Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Don't like powder or rose...

    Which two ROCKS in your opinion? Base it on longevity, sillage, scent and quality...

    Thanks again !

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Carbon & Helium if I had to pick only 2. I think all 5 are FBW. I will be getting all of them in the near future once I finish off my samples of each.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    ok...thanks Dougczar....Based on responses, I'd say this house isnt very popular....Maybe because its brand new....not sure...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Yes, it is pretty new, and still mostly unknown, and just very recently made available in the US.

    But if you look at the Fragrantica reviews, the vast majority of people seem to like them. I am among those people for sure.

    None of their offerings (at least the original 5) are edgy or challenging, or amazingly original, but all of them are perfectly composed IMO, and just a little bit better than the fragrances that they are somewhat similar to.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Based on responses, I'd say this house isnt very popular....
    No, it's just they don't have much in the way of US distribution as of right now, but this is changing. Few people will have tried the line at this point. I've yet to try them myself, but from what I've heard, the aesthetic is forward-thinking, yet safe.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    No, it's just they don't have much in the way of US distribution as of right now, but this is changing. Few people will have tried the line at this point. I've yet to try them myself, but from what I've heard, the aesthetic is forward-thinking, yet safe.
    I believe Indie Scents has this line...just checked it out...For about a buck fifty...Not too high but certainly not on the inexpensive side either....Which is why trying to figure out which one would be up my ally to sample....

  7. #7

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Don't like powder or rose...

    Which two ROCKS in your opinion? Base it on longevity, sillage, scent and quality...

    Thanks again !
    You forgot that you don't like oud either

  8. #8

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    I received bottles of Carbon and Hydrogen on Wednesday. Samples of Lithium, Helium, and Oxygen were also included.

    I had purchased Carbon and Hydrogen blindly based on reviews and descriptions that I read online.

    While it's still early for me to have a thorough evaluation of any of them, I've worn Carbon three times already, hydrogen once, and I've sampled the others.

    Here are my impressions:

    Oxygen (which I'm wearing now): A cold, clean smell that reminds me of industrial packaging materials--think something along the lines of styrofoam, plastics, and adhesives. Like if you bought a new printer or video game system and stuck your nose in the box right after you opened it. The plastic, rubber, traces of the glue used to seal everything, and a freshly manufactured smell all come together in Oxygen. It also reminds me of a new sneaker store--not in so much as there's any kind of leather involved--but the fresh rubber of the soles and the clean, newly installed carpet, maybe combined with a fresh coat of paint. This is what Oxygen smells like to me. It's strange, but not unpleasant. I don't think of this one in terms of notes at all, it's more conceptual. It's not something I would wear often, as I like my fragrances to have a friendlier, more human edge, which this one lacks to some extent. Becomes woodier and friendlier as it dries down to its cedar and sandalwood base.

    Lithium: A sort of masculine rose, on the darker side, with a bit of a gourmand quality to it. If Mugler released A*Men Turkish Rose and maintained the same smooth quality of Pure Havane, while toning down the gourmand aspect a few degrees, I think it would be something like Lithium. Although it's not listed I get the impression of a soft dark chocolate note floating around, which is probably created by the Saffron. I don't like Rose scents in general, so this is a pass for me, but it's good quality and very good projection with decent longevity.

    Helium A drier, spicier version of Ambre Narguile. Pull back rich, thick and syrupy quality of AN and rev up the prickly, drier, spicy aspect and this is what you get. I like it. It's a drier, lighter Ambre Narguile. It sits close to the skin, longevity is average. Overall however, I think I prefer Ambre Narguile, though Helium is probably easier to wear.


    Hydrogen: Opens with a juicy Mandarine orange note made all the more sparkly and fizzy by a healthy dose of green aldehydes. Very bright, very fresh and as it settles it takes on a nice soft floral quality that maintains the orange from the opening and is marked by a transparent wateriness. I would classify this as a citrus fragrance, first and foremost, but it's made all the more interesting by its supporting notes. There's nothing sharp or scratchy about this, and it should work very well in the warmer weather.

    Would I buy this again knowing what I know about it now? I'm not so sure. My main gripe about Hydrogen is that its projection seems weak after the initial half hour. It settles in quickly and while it smells good, it's so quiet it's hard for me to pick up on it at times. Longevity also seems weak. I have to wear it several more times before I can evaluate its projection and longevity for certain, but these are my initial impressions. Something about the opening Hydrogen reminds me of Live Jazz and Dior Homme Sport, with softer, less synthetic edges. I'll have to give this a shot in the summer, and wear it some more, but had I just sampled it rather than buying a bottle, I would probably think, "Oh this is nice, but too weak. Next."

    Carbon Here's what I like (and really like) about Carbon: The sandalwood note is fantastic. It's creamy, plush, and smooth as hell. It's also matched up with an Iris that has a subtle nuttiness. The two notes blend perfectly together, and it's kind of hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. I also love the sweet, spicy cardamom that Carbon opens with. It's very appealing. The cardamom seems to vacillate between a sweet piquancy and a darker, cumin-like spiciness. It's wearable, interesting, and I like it more than any Sandalwood fragrance I've personally put my nose on.

