Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford - a take

There used to be a thread here on Tom Ford Oud Fleur and Tobacco Oud (actually found it via a Google search of "tobacco oud tom ford site:basenotes.net") and after acquiring a bottle of Tobacco Oud - Oud Fleur was way too feminine for me - I thought I'd share my thoughts.

It starts out with a very strong, dusty tobacco leaf accord. As a southerner that's been around tobacco farms since my youth, it was a scent that made me instantly reminisce of being inside of a dusty barn in North Carolina and sitting on top of a heap of freshly dried tobacco leaves that had just been removed from being hung and dried, and subsequently getting yelled at. Then the scent takes an odd turn.

Underneath the tobacco comes a very Oud Wood vibe that subsides rather quickly (it's still there but it's singing backup) and for me, I get some of the same spiciness from Tobacco Oud as I do from Italian Cypress on dry down. Call me odd, but I always got a cinnamon vibe - not the cinnamon stick, but more of the leaf scent that my wife (Jamaican) cooks with which is way subtle - from Italian Cypress on the dry down. I'm getting it here too.

This is not a "clean" scent by no stretch - but nowhere near barnyard skank like Dior Leather Oud. It really goes on dusty, dark, boozy (there's a whisky accord), and then dries down a spicy/woodsy (still not clean) scent that further dries down to a weird mix of Amber Absolute (clean-ish) with some Italian Cypress and Oud Wood dry down. Masculine as heck, like I just hid some freshly wrapped cigars in my well-worn flannel shirt after toasting a visiting neighbor with some well-hidden stash of whisky in my garage (don't tell the wife) after chopping some wood for my fireplace.

Long-lasting, wears well in colder weather (warmer it gets, the spicier it gets actually) and layers great with Oud Wood. Full bottle worthy - not for a lot of folks here. Despite being dusty, tobacco, it's still a very safe scent. It plays close to the skin (colder weather) and doesn't really stray far from prior Tom Ford scents.

In hindsight and after two days of wearing this, its DNA is definitely etched out of prior Tom Ford releases in a way that I can't call it revolutionary. Bits of Amber Absolute, bits of Tobacco Vanille, bits of Oud Wood, bits of Italian Cypress. We're not talking bold like Moss Breches or odd like Purple Patchouli (one of my favorites) but a nice masculine, tobacco with some booze and some dust.

But I like it. A lot.

Hope I didn't bore you with my under-developed nose and drivel.

Default Re: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford - a take

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    But I like it. A lot.

Absolutely not. Your passion for this scent comes through loud and clear. Enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Intresting. Do you prefer it over Oud Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Absolutely not. Your passion for this scent comes through loud and clear. Enjoy it!
    Thank you. Coming from you, this is a complement.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Intresting. Do you prefer it over Oud Wood?
    I can't say that I do, actually. I love Oud Wood but it's a temperamental scent on me where I find myself loving it lesser on some days. So far, this one - due to the aforesaid mixed heritage - has worn differently each time I've tested it. I still favor Oud Wood more, but the tobacco notes really made this scent worth the chase.

I've tried both.

Tobacco Oud - sharp tobacco and incense from the start. It then dries down to just the incense with some hints of oud in the background. It's a nice scent but it's not something I would wear. When I first heard of Tobacco Oud, I thought it would be like a hybrid of Oud Wood and Tobacco Vanille, it turned out it was nothing of the sort. It does share similarity with Amber Absolute, but I wouldn't call it a clone. Similar to AA, there's a lot of incense in this fragrance.

Oud Fleur - as others have mentioned, it's a feminine fragrance. Very floral. Reminds me of Creed White Flowers. Smells like something Tom Ford already released in his Jardin Noir series.

Since the original Private Blends came out six years ago, I don't really consider any of Tom Ford's recent fragrances bottle worthy. I haven't tried Sahara Noir yet though. Heard a lot of good things about it.

