Code of Conduct

Thread: Beautiful Roses

Blog Entries

Talking Beautiful Roses

Since we lost our most recent posts, I'm starting another on roses.
    I just bought (on order) Profumum-Rosea Mundi. A most charming new rose available on LuckyScent. I know some of you tried it recently. Please chime in if you loved it as I do. It is a gorgeous thing, IMO. Some other favorites include:
    Montale-Black Aoud, De Rosine- Folie de Rose, Creed- Fleur de Thé Rose, Montale-Damascus.
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd November 2013 at 08:52 PM.

Default Re: Beautiful Roses

Hi, kumquat. I obtained a sample for my Learning Chypre thread. Rosae Mundi must be one of the new chypres because it has no moss, at least it's not listed as an ingredient at luckyscent. I agree it's beautiful. The rose scent is velvety. It has patchouli which I love, also cedar but not sharp or overdone. It has vetiver. I find it muskily delightful and it may end up on my buy list. I'm almost done with Jasmines. When I finish my Learning Chypre sniffs I'll check out your other roses.

Blog Entries

Great, ScentFan! I am so happy there is at least one other person who is aware of this beauty. Purplebird came over and tried my sample. She got a Big Bang out of it, too. When you go to try the Creed, it may be tricky. For some reason this one is only available in a large size. I have a split-decant. The De Rosine is my favorite of all the Rosines, and I've tried all of them. It's the only green chypre rose. They have it at Luscious Cargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rose has been my passion, I'll add a few suggestions. And now I want to try the Profumum too!

I love Keiko Mecheri Attar de Roses (leathery thick jam rose) and Mogador

Atelier Rose Anonyme

Amouage Lyric

And today I'm enjoying Parfumerie Generale Brulere de Rose

There really are soooo many lovely rose scents out there. I could go on and on!

Sadly, the Rosines disappear on my skin.

Oh, and has anyone tried Gorilla Perfumes Imogen Rose? I really like this and it's on my to buy list. It's a much fresher, greener feeling rose to what I typically choose but I really like that it's different in that way.
    Last edited by danieq; 23rd November 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Oh please keep this thread going! Roses, Roses, Roses!!!!!!!!!!!!

((Danieq)) hope you enjoy the PG Rose.......my one complaint about the PG line is that he does not make enough florals. He needs to stop being so tardy and work 18 hours a day instead of 16!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Rosamunda by Laboratorio Olfattivo is in my opinion a beautiful rose
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Oh, man. This thread is going to be trouble for me. I can see it already. Don't you ladies realize how many samples, decant and bottles I have here? I had to buy a storage thing to organize all my rose stuff. Samples, decants, perfume ingredients. So many little bottles...

Oh, well! :-)

I actually just ordered a sample of Imogen Rose as well as bottles of Rose Jam and Snowcake. Snowcake is supposed to be a rose almond marzipan scent - it's a Lushious version of PHI! I can't wait to compare the two!

Rose Jam sounds like it's gotta be pure comfort food. Like eating Nutella straight out of the jar, but without any calories.

I'm afraid to check how much the PROFVMVM ROMA (or whatever) costs. I know it's going to be bad.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Oh, man. This thread is going to be trouble for me. I can see it already. Don't you ladies realize how many samples, decant and bottles I have here? I had to buy a storage thing to organize all my rose stuff. Samples, decants, perfume ingredients. So many little bottles...

I actually just ordered a sample of Imogen Rose as well as bottles of Rose Jam and Snowcake. Snowcake is supposed to be a rose almond marzipan scent - it's a Lushious version of PHI! I can't wait to compare the two!

Rose Jam sounds like it's gotta be pure comfort food. Like eating Nutella straight out of the jar, but without any calories.

I'm afraid to check how much the PROFVMVM ROMA (or whatever) costs. I know it's going to be bad.
    Hi Rubegon

Think it might be trouble for many of us!

The Rossamunda is actually not that expensive and a sample would not be very much. The oud and saffron are really supporting acts in this and the first time my fiancee smelt it on me he thought I had light layers of Coco and Une Rose! (layering fragrances is common with me) He's really fussy about perfumes, but he loved this!

regards

sea roses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Hi Rubegon

Think it might be trouble for many of us!

