

Though I'd love to be "warm, dry, sober and at the same time rich with a determined, confident character"!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm wearing Verlaine and getting ready to watch the 50th Anniversary Doctor Who special on BBC America. Starts at 2:50 Eastern time.

Whovians, enjoy!

We could include our Myers Briggs Personality profile in this thread and see whether it sheds any light. I'm an INFJ

I find Myers Briggs info to be quite fascinating.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'm INFJ also.

Did you know, 30 roses, that INFJ is considered to be the rarest personality type? Less than 1% of the population. I found that fascinating, and enlightening. It explains why I often feel I don't quite fit.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, so they say....

Did you know, 30 roses, that INFJ is considered to be the rarest personality type? Less than 1% of the population. I found that fascinating, and enlightening. It explains why I often feel I don't quite fit.
    Danieq I've been told I'm a INFP, read into that what you will

I can’t assess if there is a definite connection between my fragrance choices and personality. For me it’s mainly emotional, either linked to memory or a visceral response.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Fascinating reading. My perfume choice is 100% from my own nose. If I love it, I'll buy and wear it. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't matter who else likes or dislikes it. I assume others are the same and therefore respect their choices. My Meyers Briggs changed by one letter when I left working in the outside world. The starting E changed to an I. This made me wonder if it's really a test of who we are or of how we're behaving at the time.

Basenotes Plus

I just took that test, I'm an IFNJ also.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Fascinating reading. My perfume choice is 100% from my own nose. If I love it, I'll buy and wear it. If I don't, I won't. Doesn't matter who else likes or dislikes it. I assume others are the same and therefore respect their choices. My Meyers Briggs changed by one letter when I left working in the outside world. The starting E changed to an I. This made me wonder if it's really a test of who we are or of how we're behaving at the time.
    Interesting. Mine has changed over the years. I've always attributed that to 'coming into my own'. When I was younger, I did what I thought people wanted me to do. In my early 30's, I began to say 'to heck with that' and tried to determine what I really wanted/believed/ etc.

According to The scent of desire, a book by Rachel Sarah Herz, there is no connection between one's personality and his/her scent preference.
    How one may perceive a smell is genetically coded in one's immune system but hugely influenced by social, cultrual and envirionmental reasons, as well as learned through life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reading a very interesting book, lately, on "body image", where the author- an Italian researcher in Psychology- explores subjects like self-image, personality, identity and their less than obvious connections from sociological, philosophical, historical, anthropological and psychological points of view. The matter seems quite vast and multifaceted...

Regarding my personal opinion, I do believe that everything we choose and like has a connection with what we are- more or less consciously- trying to convey about ourselves.
    As I don't believe in existing such things as "personality" in abstract terms, but only individual ones, I guess the only connection is between oneself and their choices, in clothes, perfumes etc.

I agree with most of what you said! And I love Leonard Cohen!
    Last edited by j_mysscent; 24th November 2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_mysscent View Post
    According to The scent of desire, a book by Rachel Sarah Herz, there is no connection between one's personality and his/her scent preference.
    How one may perceive a smell is genetically coded in one's immune system but hugely influenced by social, cultrual and envirionmental reasons, as well as learned through life experience.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with most of what you said! And I love Leonard Cohen!
    Interesting, so all our speculations were for naught eh!? Well it was fun at any rate.

The OP was a question.
    Some of us think there is such a thing as an easy defined, catalogued "personality", others- me for one- don't. Some think our fragrant tastes are genetically coded, some- me, again- think are slowly built through experience..
    It all adds to speculation, I believe.
    Otherwise, let's change the OP in "what's your personality ID and how it matches your fragrance"! I wouldn't spoil the thread in this case!
    (Moreover I believe in Europe- in my country at least- we are much less accustomed to classify personality in the way Americana do)

Hey, I've also been tested on the MBTI scale and was INFJ, although since I've now become semi-retired and work from home, I notice I've become much more P. So much so, in fact, that I now think I really always was P, and only developed my J facility because of work demands. I love spending hours at a time on the net, researching this and that, and there never seems to be enough information .... including about perfume!

Yes, I do think there is a connection, and that our clothing style will also reflect this. For example, I no longer have to wear suits or any kind of business attire except when giving talks or presentations. The latter demand an image which I consciously put on. For everyday life, I'm usually found in long, gypsy skirts, floaty cardigans or Victorian blouses and lots of art nouveau jewelry! Our home is full of Indian, Middle Eastern and art nouveau pictures and chatchkas. Lots of not particularly valuable antiques, which I love because they're old and cherished and also in many cases quite exotic. And literally thousands of books on every possible topic (my P, I think). So I'm definitely an old hippie, ageing flower child, whatever, hence the possibly hippie style of this thread.

