Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 24 November 2013

Hi fellow fragrance lovers - have a lovely day!

Gin & Lime Concentree - Pell Wall.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 24 November 2013

Hello all!. Casaque called out to me from the cabinet this
    morning and I answered by pulling her out and spraying her
    on. This version is by LLP but is quite similar to the original
    by Jean D'Albret.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning, Donna Karan Gold for me today.

Have a lovely Sunday, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

E.Coudray Fetiche, with its many nuances.

Have a nice Sunday, all!

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. A day of idleness here after the past couple of day's exertions in Brugge. Chocolate factory, brewery tour, boat trip around the canals, Xmas markets, and a punishing climb to the top of the belfry tower in the main square to burn off a few calories. Preparing a steak and Leffe (Belgian beer) pie for later which should go down nicely. No fragrant purchases, only drinkable ones which are chilling as I write. Mainly this Xmas favourite -

With an ABV of 12 per cent definitely one to be sipped and savoured.

SotD is L'Occitane L'Occitan.

Disappointed to read here that L'Occitane are discontiniung Eau des Baux .
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th November 2013 at 06:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi & a happy Sunday to all!

Poor Mr teardrop is laid low today with a nasty cold that's affecting his sinuses. While in other ways l am of course an excellent nurse, l am taking the opportunity to wear Sables; a perfume he hates.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Drole de Rose.

Hope Mr. Teardrop gets over that cold soon!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 24 November 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fresh Mint Leaf, and about to leave for Mom's,

Hello all, enjoy your Sunday!

Good morning to all the lovely folk! I'm luxuriating in Phi Une Rose de Kandahar by Andy Tauer. I'm sorry to say that I am going to need a FB of this one. I've been trying to convince meself that I don't love it, but it's all lies.

Lavande Ombree by Au Pays de la Fleur d'Oranger
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hi, everyone. It's extremely windy, you could hear it howling most of the night.

Wishing Mr. Teardrop a speedy recovery!

Wearing Xerjoff Irisss this morning, it is very lovely, I was hoping it wouldn't be. I'll need to wear Iris Prima and this one side by side sometime and see which one is better. I also smell of Versace pour Homme. My son stopped by this morning and wanted me to make up a couple of decants to take on a business trip. He's flying to Detroit to learn how to use the Faro 3D laser scanner for work. It should be an interesting trip for him.

Have a great day!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 24th November 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Ferragamo Black

HIstoires de Parfums 1804 fruity top woody bottom
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Thanks kalli & Kilwia, your get well wishes are appreciated!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling A*Men today
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Healing hugs for Mr. Teardrop and RHM's girl Sofie.
    Thankies to Jon for improving my understanding of European geography by taking us on trips.
    Stones are now frozen to the ground, so the fun of landscaping with them is done for the season.
    I'm fresh from the shower and smell beautiful in Marni. It's much better sprayed than dabbed.
    Sounds like daughter and cat are just now arriving for lunch and to watch Kiliwia's Vikings beat our Packers.
    She says my perfume is strong. Too bad, sweetie.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Best wishes for a speedy recover, Mr Teardrop!

Thanks, Quarry! Sofie is much better & should resume a regular class schedule, just in time for the holiday. We're trying to secure tickets to see Catching Fire in IMAX without much success. We'll wait till next week & see if we have some success then.

It's really cold here, no snow but bright Winter sun shining in a blue, blue sky.
    P4216011.jpg

I'm trying one of my samples from Lucky Scent, Carthusia Fiori di Capri edt.
    carfioridicapriedt.jpg
    Notes are: Carnation, lily of the valley, ylang-Ylang, oakmoss, ambergris, sandalwood. I will sometimes react very badly to carnation, so I approached with trepidation. My worries were unwarranted though. This is very pretty & could easily be worn at work.

After my Oprah-esque spending spree in Chicago, I must rein my spending on full bottles. This is sample worthy but not FBW.

Love & hugs to all of you dear friends!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

SOTE

Basenotes Plus

Kiliwia, Irisss is amazing isn't it ?. Regrettably, there is no way I can justify a full bottle at that price no matter how good it is. One for the lottery win, I'm afraid. Damn !.

Wishing Mr Teardrop a speedy recovery - he is in the best possible hands

Best wishes to Sofie - very glad to hear of her progress

Sticking with L'Occitane for the evening - Eau des Baux.

Hope you all had a lovely Sunday!
    Thoughts for Mr Teardrop for a full recovery.

SOTD Cardinal by Heeley

searosesxx170px-SaintSavaTempleSerbiaBelgrade.jpg
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Enjoying a somewhat forced lazy Sunday morning due to our first snow of the season. Only a couple of inches, but some ice on the roads. I may venture out latter, but am just enjoying a nice visit with my mother, who is very easy to entertain.

Delrae Bois de Paradis was the surprise choice today, a VERY sweet woody that I still enjoy, as I can tolerate some sweet jam fruit with a cinnamon dusting before a long woody drydown. Even the rose is tolerable here for me, so all is good.

Blog Entries

Q, RHM, Jon & Sea Roses, thank you all my darlings!

Hello. Angel edt for me today.

Hello, everyone

So glad to hear Sofie's on the mend, RHM -- hopefully she can use some of the holiday vacation time to catch up. Junior year is *tough*.

Your trip sounds like a complete success, Jon -- and that beverage looks fantastic. I know everyone loves the Belgians for their chocolates, but I'm in love with their beers. Especially the sours!

teardrop, here's wishing Mr. teardrop a speedy recovery -- and lots of finger-crossing that his bug doesn't jump hosts!

I'm sampling again today, beginning with Mona di Orio Violette Fumee. Sigh. I think my skin is broken. This and Vanille (both of which I should have LOVED) left me utterly underwhelmed. It's like the base of her fragrances drops out completely, leaving them wan, unsupported, and totally fleeting on my skin. Perhaps I'm simply incapable of carrying off subtle …

Which leads me to The Different Company Bois d'Iris. Tout le sigh. I'm not sure why I continue to try and try and try with JCE and Bertrand Duchaufour. Although I do love L'Eau d'Hiver. In any event, I had high hopes for Bois d'Iris, and it's definitely not terrible -- but after just a *suggestion* of iris at the open, the *only* thing that doesn't do a disappearing act on my skin is the cedar and a bit of the geranium, and it's a very enjoyable cedar that strongly resembles the spicy cedar in CdG Jaisalmer, one for which Quarry and I share a big love. But that's it. And even THAT is fleeting. It's been on my skin only 20 minutes and there's little more than a whisper left. Yeah, subtlety in fragrance is completely wasted on me.

Which, in turn, leads me to Atelier Cologne Silver Iris -- it has a wonderful lipstick-y iris punch of an open, but then it does an abrupt left turn into this sweet, juicy, purple-y blackcurrant thing, all but swallowing the iris. Don't get me wrong, I love blackcurrant, but this is supposed to be about iris. Except it isn't. And then the volume on the blackcurrant suddenly gets spun from about 8 down to 2, and the pink pepper appears -- not as pink pepper but as the ashy, purple-y undertoned incense of Gris Clair! It's the strangest fragrance I've smelled in a long time -- like an olfactory mash-up of 28, La Pausa, L'Ombre dans L'Eau, and Gris Clair. I just wish that iris open had lasted longer. Of the three I sampled today, I like Silver Iris best. But that's not intended to be a ringing endorsement. If it had kept up the opening and not taken so many sudden, strange turns, then *that* would've been something worth at least a decant.

Of course, as I've said, my skin may well be broken when I stray too far from the Serge Lutens/Parfumerie Generale oriental/gourmand oeuvre.

queen of the universe

Thanks to a generous sample from TWolf, I'm enjoying Coriandre by Jean de Couture, the definitive 70s chypre.

Tonight I will warm up with vintage Weil Secret de Venus bath oil as it was intended, in a bath! Something about it anticipates Christmas, and its piny, lavender, barbershop, spicy cookie vibe is nowhere as weird as it may sound.
    Last edited by jujy54; 25th November 2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: removal of uncalled-for apostrophe
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Blog Entries

Thanks, ExtremeK! ln fact l've had a bit of a cold this week too, but l don't get the dreadful side effect of sinus infections that Mr teardrop does. He's off to the doc for some antibiotics tomorrow, it's the only thing that really helps.

Basenotes Institution

30 Roses, I love that scent. Jo Malone, right? I **just** finished my bottle of the disco'd CdG Mint yesterday. It, and the Jo Malone, are one of the handful of scents that capture the natural smell of a torn mint leaf.
    Quarry - you tell 'em! LOL
    cello - last time I sampled that Bois de Paradis, I liked it much better than the previous time. It always makes me think about my sweetie, rtamara41. I struggle with the base, whereas the rose/cinnamon I adore.

I had a **crazy** night last night and ended up getting home super late so I spent most of the day napping which was a total shame since today was a bright, hot & sunny day (Friday & Saturday it rained all day). Still - I needed sleep. Now the sun is setting and it's starting to rain again. I feel like a vampire.

Sampling:

Andy Warhol Union Square by Bond No. 9

I always have a love/hate relationship with BN9 scents...yet I still try to keep an open mind about their new releases and when one comes my way in the form of a sample, I will try it at least once. This one...goes with a rush of tangy citrus and fruit notes and some sort of synthetic musk-oriented-green note before it starts to lead you to the main floral note (freesia). I don't think I'm going to like this. (sigh)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hello everyone,

Monday morning here and I'm finally recovered from Saturday evening. Must say I make a great wingman/woman and that's all that's allowed to be spoken about the night

Jon I thought something was up when an SA told me a few months ago that new packaging coming in. From my previous experience with L'Occitane this aways comes with some discontinuations. Heading out to get a couple of bottles of Eau des Baux today.

Teardrop flinging some virtual anitobotics to your Mr. teardrop, hope he feels better soon.

RHM Yay for Sofie! She will catch up the schoolwork in no time.

Mike I was so hoping to see a big ol' bottle of SOVA as your SotD

Did some sampling of Le Labo, Lutens, Dipiqitue and Malle yesterday with my sister, probably not the best idea given my state at that time. Re-smelling the paper strips now the smoke in the dry down of Patchouli is interesting I get a similar feel from the opening of Bois de A'scèse (Naomi Goodsir). Also enjoyed Vetiver, I like that it's not too bright more herbal and Santal less cedar and more sandalwood please! I use the Le Labo Santal 33 clothing detergent at home so maybe I'm biased, the detergent seems to have less sharpness.

I have also hesitated with the Lutens, they are beautiful scents but something always stops me from getting one, Tuberose Criminelle came close, that camphor quality in the opening reminds me of scents form my childhood but then I was called away to the sniff Diptique. I have sniffed Diptique on numbers occasions and again have not yet brought one. I have gone through quite a few of the candles but not one of the scents, will have to ponder this a bit more.

On to the Malle, of the three roses I sniffed POAL was my favourite, might be the incense and patchouli(?) in the opening that lends a dark sexy edge to it. Carnal Flower was a lovely tuberose made better tempered with bergamot and a some green notes, this might be the tuberose for me. Now to the most interesting of the bunch (for me) Une Fleur de Cassie, it's beautiful. Such an interesting juxtaposition of notes. The spice notes mingling with florals, then calmer florals and hints of powder. It's currently on back order but hopefully lovely big 100ml coming my way before Christmas.

Also stopped at Chanel (yes, again) came home with a back up of Sycamore and 31 Rue Cambon. After all that I'm in Le Lebo Rose 31 today. On the agenda a little work from home, lunch date and running errands on this perfect spring day.

ErinK polished off the chocolates, along with a very buttery croissant for breakfast this morning. Hehe.

ExtremeK your skin is not broken, it's perfect. You like what you like, nothing more nothing less

Have wonderful evening everyone!
    Last edited by Xscent; 25th November 2013 at 05:10 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Creed Acqua Fiorentina tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thanks to everybody for your lovely posts. We smell great!

In a drop of Mauboussin, going to bed.

Safanad by Parfums de Marly