The Rossamunda is actually not that expensive and a sample would not be very much. The oud and saffron are really supporting acts in this and the first time my fiancee smelt it on me he thought I had light layers of Coco and Une Rose! (layering fragrances is common with me) He's really fussy about perfumes, but he loved this!

regards

sea roses
    The problem with samples is that they often lead to full bottles, especially when the intelligence is good. And I get the feeling that you ladies are like the NSA (GCHQ, for you?) of rose perfumes!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm with you on this one, kumquat. I've either been bored by or disliked all the new, post IFRA fragrances that I've gotten samples of, except for this one. Rosae Mundi is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

Dang it Rubegon, I don't know why you're complaining, you're more trouble than the rest of us. Now I need to consider Snowcake too! I wish they had testers of the limited scents. Does anyone know how long they are typically available? I don't want to miss out for being slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post

The Rossamunda is actually not that expensive and a sample would not be very much. The oud and saffron are really supporting acts in this and the first time my fiancee smelt it on me he thought I had light layers of Coco and Une Rose!
    Oh wow! That sounds like something that we must try! Am I picking up that it has rose and notes of patchouli, cedar, vetiver, saffron and oud? If so that sounds right up my street.

Here is a rose for you guys.... I recently tried Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 Rose de Petra. Here is what I found (edited from another thread).

---------

Is there room for another Arabian Rose? Yes! This is beautiful.

Rose De Petra plunges straight into a rich, intense somewhat peppery rose, supported by fruity notes, and hints of the spices to come. BUT, don't be mislead by "fruity". These are no watery fruits. They are rich and rounded, like jewels. We are told that the fruits are Pomegranate and Lychee. These notes seem perfectly partnered with the rose. The opening does make me think of of another mysterious rose, Histoires de Parfums 1876, inspired by Mata Hari.

As the fragrance develops, the spices gain ground on the fruit and the fragrance calms and becomes drier and more mysterious. It strikes me as having a rose/saffron character although I don't see saffron listed. It is slightly peppery and there is cumin and cardamom and I think perhaps cinnamon too. I really love the mid development. It's perfectly pitched. The presence of the spices opens the door to masculine references and the fragrance is beautifully androgynous. It never becomes too sweet, or too aromatic, as some intense roses do.

As Rose de Petra is very new I'll try to put it into some kind of context. I've already mentioned the opening of HDP 1876, and I do think that it shares some notes or accords with that spicy rose, but it's by no means the same. Somehow it sits somewhere on the same spectrum as some of the Oud Roses, although it's NOT an Oud Rose. It's a fruity, spicy rose. It is not nearly as mineral as Rosam, not as intensely Oud as Rose D'Arabie, but the quality of the materials and the colour, the texture, the mood, the atmosphere of this fragrance shares something with these other wonderful roses. As the fragrance continues to develop there is a dry woody Oudy accord in the drydown. Personally I prefer this fragrance once we are into the drier, spicier stage, once it's mysteries unfold, but I am sure that others will disagree and will get a lot from the brightly jewelled opening.

For me, Rose de Petra is wonderful. It is maybe not unique but it is a lovely interpretation of a mysterious rose. I find it to be calm and beautiful. Projection and longevity are about average I think.

------

It is really expensive but catch it if you can.

Been silently checking this thread, drooling. (My CC was grinning: almost out of nowhere two Profumum Roma FBs this autumn already, and now what? The third one? We will see who wins this time: my CC with her rational thinking or smitten and curious me).

Blog Entries

Well, I got my Rosea Mundi for my birthday! It arrived while I was on a trip. So I tore open the box and splashed it on. Holding it against my skin and drawing down. A great healthy dose. Wow! It starts out jammy and plummy, then morphs into the most perfectly balanced rose and spiced patchouli mix. I can't tell you how happy I am with this bottle! It lasted all night as I was drifting off to sleep I was still enjoying the sweet, rosy glow.
    Last edited by kumquat; 3rd December 2013 at 04:38 PM.

MMmmm, sounds quite delish! Congratulations!

I have another to add to your list which I've fallen head over heals for! Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud! Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Well, I got my Rosea Mundi for my birthday! It arrived while I was on a trip. So I tore open the box and splashed it on. Holding it against my skin and drawing down. A great healthy dose. Wow! It starts out jammy and plummy, then morphs into the most perfectly balanced rose and spiced patchouli mix. I can't tell you how happy I am with this bottle! It lasted all night as I was drifting off to sleep I was still enjoying the sweet, rosy glow.
    Oh well done Kumquat! Enjoy it!

Blog Entries

That sounds wonderful kumquat, congrats & enjoy!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My Rosae Mundi is on the way. Can't wait! To this rose thread, let me add a suggestion I described elsewhere, the hauntingly addictive Mogador.

Keiko Mecheri, Mogador, EdP. And to think I'd concluded I didn't like Keiko Mecheri because of aldehyes! Having figured me out, the SA just sprayed this haunting blend of florals, wood?, and musk on a paper and, when I went unconscious, sprayed it on my hand (I'd informed him I came perfumeless in preparation). What's in it? "Turkish rose, Bulgarian rose, Dades rose absolute, night blooming jasmine" It's not listed, but also musk without doubt. Who would wear it? Me and Mata Hari. They've managed to combine my favorite flowers without making them icky sweet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    MMmmm, sounds quite delish! Congratulations!

