Code of Conduct

Default Fresh, Woodsy Recommendation?

Hi guys. Thank you for helping me out!

About me: I'm a 25-year-old female elementary school teacher in need of a nice, long-lasting everyday perfume.

Scents I like:
    • woodsy and fresh smells like cedar, sandalwood, and pine
    • some flowers, like honeysuckle, gardenia, magnolia, jasmine, and lily
    • lemon and lime
    • some beachy/oceany scents

Scents I DON'T like:
    • anything too fruity or sweet
    • too much vanilla (I like it in small doses)
    • spicy or incense-y smells
    • powdery smells

Perfumes I've worn:
    • Lucky You, Tommy Girl, and Curve are my favorite scents. I've just been wearing them since middle school and want to try something new!
    • I like Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom, Honeysuckle, Butterfly Flower, and Secret Wonderland. They're nice for bath products but a bit too simple for everyday wear I feel.
    • CK One is nice but a bit...heavy? It doesn't feel fresh enough for me.
    • Bvlgari Amethyste lasts well but is far too simple for me...I feel like it's missing something.
    • Paco Rabonne Ultraviolet smells AMAZING on a friend but didn't work well for me. It's a bit too spicy on me. I love how long it lasts though.
    • I love Vera Wang Princess, but it feels like it disappears as soon as I put it on. I need something that I can smell all day.
    • J'adore Dior is beautiful but a bit pricey.
    • Burberry Brit Sheer is nice but felt a bit powdery/light on me.

With all that in mind, could you guys offer some potential alternatives? Thanks so much for reading!
    Last edited by CeilingofStars; 19th November 2013 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Fresh, Woodsy Recommendation?

Noble Cedar by Chopard (632)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Terre D'Hermès EdT or Parfum
    Ormonde Jayne Woman
    The Different Company - Tokyo Bloom

Oh, and welcome!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Noble Cedar by Chopard (632)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Terre D'Hermès EdT or Parfum
    These are for men, right? Would they be appropriate for a woman?

Basenotes Plus

Hi CeilingofStars & welcome! - we'll move the thread to the Female Fragrance Discussion & see if that helps you more.

Hi there Ceiling.

My first thought was almost anything by Annick Goutal. They're perfectly in-between feeling young and mature; not too sweet and not too bombastic; etc. The only downside is they're also in-between price-wise: not wildly Saks Fifth Ave expensive, but not cheap either. Still, if you come into some holiday money next month, think about trying out some Annick Goutals the next time you're in the big city. Ninfeo Mio is beautifully fresh and warm like you're in a garden; Eau de Camille is fresh and warm like you're in a meadow; and Eau d'Hadrien is big fresh lemon on top with clean woodsy cedar afterwards.

More affordable: How about the original Marc Jacobs? Somehow he gets a mix of beautiful white flowers with a fresh, clean coolness. (Not very word-skilled today; sorry.) It also feels very "comfortable". Lasts all day, usually.

Good luck!

Welcome!

The classic clean, fresh, floral, beachy perfume for women is Eau d'Issey. Extremely long lasting too. I cannot say I love it, but it delivers in that genre.

And I also don't see any problem with wearing a perfume marketed to men. And indeed, woodsy, fresh, and beachy is much more common on the male counter. Encre Noire (for men) is difficult to find, but cheap when found. It's very fresh and woodsy.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Hi CeilingofStars & welcome! - we'll move the thread to the Female Fragrance Discussion & see if that helps you more.
    Thank you! I wasn't sure where would be best to post.

DaveStPaul and cacio - thank you!! They've been added to my to-buy list!!!

The only problem I've generally had with men's fragrances is that they seem too "heavy" or "spicy". I feel like I'm making those things up but I'm not sure how else to explain it haha. The same problem I have with CK One. Basically I like my woody smells to feel like I'm walking through a forest or curled up in an attic reading nook, not like I'm in the middle of a bonfire or lumber mill. :P

Keep the recommendations coming, I'm so happy.
    Last edited by CeilingofStars; 19th November 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi & welcome, CeilingofStars. Great username, BTW!

l have a feeling you might love Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess. lt's a beachy scent with a touch of citrussy bergamot, creamy florals & suntan oil, but l get a big woody hit of cedar from it also. lt's generally only available in stores in the run-up to summer, but can usually be found easily on ebay at any time of year.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Red face Re: Fresh, Woodsy Recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Hi & welcome, CeilingofStars. Great username, BTW!

l have a feeling you might love Estee Lauder's Bronze Goddess. lt's a beachy scent with a touch of citrussy bergamot, creamy florals & suntan oil, but l get a big woody hit of cedar from it also. lt's generally only available in stores in the run-up to summer, but can usually be found easily on ebay at any time of year.
    Thanks for the compliment! ::blush::

You should be a perfume advertiser...that sounds lovely. It's added to my list!