    Here's what I don't like: It's weak. Quiet. It settles in too fast and loses the great spicy cardamom from the opening. Longevity and projection are mediocre. My skin devours this stuff (or maybe it's just weak). I don't want to say this with finality, as I believe it takes at least 10 wears to fairly evaluate the performance of a fragrance (and sometimes I find frags weak at first that later prove to be fine), but this is my concern. I'll continue to wear Carbon, as I like it, but not without thinking that it could be so much better if it were stronger.

    Overall, I'd give my experience with the nu_be line a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. While I found every fragrance good (and one or two very good), I was hoping for a little more. I'd like to try Mercury next.

    So in order of what I think you should sample, given your taste and my experience with these:

    Carbon
    Helium
    Hydrogen
    Oxygen
    Lithium
    Last edited by Buysblind; 23rd November 2013 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    You forgot that you don't like oud either
    Actually I LIKE OUD just mixed with other stuff not straight OUD scents like ADP OUD....it's too strong and rarely gets the compliments...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I received bottles of Carbon and Hydrogen on Wednesday. Samples of Lithium, Helium, and Oxygen were also included.

    I had purchased Carbon and Hydrogen blindly based on reviews and descriptions that I read online.

    While it's still early for me to have a thorough evaluation of any of them, I've worn Carbon three times already, hydrogen once, and I've sampled the others.

    Here are my impressions:

    Oxygen (which I'm wearing now): A cold, clean smell that reminds me of industrial packaging materials--think something along the lines of styrofoam, plastics, and adhesives. Like if you bought a new printer or video game system and stuck your nose in the box right after you opened it. The plastic, rubber, traces of the glue used to seal everything, and a freshly manufactured smell all come together in Oxygen. It also reminds me of a new sneaker store--not in so much as there's any kind of leather involved--but the fresh rubber of the soles and the clean, newly installed carpet, maybe combined with a fresh coat of paint. This is what Oxygen smells like to me. It's strange, but not unpleasant. I don't think of this one in terms of notes at all, it's more conceptual. It's not something I would wear often, as I like my fragrances to have a friendlier, more human edge, which this one lacks to some extent. Becomes woodier and friendlier as it dries down to its cedar and sandalwood base.

    Lithium: A sort of masculine rose, on the darker side, with a bit of a gourmand quality to it. If Mugler released A*Men Turkish Rose and maintained the same smooth quality of Pure Havane, while toning down the gourmand aspect a few degrees, I think it would be something like Lithium. Although it's not listed I get the impression of a soft dark chocolate note floating around, which is probably created by the Saffron. I don't like Rose scents in general, so this is a pass for me, but it's good quality and very good projection with decent longevity.

    Helium A drier, spicier version of Ambre Narguile. Pull back rich, thick and syrupy quality of AN and rev up the prickly, drier, spicy aspect and this is what you get. I like it. It's a drier, lighter Ambre Narguile. It sits close to the skin, longevity is average. Overall however, I think I prefer Ambre Narguile, though Helium is probably easier to wear.


    Hydrogen: Opens with a juicy Mandarine orange note made all the more sparkly and fizzy by a healthy dose of green aldehydes. Very bright, very fresh and as it settles it takes on a nice soft floral quality that maintains the orange from the opening and is marked by a transparent wateriness. I would classify this as a citrus fragrance, first and foremost, but it's made all the more interesting by its supporting notes. There's nothing sharp or scratchy about this, and it should work very well in the warmer weather.

    Would I buy this again knowing what I know about it now? I'm not so sure. My main gripe about Hydrogen is that its projection seems weak after the initial half hour. It settles in quickly and while it smells good, it's so quiet it's hard for me to pick up on it at times. Longevity also seems weak. I have to wear it several more times before I can evaluate its projection and longevity for certain, but these are my initial impressions. Something about the opening Hydrogen reminds me of Live Jazz and Dior Homme Sport, with softer, less synthetic edges. I'll have to give this a shot in the summer, and wear it some more, but had I just sampled it rather than buying a bottle, I would probably think, "Oh this is nice, but too weak. Next."

    Carbon Here's what I like (and really like) about Carbon: The sandalwood note is fantastic. It's creamy, plush, and smooth as hell. It's also matched up with an Iris that has a subtle nuttiness. The two notes blend perfectly together, and it's kind of hard to tell where one ends and the other begins. I also love the sweet, spicy cardamom that Carbon opens with. It's very appealing. The cardamom seems to vacillate between a sweet piquancy and a darker, cumin-like spiciness. It's wearable, interesting, and I like it more than any Sandalwood fragrance I've personally put my nose on.

    Here's what I don't like: It's weak. Quiet. It settles in too fast and loses the great spicy cardamom from the opening. Longevity and projection are mediocre. My skin devours this stuff (or maybe it's just weak). I don't want to say this with finality, as I believe it takes at least 10 wears to fairly evaluate the performance of a fragrance (and sometimes I find frags weak at first that later prove to be fine), but this is my concern. I'll continue to wear Carbon, as I like it, but not without thinking that it could be so much better if it were stronger.