I have another to add to your list which I've fallen head over heals for! Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud! Yum!
    Uh-oh. Let me call my new SA and see if he has a sample.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding Rose de Petra to my sniff list. Thanks, Foustie. Here's a quick sniff of untried rose samples on my desk:

Rouge No. 1 by M. Micallef. Beautiful. "peach, tangerine, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, white musk, vanilla, benzoin," but what I smell is mostly rose.
    Paestum Rose by by Eau d'Italie. Smells a lot like Foustie's description of Rose de Petra.
    Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens. Mmm. Heaven. "Moroccan rose absolute, gaiac wood, clove, white honey, musk." An authentic-smelling rose that I can't stop sniffing.
    Rose oud by Killian. "Turkish rose, oud, saffron, cardamom." Oudy without being rosy enough.

I've been thread-stalking I'm rather desperately wanting another rose and am pretty close to buying Kilian's Rose Oud. I must be fairly (or overly) tolerant of oud, because I find this a definite Rose scent, with the oud, saffron and jammy notes only supporting the rose and serving to round out the composition. I gave it a full wearing a few days ago and felt myself cosseted in a golden halo of sweet, spicy, woody rose. It was so beautiful it kept me in a state of zen-like calm on what was a pretty hectic day.

Another rose I love is Aromatics Elixir Perfumer's Reserve, it was limited edition, but so nice I had to mention it. It's like Aromatice Elixir but cleaned up and refined, and with the rose amplified (I like the original Aromatics, but find it a bit "too much").

Also love Parfum Sacre, which has been a favourite for years. This is probably more of an oriental with rose, incense and spices, much like Lyric for women, but unlike Lyric, which is sweet, Parfum Sacre feels dry and understated, a rose oriental on the other end of the spectrum.

Reading this thread, it looks like I need to sample quite a few new (to me) ones

Ah, this thread is becoming more and more dangerous! Some lovely suggestions.

+1 on Paestum Rose.

I love roses! I use rose soaps, hand washes, and drink rose teas. However, I found I am very, very picky about rose perfumes. Although I've sampled many (too many)--both niche and designer--I can actually wear very few.

My favorite fresh rose is Hermessence Rose Ikebana. It's a truly zesty fragrance, and while it has citrus, the rose is clearly defined.

On the other end of the spectrum and another favorite is By Kilian Rose Oud. It's a fairly sweet fragrance but not cloying, and thankfully, the oud is not sharp in any way. It just adds enough depth to be interesting. I use it mainly in the colder days.

I also enjoy Hermes Kelly Caleche EDP. It is another fresh rose, very nice in the summer, spring and fall. I recently tried Van Cleef & Arpels Rose Velours, and it's obvious that they have used a high quality rose oil. It reminded me if the bright, red rose interpretation of Kelly Caleche.

Although they are not typically viewed as rose fragrances, I discovered that I love Chanel Elixir Sensuel and Chanel Eau Premiere because of the soft rose in them.

Of the chypre genre, I prefer Guerlain Rose Barbare.

I've tried to love many others, particularly Amouage Lyric Woman, FM Une Rose, FM Portrait of a Woman, Serge Lutens's roses, but I while appreciate the artistry in their creation, these are not roses I enjoy wearing.

Unfortunately, Rosae Mundi was just boring to me--sorry.... I'm still trying to make up my mind about TDC Kashan Rose. It is a very nice scent; I am not sure I like the ambrette in it or maybe it's the combination of musk and ambrette that's bothering me in the dry-down.

I was smitten by Union's Gunpowder Rose. I generally prefer my rose combined with jasmine but Gunpowder Rose was the exception. Fragrantica says: The fragrance features english rose, coal, gunpowder, violet leaf, black currant, oak, oakmoss, wildflowers and herbal notes.

Blog Entries

Default Beautiful Roses

This has become a veritable bouquet. Something for everyone. I once had Lyric but it became too intense, somehow, and I sold it. I also adore Paestum Rose and Lutens- Sa Majesty. Both are staples in my wardrobe. Carry on, Rose Hounds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to say my best rose is Sa Majeste La Rose by SL. Rose d'Homme by Rosine is next.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

My favourite rose is the (possibly discontinued) Ayoon Al Maha attar by Amouage.
    Turkish rose, sandalwood & a bit of oud.
    The name may translate as 'eyes of a fawn', which would be very appropriate.

Blog Entries

Just got my bottle of Montale- Aoud Queen Roses! As Jackie Gleason used to say,"Hamina Hamina Hamina!" This is some good stuff! I thought I owned this but when I went to try it on, I discovered I had never taken the plunge, so I finally did and I am soooo glad. Delicious juicy but with smoky incenscy Aoud.

I really love the Rose Jam from Lush. I get so many compliments on it as well.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

This one is vintage, but I like La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty. I have a couple mls that I received in a swap about a year ago. One of these days I am really going to have to try that Rose Jam shower gel by Lush since it has been getting so much love here and in other perfume blogs.

