Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default RIP, Eau Des Baux

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yet another amazing fragrance is getting the axe: this time it is at the hands of L'Occitane.

"Dear Bill,

Thank you for contacting L'Occitane.

We do apologize but our Eau de Baux has been phased out.

We do not offer that particular product any longer.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other queries by replying directly to this email.

Please feel free to visit our online boutique or your nearest boutique.

Yours sincerely,

Rachele
    Customer Service Representative
    "

I had only recently tried this fragrance and fell in love with it. I had found my new signature scent. Why does this keep happening to me? Polo Green is a horrible reformulation, original Calvin is gone, Mugler's Pure Havane is discontinued....every fragrance I like disappears.

Default Re: RIP, Eau Des Baux

Sad day.

Well it is still on l'occitan's website and I have seen it in every store I have been to.... I wouldn't worry about it that much, and if you are worried buy a backup bottle.

It's weird that the customer service representative couldn't even spell the product correctly though, right? (Eaux des Baux not Eaux de Baux)...

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yet another amazing fragrance is getting the axe: this time it is at the hands of L'Occitane.

"Dear Bill,

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other queries by replying directly to this email.

Yours sincerely,

Rachele
    "

I had only recently tried this fragrance and fell in love with it. I had found my new signature scent. Why does this keep happening to me? Polo Green is a horrible reformulation, original Calvin is gone, Mugler's Pure Havane is discontinued....every fragrance I like disappears.

Pure Havane is out there and available quite easily at retail stores. Also, Eau des Baux is still available everywhere.

Hmmm.....I wonder if I misspelled it in my initial email and triggered an auto-reply.

If I did, this may be a hilarious basenotes blunder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Also, Eau des Baux is still available everywhere.
    lol

Okay not EVERYWHERE, but I think I may be a victim of my own lack of attention to detail.

Still available on their U.K. website - should be fine!
    http://uk.loccitane.com/baux,83,1,39629,0.htm

Okay, so if this isn't discontinued and is still available in both stores and online, should we perhaps close this thread to avoid confusion? There were discontinuation rumors of this last year as well. L'Occitane do have a habit of dropping their most popular and well-loved scents so it wouldn't surprise me, but as of right now there seems to be no concern.

#1: If you like something, get it.
    #2: If you LOVE something, get a backup or two.

If you follow those, you will be better off in the long run. And you won't need to post here later asking "is my ___ that I bought from ebay a fake?"

Bad news, indeed!!

I am going to ask that this thread be left up for now, and I will be certain that the spelling is correct and will email them again so that we may know with certainty whether it is discontinued.

How to spike sales--float a discontinuation rumor.

and it works for me! I'm going straight to the l'Occi store near me to buy an FB

Hope that's just a mistake. EDB is a good one. Too good to discontinue.

I am going to ask that this thread be left up for now, and I will be certain that the spelling is correct and will email them again so that we may know with certainty whether it is discontinued.
    Sounds good! Let us know what you find out.

If true, glad I have a large full bottle of this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Please bear in mind, I had intially emailed only to ask if it was currently in stock, as their website didn't clarify. That email was the response I got.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Okay, so if this isn't discontinued and is still available in both stores and online, should we perhaps close this thread to avoid confusion? There were discontinuation rumors of this last year as well. L'Occitane do have a habit of dropping their most popular and well-loved scents so it wouldn't surprise me, but as of right now there seems to be no concern.
    We don't know if it was a mistaken reply based on a misspelling yet. It'll be interesting to find out. I'd have to assume that phasing out a scent means it'll still be available for a while as the remaining stock is sold. That's how I scored 2 bottles of Gucci Pour Homme.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I called customer service for L'Occitane in the US and asked about it. They have quite a bit of stock remaining at this time, but once that is sold, it will no longer be available because it is no longer being made.

I sold a bottle of there Bergamote Tea last year for $20 and now its on ebay for $150 since its dc'd. I cannot imaging how much EdB will be going for in a few years.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

when will this trend in fragrance industry stop....

