Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford - a take

Quote Originally Posted by dmb6473 View Post
    I tried this at the weekend, and couldn't tell the difference between it and Oud Wood. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't buy both.
    Really? I get zero oud from tobacco oud -- not even a drop. The tobacco note in it was jaw-dropping, and I suspect there's a new tobacco chemical on the market as the tobacco note in this is almost identical to what's in Puredistance Black. The original Oud Wood is a nice enough synthetic, mainstream oud scent, but this one was stripped bare! To me, it was Sahara Noir with tobacco leaf added.

Dependent

Oud wood is great, both versions, but tobacco oud? Can't say I'm a fan. Its not bad, but I don't see the need for it. I may have to try it again
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Really? I get zero oud from tobacco oud -- not even a drop. The tobacco note in it was jaw-dropping, and I suspect there's a new tobacco chemical on the market as the tobacco note in this is almost identical to what's in Puredistance Black. The original Oud Wood is a nice enough synthetic, mainstream oud scent, but this one was stripped bare! To me, it was Sahara Noir with tobacco leaf added.

I actually can't smell much oud in either, which is a big reason why I like both. Oud in most products is too strong for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmb6473 View Post
    I tried this at the weekend, and couldn't tell the difference between it and Oud Wood. That's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't buy both.
    They are incredibly different. Heavy frankincense is about all I can smell in Tobacco Oud. There is a little Tom Ford type "oud" in the drydown.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    They are incredibly different. Heavy frankincense is about all I can smell in Tobacco Oud. There is a little Tom Ford type "oud" in the drydown.
    The "oud" shows up more in Oud Fleur (alongside a stunning, but very subdued rose note), but yes, Tobacco Oud is a massive whack of frankincense. It's dirtier than I expected a TF to be as well, especially given just how safe they've been playing it lately.

I get a lot of incense at first from this...much like sahara noir, but then it turns into ambery tobacco honey sweetness -- and it shines until the drydown. I love this fragrance...I do not find it dirty at all....but I don't really get that much oud from it. But for me, honestly, that is a good thing...Oud is not one of my favorite notes by any means, but I don't hate it -- however, my co-workers despise it. Anything with oud = banned from the office (lol). I think this one though I could probably get away with it...I really do not get that much oud from this at all.

I was not expecting the incense (given the name 'tobacco oud') -- that came as a surprise, but it goes perfectly with the other notes and it's wonderful IMHO -- definitely FBW. Maybe even 250ML decanter worthy.
    Last edited by surge; 19th December 2013 at 02:09 AM.

This one made me nauseous.

Basenotes Institution

I was not aware that the perfumer for Tobacco Oud, Olivier Gillotin, is the same perfumer who did Tobacco Vanille. Do fans of both of these scents smell any similarities to the two scents?

I really want to smell this & I keep forgetting to when I encounter the Private Blends. I was just in front of all of them Saturday @ Nordstroms. Duh.

Also, since Sahara Noir is sort of hard to find now, this might be an 'available' option (although a tobacco-prominent one).
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was not aware that the perfumer for Tobacco Oud, Olivier Gillotin, is the same perfumer who did Tobacco Vanille. Do fans of both of these scents smell any similarities to the two scents?
    Interesting! I always thought that TV was a Firmenich propriety blend (i.e. no single identified perfumer). It's largely composed of one of their stock bases, and if you see the large bottles at the boutiques (the ones used to fill the decanters), it's labelled as a Firmenich blend.

Thankfully, no connection between the two at all. Tobacco Oud, while far from my favorite, is a characterful, interesting, and fully developed scent. The other isn't.

Basenotes Institution

Many years ago I posted who all of the Tom Ford perfumers were, for all of his Private Blends (at that time). I'll have to find that thread & post a link for it.

-- Eckhart Tolle

If there are any similarities in TV and TO I do not smell them at all!!! Sweet chocolate chip cookies vs dirt tobacco amber.

Basenotes Institution

-- Eckhart Tolle

I really want to smell this & I keep forgetting to when I encounter the Private Blends. I was just in front of all of them Saturday @ Nordstroms. Duh.

Also, since Sahara Noir is sort of hard to find now, this might be an 'available' option (although a tobacco-prominent one).
    I don't get much connection between TV and TO. But i can sort of see that they were created by the same Nose.

After having this for a long while now, i like it more than i did originally. However, very late in dry down it starts to get this sourness to it that happens to me with some perfumes with Incense in the. Last disappointment off the top of my head was Armani Oud Royal. Loved it until it went sour.

Sahara Noir is a bit similar. But Sahara Noir is a very specific and authentic smelling church incense. Where is TO is more vague.

I don't know exactly whats happening with Sahara Noir. I've asked around to some folks in the industry and it doesn't seem very high priority information. So i didn't get much in terms of an answer. Here in Chicago, Neimans on Michigan avenue was restocked a few days ago. The Nordstrom that i bought one of my bottles from that only had one left at the time, now has been restocked as well.