Blog Entries

Curly 11, There was a sniff thread on this LRJ But I did not participate. I guess I'll just have to imagine it. Can you compare it to anything else we might know?

I am not well-versed in rose perfumes at all. I can only compare it to Rose Extreme by M. Micallef and perhaps that is an unfair comparison because they are different concentrations, I think. La Rose Jacqueminot does have a violet note underlying, and the initial impression is one of tea rose, but it quickly transforms into a deeper rose scent. While I normally think of florals as being sweet, this is not necessarily a sweet perfume. Rose Exreme is very sweet, almost cloying. Right now I am smelling it (La Rose Jacqueminot) on the back of my hand and each sniff makes me think of it as balanced, and kind of fresh, a bit spicy. Hope this description helps!

Blog Entries

It sounds lovely. I'll look for some on Ebay.

It sounds lovely. I'll look for some on Ebay.
    I'm also getting an impression of something fruity, like melon, but it isn't a strong note, and it seems like there might be some type of animalic component. Have fun on ebay!

Blog Entries

If I get one I will try for an old version. The re-issue I suspect will be a disappointment.

If you like the Rose and Oud combo, I discovered something very beautiful while in Dallas recently that is also inexpensive. Swiss Arabian Mahbobaty. Smells rich and thick of roses with Oud.

So, about La Rose Jacqueminot. Even after washing my hands and applying hand lotion ( unscented) last night before bed and then washing my hands this morning, the scent lingers. Maybe I ought to check out eBay for a bottle! Aside from that, I will use this thread as a reference since I'm mostly ignorant about rose perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Are we talking about the 1980s reissue of La rose jac (which I also own)? The one I have is an edt and it definitely doesn't last through nights and hand washing. But it is still excellent, a deep, saturated rose.

Earlier vintages, and in parfum, must cost a true fortune, if found.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

just saw this thread...smells yummy.
    In the garden, roses are my nemesis so I have given up trying to grow them. I just don't have "rose thumb" Now lavender is a different story- hard to kill lavender. In perfumes, rose note tends to just sit on my skin and lie there (as does lilac, another favorite flower hard to grow in CA). I need my rose to be mixed with other notes, not the star.

Highly recommend the discontinued L'Arte di Gucci.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Default Beautiful Roses

Thanks for joining in, Knit. Have you tried Rosine-Rose de Folie? A chypre-rose or my recent discovery, Rosae Mundi. You might go for it.

That's really a shame you don't have lilacs in CA. But you have jasmine and loads of other wonderful flowers so, them's the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Are we talking about the 1980s reissue of La rose jac (which I also own)? The one I have is an edt and it definitely doesn't last through nights and hand washing. But it is still excellent, a deep, saturated rose.

Earlier vintages, and in parfum, must cost a true fortune, if found.

cacio
    Hi cacio - the sample I have was sent to me last year by another perfumista. She did not say whether or not it was an EDT or EDP or if it was some of the '80s reissue. Since it has good longevity on me, I suspect my sample is an EDP, at least. As far as a fortune goes, I saw some bottles on eBay last night that are priced at over $100. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I was thinking about the number of times I passed by those reissued bottles in a drugstore 25-30 years ago and didn't even give one a sniff. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thank you for reminding me, lpp. I followed that thread with interest while it was popular.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Highly recommend the discontinued L'Arte di Gucci.
    I just tried this one for the first time last weekend, it's gorgeous. So sad that it's discontinued, you can still find bottles out there, but they are quite expensive.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Basenotes Plus

Ex Idolo Thirty Three is another good one.

A few of my favorites:

Heeley - Agarwoud
    Malle - Portrait of a Lady
    MFK - Silk Mood
    TDC - Rose Poivre
    Malle - Une Rose
    Tom Ford - Oud Fleur

Can't remember anymore right nie except for this little gem:

Harajuku Girls Love. I get compliments every time I wear it. I refuse to tell anyone what it's called though.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    A few of my favorites:

Heeley - Agarwoud
    Malle - Portrait of a Lady
    MFK - Silk Mood
    TDC - Rose Poivre
    Malle - Une Rose
    Tom Ford - Oud Fleur

Can't remember anymore right nie except for this little gem:

Harajuku Girls Love. I get compliments every time I wear it. I refuse to tell anyone what it's called though.
    Hehe - putting that one on the test list

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I just tried this one for the first time last weekend, it's gorgeous. So sad that it's discontinued, you can still find bottles out there, but they are quite expensive.
    verrrrrry sad
    LOL- so you don't think I'm Ms Moneybags, you will be envious to know I LUCKED out when I bought my bottle on evil bay. It was $20 including shipping. A very lucky blind buy.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home