But my scent choice doesn't necessarily reflect this, I feel. Yes, I do like patchouli, spices, scents which take me to exotic places in my memory or imagination, but I still always come back to those roses, with varying accompanying notes. And oddly, before my eldest daughter was born, my craving for rose scents and rose flavours intensified, together with another absolute craving for sesame seeds and sesame oil - I couldn't get enough of either. And she has turned out to be a world traveller who's lived on three different continents, including (with me) a year in Jerusalem, where we both loved going to the souk. So, yes, which came first?

And my youngest is a professional chef, revelling in all kinds of spices and herbs. Which, of course, she was exposed to at home right from before her birth. Did she continue a present taste, or would it have been native to her anyway? I think this whole idea is interesting and I'm so grateful to all who've posted, even those who disagree.

Nice to think we could put on a new personal image with our scent, too. I'd like to be Marilyn, but I don't enjoy the new Chanel No 5!

Interesting thread. Maybe we should start a Myers-Briggs dedicated thread to see if any patterns crop up? (I think I'm an ISFP, by the way ).

I think there must be a connection between personality and preferred scent or type of scents - but at the same time there will also be fragrances that we appreciate on an abstract level. I appreciate the classic fragrances by Guerlain not (necessarily) because I want to go out wearing them, but I love wearing a small amount so that I can watch them unfurl during the course of the day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Interesting thread. Maybe we should start a Myers-Briggs dedicated thread to see if any patterns crop up?
    There was a thread on this some time back, but l think it was in the Off Topic section...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

It would be great to start an MBTI thread if there isn't one already - I will check and see. And maybe start a new one, anyway? Where should it be posted, though? Does anyone want to start it - I will certainly respond!

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    It would be great to start an MBTI thread if there isn't one already - I will check and see. And maybe start a new one, anyway? Where should it be posted, though? Does anyone want to start it - I will certainly respond!

I love this idea, but then I find the whole MBTI thing quite enthralling. It's never a perfect description and people always have variations but I think it's such an interesting starting point in gaining a better understanding of how people respond in various situations. Experiences play a huge part in that too, and MBTI doesn't really take that into consideration.

Would love to take it as I don't know much about it. When I started working there were various tests that took hours to get through......but at the end I was exhausted. But I got the job!

I do not have an answer to this question and I will not even try to make up one. But a quick Google search turned up a couple of books that seem to be related to this issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfumery-Psyc...y+of+fragrance.

http://www.amazon.com/Fragrance-psyc...y+of+fragrance.

If they weren't hundreds of dollars, I would read them. Maybe someone can find them in a school library...

- - - Updated - - -

Another article that I can't see:
    https://biblio.ugent.be/publication/967132

But here is its summary:
    Summary
    Based on a database with actual purchases and a survey with 348 subjects, the link between personality and perfume choice is studied, using the ‘Big Five’ personality structure for the actual self as well as the ideal-self personality. Results of correspondence analyses and discriminant analyses show that only a weak relationship exists between perfume choice and the actual self, and that there appears to be no support for a relationship between the ideal self and perfume choice.

Not to say that one study can have the definitive answer...

Would love to take it as I don't know much about it. When I started working there were various tests that took hours to get through......but at the end I was exhausted. But I got the job!
    Then you are in luck! This test takes 10 minutes or so. Easy as can be.

Can that be right? Big, sensuous florals are the best-selling perfumes of all time. Btw, I see you're in Milan...how I miss it! Also a tiny gem of a village on Lago Maggiore called Arona.

I would be inclined to think that there is a link between perfume and personality at some level although not sure how profound it is.
    (798)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post

Summary

Based on a database with actual purchases and a survey with 348 subjects, the link between personality and perfume choice is studied, using the ‘Big Five’ personality structure for the actual self as well as the ideal-self personality. Results of correspondence analyses and discriminant analyses show that only a weak relationship exists between perfume choice and the actual self, and that there appears to be no support for a relationship between the ideal self and perfume choice.

Not to say that one study can have the definitive answer...
    Thank God, I thought I was schizophrenic or suffering of MPD.

I cannot trace a relationship between my self percpetion, my ideal self and the perfume choice of the day. Joop! is at odds as to me self perception, and have fun wearing it. I like female chypres, so what? Wify says "that's not you" when I wear Cool Water.

As to people using scents outside this hobby, they use what they have been using or use what SAs suggest them to. In those terms, choices are quite narrow.