Take discontinuation talk with a grain of salt.

Nicely done! Now I have some crow to eat as "orphan status" formed a big part of my TV bashing :P

Back on track though, TO has some similarities to Sahara Noir, but that's about it. The tobacco note I find to be the same as what's in Pure Distance Black, and the Oud smells the same as the Oud in Creed's Royal Oud (in that there's absolutely no detectable oud whatsoever).
    Last edited by deadidol; 29th January 2014 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I don't know exactly whats happening with Sahara Noir. I've asked around to some folks in the industry and it doesn't seem very high priority information. So i didn't get much in terms of an answer. Here in Chicago, Neimans on Michigan avenue was restocked a few days ago. The Nordstrom that i bought one of my bottles from that only had one left at the time, now has been restocked as well.
    The current word is that it was initially a UAE exclusive for 6 months (it was) and then it was going to get a limited international release before returning to its UAE only status. I haven't seen anything concrete about this yet, but it seems feasible. Also, it's one of the best Tom Fords currently available, so it'd make sense for them to make it as unavailable as possible (or phase it out altogether). That's how they roll.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys for the info on SN.

I'm still trying to figure out if I like it better than Avignon. I have several manufacturer samples that BN member petruccijc gave me last time I visited him. I keep forgetting to give them some skin time.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks guys for the info on SN.

I'm still trying to figure out if I like it better than Avignon. I have several manufacturer samples that BN member petruccijc gave me last time I visited him. I keep forgetting to give them some skin time.
    Personally I would rather take Sahara Noir. If I close my eyes i feel like I'm in church. I'm Serbian Orthodox, but something like this feels closer than something like Zagorsk.

first impressions on tom ford tobacco oud

impressions? based on many reviews and comments in the fragrance community, i was prepared for the worst
    . what happens on first sniff? i was really impressed and happy about it. i get a slightly boozy smoky tobacco. slightly spicy with a resinous background (amber). in terms of the comparison with amber absolute, yes i do get minor similarities but nothing significant. i also got some cinnamon and amber in the late drydown that reminded me of ambre narguile's late drydown

I have small decants of tobacco and wood. Tobacco is my favorite of the two. I guess I'm really starting to love the skanky stuff because this isn't skanky enough. The opening is a nice blast tobacco and incense that I find, much like oud wood, wears close to the skin. Neither is full bottle worthy for me. So I plan to experiment with mixing them. Since some are making comparisons to AA, I'll make that the base. What should the ratios be? I want to boost oud wood up.

3 parts AA - 5 oud wood - 2 tobacco........and a trace of Norma kamali. Then let it macerate.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I guess I'm really starting to love the skanky stuff because this isn't skanky enough.
    It's about time

Might I suggest exploring Sonoma Scent Studio? I'm currently working through the line, but I'm certain it'll speak to the direction you're heading. Try Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Winter Woods, and Incense Pure. I'll have some extended reviews of them all coming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's about time

Might I suggest exploring Sonoma Scent Studio? I'm currently working through the line, but I'm certain it'll speak to the direction you're heading. Try Tabac Aurea, Ambre Noir, Winter Woods, and Incense Pure. I'll have some extended reviews of them all coming up soon.
    Man......On the skank note. I'm waiting on my montecristo split to get here!!!! Damn arctic blast shut the whole south down.

I'm def interested in Sonoma. She has great pricing too.

I really need to go sample my decant again. Based on my initial short wearing, my limited nose picked up the same tobacco from TV, and an incense note. I definitely need to give this a better wearing next time.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

elevations private blend.....I left out the Norma K. Just a trace may have been to much. I'll let you know how it comes out.Attachment 25128

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post

3 parts AA - 5 oud wood - 2 tobacco........and a trace of Norma kamali. Then let it macerate.
    Lol......the elevation remix is actually pretty good! Much better than my perfumer apprentice blends. I went 1-3-1 the amber makes it project much better. Can't wait until it all syncs together. I think I might put the trace of NK for some smokiness.

Am I the only who really like Tobacco Oud? Oud Fleur on my skin is quite boring. I think it smells like Bekkali's Songe. But Songe smells so much more beautiful and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    Am I the only who really like Tobacco Oud? Oud Fleur on my skin is quite boring. I think it smells like Bekkali's Songe. But Songe smells so much more beautiful and cheaper.
    i also like it check out my first impressions above

I don't really find the two similar to be honest. Only the fact they have a nice, sweet, but not too sweet dry-down. Tobacco Oud goes to a sweet pipe tobacco while Amber Absolute goes to a sweet labdanum amber.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    You are not alone. I just stopped by Neiman Marcus and picked up a bottle. Scored a free 15ml TF atomizer filled with the discontinued Amber Absolute. My bottle of AA is almost empty so this was a very nice bonus!
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Sorry, I didn't note. I've heard read similarities elsewhere on the site and reviews on YouTube!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Oh sorry, I didn't say they were similar. I said I scored a free TF atomizer of AA with purchase of Tobacco Oud.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)