Code of Conduct

Default What's going to happen with jasmine in 2014?

I read from several posts that people were stocking up jasmine fragrances. What's going to happen with jasmine in 2014?

I know IFRA set restrictions on jasmine absolute (<0.7%) and jasmine sambac absolute (<4%). But haven't these restrictions been enforced for some time? Or will the regulations become effective in 2014? Even worse, will jasmine face more restrictions in 2014?

I love jasmine. I appreciate any insight on this matter.

Default Re: What's going to happen with jasmine in 2014?

Moroccan Jasmine included ..in this restriction coming up!yeah that too!!alright!!!
    Then...let's get ready boys start stocking and hoarding up on Aventus for they will reformulated again and mess with the composition of Moroccan Jasmine in the formula.....Lol.lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Here's a link to the IFRA website.
    http://www.ifraorg.org

It's hard to think about even less jasmine than there is now - the stocking up must refer to pre-2010 (Joy, no 5, what else)

cacio

I sense more restrictions to come in 2014 sadly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

How will these restrictions impact on small perfumeries where there is an abundance of jasmine?
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Splash Bottles Suck

I will be heartbroken if SL Sarrasins is affected. I discovered this scent recently and think it is one of the best perfumes I have ever smelled.

Natural jasmine fragrances are very expensive and those brands who make them usually don't follow Ifra restrictions.
    So, nothing to worry.

As usual, IFF, Firmenich, Givaudan and so on, are the winners here and will provide 'safe' synthetics for designers and mid-tier niches.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    Natural jasmine fragrances are very expensive and those brands who make them usually don't follow Ifra restrictions.
    So, nothing to worry.

As usual, IFF, Firmenich, Givaudan and so on, are the winners here and will provide 'safe' synthetics for designers and mid-tier niches.
    All major niche houses such as Creed, Amouage, serge lutens, Frederic Malle follow IFRA regulations. When IFRA regulations are not met, they can either reformulate or discontinue products that aren't compliant. Both Frederic Malle and Serge Lutens complained that the existence of their companies might be threatened by these regulations in interviews. But they have to follow the rules set by IFRA. Miel de bois is discontinued by SL because it can't be satisfactorily reformulated.

I think only very small niche houses can choose to ignore IFRA.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    I will be heartbroken if SL Sarrasins is affected. I discovered this scent recently and think it is one of the best perfumes I have ever smelled.
    It must have already been affected. The above mentioned restrictions on Jasmine were passed in 2009.
    Last edited by sunflower77; 20th November 2013 at 02:01 PM.

What are the benefits of being a member of this International Fragrance Association? What is the point of dependence or need that houses are sacrificing well respected masterpieces in order to be compliant? I can't imagine that they enslave themselves for advocacy only. Is it about the material that is provided by certain associated manufacturers?
    Maybe some of you are having more insight – I'd be glad to get some answers/thoughts/ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    Miel de bois is discontinued by SL because it can't be satisfactorily reformulated.
    Are you sure about this one? I tried it a few weeks ago at the Palais Royal, and the SA made no mention that it was on its way out.

Miel de Bois was reformulated and is now only available as a Paris (Europe) Exclusive. I personally did not like the original, but rather love the new reformulated (it's drier, woodier, sharper somehow but in a positive sense).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    So, nothing to worry.

It just makes me wonder if those who benefit from these bans had a hand in causing them.

I don't know but this is very disappointing.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Cheer up -- the synthetic version might be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Are you sure about this one? I tried it a few weeks ago at the Palais Royal, and the SA made no mention that it was on its way out.
    The spay bottle was discontinued. The bell shaped bottle is reformulated.

From Serge Luten's interview in 2011 --

Miel de bois is discontinued. Why?

Serge Lutens: Due to a regulatory issue, a reformulation intervened in the composition of this perfume ... which, therefore, lost its candied timber for the benefit of an ether of honey (a “wooden hive” if you prefer). This fragrance is no longer available in the collection of spray bottles, but is still in the exclusive collection of the Palais Royal Serge Lutens. I hope it will be possible for you get it sometime in the United States.