When these questions arise, this is what come to mind. It is like "social nature", an imprint resulting from one's upbringing and the context of one's life.

I wasn't able to open the PDF of the research you're referring to, darkdreams. Too bad, I would have loved to read it, as I guess I can't fully understand what exactly they mean with actual self and so on...
    I don't get what seems to be the existence of an abstract personality devoided from our daily choices and tastes...
    For me it works like that- more or less, it's a freshly developed theory, thanks also to this thread - the adjectives that I could use to describe a fragrance match the ones I'd use to define my state of being in a given moment or how I'd like to be...

Hello from Milan, ScentFan

What an interesting article, and I only wish I could access it, but thanks for the summary, darkdreams.

As far as the MBTI goes, in my current profession (counselling and therapy) I find it very helpful and mostly accurate. The tests that can be taken online are quire good, but if you want an in-depth analysis you'd probably like to take a weekend workshop, as I did. The facilitator, who'd been trained by the MBTI professionals, explained that our preferences can change over time, and even from day to day, depending on what we're doing and the demands made on us. When I was teaching, I absolutely had to be organized or I would have been lost. The same working as a journalist. It's no good interviewing someone if you haven't organized your questions, but then my P facility allowed me to deviate and pick up on new clues!

When you take the test, you might want to give your typical response, looking back over the past few years. Not what you most feel like this very second, but what's you characteristic response to each question? It then becomes very accurate indeed, in my experience. I think there will be an awful lot of BN posters who turn out to be INFx!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Thank God, I thought I was schizophrenic or suffering MPD.
    Though I wasn't able to read the article, I guess that the idea is that you can't establish a correlation between a personality type (according to the Big Five theory) and the choice of perfume the people in that group made. I don't believe it applies to single persons...

I guess it all depends on how closely one's altar ego corresponds to one's demonstrated personality. Some people must feel integrity between the two -- I am one of these people. However, some people have a heck of a lot of fun with a secret altar ego whom they protect and bring out under only the right conditions -- and I think that sounds fun! Maybe I'll buy some wigs and some floral perfumes and girly it up. My husband would think I've lost my mind!

It's okay to have a fantasy self.

Basenotes Member

A lot of blokes here like me have confessed to be INTJ which means arrogant and introverted yet with no particular perfume preference.
    But what about blood groups? The japanese like tying them to personality and Deborah Worley ties them to perfume - http://www.scribd.com/doc/142739800/...ional-Searches

More interesting is research that suggests women choose perfume to emphasise their natural scent and thereby attract a genetically different mate - http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...xual-partners/. There is a related perfume finder test here http://basisnote.com/online_test/?lang=en&gender=f and this suggests 1 of 4 perfumes: Red floral fruity, Yellow floral aldehyde, Green fresh, Blue floral oriental. See http://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/ScentOfLove for suggested perfumes.

queen of the universe

I think scent is tied to memory more than personality, and possibly to re-verbal memories. Myself, I think I pursue the spectre of those memories, which may explain my penchant for the old-school civet-laden aldehydes. I also love Amarige because it reminds me of some dime-store little girl perfume I received as a present when I was small. My favorite scent memory story is this one, which I have told before: my daughter bought me Panthère de Cartie EdP at the end of a search to recreate her memory of my coming home late at night from my orchestra gig. She said I smelt like "cold perfume" and searched far and wide for a fragrance that came close. I had never worn Panthère but no matter, I loved it and I loved the bond it reinforced between and my then-16 year old.

ps—fwiw, I'm an INFP, tho I think almost a draw with ISFP. Either way, I am a pretty loud introvert.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Wow, nemanator, what great links - thank you! I'm a blood type AO, and the personality of an INFJ/P does reflect this, I think. Couldn't do the physical skin type test, though, as not all the images would load. But I do love florals, and the associated mixtures - floral-orientals, etc. A very pale natural blonde with dry skin, my skin has a hard time holding on to any kind of scent so I have to really load up on body lotions to keep my perfume going for more than a couple of hours. As to attraction, my DH and I have been happily married for more than 20 years and he's a Celtic blood type O, so theoretically incompatible but actually great.

Boy, that blood type categorization for perfumery didn't work for me. I'm a B but not into citrus and green. Ironically, it worked better for this theory (Eat Right for Your Blood Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo:

http://www.dadamo.com/

BTW, I ended up with ENTJ for Myers-Briggs, but I took it at work. In my personal life, I'm an ENFJ.

My preferred fragrances are Old School Chypre, Woody, and Oriental.