Absolutely, Terre D'Hermès is great for a woman and is a great suggestion for fresh and woodsy. No worries about it being a "men's" scent. It is great for girls too.

Speaking of Hermes, I would also recommend Hermes Eau des Merveilles. It is fresh and citrussy and would be great for everday. The official description on the Hermes website reads: "An enchanting fragrance that encapsulates the spirit of wood, the memory of oceans and the sparkle of a constellation." (I thought that was pretty cool, given your user name!)

You can sample both Sephora, and speaking of, did you know that Sephora will make you little samples for free of anything you want to take home and wear a few times before you buy? Have fun and let us know what you pick!!

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood is a good one.

"An enchanting fragrance that encapsulates the spirit of wood, the memory of oceans and the sparkle of a constellation." (I thought that was pretty cool, given your user name!)
    My my, that does sound wonderful! That's going at the top of my list.

So many to choose from! O_O

Unfortunately I can't really sample things...I live in Korea and it seems like almost all the commonly available female perfumes are of the fruity/cloyingly sweet variety. On top of that, nearly every perfumery requires asking for the person behind the counter to let you sample something. I've tried asking them (in Korean) for a wood/tree smell and they look at me like I have three heads and offer me something that smells like peaches or sugary vanilla lol. So I rely on blind buying over the internet. It's worked out pretty well so far but it's wonderful to have so many new options! I'll probably buy a scent or two a month.

Wonderwood - Comme des Garcon
    Its very woody.

Terre de Bois - Miller Harris

Less woodsy than Wonderwood but opens with a nice lemony note.

for swap/sale:

The fragrance that you're looking for is Lubin Itasca, it's everything you enjoy and a fresh woodsy frag at that.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post

Speaking of Hermes, I would also recommend Hermes Eau des Merveilles. It is fresh and citrussy and would be great for everday. The official description on the Hermes website reads: "An enchanting fragrance that encapsulates the spirit of wood, the memory of oceans and the sparkle of a constellation." (I thought that was pretty cool, given your user name!)
    Just chiming in +1 for Eau des Merveilles it's pretty hard not to like and last a good time. Nice suggestion ErinK! Trussadri is also a beautiful one to try, green/floral/woody with a hint of leather.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by CeilingofStars View Post
    Unfortunately I can't really sample things...I live in Korea and it seems like almost all the commonly available female perfumes are of the fruity/cloyingly sweet variety.
    I've never tried it, but the mention of Korea immediately made me think of

http://www.santamarianovellausa.com/...t/7010392.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/319...-di-Seoul-quot

I think there is an SMN in Seoul.

As others have mentioned, woody fresh seems to fall on the male side of the arbitrary gender divide, but don't let that scare you off. I have many woody scents that I'd love to smell on my wife (if only she didn't hate wearing scents). I think a woman could easily carry off things like Hinoki, Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee, Diptyques Tam Dao (I think the eau de parfum would work better with its smooth lime and woods opening) or any other woody scent

Oh my gosh you guys, I think I'm set for life in perfumes!! Hehe. I promise to post reviews when I try them and let you know how I feel. I LOVE good scents and I'd really love to narrow down a couple of "signature" scents and find out exactly what it is that makes me tick.

Payday is Monday...come fasterrrrr! Hehe.

Sorry, one more suggestion for you. I'd check out Comme des Garcons Sequoia, it's like my other suggestion (Lubin Itasca), but a little more unisex IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Sorry, one more suggestion for you. I'd check out Comme des Garcons Sequoia, it's like my other suggestion (Lubin Itasca), but a little more unisex IMO.
    No need to apologize, my dear! I very much appreciate it.