Banned
    Blog Entries

The best always seem to get the axe..
    Look at Gucci

"Dear Bill,

Yours sincerely,

Rachele
    "

Thanks very much for the advanced warning. I fell in love with the 4 theives fragrance from L'Occitane which was a best seller, but shock of shocks, it was suddenly discontinued without warning !!!. I still think personally it was the best ever L'Occitane creation.....some things just don't make sense.
    Thanks once again for sharing this news.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I am saddened to know that this was true. PLease don't buy all of it before I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    #1: If you like something, get it.
    #2: If you LOVE something, get a backup or two.

If you follow those, you will be better off in the long run. And you won't need to post here later asking "is my ___ that I bought from ebay a fake?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am saddened to know that this was true. PLease don't buy all of it before I get a chance.
    Go for it !. Personally, I don't know this fragrance and I can only advise you that the 4 Voleurs fragrance disappeared extremely quickly and without warning. Get your back up bottles before the price rockets.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I fell in love with the 4 theives fragrance from L'Occitane which was a best seller, but shock of shocks, it was suddenly discontinued without warning !!!. I still think personally it was the best ever L'Occitane creation.....some things just don't make sense.
    And just like that wonderful scent disappeared, so went Eau du Contadour another good one IMO. Sign of the times I guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

L'Occitane should assess whether it wants to be a viable fragrance house. Decisions like this one make me think they've decided otherwise. Sadly, another example of the bean counters running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    L'Occitane should assess whether it wants to be a viable fragrance house. Decisions like this one make me think they've decided otherwise. Sadly, another example of the bean counters running the show.
    I suspect that L'Occitane views their fragrances as just one small part of their business. We'll probably never know why they're discontinuing EdB. Maybe an ingredient - or a few - became too hard to get or too expensive. Or, maybe it doesn't sell well enough for them to want to keep it. How much WE may love a fragrance is definitely not a good way to judge how successful that fragrance is among average consumers. I can think of many examples of excellent fragrances that are revered here in basenotes (and for good reason!) that weren't particularly successful. Gucci Pour Homme (2003) and M7 are two perfect examples. Both are superb. But are they what the mall crowd wants to buy?

EdB is excellent, and it's certainly popular here on basenotes, but is it popular enough with the people who shop at L'Occitane? If it isn't selling well enough, that would certainly explain why they're discontinuing it regardless of how good it is.

Sometimes, when a great scent is discontinued, the consumers themselves are to blame.

Sad news.
    I can just see how in ten years time people will be posting here about what's it like and should they fork out the $200 Ebay asking price.
    Regards,
    Renato

I'm still getting over missing out on that lemon/honey/tea or whatever one that disappeared a few years back
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Or, maybe it doesn't sell well enough for them to want to keep it.
    This would be my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I'm still getting over missing out on that lemon/honey/tea or whatever one that disappeared a few years back
    Would that be the "Thé Bergamote" that they carried for a while? That's a great scent if that's the one you're referring to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Sad news.
    I can just see how in ten years time people will be posting here about what's it like and should they fork out the $200 Ebay asking price.
    Regards,
    Renato
    You really think it will be 10 years until people start selling them for 200?

Basenotes Institution

I saw some on shelves at a L'Occitane store last weekend. It was the favorite of my friends, from everything in the store, and he ended up buying a bottle.

Sad news.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Or maybe as soon as in two years. eBay prices are so wacky. I saw Gucci Pour Homme there going for $280. Now, there are 50ml bottles going for $70, NIB.

Kind of defies logic. If the enthusiasm for it here is representative of the world at large, why on earth would they do away with it? :-/

Just weird.

Banned

"Dear Bill,

Yours sincerely,

Rachele
    "

wait... what??????

Forgot to say thanks for the heads up.

Of course I'm not going to try to hoard any (halo appears over head, rolls eyes up to look at the sky, smiles innocently.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Kind of defies logic. If the enthusiasm for it here is representative of the world at large, why on earth would they do away with it? :-/
    Enthusiasm on basenotes absolutely is NOT a reflection of the world at large.
    Enthusiasm on basenotes is a reflection of the tastes of perfume enthusiasts.

That's a really big difference. It's like the difference between someone who eats at McDonald's and someone who eats at gourmet restaurants or cooks gourmet dinners at home. It's like the difference between people who drink Bud and people who drink things like Old Rasputin Stout or Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

The VAST majority of perfume (and *cough* cologne) is not purchased by perfume enthusiasts. Perfume enthusiasts like us are a small subset.

What a strange business model.

They seem to have setups of there lotions and cleansers at most dept stores. These areas never have any of their fragrances though. I wonder why? It would be a great way to sell many more bottles of fragrance at malls that have no L'occitane store.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Enthusiasm on basenotes absolutely is NOT a reflection of the world at large.
    Enthusiasm on basenotes is a reflection of the tastes of perfume enthusiasts.

That's a really big difference. It's like the difference between someone who eats at McDonald's and someone who eats at gourmet restaurants or cooks gourmet dinners at home. It's like the difference between people who drink Bud and people who drink things like Old Rasputin Stout or Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

The VAST majority of perfume (and *cough* cologne) is not purchased by perfume enthusiasts. Perfume enthusiasts like us are a small subset.
    Absolutely. I was going to say - the moment the public's taste changes on "warm and ambery", the moment L'Occitane will be on to the next trend. L'Occitane is not about holding onto yesteryear's products. They are about selling some idea of "clean and French" around the world, and making bookoo bucks on it.

Eaux des Baux was getting a bit old for a mall / bath-'n'-body fragrance, IMO. It was a good one, but why not bring out something new that sells better and brings people (including us) into the store? AND - (personal opinion here) - I am beginning to think that L'Occitane has been putting out some great new scents lately. The new things smell like they had some very talented noses on them. So maybe we will get a real treat to replace it? Even their Verdon "sport fragrance" is really nice. I suspect that they will have a winner back in EdB's place.

However, I have to admit, Old Rasputin Stout and Deschutes Black Butte Porter sound *great*!!!

Basenotes Junkie

Went to L'Occitane in Houston this evening, there was a lot of EdB on the shelf. Despite pressing the SA, she claimed to have no knowledge of any cessation of production or distribution for EdB. Of course, SA's on the floor may not have that insight either. I didn't buy a backup bottle while there, maybe I'll regret it a year from now. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Went to L'Occitane in Houston this evening, there was a lot of EdB on the shelf. Despite pressing the SA, she claimed to have no knowledge of any cessation of production or distribution for EdB. Of course, SA's on the floor may not have that insight either. I didn't buy a backup bottle while there, maybe I'll regret it a year from now. We'll see.
    Well it's good to know at least that there are still stores with a good supply on hand.
    (760)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Well it's good to know at least that there are still stores with a good supply on hand.
    (760)
    Total agreement. I'd like to have the chance to make the choice, before they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Old Rasputin Stout and Deschutes Black Butte Porter sound *great*!!!
    Indeed, they are!

There was a pub near me that used to have Old Rasputin Stout (I believe it's an Imperial Stout) on tap, and during happy hour it cost $3 a pint. Ridiculously good and blacker than midnight in the country under a moonless sky. Awe yeah. That's the good stuff!

Most beer drinkers drink garbage. In 2012, the selling beers in the U.S. were:
    #1: Bud Light
    #2: Coors Light
    #3: Budweiser
    #4: Miller Light
    #5: Natural Light
    FOUR of the top five selling beers were frigging watery LIGHT beer! And there were two more light beers in the top 10. That would be like saying the top selling perfume for men was a light aquatic. OH, WAIT! It is. D&G, Light Blue.

My point is that the average person has the same tastes in perfume that they have in food and beer. Ultra-safe, boring, and when it comes to beer, light, nearly odorless and tasteless. It's a shame, but, the average person isn't buying anything like Eau des Baux. Actually, maybe that isn't a shame. The fact that the average person has such boring tastes sometimes makes our tastes that much more fascinating. I had a friend the other night go absolutely nuts over Interlude Man. She made me fetch the bottle because she couldn't imagine that a man's 'cologne' could smell like that.

