Code of Conduct

Default Hermessence Epice Marine Now Available in US Hermes Boutiques

Just picked up my 100ml Epice Marine in my local Hermes Boutique to complete the line of 11 that now exist. (671)
    Last edited by hednic; 22nd November 2013 at 03:26 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Hemessence Epice Marine Now Available in US Hermes Boutiques

whats it like in comparison to povire samarcande or vetiver Tonka?

I went looking for it about 3-4wks at the Hermes store in Chicago and the lady told me it'll be available in the U.S. shortly. I guess if Im near Pizano's Pizzeria I'll pay'em another visit to sniff it
    Last edited by FreshSmell; 21st November 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    whats it like in comparison to Povire Samarcande or Vetiver Tonka?
    Haven't even unpacked it yet. Will be my SOTD tomorrow and will report back.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

A blind buy? lol..... That's the sport!!! I love blind buys

- - - Updated - - -

I hope Ellena was on his A-Game with this one. Poivre Samarcande is amazing from that collection.

People can rant all they want saying it smells like Marc Jacobs Bang, but its Ellena created it first....

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    A blind buy? lol..... That's the sport!!! I love blind buys
    Yes indeed!

Could you imagine if Olivier Creed invited Jean Claude Ellena to the factory to collaborate a fragrance together? That would be mighty impressive, I bet.

I've heard it has the typical Ellena cummin note we find in Declaration and Bigarade.

Congrats Hednic

This thread feels like deja vu
    lol

It's typically Hermessence.
    Transparent.

There's a strong maritime facet. A salty brine facet & an exposed marine growth from walking under a pier at low tide on a hot day.

Very good.

But you need to like the JCE signature style first.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I've heard it has the typical Ellena cummin note we find in Declaration and Bigarade.
    Yep, it does. I tried it earlier this week at El Corte Inglés in Madrid, so I emphasize that this is based on a very brief and superficial testing, but it smelled a lot like Déclaration to me. It has the cumin, the citrus, the spices, and is not as citrusy as Ellena's other cumin exercise, Bigarade Concentrée. Kind of like a luxury edition of Ellena's earlier work for Cartier. No resemblance to Poivre Samarcande or Vétiver Tonka. I liked it, but I can safely say it didn't blow me away... however, I'll be sure to give it a more thorough testing later on. These are only my initial impressions...
    Last edited by Dane77; 21st November 2013 at 11:11 PM.

I've been reading some very good things about this and look forward to your report!

Blog Entries

Note that Hermès.com doesn't have samples of this scent yet (I asked earlier this week.) They said they won't have them until after the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Note that Hermès.com doesn't have samples of this scent yet (I asked earlier this week.) They said they won't have them until after the New Year.
    Yes asked about samples for other people and was told the same thing 30 Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    Yep, it does. I tried it earlier this week at El Corte Inglés in Madrid, so I emphasize that this is based on a very brief and superficial testing, but it smelled a lot like Déclaration to me. It has the cumin, the citrus, the spices, and is not as citrusy as Ellena's other cumin exercise, Bigarade Concentrée. Kind of like a luxury edition of Ellena's earlier work for Cartier. No resemblance to Poivre Samarcande or Vétiver Tonka. I liked it, but I can safely say it didn't blow me away... however, I'll be sure to give it a more thorough testing later on. These are only my initial impressions...
    Maby some Erolfa in there also?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Maby some Erolfa in there also?
    Possibly. You're thinking marine, sea salt, that sort of thing, I guess? It's there, but less pronounced than I thought it would be. I don't remember the Creed very clearly, though, so I'm not really able to make a fair comparison, but Épice Marine is definitely more Déclaration than Erolfa.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Hermessence Epice Marine Now Available in US Hermes Boutiques

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Here's my review. I've to say I found it strongly derivative and uninspired...A lot of conceptualism, a little substance...

http://neroprofumo.blogspot.it/2013/...nd-art-of.html

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

There's a strong maritime facet. A salty brine facet & an exposed marine growth from walking under a pier at low tide on a hot day.
    That's a very interesting way to describe it.
    (881)

Great to know that this is now available in US boutiques. Thanks hednic!

Just blind bought this one in a gift set...thank heaven I didn't get a full bottle.

