Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Negative emotions scents

How about iodoform? That's what you can smell in hospitals. I doubt if it's any use in perfumery, mind.

-

Don't remember that smell
    After that aroma chemical spill, I'm less into horrible smells..

Ok.. so I'll report a strange experience. I was following Maritima for a couple of days, and that smell surely
    evokes some strong responses.. When it's strong it's metallic-repulsive.. However, after testing it today, I
    suddenly felt pretty depressed and sad for a couple of minutes, with no other external trigger (though this
    type of mood is a constitutional trait of mine..)

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Apparently some of the chems in carob also occur in quinoa.. Think
    I'm going to tincture some and see..

- - - Updated - - -

Ok.. here's something that smells WEIRD - millet tincture and agarwood.
    Details please! Millet tincture and agarwood seems obtainable to me. What is this smell like? Proportions?
    I smell many plants having the smell of Carob blossom growing also in middle Europe but never tried to tincture them.
    As for the notes evoking negative emotions...
    Oud yes - it can deliver many emotions most of them associated with dark mystery (specially when used in winter)
    Galbanum - it's definietly not calming. Razor sharp - cold and pragmatic.
    White Pepper - Much better IMHO than all thos sulphury notes out there - If You find someone smelling like White Pepper - he won't smell like food - he will smell like evil. Sophisticated evil.

I am growing Voodoo lillies to obtain their smell but it's a second year without flowers Oh well...

My modest and belated suggestions would include too heavy, leathery notes: too much musk, amber and other similar animalic notes, conveying a hint of sweatiness (anxiety-related or not).
    The few "unclean smelling" spices like cumin
    Too heavy florals, leaving a choking, way too oily, overly sweet etc. impression.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Most musks I know aren't really sweaty.. Tonquitone base is a bit animalic, but not really offensive.. Cumin and Methyl Salicylate, on the other hand..

Hi Nizan - I too focus on the spiritual side of fragrance creation and the first thing I learned was to drastically reduce concentrations...for 'spiritual work', you'll be using 0.5% - 1% instead of the normal/average 5-10%. Good luck!!

I've just very recently experienced Tonquitone, so I must note: "a bit" animalic? I was bowled over by it at 100%. It smells like a pair of underwear that I've worn 5 days in a row. My experience with musks has been mostly clean/powdery/laundry, so I was surprised by it. Seems very useful, though.

Tonquitone is what Musk should smell like; I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Tonquitone is what Musk should smell like; I love it.
    Are you thinking of shangrilide, or do you like them both similarly?

Shangralide is an IFF Musk base that is mainly Galaxolide with a few secret extras. Tonquitone is also an IFF Musk base which used to contain Nitromusks but is now NMF (notromusk free). I think it is based on a couple of Macrocyclic musks (rather than Galaxolide which is a Polycyclic musk). Both were attempts at a genuine Musk base. Tonquitone is even more animalic than Shangralide; and I love them both.

I don't know if I was biased by David's opinion when I tried them, but they're both really exciting for me
    Ed - have you tried that underwear experiment, or are you extrapolating? I don't remember anything smelling like Tonquitone from my army days.. I think humans tend to be a bit more sour

Darryl - would you elaborate some more on how you work with scents? We could do this either on the forum (maybe on a different thread), or in private.. I was just talking with IPP about similar issues.

Nizan, are you familiar with Sissel Tolaas' work? For example here and here. Over all an interesting symposium.
    You are the sky. Everything else is just the weather.
    –Pema Chödrön

liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

I kinda lived that underwear experiment for most of my 20s. And maybe 30s.

I've read about it before, but only now I appreciate how hard it must have been to GC, source everything and mix it.. Such dedication!

Geosmin allegedly smells like rain and turned earth, I reckon you could make a good "melancholy" feel from a base of that.

Basenotes Member

Hi! I’d also add wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium) to this list.
    The EO smells utterly delicious, almost the same as a crushed wormwood leaf BUT it really makes me feel quite sad, so I tend to avoid using it too often.. thinking of “poètes maudits”.. I guess it’s the very chemistry of this EO making people feel a bit depressed.

Wormwood's forbidden under IFRA regs, though - it's a neurotoxin. Still legal for personal use though.

Basenotes Member

Yes, I was assuming personal use (and in trace amounts only).

Wormwood is used by Perfumers; for a safer option try Armoise, Artemesia, Sage or Cedarleaf.

Smells utterly delicious? It's so offensive that I find myself walking around the cloud it leaves in the house after opening the bottle..
    And I'm too lazy to check it at 0.1%..

Basenotes Member

LOL! Individual taste and reactions are amazing!

I love it!! I have whole hedges of wormwood, artemisia arborescens, abrotanum etc. and I really have to keep out of those otherwise I’d be always there crushing and sniffing the wormwood leaves. I don’t like artemisia arborescens as much though, as well as I kind of HATE a. abrotanum (this one is quite stinky I must admit).

Thanks David for your input and advice!

Basenotes Plus

Me too, Eleonora, but the oils & stuff are often so very different to sniffing the living plants.
    Last edited by lpp; 1st July 2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Member

Yes, very true.
    I wonder if abrotanum EO would stink even more than the real thing. Mm, no, I’m not sure I really want to know..

Wormwood EO smells pretty close to the actual living plant though (or maybe I’ve been just lucky with mine).