Just ordered a split and had high hopes for this one. My personal opinion it smells to dirty for my liking. My wife smelled and said it was one of the worst smelling colgnes I own. Wanted to love this one so much. It's not for me. Out of 5 people I asked they all didnt like it. Guess it's on to the next one for me

Quote Originally Posted by Smatt99 View Post
    My personal opinion it smells to dirty for my liking.
    Oh, I totally get what you're saying. Unlike some other Tom Ford's, I'm finding myself pulling the trigger on this one a bit lighter to get some of the finer notes out of it. Some of the BN favorites are definitely dirtier than this. If you have some of the other Tom Ford's, layer it (spray last) with some of their lighter ones out there - yet to test it with Neroli Portofino, but it actually layered well with Azure Lime.

Smart of you to decant though. You could probably trade it away without issue here at BN.

I get frankincense as the dominant note with oud and tobacco in the background. Very nice. Oud Fleur is almost to floral at first but after about 15 min I can smell the oud and it becomes quite far from too femme. I find it superior to Tobacco Oud.

Blog Entries

Gerbick! Please add your first post as a review of this scent!!! There is only one review, and this one needs to be there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Gerbick! Please add your first post as a review of this scent!!! There is only one review, and this one needs to be there, too.
    Ha! Man, I don't even trust my own nose well enough to consider this worthy of a review. But perhaps I'll add it after I refine it a bit, remove the fluff perhaps. Thanks... really appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Ha! Man, I don't even trust my own nose well enough to consider this worthy of a review. But perhaps I'll add it after I refine it a bit, remove the fluff perhaps. Thanks... really appreciate it.
    No problem. A lot of us here have been debating the nature of reviews, and some of the best and most interesting ones are the unconventional "takes" that appear as first posts. They're far more interesting reading (and often much more authentic sniffs) than a lot of the note-listings that people do when they make reviews look like they're "supposed to look". My recommendation is keep the fluff, and any detractors can bug off, as far as I'm concerned. It's like Naed Nitram - that guy had all the really oddball reviews that people just loved. He could really nail down the feeling of a fragrance with his 3-paragraph humorous short stories. And Vibert had a great style, too. Sorry his stuff is gone. So don't be afraid to be a friggin' author. Lord, we could use a bit of that!!!

Just blind bought this. Have not received it yet, but it is sounding like there might be a 50/50 chance of success for me. Why do I blind buy? WHY? lol

Tried it at Neiman Marcus the other day and didn't care for the opening, but it started to grow on me after the dry down. Lasted 7+ hours on the skin. When my wife got home I asked her to smell it and the response I got was "All I smell is Red Hots" (cinnamon candy). So she didn't like it.

Her not liking it seems to be a common theme with Tom Ford scents. TV got me "You smell like vanilla room deodorizer or my bubble bath." And Italian Cypress returned "Now you smell like hamster bedding." (she gets a lot of cedar out of it I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Good suggestion Red! This needs to be in a review. Just as is! I awalys appreciate reviews that offer some direct and non technical opinions on a fragrance.

Reviews are always just an opinion. It is very helpful to have those opinions in the directory to get another view on a fragrance. Please do add it as a review. I put reviews in every now and then because I appreciate the various points of view of others on fragrances, especially if I am trying to make a decision to buy it or not. I don't put too much thought into them and I never try to get the technical details just right because it is really difficult to know. But personal opinion on how it smells is so helpful. You can't tell much from test wear and the views of others in the directory is such a service to the fragrance community!

I agree! Add your review to the database.

Unconventional and conventional takes are more than welcome there and much more interesting than "I like it b-cuz it is gud"

For discussions, spinning a review off into a different direction is super-productive as it allows people to engage with aspects of the scent/review. For example, I find Tobacco Oud to be almost entirely devoid of oud (most "oud" scents today have never touched a drop of oud), but still effective as a scent overall. The oud in Oud Fleur is more prominent to me (and that also has a buried but fascinating rose note that is either a top-shelf fractionation or even perhaps an otto), but the tobacco in this is what really makes it tick. This is not a wimpy scent, and I was taken by how dirty it actually is. Although I'm predisposed to filth in perfumery (the dirtier the better for me), for folks who dig chemically clean stuff, or even uber-safe stuff like Neroli Portofino, this is going to be an abrasive ride! And as someone mentioned above, this is a different kind of dirt than, say, Dior's Leather Oud (which I consider to be a brilliant, evocative thing)—it's a dry, scratchy dirt with a great deal of mystery to it.

