Code of Conduct

Default Creamy sandalwood drydown

So I got really excited at a fragrance store and sprayed on 4 (!) different leathery/smoky/woody scents, even though I know I shouldn't have and am now paying the price. Throughout the remainder of the day, I noticed the most delicious creamy (sandal?)woody smell radiating from my clothes, namely from the sleeve of my sweater where it rubbed my arm. It permeated everything and I loved it! It lasted for days.
    I figured it must have been one of the fragrances I sprayed that day, but alas, I've tried them again and there was no repeat performance to be had. So now I've been on the impossible quest of finding this gorgeous scent, that I now am starting to think was just a figment of my olfactory imagination...

Any suggestions?

The four that I tried (and re-tried) are:
    Puredistance M
    Jovoy Private Label
    Les Nombres d'Or Cuir
    Amouage Opus VII (this is the only one I didn't try twice because it smelled bad on me...damn chemistry!)

I actually found something similar in Fuegia's Malabrigo, but it leans more musky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creamy sandalwood drydown

Hi, and welcome to Basenotes!

You know - it's a hard question to answer. Yes - our sense of smell can change from day to day and even hour to hour, so just because it smells different, doesn't mean that the sandalwood isn't there. Sandalwood is a subtle scent, and your sense of it can change easily. I know this because I have had scents where I said "Where is the sandalwood?", and then I came back to them, and it knocked me over. So there is that.

There is also the possibility that the layered base had some combination that really clicked for you. This is entirely possible. I would tend to think that sandalwood would be more apparent in a SINGLE fragrance, but things don't always work out the way we thing they should.

Welcome to the reality of fragrance. It's very, very time-dependent. This is why you should never get involved in an Aventus batch variation thread - not everybody there is actually smelling real differences. The only way to rule out temporal differences is mental training (doesn't always work) or side-by-side comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There is also the possibility that the layered base had some combination that really clicked for you.
    This would be my guess also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Agree -- sounds like a mixture of the 4. Infuriating

Oh oohh, we have a master perfumer in the house and he doesn't even know it...lol
    must of been the layering plus olfactory been exposed to myriad of frags at that particular moment...plus remember your olfactory memory bank at that instant banked new smells to it record banks....that's why is wise to sample juice and try them in a neutral environment to avoid this mixup ....Cheerios
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Agree -- sounds like a mixture of the 4. Infuriating
    To say the least!

I "tracked down" the scent to a very specific spot on my sweater, and was like, "oh! It's the private label for sure". And that sent me down a disappointing path.
    But at the same time, the scent I was after wasn't one that could easily be detected by putting your nose in it, rather when the fabric was moved in space. So it was more sillage than skin. Making it even harder to track down. Makes me think one of them tricky "musks" were involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Hi, and welcome to Basenotes!
    Thanks! I joined a while back, but with the website move all of my previous posts disappeared and now I'm back to being a noob...which is kind of where I belong anyways

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanesque View Post
    To say the least!

I "tracked down" the scent to a very specific spot on my sweater, and was like, "oh! It's the private label for sure". And that sent me down a disappointing path.
    But at the same time, the scent I was after wasn't one that could easily be detected by putting your nose in it, rather when the fabric was moved in space. So it was more sillage than skin. Making it even harder to track down. Makes me think one of them tricky "musks" were involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I joined a while back, but with the website move all of my previous posts disappeared and now I'm back to being a noob...which is kind of where I belong anyways
    My other thought was that it was due to the way the note performs on fabric, so you might not be able to recreate it on skin, even with the same scent.
    I know there are some notes that get into my sweaters and hang around forever that aren't necessarily so prominent in the scents they come from.

Out of those I'd say it's Private Label.

for swap/sale:

That was my guess as well. Haven't been able to recreate it. I guess some stars were aligned that day or something. I don't totally love Private Label. I may just use up the rest of my sample to spray on a clothing item and forgo skin contact altogether and see where that takes me.

Rather than chase phantoms, though, maybe my energy would be better focused on finding a fragrance that is known to have a creamy sandalwoody aura. Any suggestions as to what I could try?

Thanks all!

Agreed.

I suggest you try n'Aimez Que Moi parfum extrait.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Agreed.

I suggest you try n'Aimez Que Moi parfum extrait.
    Reading the reviews it sounds intense! but intriguing for sure. Is this one of those fragrances that you have to buy vintage?

Reading the reviews it sounds intense! but intriguing for sure. Is this one of those fragrances that you have to buy vintage?
    I haven't smelled the vintage but it's irrelevant because the current is very good in itself.

I wouldn't say it's intensely challenging.

It's a rose/sandalwood/moss composition.

for swap/sale:

Rather than chase phantoms, though, maybe my energy would be better focused on finding a fragrance that is known to have a creamy sandalwoody aura. Any suggestions as to what I could try?

Thanks all!
    Give Safran Troublant a try. Has a buttery sandalwood almost from start to finish. Chanel Egoiste has a nice sandalwood dry down.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I haven't smelled the vintage but it's irrelevant because the current is very good in itself.

I wouldn't say it's intensely challenging.

It's a rose/sandalwood/moss composition.
    Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Give Safran Troublant a try. Has a buttery sandalwood almost from start to finish. Chanel Egoiste has a nice sandalwood dry down.

Thanks! Will hunt these down!

Any order or time frame from the first testing? Perhaps the cacophony of notes knocked out your olfactory receptors to all but the sandalwood note/accord.

Quote Originally Posted by maricle View Post
    Any order or time frame from the first testing? Perhaps the cacophony of notes knocked out your olfactory receptors to all but the sandalwood note/accord.
    I think it was just that my sweater, through contact with the skin on my arm, got saturated. It must have been one helluva hefty spray!