Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: RIP, Eau Des Baux

I just called their customer service. They have no official date for discontinuation. While on the phone, I ordered a bottle. $52 USD includes shipping and there is no sales tax as my state has none of their stores. I think I should have bought more, but I have not felt the need to hit panic mode. One thing is certain: I will smell AMAZING this Christmas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    They are, I agree.

So, EDB gone but Joop Homme stil going great guns. Let that sink in.
    hahahaha

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    It's because of it's ridiculous low price and it's cheap bottle design that it doesn't get enough attention outside BN. If it was more expensive they wouldn't have had bad sales. Now a great scent is discontinued. Where I live l'Occitane stores are being closed.

Still, tom ford could buy the formula and sell bottles for 185€/50ml.
    You know, I wonder if you're onto something with that line of questioning. Given the generally poor quality of fragrances found in places similar to L'Occitane (think: Bath & Bodyworks, Body Shop), who'd expect to find a gem like EdB on the shelves? Compounding that anonymity is the fact that it's very inexpensive at the same time. It's just not something you'd find a reason to try out unless you get a heads-up.

In my mind: gorgeous-smelling and reasonably-priced = WIN. However, I can see how EdB may be a victim of its own success.

I was thinking about this one after my last post, and given that I'd peg my satisfaction with EdB at about 80-90% of that for Tobacco Vanille, at about 1/4th the price, I'm starting to feel a little stupid for not having picked up that backup bottle this weekend while I was there. I think I may make a point to grab one just for safe-keeping this coming weekend.

Thanks for the heads up I have been toying around about picking this one up. No time like the present it seems. Thanks Demon.

I'm about to grab a few bottles right now. I did call the lady and she said they didn't discontinue them. I'm getting them regardless.
    ANDERSON = GOAT

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    They are, I agree.

So, EDB gone but Joop Homme stil going great guns. Let that sink in.
    Seriously... that kind of inequity is a crime against humanity

It would surprise me if this is being dropped. My local L'Occitane told me it was one of their best sellers for men. Why would they phase it out? Maybe they have something better coming along that will generate excitement and be a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Maybe they have something better coming along that will generate excitement and be a replacement.
    I'm assuming that's what Ambre Santal (or whatever it's called) is supposed to be. They're pimping it as "super high concentration of the best quality oils," but it seems to be neither. It smells like a typical synthetic semi-sweet woody amber with zero personality or charm.

Okay, so some people are being told it is being "phased out," some people are being told it isn't....some Sales Associates have heard nothing of the sort, while some have. The guy I called at Customer Service hadn't heard anything of the sort, and said there was no date listed for discontinuation. Stores seem to have plenty(I don't have a store within 250 miles to be able to check)....Bottom line for me is that I have regrets about Calvin original(blue bottle), Halston Man Amber, Polo Green pre-reformulation, and the list goes on and on...I think I need to stock up. That way, even if this is a hoax, I will have plenty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'm assuming that's what Ambre Santal (or whatever it's called) is supposed to be. They're pimping it as "super high concentration of the best quality oils," but it seems to be neither. It smells like a typical synthetic semi-sweet woody amber with zero personality or charm.
    That one actually piqued my interest. Is there a more famous fragrance you think it smells like?

Guerlainista

One of the shops near me has about 10-12 bottles on the shelf. I bought one, just in case. I had been thinking about this one for a while since buying the deo stick on a trip a few months ago.

The SAs hadn't heard anything about discontinuation.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Enthusiasm on basenotes absolutely is NOT a reflection of the world at large.
    Enthusiasm on basenotes is a reflection of the tastes of perfume enthusiasts.

That's a really big difference. It's like the difference between someone who eats at McDonald's and someone who eats at gourmet restaurants or cooks gourmet dinners at home. It's like the difference between people who drink Bud and people who drink things like Old Rasputin Stout or Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

The VAST majority of perfume (and *cough* cologne) is not purchased by perfume enthusiasts. Perfume enthusiasts like us are a small subset.
    Big shout-out to a local reference! One of my favs and an equivalent of a "grab and spray" when I go to the bar and order!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    You know, I wonder if you're onto something with that line of questioning. Given the generally poor quality of fragrances found in places similar to L'Occitane (think: Bath & Bodyworks, Body Shop), who'd expect to find a gem like EdB on the shelves? Compounding that anonymity is the fact that it's very inexpensive at the same time. It's just not something you'd find a reason to try out unless you get a heads-up.

In my mind: gorgeous-smelling and reasonably-priced = WIN. However, I can see how EdB may be a victim of its own success.