Arrived today...I must say their shipping, while expensive ($20 for fedex minimum, no free shipping no matter how much you order in the USA) is extremely fast.

Epice Marine is not bad per say, but at the beginning there is this gigantic cloud of cumin, possibly bergamote, and overall a general "BO" stench that is quite overwhelming and unappealing.

I believe there's some more spices / pepper in the first blast was well...all around not very pleasant.

The mid and base notes are actually pleasant though...not sure about longevity, will update and see if I can still smell this tomorrow, spraying it on before bedtime.

That's my main complaint re: hermessense *except for* vetiver tonka and ambre narguile -- those two seem to last, especially Ambre Narguile...my absolutle fave from the hermessence line. Like warm apple pie...mmm mmm mmm!

The others I've tried to far? Fuh-get-aboutit. Santal Massoïa to me is one of the most beautiul and omfg amazing sandalwood frags, but it's gone within 30 mins ffs. At the price they're charging for full bottles, that's just not right.

OT but still within hermessense...I want to order another gift set...I'm thinking the Vanilla one and Poive Samancarde -- what else is good for males that would also be "shareable" with females, but at the same time would grab their attention if you walked past a hottie in the hall at work?

Also one more thing - if I order online, is there any way for me to get a sample set of the entire Hermessence collection, set like I see on ebay? I really don't care how large in size the samble vials are; the prob is I don't live by a Hermes store and whilst blind buying raises my endorphines and gives me that sense of excitement, it seems more often than not, the past few years, I've been burnt, especially on Niche / Exclusive frags...and not really into paying out the arse for decant sites just to get a little bit of their juice, and who knows how long they've been sitting on it and what notes are missing due to improper storage.

Another side note: I probably would have gotten Vanille Galante instead of Santal Massoïa in the gift set, except it looks like they are all sold out of the 15 mls for that set in that frag

Maybe if I call one of the boutiques and order a full bottle of my fave, Ambre Narguile, and ask for a sample set to be included with it that has the entire line?

Looking forward to suggestions from you guys, you guys are the best
    Thank you basenotes
    Last edited by surge; 6th December 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Anyone know if the Hermes boutiques ship stuff out cheaper than the website?

Never actually sampled any Hermessence.

Basenotes Institution

surge:

I don't think Hermes (or Jean Claude Ellena for that matter) is trying to release powerhouse, radiant, tenacious fragrances. God knows there's enough houses putting out scents like that already. Their house style is much more about luxury, minimalism, complexity, artistry, etc. This either appeals to someone (I happen to totally dig that vibe) or it might make you indifferent to them (like many, I suppose), or turn you off.

Hermes does NOT offer a for-sale Sample Pack. The ones you see on eBay for sale are just 'free samples' that Hermes gives out to customers in their boutiques. There have been a few times when the SA's in a Hermes boutique have given me these samples, but most of the time they reserve them for paying customers. It is easy to sample all of the fragrances in the boutiques since they all have testers.

I have no idea what Hermessence would be appropriate for, as you say, "is good for males that would also be "shareable" with females, but at the same time would grab their attention if you walked past a hottie in the hall at work?". I think everyone of us would have a different answer for that question. I find ALL of them to be entirely unisex. However NONE of them should be bought blindly. I cannot stress that enough.

I doubt that if you bought a bottle of Ambre Narguile that you would receive a sample of the entire line. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Or perhaps Hermessences are not for you & your hard earned money would be better spent with other fragrances?

Good luck with your search.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    surge:

I don't think Hermes (or Jean Claude Ellena for that matter) is trying to release powerhouse, radiant, tenacious fragrances. God knows there's enough houses putting out scents like that already. Their house style is much more about luxury, minimalism, complexity, artistry, etc. This either appeals to someone (I happen to totally dig that vibe) or it might make you indifferent to them (like many, I suppose), or turn you off.
    Agreed, but some of them seem to last longer than others -- on me anyway. I honestly agree they are all beautiful. I am starting to take even more of a liking to Epice Man as I can still smell it in the morning after I sprayed before going to sleep.

surge:

