Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 26 November 2013.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day!

Eva Kant - O'Driu.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 26 November 2013.

Morning all,

ExtremeK M is something a bit special, I found a light application is perfect. That deep, rich, smooth spiced leather is so damn good in colder weather. I love that you have Ms Katharine’s quote as a fridge magnet! How cool are you? Very I say.

Mike cold showers have their place but I do hope you get yours fixed soon. Here's some more cake and look a party for you too.

Quarry that traffic map looked insane, take care out there.

No meetings today so working from home again. Realised I didn’t wear Chanel yesterday so rectifying this anomaly with a Eau de Cologne for the morning yoga and run and now in a healthy dose of Cuir de Russie extrait.

Getting ready for dinner with a friend. It’s taken several attempts but we finally found a night were he’s not away working and I’m not already out eating

We always manage to find a time eventually, only took five attempts over three months this time round. He’s also one of the few that has any interest in my perfume and swears at delicious food, such a sweetheart.

Enjoy your day everyone!
    Last edited by Xscent; 26th November 2013 at 10:26 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

L'Artisan Cœur de Vétiver Sacré.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Good morning all!

I am not planning on going out this morning, as I am still
    waiting for my broken leg to heal (booked into the fracture clinic
    tomorrow, so hopefully they will say my boot can come off.)

Anyway, as I have a day to myself, I thought I would pick a random
    sample from my collection of many and out came Lady Million by
    Paco Rabanne.
    Not that impressed so far! I know it is very popular, but who wants to
    smell like A.N.Other? White florals and honey are not doing it for me.
    Not quite a scrubber - more a "ho hum."
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Hope the leg is better soon, kewart - in the circumstances it must have been a relief to find that it wasn't a scrubber!

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Going cheap and cheerful today - Swiss Army.

Hello all!

Happy Birthday, mikeperez!
    vintage,,

Happy Birthday Mike! What will it be for your special day - a generous spritz of vintage Shalimar, perhaps?

I'm in L'Heure Bleue vintage PdT today. Gorgeously spicy! (the LHB, that is).

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Tuesday, 26 November 2013.

Happy Birthday Mike

vintage
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Lorenzo Villoresi Alamut for this overcast, windy and rainy morning.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happiest Birthday wishes for Mike!!!! Shalimar vintage extrait is my guess, right?!
    I'm in Jicky Extrait. Snowflakes, stormy wind... it's soon December, I know...

Clive Christian V
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Happy Happy Birthday, Mike!!! Hope your day is filled with wonder and delight and fun and cake and everything you love.

Xscent, that sounds like a great friend to have! LOL at "he swears at delicious food." You crack me up.

kewart, fingers crossed that your boot can come off - you must be sick of it!

I'm sampling Tubéreuse Criminelle today. I hadn't read reviews or notes in a long time so was quite startled by the wintergreen opening, hehe. (I admit I was glad the mentholly blast went away fairly quickly, it sort of frightened me.) Now that it's gone I'm enjoying this super fresh, nearly icy tuberose.

Now heading over to look at the pics of elizrj's new dressing room!

Raghba

Good afternoon

Amour Nocturne for me today, I'm liking it quite a bit! (Can you hear me, Santa? !)

Nice day to all
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Celebrating International

Appreciation Day
    Happy Birthday, you dear soul. Mwah!
    Official scent of the day: Shalimar.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday, Mike!

I hope your medical visit goes well and the boot can come off at last, kewart.

Yesterday I drove out to the mall that has the Crabtree & Evelyn store (40 minutes' drive) to test their 7 new colognes in the Heritage Collection. All are eau de cologne strength, 100 mls and $59.00. I was told that on Black Friday, C&E stores will open at midnight and the fragrances will be 20% off until 8 a.m. (Not sure about C&E outlet hours; call to check.)

Link to the C&E webpage:
    http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com/colle...efault,sc.html

You can see the boxes if you click to "View Details" for each scent.

Wouldn't you know it, just as I was pulling into the mall parking, my daughter phoned my cell to say she had missed the bus and needed a ride home! It's too far for her to walk. So I sniffed as fast as I could; no time to linger and ponder. As it was she had to wait over an hour for her ride. *sigh*

The best of the 7 limited edition Heritage Collection are the 4 colognes marketed to men. These are splash bottles. The bottles and boxes are also quite attractive. (The ladies' scents, as well as their bottles and boxes, are not so great.)

