Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 21 November 2013

Hi all- have a great day!

Thai Garden - by Feel oud.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 21 November 2013

Good morning!

I was in the Guerlain boutique yesterday and tried the Shalimar Sur la Route ... Mexique. Great stuff! It reminded me that I haven't got out my Shalimar extrait for a while. SO here I am, typing in a cloud of wonderful smoky vanilla.

Hope you all have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    SO here I am, typing in a cloud of wonderful smoky vanilla.
    some of it has wafted up to here!

Trying Skin on Skin, from a sample. The opening is 100% Traversée du Bosphore, but the development seems quite interesting. I'm going to follow it through another- the last one, at last!!- horrible meeting day at school.

Best to all
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Sam's visit to the Guerlain boutique serves as a timely reminder that I need to follow suit in order to give the Parfum Du 68 a try. The note pyramid certainly looks intriguing and If the contents are as good as the bottle it should be quite something. On the "to do" list !.

Mike, great pics yesterday

SotD is Tom Ford Moss Breches.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Love, Chloe for me today.

Wish you all a great day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Exquisite Hour, Annick Goutal. This smells very Chanel to me. Sweet, powdery iris..if it was any sweeter than what it is, I probably wouldn't like it.

((((danieq))))- in my prayers and thoughts. How wonderful that you adopted a child out of a bad situation. I am sure that you guys have made a difference in his life, planting those good seeds. Many hugs to you dear one!

Mike, great pics..especially of the food. Again, glad you had a great time and yes, indeed go get that birthday present!.

(((kiliwia)))

Hugs to everyone!
    Last edited by kalli; 21st November 2013 at 11:30 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Good morning all !. Sam's visit to the Guerlain boutique serves as a timely reminder that I need to follow suit in order to give the Parfum Du 68 a try. The note pyramid certainly looks intriguing and If the contents are as good as the bottle it should be quite something. On the "to do" list !.
    Hello Jon! I gave that one a sniff as well. It's quality stuff, as you'd expect from Guerlain, but I found it a little ... lacking in direction. Don't let me put you off, though.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 21 November 2013

CARON
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling 1000 Kisses Deep this morning.

Yesterday evening I completed a 4 month long wearing of my entire bottled wardrobe in alphabetical order. Today I start the same march with my samples..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning everyone! I had to scrape frost off the car windows this morning so it looks like our run of warm weather is over.

I'm wearing the discontinued Trébol by Gal today.

Hello all. Diptyque Volutes.
    DONNA

Cold here too, but wait until K. comes to report about their bitter cold, I suppose! Or, E. logs in from her tropical forest or sunny beach, perhaps?

La Perla classic for me today.

Ken, this is quite an achievement, one by one! Color me impressed.

Have a nice day.

Bonjour Mesdames!
    vintage,,,

Blog Entries

SOTD - Amouage Gold body lotion

Am on the way to babysit my new grandchild, 10 days old. Only soft lotion on me.

It is cold. Taking the busses routinely, I feel like a shuttle between two households.

Have a great day!
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

The weather here is warm and sunny 31 Celsius or approx 88-ish Fahrenheit. It's a bit late in the day for my brain to work temperature conversions accurately.

A well meaning Sales Assistant spritzed me today with some fragrance that had that sickly sweet burnt carmel note, what is that?! Made me feel ill. Baked goods gone very wrong. I had to go quickly scrub it off.

ExtremeK we would have hoot which would make us a pair of owls is that enough for a parliament? We may need to recruit some more people for NY eat and sniff tour. I’ve had the pleasure to eat dishes so incredibly delicious that I have been moved to curse in three languages and used words that would make a seasoned sailor blush

Roberto is that Alida Valli? Gorgeous photo. I seem to recall her in a Hitchcock movie?

Kbe four months? Wow, that is dedication. Not sure I could stay away from my favourite for so long.

Ursula nwahhh, congratulations on the new grand baby such exciting times ahead for you.

Shades I was really trying to break my Chanel habit but, alas, failing miserably. I'm in dabs of Cuir de Russie modern and a swipe of the vintage extrait for bed tonight.

Last edited by Xscent; 21st November 2013 at 12:28 PM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, everyone!

Ursula
    , congratulations on your new grandchild, how exciting!

T, it is cold here, -7 wind chill with more snow on the way today, but at least there are no big snowstorms on the horizon.

to all who sent pm's or sent hugs, love you guys!

Wearing Guerlain Chamade this morning. Love this one, it's hyacinth heaven.

Have a good day!

Hi, everyone -

(((Dani))) (((Kiliwia))) (((Anyone else in need of it))) - Family is such a joy and such a heartbreak.

Mike - WOW! So glad you had such a fabulous time inthe Dominican. You deserve every luscious second!

Jon, you smell absolutely gorgeous - and the picture's lovely, too! Big fan here of MB (and Japon Noir, and Amber Absolute and Tuscan Leather... oy). And how did I manage to miss the launch of Parfum du 68? Argh! Does anyyone know if it's available for testing this side of the pond yet, and if so, where?