Hermes does NOT offer a for-sale Sample Pack. The ones you see on eBay for sale are just 'free samples' that Hermes gives out to customers in their boutiques. There have been a few times when the SA's in a Hermes boutique have given me these samples, but most of the time they reserve them for paying customers. It is easy to sample all of the fragrances in the boutiques since they all have testers.
    That's the problem -- I don't live near a boutique, and I must have ordered at least $2000 worth of Hermes fragrances from their website in the past year -- and never have I gotten any samples of anything. I'm not expecting it to be for-sale -- I guess I just thought that they would reward their customers who order a lot with sample packs -- but I guess a customer buying from a boutique is different to them compared to a customer ordering from the internet? Either that or $2000 USD is not considered enough to be a "good customer" to them because of the exclusivity? Oh well. Maybe if I called to place the order, then they would treat me more like a boutique customer? Just looking for suggestions here aside from taking a trip to NYC to a boutique...

surge:

I have no idea what Hermessence would be appropriate for, as you say, "is good for males that would also be "shareable" with females, but at the same time would grab their attention if you walked past a hottie in the hall at work?". I think everyone of us would have a different answer for that question. I find ALL of them to be entirely unisex. However NONE of them should be bought blindly. I cannot stress that enough.

I doubt that if you bought a bottle of Ambre Narguile that you would receive a sample of the entire line. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Or perhaps Hermessences are not for you & your hard earned money would be better spent with other fragrances?

Good luck with your search.
    Just curious, but why do you say Hermessences are maybe not for me? Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka are one of my two all time best fragrances. And while I do absolutely love Santal Massoïa, I just wish it lasted as long as Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka. I don't know, maybe it's just me like I said...I'm not looking for powerhouses honestly, I'm just looking for light fragrances that are close to the skin, but still last. And so far, Most of the Hermessences I have tried are that way, and are absolutely perfect -- except for Santal Massoïa.

Nevertheless, thanks for your advice...

Looking forward to maybe going to NYC and shopping at the boutique and having a proper sampling of the rest.
    Either that or I'll order another gift set hoping they have Poive and Vanille Gallante in stock.

Thanks again all.
    Last edited by surge; 6th December 2013 at 12:31 AM.

IMO the main problem here is neither longevity nor projection. I find most Hermessences to be based around incredibly novel and skillfully mastered accords. Epice Marine, on the other hand, feels totally at the opposite. it feels like a slightly modernized version of both Declaration and Eau D'Hermes. The juxtaposition between dirty/sweaty spices and fresh/clean citrusy/marine accords has been played ad nauseam. It would have been good if marketed as a whatever Declaration flanker but no way that I'm buying all the conceptualism they built behind it just to justify Hermessence prices.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That's the problem -- I don't live near a boutique, and I must have ordered at least $2000 worth of Hermes fragrances from their website in the past year -- and never have I gotten any samples of anything. I'm not expecting it to be for-sale -- I guess I just thought that they would reward their customers who order a lot with sample packs -- but I guess a customer buying from a boutique is different to them compared to a customer ordering from the internet? Either that or $2000 USD is not considered enough to be a "good customer" to them because of the exclusivity? Oh well. Maybe if I called to place the order, then they would treat me more like a boutique customer? Just looking for suggestions here aside from taking a trip to NYC to a boutique...
    Unfortunately, when placing an order online with places like Hermes, Chanel and the likes, you are just a number to some warehouse and order picker. The person at the other end does not know if you have done $10.00 worth of business or $2000.00 worth of business.

If you want samples, then you should try placing your next order with the boutique and request samples, or pay them a visit. They are generally forthcoming with samples out of the boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post

If you want samples, then you should try placing your next order with the boutique and request samples, or pay them a visit. They are generally forthcoming with samples out of the boutique.
    This is true. When I picked up my bottle of Epice Marine recently, the very kind SA at the Hermes boutique in my area asked if I wanted samples of every other one in the line. I didn't tell her that I already had bottles of all of them but I thought they would make a wonderful gift for an appreciative friend or family member. I was overwhelmed with their generosity, and they weren't skimpy samples either.

(1182)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is true. When I picked up my bottle of Epice Marine recently, the very kind SA at the Hermes boutique in my area asked if I wanted samples of every other one in the line. I didn't tell her that I already had bottles of all of them but I thought they would make a wonderful gift for an appreciative friend or family member. I was overwhelmed with their generosity, and they weren't skimpy samples either.