Gentlemen, none of these scents are heavyweights. I don't think any will be your 5 star fragrances. But it might be worth your while to try them if you enjoy classic colognes.
    Ladies, for a gift to a guy who doesn't wear a lot of fragrance, try Sevillian Neroli. I think it would be hard to go wrong with that one.

• Sevillian Neroli ("Spanish neroli with sparkling notes of grapefruit, lemon, tangerine, and white tea, and earthy hints of cedarwood and clove.") I found this to be very pleasant citrusy blend with a masculine vibe as it dried down, and asked for a sample for my husband.
    (The SA decanted it into my own plastic sample size atomizer. The store does not have sample atomizers and there are no official samples of these scents.)

Follow-up: Hubby wore Sevillian Neroli all day, said it faded fast and he couldn't smell it much.

• Old Windsor ("...blend of bergamot, bitter orange and verbena deepened with smoky accords of English sandalwood.") Not my cup of tea but I think some BNers might like it.
    • Neapolitan Bergamot ("...a fragrance blend of Italian bergamot, lemon, ginger, lavender and thyme") I'm afraid I found this a bit dull. It didn't have much going on. Maybe I'll try it again when I next visit the mall.
    • Hungary Water ("With rosemary at its heart, our Hungary Water Eau de Cologne updates this original magnetic fragrance blend with uplifting notes of pink pepper, spearmint, cypress and geranium.") This did not appeal to my personal taste, but I was in too much of a hurry to linger to consider why. Will try it again next time.
    .................................................. ..........

The testers of the three 100ml fragrances marketed to women had spray bulbs that emitted an unappealingly weak spritz. However, the sprayers unscrewed to allow the SA to decant for me into my own atomizers. (Looking at the photo on the website I don't see bulb sprayers so I'm not sure if they were only applied to the testers...very odd. If buying, ask about this.)

Venetian Violet Flower Water. (​"Our Venetian Violet Flower Water adds a modern twist to the classically elegant violet with fruity notes of lychee, raspberry and peach.") A pleasant, mildly sweet violet with fruit notes. Nothing jarring or shocking. I like Annick Goutal's La Violette more, so will not be buying this, but I did bring home a sample to test it further at leisure.
    • Florentine Freesia Flower Water. ("...blends the enticing scent of Italian freesia, cyclamen and muguet with sweetened notes of orange, pear and amber.") Has a strong lily of the valley top note, which I liked enough to ask for a sample, but on the way home when I sniffed my hand again, it had turned into a cloying, sour mess. Not suited for my skin, I guess.
    • Old World Jasmine Flower Water.
    Distinct top note of gardenia. ("...blending white jasmine with fresh floral notes of gardenia, cyclamen and tuberose") My first thought smelling this was, "synthetic." Not what I think of as jasmine. I will test this more if I get back there but I don't have high hopes for it.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 27th November 2013 at 05:11 AM.

Popping in to say...

Happy Birthday, Mike Perez!!

Sending you love, and many best wishes on your special day.

birthday cake candles.jpg

(No SotD for me yet...) Love to everybody. xoxoxoxo

Blog Entries

A lilybelle sighting!

Good to see you! How is the home sale going?

Lightning post to wish my scent-brother Mike the happiest birthday EVER... I'll check back later to catch up.

SOTD is appropriate as for a scent sister: Joya Ames Souers. Love this stuff, it just hits me as "right" from first sniff, for no particular reason that I can think of.

Ames Souers notes: Tamarind, Grapefruit, Cypress, Rose Bulgar, Ginger, Orange Blossom, Cedarwood, Incense, Amber, Sweet Musk.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    A lilybelle sighting!

lilybelle

Happy Birthday, Mike!!!!! Just popping in to wish the a wonderful day.
    I've yet to make my mind up regarding scent.

Basenotes Plus

Happy birthday, Mike!

Parfums de Nicolai Sacrebleu for me today.