What a shame that EdB is getting the axe. The scent is wonderful and affordable, and the grooming items are also very good (deodorant and shaving balm.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

RIP. Will have to stock on it asap.

Basenotes Plus

I was at the Mall in Atlanta last night and they had 20 bottles on the shelf, the SA hadn't a clue it was being discontinued as others have said..
    I had to leave quickly because of the hard sell which I hate..
    I asked if they had shaving cream, she pointed but was at my side repeating L'Occitane over and over like I needed to learn how to say it
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    What a shame that EdB is getting the axe. The scent is wonderful and affordable, and the grooming items are also very good (deodorant and shaving balm.)
    Do you have an opinion about the shower gel Primrose? The reviews on their site are mixed.

It hasn't vanished, as of just a little while ago. The store I went to had a full stock, though now they have somewhat less. SAs hadn't heard anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    ...I fell in love with the 4 theives fragrance from L'Occitane which was a best seller, but shock of shocks, it was suddenly discontinued without warning !!!. I still think personally it was the best ever L'Occitane creation... some things just don't make sense...
    I agree. I wanted to buy it, once in the shop, the SA told me it was discontinued and the bottles left were sold under an excellent discount.

I am, observing they are fading out their men's scents, while at the same time they are continously launching and discontinuing scents for the girls. I have the feeling they are introducing changes in their marketing policies, focusing in those spending much more money in cosmetics than men do.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Well, it'll take a few years to clear the remaining stock, and it doesn't have quite the name with the public of say a Gucci Nobile, Envy or Homme 1.
    Regards,
    Renato

2 years at the most. They will be moved to the outlet stores and put on sale for $20 and after those are gone then the high prices will start.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Do you have an opinion about the shower gel Primrose? The reviews on their site are mixed.
    I got the shower gel about two weeks back from their store. I'd have to say the fragrance in the shower gel is quite muted, one gets some spices and a hint of tobacco, though it does tend to linger on about the skin very lightly. Doesn't form a lot of lather, is reasonably moisturizing and quite pleasing to use. I didn't get the EDT (got TM pure Havane instead) but I think the EDT would be excellent to use with the shower gel.
    On the other side I can take a shower and right afterwards put on any scent I like. L'Occitane have some new releases and the SA claimed that the new shower gels have a higher concentration of perfume.
    I'd consider this shower gel to be quite good for use during the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Socal, I never tried the shower gel. DH loves the aftershave balm and the deodorant.

Too bad they also phased out the Notre Flore Mediterranean line. I adore the Iris, Jasmin, Immortelle and the Labdanum. Glad I bought them when they were offered.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th November 2013 at 06:07 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's because of it's ridiculous low price and it's cheap bottle design that it doesn't get enough attention outside BN. If it was more expensive they wouldn't have had bad sales. Now a great scent is discontinued. Where I live l'Occitane stores are being closed.

Still, tom ford could buy the formula and sell bottles for 185€/50ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    I am, observing they are fading out their men's scents, while at the same time they are continously launching and discontinuing scents for the girls. I have the feeling they are introducing changes in their marketing policies, focusing in those spending much more money in cosmetics than men do.
    They just introduced some brand new scents into the grasse collection that are arguably non-gendered (cedar&orange / amber&sandalwood). They're pretty crappy though.

Many thanks Primrose and freewheelingvagabond. I guess it's time to see what codes are available for their online store.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They just introduced some brand new scents into the grasse collection that are arguably non-gendered (cedar&orange / amber&sandalwood). They're pretty crappy though.
    They are, I agree.

So, EDB gone but Joop Homme stil going great guns. Let that sink in.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    2 years at the most. They will be moved to the outlet stores and put on sale for $20 and after those are gone then the high prices will start.
    Yep. Gucci Envy is a great example of that. Could be had for next to nothing shortly after being discontinued. You now see it going for silly money on eBay.