Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Define Your Personal Financial Limit Regarding Single Purchases

Buy with abandon - $5-$10 (novelty type stuff)
    Think about MAYBE a little and have to actually LIKE at least a little - $10-$25
    Think about and like - 25-$50
    Like a LOT - $50-$75
    Think longer and like more - $75-$100
    anything over $100 to say $250 I would have to adore and think long and hard about
    I doubt I would pay over $250 for ANYTHING unless I someday decide to go down to like 3 scents and only wear those then I would pay over $250 for a big bottle, maybe

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to ask my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I suppose I would break it out about like this:

< $50 = Cheap

> $200 = Expensive

I am not sure what my personal limit would be - I would need to evaluate the fragrance and see if it knocked my socks off, and determine if it is worth it. I have been trying to cut down on my purchases lately, so more and more I am becoming selective.
    This with the caveat of my Aoud's. Some of which are VERY pricey. ~$2000-$5000 per 3ml. please Don't tell SWMBO about that little tidbit.

Most of my more expensive ones are Creed's, Amouage EDP and Attars, Xerjoff, Oh crap! All of them tend to be expensive........
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Before this website, $100 USD was my limit. I saw that as too darn expensive unless it was either a must have or something I knew I'd wear regularly. Now? After buying a flacon of Creed Windsor and Creed Original Cologne, the bar has moved and $100 has now become a "minimum" of sorts.

I still buy some designer scents here and there, sticking the aforesaid limit; but on niche scents, I've made some generous allowances for "must haves".

As of now though, I'm stopping... enough scents in my collection that I've yet to fully enjoy.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Super Member freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything less than $50 for 100ml is not expensive. Anything above it is expensive. My personal limit would be around $200 for a bottle.
    However I think it's a better idea to fix a total budget than an expenditure per bottle limit. Otherwise one often ends up buying bottles that one just likes but doesn't really love or need.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It is total waste of money to hoard perfumes, so my personal limit for another 10 years is 0.

But if i would give advice to novice perfume lovers i would say 50 bukcs........you dont need that Amouage or Bond or 10 niche perfumes, extraits etc.....that is healthy attitude to spending imo

Talking from experience of person who bought 20 perfumes and spent several thousand usd , and see it was a moment of weakness mixed with false marketing lol

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment, I'm imposing an approx £50ish per 50ml on any fragrance and no more than 1 per month.

When I started this hobby, I knew it could become very expensive very quickly. I bought all the everyday staples I wanted and only bought them after searching for the best discounts/couponing/sales etc (part of the fun is the waiting and getting a bit of a bargain, I think). Next step is sampling and buying the less expensive niche brands.

Whilst I can afford to spend £200 on full bottles of the Creeds and Amouages if I really want them, I refuse to. For me, this hobby must be 'affordable fun', based on my income and as I also like my cars and lots of travelling, and hoping to be mortgage free next year, I have self imposed limits. If I earned zillions more, I would buy them of course ! Instead I'll buy all the samples of the expensive stuff so I can join in the discussions. As for full bottles, with my self imposed limit, I can look forward to buying a bottle a month after enjoying all the chat and research on the particular fragrance, and at the best price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    When I go back to New York I just have to stay away from Bergdorf Goodman because I WILL buy a bottle of one of the JARs.
    This is me, too. The only thing putting a brake on it is that I don't know which one. I love Jardenia and Bolt of Lightning, but don't think I know the others well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

To just pull some figures off the top of my head without giving it too much thought, I'd say I personally class anything around or below £25 as 'cheap', and around the £75 mark starts to become 'expensive'. That not to say £75 is any kind of personal limit though. I've (perhaps stupidly) spent several times that amount on a single bottle before.

Post Thanks / Like

My limit is around $350 USD. More than that and I have to think real hard about how much I love it, and only 3 bottles come to mind that exceeded this limit, out of a collection of over 500.

Personally, I think spending more than $100 on a fb of perfume a bit over the top. There are many wonderful frags that can be found for a fraction of that. I enjoy the research and seeking out of more budget friendly frags. I do enjoy some niche, but most of what I have sampled is not worhty of the price for a full bottle. There are alot of lesser known designer houses that produce great scents. I like to look for the diamonds in the rough. That said, I rarely pay over $50 for a fragrance. I don't have financial restrictions, it is just my opinion that it doesn't have to be $100-300 + to smell great. Many frags under $ 100 get alot of love.