But the one thing thing that I can't get my head around are the comparisons to Amber Absolute. I worship Amber Absolute and have owned / worn it for years, but I don't get a drop of that in this at all. This has an amber base, but it's a derivative, uninspired amber—the exact same thing that's structuring the (IMO) horrendously bad Rive d'Ambre. Amber Absolute was a masterfully minimal composition of resins, woods, and vanilla whereas the base in this is largely a lactonic benzoin. If anything, it's closer to the base of Sahara Noir.

So yes, review away! Fill up the database, and spin the discussion reviews as questions about aspects of the scent that will get people talking! Although the non-oud oud discussion has been done to death, I am curious as to how others find the dirt factor in this one? And for those of you have tried it and found it too dirty, I'm curious to see if you've tried the jaw-dropping Montecristo by Masque?
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th November 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Thank you for sharing your impressions. This one is on my list to try.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post

. . . I find Tobacco Oud to be almost entirely devoid of oud (most "oud" scents today have never touched a drop of oud), but still effective as a scent overall. The oud in Oud Fleur is more prominent to me (and that also has a buried but fascinating rose note that is either a top-shelf fractionation or even perhaps an otto), but the tobacco in this is what really makes it tick. This is not a wimpy scent, and I was taken by how dirty it actually is. Although I'm predisposed to filth in perfumery (the dirtier the better for me), for folks who dig chemically clean stuff, or even uber-safe stuff like Neroli Portofino, this is going to be an abrasive ride! And as someone mentioned above, this is a different kind of dirt than, say, Dior's Leather Oud (which I consider to be a brilliant, evocative thing)—it's a dry, scratchy dirt with a great deal of mystery to it.

But the one thing thing that I can't get my head around are the comparisons to Amber Absolute. I worship Amber Absolute and have owned / worn it for years, but I don't get a drop of that in this at all. This has an amber base, but it's a derivative, uninspired amber—the exact same thing that's structuring the (IMO) horrendously bad Rive d'Ambre. Amber Absolute was a masterfully minimal composition of resins, woods, and vanilla whereas the base in this is largely a lactonic benzoin. If anything, it's closer to the base of Sahara Noir.

So yes, review away! Fill up the database, and spin the discussion reviews as questions about aspects of the scent that will get people talking! Although the non-oud oud discussion has been done to death, I am curious as to how others find the dirt factor in this one? . . .
    Great observations, DI.
    Agree totally as Tobacco Oud seems "to be almost entirely devoid of oud". I smell no oud in it at all either. If they used oud lost among all these bold odors it was wasted money, imo. because I don't smell it. I also detect a similarity to the base of Sahara Noir which might be ambery frankincense. Tobacco Oud doesn't smell like Ambre Absolute to me either. When I first wore Tobacco Oud, like you I was most impressed by the "dirtiness" of the base. It has a complicated dirty dry blend that emerges from a slight gourmand coffee aspect that I like. The dirtiness smells sour, dry and a little like wet coffee grounds. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyraceum (Africa Stone) is used in this mix. Hyraceum is the fossilized urine droppings of a South African guinea pig like animal called a Cape Hyrax. The animalistic scent is similar to a heady mix of Musk, Civet, Castoreum and Tobacco. I am guessing they might use this natural and non threatening to the animal ingredient because of the slight tobacco scent to it and how it might add a dusty dry dirtiness to the base - this smells like it to me. I would be curious to see a detailed list of ingredient notes from the perfumer.

^ As an aside, if you want to experience full-on hyraceum, check out Olympic Orchids' Tropic of Capricorn. Frankly, I think it's a terrible fragrance due to the amount of hyraceum that's in it, but it's one you won't forget. That material needs to be handled with great sensitivity!

Basenotes Institution

I still have not tried this one, and after reading the original post, now I will. I sort of get overwhelmed with the Tom Ford releases - I cannot keep up.

The cinnamon notes that a couple of you mentioned is intriguing.

Tobacco is sometimes tricky on me, so I always approach tobacco scents very carefully.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Very nice fragrance. Reminds me a lot of Sahara Noir, perhaps with a few notes added. As of right now, I can't pick up on any tobacco or oud. All I smell is frankinsence. I'll have to do a side by side with Sahara Noir, they seem awfully similar to me.

Basenotes Plus

There used to be a thread here on Tom Ford Oud Fleur and Tobacco Oud (actually found it via a Google search of "tobacco oud tom ford site:basenotes.net") and after acquiring a bottle of Tobacco Oud - Oud Fleur was way too feminine for me - I thought I'd share my thoughts.

It starts out with a very strong, dusty tobacco leaf accord. As a southerner that's been around tobacco farms since my youth, it was a scent that made me instantly reminisce of being inside of a dusty barn in North Carolina and sitting on top of a heap of freshly dried tobacco leaves that had just been removed from being hung and dried, and subsequently getting yelled at. Then the scent takes an odd turn.

Underneath the tobacco comes a very Oud Wood vibe that subsides rather quickly (it's still there but it's singing backup) and for me, I get some of the same spiciness from Tobacco Oud as I do from Italian Cypress on dry down. Call me odd, but I always got a cinnamon vibe - not the cinnamon stick, but more of the leaf scent that my wife (Jamaican) cooks with which is way subtle - from Italian Cypress on the dry down. I'm getting it here too.

This is not a "clean" scent by no stretch - but nowhere near barnyard skank like Dior Leather Oud. It really goes on dusty, dark, boozy (there's a whisky accord), and then dries down a spicy/woodsy (still not clean) scent that further dries down to a weird mix of Amber Absolute (clean-ish) with some Italian Cypress and Oud Wood dry down. Masculine as heck, like I just hid some freshly wrapped cigars in my well-worn flannel shirt after toasting a visiting neighbor with some well-hidden stash of whisky in my garage (don't tell the wife) after chopping some wood for my fireplace.

Long-lasting, wears well in colder weather (warmer it gets, the spicier it gets actually) and layers great with Oud Wood. Full bottle worthy - not for a lot of folks here. Despite being dusty, tobacco, it's still a very safe scent. It plays close to the skin (colder weather) and doesn't really stray far from prior Tom Ford scents.

In hindsight and after two days of wearing this, its DNA is definitely etched out of prior Tom Ford releases in a way that I can't call it revolutionary. Bits of Amber Absolute, bits of Tobacco Vanille, bits of Oud Wood, bits of Italian Cypress. We're not talking bold like Moss Breches or odd like Purple Patchouli (one of my favorites) but a nice masculine, tobacco with some booze and some dust.

But I like it. A lot.

Thanks for the review Gerbick!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very nice fragrance. Reminds me a lot of Sahara Noir, perhaps with a few notes added. As of right now, I can't pick up on any tobacco or oud. All I smell is frankinsence. I'll have to do a side by side with Sahara Noir, they seem awfully similar to me.
    You are I are in the minority, but I smell absolutely zero oud, and nearly no tobacco. I mostly get a musky ambery light incense. This might be the most disappointing blind buy I've ever made (technically a split, but 50 ml constitutes a buy in my opinion). I really set my hopes up that it would be a less sweet tobacco vanille with some moderate oud. Not even close.

I get absolutely no amber from this scent, but I do get some incense.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    You are I are in the minority, but I smell absolutely zero oud, and nearly no tobacco. I mostly get a musky ambery light incense. This might be the most disappointing blind buy I've ever made (technically a split, but 50 ml constitutes a buy in my opinion). I really set my hopes up that it would be a less sweet tobacco vanille with some moderate oud. Not even close.
    If there is any oud or tobacco then the frankincense overwhelms it completely. Great incense frag but if you looking for oud dominant then this isnt it. Same strong (frank)incense note that is in Sahara Noir.
    I put on a shirt that I sprayed Tob Oud on 2 days before and it smelled very similar of Amber Absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    If there is any oud or tobacco then the frankincense overwhelms it completely. Great incense frag but if you looking for oud dominant then this isnt it. Same strong (frank)incense note that is in Sahara Noir.
    I put on a shirt that I sprayed Tob Oud on 2 days before and it smelled very similar of Amber Absolute.
    I'm definitely with you. I've only smelled Sahara Noir once (not a full wearing, just a wrist spray test) but now that you mention it, I see the resemblance, but much much weaker. Now that I think of it, I also think it conjures up a weaker Ambre Sultan as well, though I haven't worn that in a couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get major connections to Sahara Noir, no connection to Amber Absolute (no amber in any form, but lots of benzoin). The tobacco leaf, I think is great, but zero oud.

The amount of incense in the top is just too much for me.

I get major connections to Sahara Noir, no connection to Amber Absolute (no amber in any form, but lots of benzoin). The tobacco leaf, I think is great, but zero oud.
    Exactly my feeling. Very Sahara Noir, no Amber Absolute.

@Gerbick: Excellent write up! I own this one as well as Oud Fleur. i vastly prefer Oud Fleur over this. To be quite honest, if i didn't have an obsession with having all TF Private Blend perfumes, i'd have likely given Tobacco Oud away!

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Exactly my feeling. Very Sahara Noir, no Amber Absolute.

@Gerbick: Excellent write up! I own this one as well as Oud Fleur. i vastly prefer Oud Fleur over this. To be quite honest, if i didn't have an obsession with having all TF Private Blend perfumes, i'd have likely given Tobacco Oud away!

I liked Oud Fleur best also (why I bought it), but I kind of like Tobacco Oud too. TO is not the best tobacco scent there is, nor is it a great oud, and not necessarily the best for amber, frankincense or vanilla. But, it has its own character that is brusque and distinctive. Very earthy. I think Tobacco Oud is a fine fragrance but it is just not what anyone was expecting or hoping for. Sahara Noir is similar in this regard for me - it just was not what I was expecting as I do enjoy incense fragrances. But it is nonetheless, good for what it accomplishes - just not great.

I tried this at the weekend, and couldn't tell the difference between it and Oud Wood. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't buy both.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb6473 View Post
    I tried this at the weekend, and couldn't tell the difference between it and Oud Wood. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't buy both.
    Really? I get zero oud from tobacco oud -- not even a drop. The tobacco note in it was jaw-dropping, and I suspect there's a new tobacco chemical on the market as the tobacco note in this is almost identical to what's in Puredistance Black. The original Oud Wood is a nice enough synthetic, mainstream oud scent, but this one was stripped bare! To me, it was Sahara Noir with tobacco leaf added.

Basenotes Plus

Oud wood is great, both versions, but tobacco oud? Can't say I'm a fan. Its not bad, but I don't see the need for it. I may have to try it again

Really? I get zero oud from tobacco oud -- not even a drop. The tobacco note in it was jaw-dropping, and I suspect there's a new tobacco chemical on the market as the tobacco note in this is almost identical to what's in Puredistance Black. The original Oud Wood is a nice enough synthetic, mainstream oud scent, but this one was stripped bare! To me, it was Sahara Noir with tobacco leaf added.

I actually can't smell much oud in either, which is a big reason why I like both. Oud in most products is too strong for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb6473 View Post
    They are incredibly different. Heavy frankincense is about all I can smell in Tobacco Oud. There is a little Tom Ford type "oud" in the drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    They are incredibly different. Heavy frankincense is about all I can smell in Tobacco Oud. There is a little Tom Ford type "oud" in the drydown.
    The "oud" shows up more in Oud Fleur (alongside a stunning, but very subdued rose note), but yes, Tobacco Oud is a massive whack of frankincense. It's dirtier than I expected a TF to be as well, especially given just how safe they've been playing it lately.

I get a lot of incense at first from this...much like sahara noir, but then it turns into ambery tobacco honey sweetness -- and it shines until the drydown. I love this fragrance...I do not find it dirty at all....but I don't really get that much oud from it. But for me, honestly, that is a good thing...Oud is not one of my favorite notes by any means, but I don't hate it -- however, my co-workers despise it. Anything with oud = banned from the office (lol). I think this one though I could probably get away with it...I really do not get that much oud from this at all.

I was not expecting the incense (given the name 'tobacco oud') -- that came as a surprise, but it goes perfectly with the other notes and it's wonderful IMHO -- definitely FBW. Maybe even 250ML decanter worthy.
    Last edited by surge; 19th December 2013 at 02:09 AM.

This one made me nauseous.

Basenotes Institution

I was not aware that the perfumer for Tobacco Oud, Olivier Gillotin, is the same perfumer who did Tobacco Vanille. Do fans of both of these scents smell any similarities to the two scents?

I really want to smell this & I keep forgetting to when I encounter the Private Blends. I was just in front of all of them Saturday @ Nordstroms. Duh.

Also, since Sahara Noir is sort of hard to find now, this might be an 'available' option (although a tobacco-prominent one).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was not aware that the perfumer for Tobacco Oud, Olivier Gillotin, is the same perfumer who did Tobacco Vanille. Do fans of both of these scents smell any similarities to the two scents?
    Interesting! I always thought that TV was a Firmenich propriety blend (i.e. no single identified perfumer). It's largely composed of one of their stock bases, and if you see the large bottles at the boutiques (the ones used to fill the decanters), it's labelled as a Firmenich blend.

Thankfully, no connection between the two at all. Tobacco Oud, while far from my favorite, is a characterful, interesting, and fully developed scent. The other isn't.

Basenotes Institution

Many years ago I posted who all of the Tom Ford perfumers were, for all of his Private Blends (at that time). I'll have to find that thread & post a link for it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

If there are any similarities in TV and TO I do not smell them at all!!! Sweet chocolate chip cookies vs dirt tobacco amber.

Basenotes Institution

-- Eckhart Tolle

I really want to smell this & I keep forgetting to when I encounter the Private Blends. I was just in front of all of them Saturday @ Nordstroms. Duh.

Also, since Sahara Noir is sort of hard to find now, this might be an 'available' option (although a tobacco-prominent one).
    I don't get much connection between TV and TO. But i can sort of see that they were created by the same Nose.

After having this for a long while now, i like it more than i did originally. However, very late in dry down it starts to get this sourness to it that happens to me with some perfumes with Incense in the. Last disappointment off the top of my head was Armani Oud Royal. Loved it until it went sour.

Sahara Noir is a bit similar. But Sahara Noir is a very specific and authentic smelling church incense. Where is TO is more vague.

I don't know exactly whats happening with Sahara Noir. I've asked around to some folks in the industry and it doesn't seem very high priority information. So i didn't get much in terms of an answer. Here in Chicago, Neimans on Michigan avenue was restocked a few days ago. The Nordstrom that i bought one of my bottles from that only had one left at the time, now has been restocked as well.

Take discontinuation talk with a grain of salt.

Nicely done! Now I have some crow to eat as "orphan status" formed a big part of my TV bashing :P

Back on track though, TO has some similarities to Sahara Noir, but that's about it. The tobacco note I find to be the same as what's in Pure Distance Black, and the Oud smells the same as the Oud in Creed's Royal Oud (in that there's absolutely no detectable oud whatsoever).
    Last edited by deadidol; 29th January 2014 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I don't know exactly whats happening with Sahara Noir. I've asked around to some folks in the industry and it doesn't seem very high priority information. So i didn't get much in terms of an answer. Here in Chicago, Neimans on Michigan avenue was restocked a few days ago. The Nordstrom that i bought one of my bottles from that only had one left at the time, now has been restocked as well.
    The current word is that it was initially a UAE exclusive for 6 months (it was) and then it was going to get a limited international release before returning to its UAE only status. I haven't seen anything concrete about this yet, but it seems feasible. Also, it's one of the best Tom Fords currently available, so it'd make sense for them to make it as unavailable as possible (or phase it out altogether). That's how they roll.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys for the info on SN.

I'm still trying to figure out if I like it better than Avignon. I have several manufacturer samples that BN member petruccijc gave me last time I visited him. I keep forgetting to give them some skin time.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks guys for the info on SN.

I'm still trying to figure out if I like it better than Avignon. I have several manufacturer samples that BN member petruccijc gave me last time I visited him. I keep forgetting to give them some skin time.
    Personally I would rather take Sahara Noir. If I close my eyes i feel like I'm in church. I'm Serbian Orthodox, but something like this feels closer than something like Zagorsk.

first impressions on tom ford tobacco oud

impressions? based on many reviews and comments in the fragrance community, i was prepared for the worst
    . what happens on first sniff? i was really impressed and happy about it. i get a slightly boozy smoky tobacco. slightly spicy with a resinous background (amber). in terms of the comparison with amber absolute, yes i do get minor similarities but nothing significant. i also got some cinnamon and amber in the late drydown that reminded me of ambre narguile's late drydown

I have small decants of tobacco and wood. Tobacco is my favorite of the two. I guess I'm really starting to love the skanky stuff because this isn't skanky enough. The opening is a nice blast tobacco and incense that I find, much like oud wood, wears close to the skin. Neither is full bottle worthy for me. So I plan to experiment with mixing them. Since some are making comparisons to AA, I'll make that the base. What should the ratios be? I want to boost oud wood up.

3 parts AA - 5 oud wood - 2 tobacco........and a trace of Norma kamali. Then let it macerate.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I guess I'm really starting to love the skanky stuff because this isn't skanky enough.
    It's about time

Might I suggest exploring Sonoma Scent Studio? I'm currently working through the line, but I'm certain it'll speak to the direction you're heading. Try Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Winter Woods, and Incense Pure. I'll have some extended reviews of them all coming up soon.

It's about time

Might I suggest exploring Sonoma Scent Studio? I'm currently working through the line, but I'm certain it'll speak to the direction you're heading. Try Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Winter Woods, and Incense Pure. I'll have some extended reviews of them all coming up soon.
    Man......On the skank note. I'm waiting on my montecristo split to get here!!!! Damn arctic blast shut the whole south down.

I'm def interested in Sonoma. She has great pricing too.

I really need to go sample my decant again. Based on my initial short wearing, my limited nose picked up the same tobacco from TV, and an incense note. I definitely need to give this a better wearing next time.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

elevations private blend.....I left out the Norma K. Just a trace may have been to much. I'll let you know how it comes out.image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post

3 parts AA - 5 oud wood - 2 tobacco........and a trace of Norma kamali. Then let it macerate.
    Lol......the elevation remix is actually pretty good! Much better than my perfumer apprentice blends. I went 1-3-1 the amber makes it project much better. Can't wait until it all syncs together. I think I might put the trace of NK for some smokiness.

Am I the only who really like Tobacco Oud? Oud Fleur on my skin is quite boring. I think it smells like Bekkali's Songe. But Songe smells so much more beautiful and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Am I the only who really like Tobacco Oud? Oud Fleur on my skin is quite boring. I think it smells like Bekkali's Songe. But Songe smells so much more beautiful and cheaper.
    i also like it check out my first impressions above

I don't really find the two similar to be honest. Only the fact they have a nice, sweet, but not too sweet dry-down. Tobacco Oud goes to a sweet pipe tobacco while Amber Absolute goes to a sweet labdanum amber.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    You are not alone. I just stopped by Neiman Marcus and picked up a bottle. Scored a free 15ml TF atomizer filled with the discontinued Amber Absolute. My bottle of AA is almost empty so this was a very nice bonus!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Sorry, I didn't note. I've heard read similarities elsewhere on the site and reviews on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Oh sorry, I didn't say they were similar. I said I scored a free TF atomizer of AA with purchase of Tobacco Oud.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)