Code of Conduct

Thread: Unusual Find

Default Unusual Find

I recently came across an unusual private sale consisting of remnants of an old Grasse perfumer's lab.
    It consisted of large apothecary bottles containg essential oils and in some cases finished creations.
    Unfortunately sandalwood was not included, however one bottle contained the most beautiful vetiver I have ever come across. Other gems were a huge almost full bottle of Neroli essential oil and the crown jewel was a bottle of "Iris Liquide" which smells fantastically earthy /rooty.
    The finished creations are also stunning........very rich and complex in a Guerlain/ Caron vintage style.

" Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Unusual Find

Lucky you!
    Well done, David!

OK, I envy you.

Blame it on Gucci, though

Congrats!

Great discovery: it looks like the fragrance Cristobal colon wore in renaissance epoch.....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful find David. How on earth did you discover the sale? I bet your not telling.

Congratulations for such an impressive find and thanks for sharing the info and the beautiful pictures. Quite certain that the actual scent must also be stunningly beautiful, especially for vintage/collectible/classic fragrance enthusiasts.

Was there any accompanying documentation, David?
    It appears to be an absolute treasure trove.

Congratulations on your find David! (705)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Shades of Bogue's Cologne Reloaded - http://bogue-profumo.com/cologne-reloaded/ - might you be inspired to attempt something alike?

At any rate, congrats and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Shades of Bogue's Cologne Reloaded - http://bogue-profumo.com/cologne-reloaded/ - might you be inspired to attempt something alike?

At any rate, congrats and thanks for sharing!
    Thanks to everyone for your interest - and thanks rowan for sharing this. I have only about 10 bottles, not a broad enough palette to start creating, but I will experiment/enhance a few fragrances with the stunning vetiver, neroli and iris. Amazingly the bergamot still seems to be in A1 condition after all these years. Note the beautiful handwriting on the labels. We've all lost this skill in the computer age.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Oh my goodness! What a wonderful find David. How on earth did you discover the sale? I bet your not telling.
    Foustie, all the locals here on the flea markets and antique handlers know me and my passion for the older perfumes....luckily one of them heard about these old bottles for sale and tipped me off. Although some people will take advantage when they know you collect something specific, I have found that most people here have been very helpful and not ripped me off. I definitely think it is worth checking out flea markets etc. I have found some incredible classics and rare stuff at car boot sales in the UK. One guy had a whole box of giant vintage L.T.Piver bottles of perfume, (I think they were 750ml equivelant size bottles). To my horror he told me that his wife had been using them to wash her kitchen floor, by adding the perfume to her buckets of cleaning water. LOL !!!.....I gulped and told him I would take the whole lot. They had to be saved from a fate like that !
    I really encourage everyone to check out flea markets more often. I recently found 3 Roja Dove perfumes and paid next to nothing for them....the seller didn't have a clue what he had. So it's not just the older stuff you can find !!
    Last edited by david; 23rd November 2013 at 07:47 PM.

Truly amazing find. Almost museum worthy. You have my admiration, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    One guy had a whole box of giant vintage L.T.Piver bottles of perfume, (I think they were 750ml equivelant size bottles). To my horror he told me that his wife had been using them to wash her kitchen floor, by adding the perfume to her buckets of cleaning water. LOL !!!.....I gulped and told him I would take the whole lot. They had to be saved from a fate like that !
    I really encourage everyone to check out flea markets more often. I recently found 3 Roja Dove perfumes and paid next to nothing for them...
    Oh I love this story, I love it! Using vintage fragrance to wash the floor!!!! and bottles of Roja Dove.......... OK I'm on it.

I love hearing the stories of your conquests and finds David, I don't know how you do it!

Thanks to everyone for your interest - and thanks rowan for sharing this. I only about 10 bottles, not a broad enough palette to start creating, but I will experiment/enhance a few fragrances with the stunning vetiver, neroli and iris. Amazingly the bergamot still seems to be in A1 condition after all these years. Note the beautiful handwriting on the labels. We've all lost this skill in the computer age.....
    Please report back on your experiments! These sound like amazing materials to work with. Might be interesting to use the bergamot to tune up other vintage fragrances?
    And yes - I never could write like that, not even before the computer age was quite upon us.

One guy had a whole box of giant vintage L.T.Piver bottles of perfume, (I think they were 750ml equivelant size bottles). To my horror he told me that his wife had been using them to wash her kitchen floor, by adding the perfume to her buckets of cleaning water. LOL !!!.....I gulped and told him I would take the whole lot. They had to be saved from a fate like that !
    I really encourage everyone to check out flea markets more often. I recently found 3 Roja Dove perfumes and paid next to nothing for them....the seller didn't have a clue what he had. So it's not just the older stuff you can find !!
    Love this story. Congrats on the Roja Doves too!

Like I said before, you're the man when it comes to those rare finds. Keep up the good work. Congrats!

all the locals here on the flea markets and antique handlers know me and my passion for the older perfumes
    Okay, I've decided David - my next major out of Canada vacation (after I win the lottery) will be a marathon 2-3 months ""Flea Market" tour of Cote d'Azur - flea markets that i have visited sell only duplicate creeds...

All the locals here on the flea markets and antique handlers know me and my passion for the older perfumes....luckily one of them heard about these old bottles for sale and tipped me off. Although some people will take advantage when they know you collect something specific, I have found that most people here have been very helpful and not ripped me off.
    It's great David that you have developed that type of relationship with the local merchants. Obviously it has produced benefits.
    (749)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

What a wonderful find. I've always been sad that there are no flea markets to speak of where I live. Back east, there are many and they are full of great discoveries. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Beautiful! I love (and buy) old bottles like that, but around here, they are always empty. Excellent stuff - thank you greatly for those pictures, David!

Basenotes Institution

Love the calligraphic names on the bottles. Thanks for sharing this with us. You lucky dog!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle