Code of Conduct

Thread: Flankers Etc...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Flankers Etc...

I am very upset with JPG..
    after the masterpiece Le Male- (Hate it or Love it)
    Terrible and Le Beau???
    These are very mediocre IMO..
    Also not flankers but Kokorico?

Cool Water also rides on the success of the original..
    I am sure the flankers don't sell near as much as the original..

Anyway do you feel the same about these and what other house or Flankers?

Default Re: Flankers Etc...

I personally like the JPG flankers I own and other JPG releases and although I don't own all the Cool Water flankers, I like the ones I do have. (761)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

I feel like some houses really put some effort into their flankers, and others don't seem to put more effort than a summer limited edition, to be honest.

I love Givenchy's Pi Neo - I feel like that is a really worthy flanker. And a lot of the Intense flankers have been worthwhile. But yeah - didn't even miss Terrible. Heck - it would have been more noticeable if it WAS "terrible".

42 degrees and windy.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hmm?
    Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    42 degrees and windy.

I don't put any thought into the house or how many flankers have been released.
    I just buy what I like. Very simple.

Usually the flankers are not up there with the originals, but there are many exceptions, and thinking of houses Dior and Mugler immediately come to mind.

I actually liked Terrible more than I did JPG Le Male.

Fleurs de Male is the only one of this series I enjoy.
    Found these flankers on my recent trips:
    Both smell quite nice, I prefer the Aramis.
    There`s a FB of Versace Metal Jeans (strange, hm?) in the shelve of this store. Anybody knows this?

TIM_5089.jpgTIM_5072.jpg
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    I actually liked Terrible more than I did JPG Le Male.
    I was hoping that it would grab me, since Le Male never quite did, but it just didn't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eule View Post
    Fleurs de Male is the only one of this series I enjoy.
    Found these flankers on my recent trips:
    Both smell quite nice, I prefer the Aramis.
    There`s a FB of Versace Metal Jeans (strange, hm?) in the shelve of this store. Anybody knows this?

TIM_5089.jpgTIM_5072.jpg
    I'm in "like" with Davidoff Adventure, and actually own a bottle. Do you think Amazonia is much (or anything) of an improvement?

Also liking, even if not outstandingly thrilled, by Terrible but enjoying it still enough to probably buy it.

Other than that, I agree that most designer flankers are very hit and miss, yet there are nevertheless some good ones (naming now some personal favorites from several random houses): Guerlain Homme Boisee, Gucci Guilty Intense, Ck One Shock, TDH Parfum, Boucheron pour Homme and Jaipur Homme realeased as EDP, DHI and a few more.

Hey dear Red! I`m not too much into D. Adventure - but this is solid aromatic oriental soft-fougère stuff. I`d describe it as mostly a grapefruit, woody-amber, Iso-E Thing; orange peel with nutmeg & slightly marine and woody notes. Just said: "Hey folks - let`s do a comparison for Red." So we did the best as we can: It strongly reminds all the four people in my kitchen right now of a harsher Tom Ford for Men. The TF feels more detailed & playful and a bit sweeter to me, the Davidoff is more on the dry side and lasts a little less longer I guess. Good but not spectacular. And very possibly no improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I was hoping that it would grab me, since Le Male never quite did, but it just didn't do it for me.

I'm in "like" with Davidoff Adventure, and actually own a bottle. Do you think Amazonia is much (or anything) of an improvement?
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

Declaration Essence is lacking when compared to the original Declaration. It's darker and seems to be missing a lot of what made the original great. The longevity only seems to last for three hours or so where I would get all day with the original though the projection seems to be the same at just below average.

This flanker feels like the B version of Declaration where everything is not as streamlined or satisfying.

Aren't flankers largely cash grabs, though? They capitalize on the monetary success of a scent, not the ingenuity or the quality of the perfume. Of course there are grey areas in addition to "suites" (such as the Library Collection), but for a commercial, mass-market perfume that wasn't great to begin with, I'd imagine that the imperative is simply to move units by any means necessary. Gucci Guilty and the Mugler line seem to be models for this: stick a new color on the bottle, add a different chemical into the top notes, and then spend millions on advertising it as "the new scent that you can't possibly live without." Movies tend to do the same thing; and not to be overly cynical, but the minds behind such release are not creatives or innovators, but accountants reading market-research reports.

Given this, I wouldn't be upset with JPG as he probably had little to do with this aside from lending his name (for oodles of cash, I assume). I'd be more upset with larger ideological processes at work and recognize them for what they are. Thankfully there are plenty of great alternatives out there to commercial / mass-marketed products that still place artistry above everything else.

Now excuse me while I make myself a tinfoil hat.
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th November 2013 at 05:19 PM.

Mugler flankers

Basenotes Institution

Some flankers, oddly, smell better than the original.

I sort of wish they'd make flankers of some scents that I don't like.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I feel like some houses really put some effort into their flankers, and others don't seem to put more effort than a summer limited edition, to be honest.

I love Givenchy's Pi Neo - I feel like that is a really worthy flanker. And a lot of the Intense flankers have been worthwhile. But yeah - didn't even miss Terrible. Heck - it would have been more noticeable if it WAS "terrible".
    LOL, I like Le Mâle Terrible!!!

There are flankers that I like: for instance, there is a Summer version of Eternity that I really enjoyed. If I did not buy it was because I had others in my list.

Habit Rouge L'Eau is a modernized Habit Rouge, you will find that the basenotes share similarities to those found in modern day good-quality mass market designer releases.

I always thought that basenotes were not the problem, rather the talcum powdery feeling in the top notes. However, it is a take on the regular version of HR, which in some circumstances can feel offputting (a scorching hot Summer day, for example).

Some are good, some are bad. As everything in life.
    Last edited by Pollux; 24th November 2013 at 11:01 PM.