Ken, I am completely in awe... Alphabetically? By house or perfume name? Either way, fantastic! I have a similar goal with my embarrassing horde of samples, but I find I usually need to try them, go back to something else, then check them out again - by which time I've often forgotten all but the most basic of my initial thoughts on the sample scent(s). Bad parfumista! I'd love to hear any advice you might have for staying on track, especially with your sample fest.

SOTD. Right.

Today I wanted something a little sweeter than TDC Bois d'Iris (can those of you in the know give me a compare/contrast between the TDC and VC&A Bois d'Iris-es? I really like the former, have never smelled the latter) and something a little woodsier than Hermes Rouge, but was afraid of what would happen if I actually layered them. So I have Bd'I on my wrists and Rouge in the crooks of my elbows, and have been waving my nose up and down either arm (much to the alarm of anyone who sees me do so), I'm very happy with the result. Will actually layer the two when I get home from work.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Rouge notes: Rose, iris, ylang-ylang, cedar, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, spices, myrtle.

Bois d’Iris notes: Iris pallida, vetiver, bergamot, cedar wood, narcissus, geranium, musk.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Royal Oud

Good morning!

Xscent, it always bums me out that you are going to bed just as I am logging on in the morning! Wish you were here to post with us throughout the day. You sure are decadent at bedtime, though!

kbe, how impressive! Did you make any discoveries during the 4 months period - new favorites of forgotten scents, maybe?

ComDiva, I have never smelled TDC's Bois d'Iris. The VC&A is a very smooth and warm comfort scent iris. The iris is soft and buttery with notes of wood and vanilla. Fellow iris lover Robin at Now Smell This has a lovely review of the VCA here: http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/09/22...grance-review/.

I've got to make it through yesterday evening's posts; have not yet seen Mike's pics! Must do that next! Alas, I id not make it to the mall last night to sniff KC, Jour d'Hermes, and Rose 4 Reines, so that will have to wait til this weekend.

Today in my most comfortable scent, my truest love, Prada Infusion d'Iris. I wore it last night with Jay and I believe he swooned over it a few times. So happy he loves it as I do.
    Last edited by ErinK; 21st November 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Clive Christian No. 1 Imperial Jubilee for Men
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Good morning!

Xscent, it always bums me out that you are going to bed just as I am logging on in the morning! Wish you were here to post with us throughout the day. You sure are decadent at bedtime, though!

Today in my most comfortable scent, my truest love, Prada Infusion d'Iris. I wore it last night with Jay and I believe he swooned over it a few times. So happy he loves it as I do.
    ErinK I can post from bed, not asleep yet! Why limit yourself to waking hours? Little luxuries are the good in my day. CdR is too divine to limit to daylight hours only. Actually, it's driving me to distraction I can't concentrate on my book, time to switch books. Will PM you in a bit.

Good morning, all.

DSH Tuberose over the moringa body butter. It's not as nice as the Caron, LOL. A little too oily somehow, and there is something at the top I don't like, but that part is long gone. Acceptable.

Danieq, never doubt that doing good for somebody makes a difference. People helped me and I never even got to thank them, and they probably didn't know that they made a difference, but just having someone show you that things can be different, and that they care, that is the most powerful sort of help there is. You can't control outcomes or people, but I am 100% sure that your love makes a huge difference, opens the door to possibility that did not exist before.

More big, squishy hugs for (((30Roses))), (((Kiliwia))) and (((danieq))).

Mike, that trip seems just what the doctor ordered. Good for you! So glad you're enjoying Sova

I don't know about a parliament, Xscent -- probably need a few more (epicurean? hedonistic? decadent?) owls to join us. ComDiva's up that-a-way ....

Congratulations, Ursula! Is this the first grandbaby?

I pulled out the big gun in anticipation of today's wintry weather: Ambre Sultan. It's kind of my own little rebellion against the cold.

Can't read now but I hope all is well. I'm testing Keiko Mecheri Oliban this morning.

Basenotes Institution

Today for me, after reading the Slumberhouse thread last night, I broke into my sample stash & am wearing:

Vikt by Slumberhouse

The sample I have must be the original EdP, whereas Slumberhouse just recently re-released this as a Parfum/Extrait. I like it - I do...but I'm not sure I like it as much as Sova.

Glad you enjoyed the photos of my trip. I am **so not** a camera person when I travel, but I'm learning to become one.
    ComDiva - DR is a fascinating place. Where I was, in the city, can be quite dangerous so I'm not sure if I'd recommend it to you & hubby. However the beachfront resorts are amazing, very safe & there are so many of them. That might be more your speed.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st November 2013 at 03:09 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Mike, loved your photos too, that breakfast looks like a heart attack on a plate, but so delicious!

ComDiva, l find the only way to keep track of my thoughts on samples is to write them all down in a notebook, along with the date. l also then post them in the Sample of the Day thread, so that l can easily search for them to refer back to. l would easily forget all about them otherwise!