Best to all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone. And yes...how did you know saminlondon & Larimar that it would be:

Shalimar (vintage Extrait) by Guerlain

Am I that predictable? LOL

I had plans to take off a 1/2 day from work and go to my friend's spa & get a massage but...work did not allow me to take off early. So...I'm not letting it bother me, I'll do that some other time. Also, a man I knew as an acquaintance (who was much closer to many of my friends) died all of a sudden last week (the doctors think he had a stroke) so tonight is the memorial at his artists studio where he used to paint. It's normally not the kind of event I would even think about attending on the night of my birthday, but sometimes life doesn't work out like we want it to, and so I will be attending at least for a short time to pay my respects and show support to my friends who are feeling a lot of sadness and grief. After that, I will probably go have dinner with a friend of mine. Obviously, today feels oddly different than many past birthdays because I'm single and celebrating my birthday was such a ritual with my ex-husband...so it will take a bit getting used to creating my own birthday rituals and making new memories. Nonetheless, it's truly brightened up my day to log onto BN and have all of you spend so much time and effort to comment and remark on lil' ol' me. ((bear hugs)) to all of you lovely men & women. It feels good to be a Basenoter today. ((warm fuzzy feelings)) And wow - lilybelle showed up too - what a nice surprise.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Hi all & a very Happy Birthday, mike! Sorry your birthday isn't all that you might have hoped, but l wish you at least some moments of joy today, & here's to "making new memories" .

Kewart, hope you get that boot off tomorrow, & that you'll soon be running around as normal.

Wore Sheer Obsession for work on this bitterly cold day.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lilybelle good to see ya! Kewart, hope that leg gets better soon and that you will get that boot off. Xscent, LOL, that would be a wonderful anniversary gift...I think 3 years is glass or leather? Idk. Perfume counts as glass to me! Hehe. I don't think we can get that Beige atm though. Oh well. Just glad to be married to a great guy. I am wearing that scent for sotd, the last few sprays of a decant.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MIKE! Sorry to hear about your acquaintance. Hugs.
    Last edited by kalli; 26th November 2013 at 05:56 PM.

queen of the universe

Happy birthday, dear Mike! I was going to continue with my Weils (Cassandra still lingering on my forearms), but I think I shall synch in old-ish (2005) Shalimar extrait. If only I had cake!

Kewart, I wish you a speedy recovery.

Pleasant day to all.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    He’s also one of the few that ... swears at delicious food, such a sweetheart.
    The best always do!

Xscent, I'm actually a giant nerd, but it's sweet of you to think otherwise!

Happy Birthday, Mike , and may I second teardrop's toast to making new memories!

Cheers, kewart! Good luck tomorrow!

Continuing my 2013 lemming for woods in Feminite du Bois. Mmmmmmm!

A very happy birthday to Mike!

I'm wearing Caron Delire de Rose from a sample today. It's very pleasant, but not particularly moving.

Basenotes Plus

Going for an evening synch in honour of the birthday boy, even if my EDP can't compete with his splendiferous vintage extrait.

ExtremeK, BIG fan of Feminite Du Bois here

Best wishes for tomorrow, kewart

Blog Entries

While he can't smell it, l'm wearing Le Maroc this evening; another from Mr teardrop's hate list. He he.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Rose Anonyme today

Finally finally finally got around to posting today. I'm in Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla. Really growing to love this one. It's very comforting.

Kewart, hope that boot comes off, keep us posted!

XScent, I loved reading your post. Swearing at delicious food cracks me up. But it's true! Damn, that was good! I read a blog where the girl said her boyfriend consistently would talk about past meals. Damn that was good!

Happy Birthday Mike! I know what you mean about making new traditions and memories. Thanksgiving isn't the same without my parents and me not able to hardly eat anything. Now it's about watching the Macy's parade with the kids. There's always more love to find, even if it's not always the exact one we wanted at the exact time we wanted, there's always love. And the more we express and give it, the more we find it. That's been my lesson after I grieved over never having kids and not being married at 40 years old. The more I looked for opportunities to love those around me, the more I found my heart open and love finding me. Sounds kinda hippy-dippy-crunchy, but I found it to be very true.