I was thinking about this one after my last post, and given that I'd peg my satisfaction with EdB at about 80-90% of that for Tobacco Vanille, at about 1/4th the price, I'm starting to feel a little stupid for not having picked up that backup bottle this weekend while I was there. I think I may make a point to grab one just for safe-keeping this coming weekend.
    I already sampled the whole designer fragrance stuff at the local perfume shops before I went to a L'Occitane store (because of basenotes of course) and found this masterpiece! I never went into that shop before because it's so like Body Shop and Rituals etc...

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

The SAs hadn't heard anything about discontinuation.
    Seems like many SAs are in the dark about its impending "doom" I heard the same surprise from the one in my local store.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Glad to hear it was just a rumor.
    Last edited by cytherian; 26th November 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They just introduced some brand new scents into the grasse collection that are arguably non-gendered (cedar&orange / amber&sandalwood). They're pretty crappy though.
    I was unimpressed. Poor longevity and poor sillage. This is like the things they sell in those bath shops.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Many thanks Primrose and freewheelingvagabond. I guess it's time to see what codes are available for their online store.
    I just bought a backup of EdB online with some deodorant and aftershave balm.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel
    Enthusiasm on basenotes absolutely is NOT a reflection of the world at large.
    Enthusiasm on basenotes is a reflection of the tastes of perfume enthusiasts.

That's a really big difference. It's like the difference between someone who eats at McDonald's and someone who eats at gourmet restaurants or cooks gourmet dinners at home. It's like the difference between people who drink Bud and people who drink things like Old Rasputin Stout or Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

The VAST majority of perfume (and *cough* cologne) is not purchased by perfume enthusiasts. Perfume enthusiasts like us are a small subset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Big shout-out to a local reference! One of my favs and an equivalent of a "grab and spray" when I go to the bar and order!!!

You guys make me so jealous. The "New West" has all the good brewskis.

Will have to look around for it.

I spoke with Loccitane USA Customer Service about this issue today. The rep. said they are discontinuing Eau Des Baux in its current configuration, meaning they will be updating the sprayer and cap. The fragrance itself is NOT being discontinued. It will be re-released in a new bottle/cap/sprayer. A release date for the reissue was unknown at this time.

Long live Eau Des Baux!

UPDATE: I just called L'Occitane USA, and the customer service rep said they are not just changing the packaging, but also reformulating it.

Granted this is, what, the fourth story we've gotten (not being discontinued, being discontinued, same but different packing, reformulated and different packaging) so who knows.

ebates has 2.5% cash back if you order online. The site just restocked so it's available for online ordering again.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly off topic, when did they axe Vetyver? I have an extra bottle thankfully, but I thought this was one of their popular fragrances. It seems the only thing left from their original men's line is L'Occitan which seemed like too much of a lavender bomb when I tried it.
    Last edited by insomniac; 26th November 2013 at 05:04 PM.

That is great news! Perhaps now is a good time to get a couple of back up bottles in the old packaging to save some $. I just hope the new packaging does not also mean reforumulating...

Still available in Brazil, and on line as well ... http://br.loccitane.com/baux,43,2,40671,0.htm. I have a bottle but nowadays I think Lanvin Avant Garde is almost the same but more complex and versatile.

I saw this thread and immediately called l'occitane and ordered a couple bottle of bottles. The bang for the buck is unbelieveable, only $52. Wasn't it $70? Also, it is listed under the LAST CHANCE link.
    Last edited by easykiller; 27th November 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add
    John aka Easykiller

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post

Slightly off topic, when did they axe Vetyver? I have an extra bottle thankfully, but I thought this was one of their popular fragrances. It seems the only thing left from their original men's line is L'Occitan which seemed like too much of a lavender bomb when I tried it.
    What?! I just bought a bottle of Vetyver there in the last month. Is this frag being discussed as potentially being discontinued as well? Holy cow, if so, they're knocking off all of their winners.

This thread has had more twists and turns!!! I almost think we should each call L'Occitane and share our results here. So it's "being phased out," being discontinued, NOT being discontinued, there is plenty of stock everywhere, it's being repackaged, it's being reformulated, the SA heard about it, the SA heard nothing of the sort, customer service rep didn't confirm it or deny it; he said there was no official date that he had....bottom line is, many of us are buying this up. If this is a ploy to up sales, it's brilliant, and NO I AM NOT A CO-CONSPIRATOR!!!

Even if they just change the cap the current bottle will be known as a vintage formula and will be considered superior and sought after. Stock up now and price gouge later.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    Still available in Brazil, and on line as well ... http://br.loccitane.com/baux,43,2,40671,0.htm. I have a bottle but nowadays I think Lanvin Avant Garde is almost the same but more complex and versatile.
    Avamt garde was recommended to me because I like spicebomb and LOVE Eau Des Baux....I don't think they smell much alike at all

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Even if they just change the cap the current bottle will be known as a vintage formula and will be considered superior and sought after. Stock up now and price gouge later.
    Let's monopolize the market by buying up ALL the EdB in the original packaging!