Very cold here, too. lnspired in turn by ExtremeK's post last night, l wore Cinema again for work today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

ComDiva, the two Bois d'Iris fragrances are entirely different to me. Erin hit it spot on with the VC&A being much warmer, the iris used to smooth rather than make it earthy. The TDC Bois d'Iris is much more rooty, almost sharp, and the addition of cedar continues the sharpness. It is also not as sweet. It is stark, cool and crisp, similar in iris style maybe to 28 La Pausa. Maybe not an exact comparison, but somewhat close to what I remember.
    I wore the VC&A yesterday, so it is very fresh in my mind. The TDC I have not worn in months, but have a travel bottle of. 28 La Pausa I own also, but have not worn since spring. So take this comparison loosely

Oh yes, I almost forgot - today I am in another warm smooth woody, SL Un Bois Vanille.

I won one of the PoL Tauer Phi Rose de Kandahar samples, so I am testing it out today. I smell almondy farnesiana mimosa, spicy rose, smokey oud that was really strong at first but has mellowed with the dry down. It's like Caron Farnesiana with a hint of rose and oud.

Teardrop, that's exactly what I am doing with my samples! Old-fashioned notebooks/journals help a lot! And then, I have four of them already and can't part with any yet. LOL

Cello,
    I see a FB, for maybe, Christmas? Non?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    Hello Jon! I gave that one a sniff as well. It's quality stuff, as you'd expect from Guerlain, but I found it a little ... lacking in direction. Don't let me put you off, though.
    Not a chance . Nothing ventured .....

ComDiva, Moss Breches is criminally underrated, IMHO. Whenever I see a Tom Ford poll it rarely gets much praise, but I always regarded it as one of his best. Hope you manage to get your nose around VC&A Bois D'Iris soon - absolutely righteous stuff. Cello has sparked my curiosity over TDC's version - another for the "to do" list.

Big wow, Ken

Many congratulations, Ursula - health and happiness to the new arrival.

SotE is Roma Uomo.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 21 November 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    The weather here is warm and sunny 31 Celsius or approx 88-ish Fahrenheit. It's a bit late in the day for my brain to work temperature conversions accurately.

A well meaning Sales Assistant spritzed me today with some fragrance that had that sickly sweet burnt carmel note, what is that?! Made me feel ill. Baked goods gone very wrong. I had to go quickly scrub it off.

ExtremeK we would have hoot which would make us a pair of owls is that enough for a parliament? We may need to recruit some more people for NY eat and sniff tour. I’ve had the pleasure to eat dishes so incredibly delicious that I have been moved to curse in three languages and used words that would make a seasoned sailor blush

Roberto is that Alida Valli? Gorgeous photo. I seem to recall her in a Hitchcock movie?

Kbe four months? Wow, that is dedication. Not sure I could stay away from my favourite for so long.

Ursula nwahhh, congratulations on the new grand baby such exciting times ahead for you.

Shades I was really trying to break my Chanel habit but, alas, failing miserably. I'm in dabs of Cuir de Russie modern and a swipe of the vintage extrait for bed tonight.

Yes ExtremeK, Alida Valli.
    The Hitchcock movie you refer is THE PARADINE CASE ?
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Teardrop, that's exactly what I am doing with my samples! Old-fashioned notebooks/journals help a lot! And then, I have four of them already and can't part with any yet. LOL

Cello,
    I see a FB, for maybe, Christmas? Non?
    Well, you just never know, Twolf!!!

Sugi by Comme des Garçons (third scent in Monocle series), posting this here because it's not in the directory yet.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Evening all. L'Occitane Ambre today. A spritz of their new Ambre & Santal on the back of my hand too.

Blog Entries

Samsara this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Yes ExtremeK, Alida Valli.
    The Hitchcock movie you refer is THE PARADINE CASE ?
    ROBERTO you're a gem! I believe it was, she played the baddie. Thank you.

ExtremeK one more owl and we would have a parliament Have dinner plans this weekend and they include oysters, bring on the curse words!

ErinK I'm up! Finished yoga and at work so here if you need me.

TF Grey Vetiver this morning, not up for being distracted.

Hi everyone from cold and rainy San Diego. I'm testing Dries Van Notten from Frederic Malle. I'm not sure if I spelled that right but I'm on my iphone and it's hard to check.

Mike, I loved your photos!!

Hope you all are well!

Cold and rainy in SD? Bummer!

Senusous, EL.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

summer means fireflys

I'm scent twins with Xscent today, as I am also wearing Chanel Cuir de Russie. So elegant and timeless ...

So we had a bit of excitement today here in cowtown ... A Dreamlifter modified 757 humongous airplane accidentally landed at the airport across the street from where I work. They weren't quite sure how to get it to the right airport, nine miles to the south. The runway where it landed is much shorter than what was needed to take-off. They brought in a special crew of pilots with short runway experience and it took off without problems ... except for breaking a few runway lights and a few traffic accidents caused by drivers gawking at the plane instead of paying attention to the road. We happened to not be doing cases at the time it took off, so we ran outside to watch. Very exciting! I saw it made the national news tonight ... http://www.kansas.com/2013/11/21/313...a-airport.html

kbe, very cool idea ... that sure takes dedication to stay on track!
    hugs to all ...
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 22nd November 2013 at 01:02 AM.
    I've trademarked the color bleu