(1182)
    They are quite generous with their samples, especially when you purchase something from them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

(1182)
    Thanks Hednic, much appreciated advice. I think I'll call the nearest boutique and order through them instead of buying through their website next time I need a full bottle, and maybe / subtly ask for a sample set of the line.

Basenotes Institution

I wore this yesterday & thoroughly enjoyed it.

It has all of the elements that I like about Declaration with a much more toned down spice element & a fantastic whiff-of-whisky in the drydown that is unlike anything that JC Ellena has ever done.

The salty elements are familiar riffs on previous Ellena creations (Sel de Vetiver, Hermessence Paprika Brasil) as well as a slight nod to Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur (Giacobetti did this one, right).

I was a bit afraid of the marine notes, but they're not radiant at all & only seem to enhance the overall salty-algae-driftwood effect.

One small complaint: I do NOT see this scent as a Fall/Winter scent at all. I will be putting it away & bringing it back out in warmer climates. This just screams Summer!

-- Eckhart Tolle

^Thanks for these impressions. Looking forward to trying it.

"One small complaint: I do NOT see this scent as a Fall/Winter scent at all. I will be putting it away & bringing it back out in warmer climates. This just screams Summer!"

Agreed. I'm not an insane fragrance expert, but in my opinion it does seem odd to release this one now...it's much better for a spring or summer scent imho.

Just came back from Hermes Boutique, I have tried Epice Marine and it was nice, I asked the salesman about Sample but he said they don't have yet, but he surprised me with his generosity and gave me this tester bottle for free! I think I will enjoy this 20-30 ml remaining.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Quote Originally Posted by yuyu15 View Post
    Just came back from Hermes Boutique, I have tried Epice Marine and it was nice, I asked the salesman about Sample but he said they don't have yet, but he surprised me with his generosity and gave me this tester bottle for free! I think I will enjoy this 20-30 ml remaining.
    Wow! That was very generous!

That's awesome...see, another benefit I don't get because I order online and don't live near a boutique...sigh :|
    I need to move, lol.

That's my main complaint re: hermessense *except for* vetiver tonka and ambre narguile -- those two seem to last, especially Ambre Narguile...my absolutle fave from the hermessence line. Like warm apple pie...mmm mmm mmm!

The others I've tried to far? Fuh-get-aboutit. Santal Massoïa to me is one of the most beautiul and omfg amazing sandalwood frags, but it's gone within 30 mins ffs. At the price they're charging for full bottles, that's just not right.
    surge:

Agreed, but some of them seem to last longer than others -- on me anyway. I honestly agree they are all beautiful. I am starting to take even more of a liking to Epice Man as I can still smell it in the morning after I sprayed before going to sleep.

[...]

Just curious, but why do you say Hermessences are maybe not for me? Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka are one of my two all time best fragrances. And while I do absolutely love Santal Massoïa, I just wish it lasted as long as Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka. I don't know, maybe it's just me like I said...I'm not looking for powerhouses honestly, I'm just looking for light fragrances that are close to the skin, but still last. And so far, Most of the Hermessences I have tried are that way, and are absolutely perfect -- except for Santal Massoïa.
    I think what a lot of people equate to, not altogether correctly I feel, is that price equals performance (in terms of projection and longevity). Performance is actually determined by composition and ingredients. There is no way an eau de cologne type of fragrance would last 12 to 24 hours simply because the ingredients used are not strong fixatives.

The Hermessence collection is built on JCE's rather ethereal style. That often translates to very light/sheer accords, but also rather short-lived scents (Brin de Reglisse, built on lavender, is supposedly very, very poor in this respect). But the perfumeur himself has stated that he has no wish to change the composition just to improve performance, and that the scents are what they are. Trying to improve the longevity of Brin de Reglisse (or Santal Massoïa, or Osmanthe Yunnan or any other Hermessence with poor performance, take your pick) will simply force the compositions into other directions, most probably less delicate and airy ones, that JCE feels it detracts from his vision. The two you mention, Ambre Narguilé and Vétiver Tonka, happen to use ingredients that are longer-lasting: one is an oriental, the other features vetiver, a well-known base and fixative. In fact, I believe many people have commented that Ambre Narguilé is the one Hermessence that is less characteristic of JCE's usual style, being heavier than typical for him.