This thread should be changed to RIP L'Occitane Vetyver. Or like stated above hello to reformulated not as good as original EDB.

I was at the L'Occitane store at the Fashion Mall in Indy yesterday. Plenty of Eau de Baux on the shelves, and the SA had heard zero news regarding discontinuation.

Let's hope it's only being repackaged (and if reformulated, only slightly) - I tried some on the spot. This is what Spicebomb and HiM should have been.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I have a brand new large bottle I would be glad to sell for $100.00 if anyone is interested : ))

Suddenly I feel the urge to do a phone call...

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Many thanks Primrose and freewheelingvagabond. I guess it's time to see what codes are available for their online store.
    The EDT available in some stores in good quantities. Just bought some.

The bath gel is great with a fresh wood note.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Never tried this. I see Pure Havane mentioned a few times in this thread. I love that. Are there any similarities? I might blind buy because I haven't seen this fragrance anywhere.

Sent from my HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    Never tried this. I see Pure Havane mentioned a few times in this thread. I love that. Are there any similarities? I might blind buy because I haven't seen this fragrance anywhere.

Sent from my HTC One
    Only similiarity is that they are both sweet and have vanilla in them. I prefer Eau Des Baux that to my nose smell more natural and masculine (it has some incense and spices).
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I've just blind bought it. 100ml for £43 including delivery directly from L'Occitane. That's cheap.
    I like TV and love Pure Havane and the note breakdown looks like my thing

Glad I picked this up from Fragrancenet for $37 when they still had it in stock to see what all the fuss was about..

It's safe to say I won't be seeking any 'vintage' or reformulated bottles, lol.

Got it as a Christmas present and have wore it a few times already. It is very nice.

It would be a shame if they pull this but it wouldn't surprise me as they seem to be making a big deal of this new 'pairings' idea lately - nice enough 'pop' stuff but so far all a bit bland. I bought a back-up EDT and topped up my suitcase with a few Shower Gels on my last trip to Oz (but I usually do that anyway - the shops are full of the stuff over there).

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The EDT available in some stores in good quantities. Just bought some.

The bath gel is great with a fresh wood note.
    They had plenty of this in the Charlotte mall on Thursday. But no sale price. No thanks, I'm good.

Good that it is still available from L'O directly.

I still see it for sale on the US site.

I just noticed, it is no longer available on the Canadian website.

My bottle from L'Occitane arrived today. I've just sprayed some on my arm. It does share a lot with Pure Havane.

Sent from my HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    My bottle from L'Occitane arrived today. I've just sprayed some on my arm. It does share a lot with Pure Havane.

Sent from my HTC One
    I always thought of it to be a more woody Tobacco Vanille.

Dude,I just purchased one online on nordstrom.com there still available.

Hello Gentlemen,

I just purchased a back-up today and according to the sales associate, she's heard nothing regarding discontinuation. It may be possible that she's in the dark and on a "need to know" basis. When I'd mentioned this, she was floored because EDB and the Vetyver are the store's best selling men's fragrances...

My best advice is to buy a back-up... This scent is very well constructed, and if properly stored, should last some time. I hate to say this, but fall will be here before we know it! When it is, I reach for this bottle often...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I'm convinced that this gem is safe for now. Still very worthy of a backup or three. Especially at the reasonable price Great quality stuff!
    My top ten, in no particular order:
    Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb
    Dunhill Desire(red)
    Polo
    Halston Man Amber
    Mugler Pure Havane
    Calvin
    Green Irish Tweed
    D&G The One Gentleman
    Coolwater

I inquired about it at the local L'occitane store and they say that they've heard anything about it. It is one of their best selling Men's frag. I believe this is just a rumor ;-)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Cartier D'un Soir
    2. Loewe Essencia
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Herb Alpert Listen
    5. Artisan
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Pal Zileri No 18
    9. TdH
    0. Kenzo Homme

Spoke to a rep at the L'occitane boutique in Toronto (Yorkdale). Se was surprised. Like some have already noted its one of their best selling mens frag.
    Summer 2014 rotation:
    1. L'eau d'Issey Summer Edition 2012
    2. Polo Sport
    3. Nikos Sculpture Homme
    4. Versace pour Homme
    5. Dior Homme Sport
    6. YSL L'Homme
    7. Cool Water (oh yea!!)
    8. Millesime Imperial
    9. Ciel Man

Wanted: bottle of Montale Intense Cafe and Aoud Leather.

This has been an ongoing rumor for some time. Every couple of months, someone will state that it's being discontinued, but it hasn't happened yet. At this point, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be more apparent when and if it does happen I'm sure. L'Occitane is notorious for doing away with their best products, so that could be where some of these rumors start.