    Overall, I'd give my experience with the nu_be line a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. While I found every fragrance good (and one or two very good), I was hoping for a little more. I'd like to try Mercury next.

    So in order of what I think you should sample, given your taste and my experience with these:

    Carbon
    Helium
    Hydrogen
    Oxygen
    Lithium
    Fantastic review and just what I needed! Thanks dude!

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,736

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    I can't wait to sample Carbon
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  11. #11

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Wow! great reviews busyblind I have been catching good reviews on this whole line. This really puts some substance to each individual offering.

    I wonder how Carbon stacks up to say a Santal Noble?

    Carbon & Helium sound like the ones I am most interested in and I'm glad you rated them highly.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Excellent write-ups there, Buysblind! Oxygen sounds like it'd be to my taste as I'm very into the industrial scents that CdG put out.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Thank you, I'm glad you guys find the reviews helpful.

    TNBLUE, I'm probably not the one to ask regarding Santal Noble, as I found it so underwhelming I'm lead to believe that I'm actually anosmic to something in it. However, I can say personally that I enjoy Carbon much more, and find the sandalwood note better in almost every way (it's smoother, richer, creamier, and easier to detect...for me).

    deadidol, Yes, you definitely have to try Oxygen if you're into the industrial thing. Oxygen is very industrial for the first hour or so. Around the two hour mark or maybe a little earlier, it starts to become a cedar and sandalwood fragrance--two dimensional and straightforward, but pleasant. It's almost a welcome change from the opening at this point. This fragrance can not be accused of linearity. Oxygen isn't my style necessarily, stil, I find it very interesting. And it was a lot of fun to sample.


    One final word on Hydrogen. Its longevity is in fact very, very good. It hangs around for a long time, at least 7 or 8 hours. And although it's quiet, when I wore it again the other day, I kept getting wafts of it much longer after I had applied it. It could be one of those 'sneaky' frags.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    You have me moving Carbon up on my want list now.

    Are you buying these stateside or on one of the German sites? I hope somebody run a deal during the holiday's.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TNBLUEMIKE View Post
    You have me moving Carbon up on my want list now.

    Are you buying these stateside or on one of the German sites? I hope somebody run a deal during the holiday's.

    Indiescents. They're located in Canada but ship to the US no problem. I had either a 15 or 20% discount code that I used when I got the bottles. I forget where or how I got it, but I don't think it would be too hard to find one floating around.

    Of course I recommend sampling first.

  16. #16
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,750

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Need to remember to request from First in Fragrance that they include free samples from this house with the next purchase I place with them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    I think this is an incredibly solid line for anyone not obsessed with sillage / projection. Most of their stuff is extremely well done but it is also conceived as office-friendly (which is basically the same concept with most CDGs). With that said, my personal winners are Oxygen, Sulphur, Carbon and Mercury. A great line If you look for good fragrances with a twist as opposed to oddballs.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  18. #18
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    3,044

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    If they ever release Uranium, that will definitely take care of the sillage and projection issue. Joking.

    I still need to sample this line.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Indiescents. They're located in Canada but ship to the US no problem. I had either a 15 or 20% discount code that I used when I got the bottles. I forget where or how I got it, but I don't think it would be too hard to find one floating around.

    Of course I recommend sampling first.
    Thank you very much. I will be on the lookout for that teasing additional incentive. I will bookmark this site.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Wonderful wonderful brand, my absolute favorite is Sulphur (the one i will purchase), than i love Carbon and Oxygen.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Carbon sounds magical. I think I would pass on Oxygen though. I blind bought a bottle of CDG Soda and it's not really my thing. I don't mind synthetic fragrances, but it's just way too over the top for me.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Carbon sounds magical. I think I would pass on Oxygen though. I blind bought a bottle of CDG Soda and it's not really my thing. I don't mind synthetic fragrances, but it's just way too over the top for me.

    Carbon's excellent. I've been wearing it for a few weeks now and it's become a favorite. I may have been hasty in judging its projection and longevity too. It actually projects quite well and longevity is not an issue at all. Basically, this just gets better and better the more I wear it.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Glad to see some love for this stuff. As I said somewhere else, this line is not made of *wowers* but if you care to spend some quality time with their fragrances, they indeed will reveal their *magic*. Both Sulphur and Mercury will end up among my favorite releases of 2013.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  24. #24
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,428

    Default Re: Best two Nu_Be house fragrance to sample ?

    Great descriptions, Buysblind. I haven't had much interest in sampling the line to date, but your description of Carbon does sound like its something I would go for. I will have to check that one out at the very least.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Similar Threads

  1. Nu_be
    By chocho in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 3rd April 2014, 09:02 PM
  2. New House: nu_be Launching 5 New Fragrances
    By lsp_NY in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st November 2013, 03:59 PM
  3. Looking for a new fragrance house, something out there. Help!!
    By Incontinent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 24th February 2013, 04:25 PM
  4. What is the best fragrance lineup for your favorite fragrance house!
    By JonnyLeMale in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th January 2011, 07:06 PM
  5. Sample Hunt: If you could choose ONE fragrance from each house...
    By Sub Zero in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 14th October 2010, 06:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •