Code of Conduct

Default Burberry London for Men - a keeper or not?

So I have maybe enough London left for one or two more wears. Do I get a new one? Do I replace it with something else? This is the second bottle I've gone through, but the old itch to try something new is very strong. What do you think? Is it a must-have?

Default Re: Burberry London for Men - a keeper or not?

With the upcoming Christmas season I think you should grab another bottle especially at the low prices its currently available at (21.99 at Gordmans,for 1.7 plus you can get a 20 percent off coupon online). Like you I always have an itch to try something new, but I think London is one of those scents that you'll miss if it's not in your collection. I haven't found anything that fits the dark gloomy days of winter and the bright happy days of the holidays quite like London.
    "The mind once enlightened cannot again grow dark" ~Thomas Paine

I dont mean to be an asshole...but how do we know what you can afford. If you like it buy more....if you have money buy something else. I have thousands of fragrances I can afford them....I used to only have a couple when I was broke...I can tell you this if you cant afford to throw it up for sale if you dont like it then dont buy it! you can buy anything at rock bottom price if you look around here and ebay. silly thread.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    I dont mean to be an asshole...but how do we know what you can afford. If you like it buy more....if you have money buy something else. I have thousands of fragrances I can afford them....I used to only have a couple when I was broke...I can tell you this if you cant afford to throw it up for sale if you dont like it then dont buy it! you can buy anything at rock bottom price if you look around here and ebay. silly thread.
    Ummm - we're grown men talking about fragrance and a hobby. In some sense, they are all silly threads. We're not talking life and death here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    So I have maybe enough London left for one or two more wears. Do I get a new one? Do I replace it with something else? This is the second bottle I've gone through, but the old itch to try something new is very strong. What do you think? Is it a must-have?
    Depends on how much you like it. I personally would not be without it. (666)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's good for the festive season and affordable. I would say go for it!

Go with your 'itch'. It's more fun looking for something you haven't tried before.

I seem to remember complaints about a recent reformulation. Perhaps too late to get more?

Being that you purchased two bottles previously, it seems you really like this one. Treat yourself to another bottle.

I agree that if you've already owned multiple bottles of this juice, then chances are you REALLY like it and therefore should get another one....afterall, we're coming into the perfect time of the year to wear it also!

Only you can know if Burberry London is a must have for you. We can recommend other things that we may prefer, but the nose to trust is your own since only you know what smells fantastic to you, and only you know what wears well on your skin. When I find something I love, I'm more than happy to buy it again and again. If that's what London is for you, stick with it.

This may sound strange, but for some reason Royal Oud fits in the same spicy scent space as London for me. And since Royal Oud is one of my all time top 5 scents, I'd choose it instead. But that's me. You have to figure out what pleases you. Good luck!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

London is a keeper for sure!

Personally, not really a fan. Not bad at all, I just don't quite get what the hype is about. And I really don't understand the Christmas association. I will need to wear it again soon and see if I can find the association.

But if YOU like it, you should certainly get it again. In this hobby there are a lot more things that are more expensive than less expensive, so if you like it, it's probably one of the better deals you will find.

Basenotes Plus

I don't get the Christmas association either but more towards Thanksgiving.... Oh wait, not that either. Nevertheless, it's a solid scent.

Burberry London is affordable, back-up bottle worthy, and a placeholder in my collection. A true benchmark of a scent.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Only you can know if Burberry London is a must have for you. We can recommend other things that we may prefer, but the nose to trust is your own since only you know what smells fantastic to you, and only you know what wears well on your skin. When I find something I love, I'm more than happy to buy it again and again. If that's what London is for you, stick with it.

This may sound strange, but for some reason Royal Oud fits in the same spicy scent space as London for me. And since Royal Oud is one of my all time top 5 scents, I'd choose it instead. But that's me. You have to figure out what pleases you. Good luck!
    Thank you for the recommendation - this is EXACTLY why I posted this thread!

it should have been discontinued around here so I grabbed two other bottles even though its longevity is really poor!

Basenotes Plus

Definitely a staple in my collection, great on cooler days, rainy days, etc. Always makes me feel good when wearing it. Very uplifting fragrance. It's inexplicably inexpensive, yet very good. I'd say get that 3rd bottle and enjoy!!

Definitely a keeper.. I get serious compliments on this one.

Basenotes Junkie

London is cheap enough to buy another bottle AND scratch your itch.

It's a keeper for me, but it's really your choice. If it's such a tough call for you, maybe looking elsewhere would be best?

Burberry London has many good aspects, it even has a certain slightly melancholic feel that i like a lot, the only "issue" i have with it is that the drydown is somehow too "warm" to my tastes. That's why i haven't bought it into my collection. But all in all, it's a great fragrance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Burberry London will always be a part of my collection.
    For me, there's no better cologne than Burberry London, especially during the holiday season. It just works.

In my opinion, still a keeper. Comparatively affordable contemporary classic with above average longevity and sufficiently complex and distinct notes.

Get another bottle. Its my most worn Frag and I've even bought the 2009 special edition too.

both ideal for the season

As always a subjective matter. To me, my collection has to contain Burberry London to be "complete". You question it, thus it might be that you don't like it enough to consider a repurchase. When I drain my bottle of Burberry London I'll simply buy a new bottle without thinking should I or not.

For me, London is a must. I have over 150 fragrances, mostly non-niche, and nothing is similar to Burberry London, not even remotely close. In fact, out of the thousands of fragrances I've smelled, nothing is quite like London, except for flankers of it. The special edition one with the leather-ish sleeve isn't bad, it's quite like the original only lighter and more appropriate for warmer weather, ideally Spring, but longevity and projection is crap.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    Ummm - we're grown men talking about fragrance and a hobby. In some sense, they are all silly threads. We're not talking life and death here.
    Good point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Depends on how much you like it. I personally would not be without it. (666)
    666 !!
    Satan is lord!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

3 bottles of London..
    Sounds like your Signature scent

Basenotes Junkie

I would say it is a keeper and not with just Christmas or winter time in mind. I honestly think it is a wonderful all year round scent that works just
    as well (if not better) in the milder temparatures. I currently have a 50 ml bottle that is still about 80%, but I will definitely get a bigger bottle next
    time (assuming they still make it, lol).

My SOTD. Love it.

Not so much. I've owned it and swapped/sold it too many times to count. But...that's just me. No desire for it again.

Wore this today and my wife says "What is that? You smell like I'd imagine Harry Potters world to smell, I love it!" I've worn this many times around her, but I guess it projected more this morning than usual. Not sure how I feel about the Harry Potter reference, but whatever, I guess the books are set in London for the human world.
    "The mind once enlightened cannot again grow dark" ~Thomas Paine

London will always be in my collection...I'm fortunate to get great longevity with this one (with moisturizer of course).
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

London is fine just not earthshaking to me I had heard the longevity isn't up to the norm either. I suppose I should sample it more when at Dillards, Belk, etc. But I tended to like Touch better in that line. It's all comes down to a matter of taste and I would go with what makes you feel the best. With that being said London has some great prices from the online discounters I may recant and give it a better run.

I never had this problem before, but the past 2 times I wore London, I got a headache for the first 30 min. The first time, I thought it was just because I was hung over, but the 2nd time I definitely wasn't... weird, if it happens a 3rd time I might have to get rid of it even though I really like it.

I just grabbed a bottle in a swap and my gf said it smells like christmas. It is a keeper in my book!

I like Varvatos Vintage better for the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I like Varvatos Vintage better for the same purpose.
    Vv is like London's wishy washy cousin. Can't quite make its mind up and never lasts the course... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dazhel View Post
    Vv is like London's wishy washy cousin. Can't quite make its mind up and never lasts the course... ;-)
    On my skin, the EXACT opposite is true. London does not hold up. To each his own.

Basenotes Plus

Love it initially, although it lasts approximately 5 minutes on my bastard skin.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

why not both?

JMO, but everyone should always have a bottle of London - oh wait, no, not everyone, then it would be dreadfully common - it's a keeper for sure though

It's a Keeper.

I like Burberry Brit more

Basenotes Member

A keeper, especially to be used during this season. A terrific gourmand IMO.