Speaking of which, Bachelor #3 is courting the hell outta me. He called the restaurant I was at in San Diego and had dessert sent to my table. C'mon, that's freakin romantic. I had been teasing him, sending him pictures of the dishes, because he loves sushi too. And told him I was too full to order the green tea creme brulee, and no one at the table would order it to give me a bite. Next thing I know, a waitress shows up with it. Awwwwww!!

30Roses, thanks for the reviews! I don't really sample that line enough!

ErinK, I'm going to have to put up some more pics for you. I just posted the cabinet. I wanted to get my shoe cabinet together as well first.

Very good points about love Elizrj, so very true. That was nice of #3 to order you dessert.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th November 2013 at 03:45 AM.

elizrj, oh. my. gawd!!! That is just about the most thoughtful thing I have EVER heard! I mean, wow - seriously - who thinks of that? You have really smitten this guy. And green tea creme brulee? Damn, that sounds good!

Also, I loved your post about finding love when we open our hearts to it. Thank you for that reminder, as we would all benefit from living with our hearts so open. And girl, be as hippy-dippy-crunchy as you want! Ain't nuttin wrong with that.

I have been thinking a lot about vanilla perfumes today and it's making me hungry for some VCA Bois d'Iris, which I think is going to be my SOTE. My next sampling foray just might be vanillas.
    Last edited by ErinK; 26th November 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo city baby

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post

Speaking of which, Bachelor #3 is courting the hell outta me. He called the restaurant I was at in San Diego and had dessert sent to my table. C'mon, that's freakin romantic. I had been teasing him, sending him pictures of the dishes, because he loves sushi too. And told him I was too full to order the green tea creme brulee, and no one at the table would order it to give me a bite. Next thing I know, a waitress shows up with it. Awwwwww!!

ErinK, I'm going to have to put up some more pics for you. I just posted the cabinet. I wanted to get my shoe cabinet together as well first.
    Elizrj! That m'dear is a man worthy of your time. Sending dessert to you is utterly adorable, would win my heart in a spilt second. Good move bachelor number #3, green tea brûlée I would be cursing quite a bit at that one. Oh and yes to the shoe cabinet pics.

ExtremeK I'm quite the dag myself and I still think you're cool.

Mike Swooning at your vintage Shalimar, might pull mine out this evening.

ErinK I enjoyed Tuberose Criminelle but yes, that opening should come with a warning.

Have to go for my run, getting distracted on BN again. Will check in later. In Eau de Cologne this fine spring morning.
    Last edited by Xscent; 27th November 2013 at 12:03 AM.

I'm wearing SL Un Bois Vanille today.

Sending love and birthday wishes to Mike

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Happy Birthday dear, Mike!

I'll join you in Shalimar but vintage EDC….my favorite incarnation of the classic.

Dear elizrj, I love your prospective and I understand it. Big hug to you, sweetheart!

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Thanks all of you sweet dear people - my evening ending up being fun at the very end with dinner (after a really beautiful memorial) with my two friends.

Ended the evening in my very favorite SL:

Serge Noire by Serge Lutens

Good night sweeties ((group bear hug))
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Feels slightly awkward to be posting after Mike today, but here comes: Happy Birthday, Mikie! You are much respected and loved, you fuzzy and warm man with bear hugs and a captivating smile. Also, evenings like yours help put things into perspective and be grateful for what we have got without sitting too much on what has eluded us. Many fragrant returns.

I wore something sweet today, Profumum Dambrosia, it is rapidly becoming a favorite here this fall.

Also, Xscent, I saw on another thread -- nice haul, congratulations.

Very nice seeing lilybelle. How has life been treating you, dear?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Feels slightly awkward to be posting after Mike today, but here comes: Happy Birthday, Mikie! You are much respected and loved, you fuzzy and warm man with bear hugs and a captivating smile. Also, evenings like yours help put things into perspective and be grateful for what we have got without sitting too much on what has eluded us. Many fragrant returns.

I wore something sweet today, Profumum Dambrosia, it is rapidly becoming a favorite here this fall.

Also, Xscent, I saw on another thread -- nice haul, congratulations.

Very nice seeing lilybelle. How has life been treating you, dear?
    Nwahhhh, Thanks Twolf I've got a few bottle lined up for Christmas but I'm refusing to open them so they don't count.

Basenotes Plus

Happy belated birthday, Mike!