As for pricing, is that even related to ingredients (and by implication, performance)? Pricing of perfume is highly 'aspirational', and bears little correlation to quality (of ingredients) or with performance. Some people would also argue that often, the pricing of a perfume has to do with the effort of creation and this also does not correlate with quality or performance.

Great reply Maque -- makes sense logically, except Epice Marine seems to last just about as long on me as VT or AN does.
    Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering a full bottle of AN and another 4 small bottle gift set.
    OT a little...Given the theme of hermessence (light, not powerhouse compositions, beautiful and art in their own right), I'm wondering what to get with the 4 bottles in the gift set. Is there anything available with a light incense note, similar to LDDM from Tauer, but lighter and more smooth? That would be amazing -- LDDM, but JCE style, light and easier on the wearer. Thanks all in advance for your advice.
    Last edited by surge; 30th December 2013 at 06:23 PM.

OK so it's like like 10 deg F and I wore Epice Marine today and it rocked.
    I'm totally sold on this; it has longevity and DOES work in colder weather.
    Definitely FBW, I'm changing my mind about this one...initially I didn't appreciate it's subtleness but now I do and apparently it has great projection because I got a lot of comments from co-workers

Basenotes Institution

I wore this yesterday. I like it, but I don't love it.

I keep thinking the entire time I'm wearing it that I'd rather be wearing Declaration or for that matter Bigarade Concentree.

It borders on aquatic but that part of it is not offensive to me. Rather it's one of those scents that can be interpreted as A Fragrance For People Who Don't Like Fragrances. And I find it surprising that JC Ellena released something so limp wristed and frigid.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I really liked the beginning but by the dry down, a few hours down the line, I get a heavy, dominant salt note that I just don't like. Might have to test it a few more times to make up my mind...

Basenotes Institution

I like the salt part. But that's not enough to win me over.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I like the salt part. But that's not enough to win me over.
    In terms of other Hermès "salt" scents, how do you like it relative to the various "Merveilles" scents? I just wore Eau Claire des Merveilles, which I know you've recommended, and I discovered that it is *fantastic* on my skin - much better than on paper, which was a complete surprise to me. Sounds like this one is not impressing you anywhere near as much.

OK so it's like like 10 deg F and I wore Epice Marine today and it rocked.
    I'm totally sold on this; it has longevity and DOES work in colder weather.
    I always felt this would perform well under any extreme temperature. Glad you had a positive outcome.

So exciting! I can't wait to get my nose on this one! I really enjoy all of the Hermessence line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    So exciting! I can't wait to get my nose on this one! I really enjoy all of the Hermessence line.
    Santal Massoïa was pretty much a "wow" for me - that will likely be my next Hermessence.

It's an acquired taste. I wore it for a week in Phuket by the coast and it was perfect in the heat - like a breeze off the ocean as I stood surrounded by tropical vegetation on loamy, damp earth in the humidity.

Seaweed at low tide + peaty whisky aftertaste + a sprinkle of very fine toasted herbs, just un soupçon, mind you.

The 'algae' note he has used is fascinating - if, like me, you enjoy vinegared seaweed (wakame etc.) then you'll be suitably intrigued. I don't like cumin and it's just a 'passing' note here and it's been toasted, which makes it less 'sweaty' - it's 'dry' and that works for me fine. I don't consider this yet another riff on Declaration, altho it's clearly Ellena having fun.

I think it's a masterful composition but lots of kids are gonna be running to mummy going 'ewwwww' with this one
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    In terms of other Hermès "salt" scents, how do you like it relative to the various "Merveilles" scents? I just wore Eau Claire des Merveilles, which I know you've recommended, and I discovered that it is *fantastic* on my skin - much better than on paper, which was a complete surprise to me. Sounds like this one is not impressing you anywhere near as much.
    Nothing like the salt/amber note in ECdM. EM doesn't smell like 'sexy salty skin', it actually smells more like salt water air. I like it, in fact it's the part of the scent I like the most. The other parts, and how they come together, fail to excite me (yet).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Tried this one at the weekend and found it very poor, its a pass from me.