I look for value at any price point. I'd probably not spend more than 2KUSD on any individual fragrance though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cheap- 30 and under
    Middle- 30-70
    Expensive- 70+
    I have never and never will spend more than $150 on a frag..
    I do have over 300 - so if I like an expensive scent I will try to get a decant..
    No need for FB's that I can't finish

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I consider anything under 100 to be cheap and anything above it to be expensive depending on the volume of the fragrance. My limit of anything I'll ever buy is 300. That is max I'll ever spend in any given month.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I'd say anything around $75 give or take $25 is moderate, and anything below is cheap while anything above is expensive. Above $200 and it's.... exorbitant. Not in terms of affordability, but how I value fragrances. While I really do like vintage Chanel Egoiste Concentrée, I simply will not shell out $300+ for a partially used 100ml bottle. I have on occasion bought the little 7.5ml bottles when they're cheap enough. I know I'm still paying more in terms of ppml, but it's about the total amount shelled out at once.

Then there's the matter of relative value. If I like a range of fragrances, and one I'm particularly interested in is fetching rather high dollars, considering it leads me to think of what else I could buy with that money and so I don't make the purchase.

Lastly, in addition to price per bottle, there's the matter of monthly budget. If I decide I really want a particular fragrance, I'll have to suspend other interests even if they're "once in a while" vintage examples. There is always "next auction", right?

I personally don't have a limit on how much i can spend on a perfume especially those that i like. The only thing i can do is to select where to buy the fragrance from.

Living in Indonesia doesn't help having this hobby. So the only way to buy perfume is when I'm travelling abroad, Online or through my friends who live in another country.

Let's say I want to buy La Collection Privee Dior. The closest place that i can get is at Singapore. Even if I'm at Singapore now, I'd probably not buy them there since the price is around USD 250 for 125ml. I'd most definitely ask my friend from the states to help me buy them for 170 + tax and wait until they return to Indonesia or until they can ship them to me.

So i guess my control in this hobby would be patience as opposed to cost. Of course anything above USD 300 is considered expensive, but it wouldn't stop me from buying the scent that i really like.

Post Thanks / Like

250$ will be my max limit for 100 ml bottle

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

I think if I'm wowed enough by the fragrance then ill buy it regardless, although anything over $700 would give me serious doubts. With that being said I've never wanted anything that price prevented me from buying.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    You'll have to ask my wife.
    +1 ...haha

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

No absolute limits for me as I seldom stick to any of them anyway, lol. But I'm a sensible user; If I like a fragrance well enough, I'll try to get in on a split as I think full bottles don't fit well into a large and varied wardrobe. If I'm contemplating a $300+ fragrance purchase I'd ask myself if I'm foregoing anything else (non-fragrance related) I might enjoy more with a similar expenditure... Opportunity cost often gets overlooked.

Anyway I subscribe to the idea that the most expensive fragrance is the one we never use.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Average Joe: Cheap = <$30 , Expensive = <$50
    Collector: Cheap = <$50 , Expensive = <$100

I rarely would ever spend more than $150 for a bottle. I think $200 is my max.

I've just found so many good options under 200 that I'd never need to spend more.

Post Thanks / Like

If I like the fragrance, I buy it without considering the price.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If I've tried the fragrance, $250 max as of now. $150 blind. Cheap I would say under $40.

Post Thanks / Like

I try not to go over $300. If a fragrance is more than that, I usually get a decant instead. That's why I only bought a 50ml decant of Windsor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ...the most expensive fragrance is the one we never use.
    'Nuff said. Definitely sums it all up best!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

^ agree , id rather have a $200 frag i use to the end than a $40 frag i hate

Interesting thoughts on this so far. My limit would be around $150 for a purchase, regardless of volume.

For me, > $60 / 100ml for an 'everyday' sort of fragrance is expensive, and I probably will not buy it. For occasional or special use, > $150 / 100ml is expensive, and I have only exceeded that once or twice so far. Besides, I usually opt for 50ml or smaller for these.

I usually buy large bottles of what's in my everyday-wear collection (The Hermes eaux des colognes, LIDG, Encre Noire, Rive Gauche) and so far have not used a single niche on a daily basis.

Besides, since having bought a lot of niche this year, I have confirmed what I always suspected: There is a special joy to wearing a fantastic yet inexpensive (by one's own definition) perfume, like Caron's pour un Homme and Third Man which I recently bought, after sampling for over two months on and off.

No fragrance is cheap enough for me to buy without thinking.

Post Thanks / Like

For me,

there is no limit, depends on my mood and how much credit I have in my credit card!