Code of Conduct

Default Blind buy Bond no.9 New Harlem?

I cant seem to get my hands on a sample or tester bottle at any department store. I enjoy coffee scented fragrances or ones that contain the note or smell. I love original angel men along with pure malt and pure coffee. It is very pricey for a blind buy. The way people describe the smell sounds amazing. Go for it?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blind buy Bond no.9 New Harlem?

Check out Ebay for samples starting at 8 dollars as of now

This one is most definitely not a good candidate for a blind buy. It's best to get a sample online as this scent tends to be polarizing.

I would do as the others have said and get a sample first. Check ebay.

Absolutely.

Just go light on the trigger with this. One or two sprays from about a foot and a half away. It smells great.

No way. Smells 'burnt' up top

People say it smells like coffee. To me, it smells like maple syrup. Like most people, I find the smell of coffee very pleasant, but I also find it hard to get in many fragrances. People say Rochas Man smells like coffee.. hmm maybe a really synthetic coffee then. Same with New Harlem. There are very few fragrances that actually smell like real fresh coffee, and New Harlem is not one of them, but that's just my take on it.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Absolutely not. Call up Bond No 9 and see where they sell their frags around your area.

And I didnt notice any coffee in New Haarlem. It smells like sweet potato pie/cinnamon.

well, do as I say, not as I do....

but we here on BN don't generally recommend blind buying ever. Plenty of ways to get a sample. Sure you'll pay like $5-10 just to get a sniff, but it's better than losing $20-30 by having to sell your blind buy back into the community. Plenty of decanters, webstores, and eBay where you can find some.

heck, in general I still recommend people to get a 5-10ml decant before buying any bottle.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

If you like A*Men, Pure Malt, and Pure Coffee, then DO IT!

Unless you can find a sample, then go that route. Otherwise, just pull the trigger.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If you like A*Men, Pure Malt, and Pure Coffee, then DO IT!

Unless you can find a sample, then go that route. Otherwise, just pull the trigger.
    Yes, Dougzar hit the nail on the head. Judging by your fondness for sweet fragrances, i think you will like it. I have much the same tastes as you, and i think it smells amazing. If it weren' t so pricey, i would definitly own a bottle. My wife loved it also. Smells like Waffle Crisp breakfast cereal, verrrry gourmand in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    People say it smells like coffee. To me, it smells like maple syrup. Like most people, I find the smell of coffee very pleasant, but I also find it hard to get in many fragrances. People say Rochas Man smells like coffee.. hmm maybe a really synthetic coffee then. Same with New Harlem. There are very few fragrances that actually smell like real fresh coffee, and New Harlem is not one of them, but that's just my take on it.

I could not agree more! I don't get any coffee from NH, but I still enjoy it a lot. It's not one you want to blind buy.

I know it's not the answer the OP probably wants, but i think Givenchy Play Intense should be on his test list . I love the coffee drydown in it and how it wears my skin in the colder weather. Just love this scent.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBoy View Post
    Go for it?
    If you're OK with taking risks at that price point and it seems like something you're pretty sure you would like, then go for it. Otherwise, no.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

i will not recommend that one for blind buy of course

new haarlem is a good fragrance but it is not for everybody.

you could find it too sweet, too woody, or too powdery.

Sample first...happen to get a free sample flirting with the SA at Saks. Normally they are stingy with samples, unlike Sephora.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Basenotes Plus

The only reason I would recommend you blind buy this, is because you already mentioned that you like the angel men series. As long as you like those, why not? On the other hand, if you own angel man, you might feel they're too similar to justify the somewhat hefty price tag of new Haarlem. I personally don't, but a lot of fellow basenoters find them to be very similar

Basenotes Junkie

I would say that New Haarlem blindbuy could still be a dicey affair, even knowing the preferences of OP for the AMen line. My problem with NH is that it is nothing but maple syrup. Literally. There is no coffee in it, no "woods", just syrup. I also found it has some sort of chocking effect on me. Granted, I am definitely not into gourmand stuff to begin with, although I own a few bottles that I enjoy (DHI and to lesser extent Pure Malt), but I actually threw away about half of a 5 ml decant of new haarlem...
    Last edited by JimmyP; 1st December 2013 at 06:23 PM.

I bought it blind and was expecting something totally different to what I got. Seeing as I enjoy LIDGE I'd thought this would be in a similar ballpark, man it ain't even playing the same sport.

That said, I really do enjoy it now - its quite unique in what it is, performs very well and who doesn't like the smell of coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This one is most definitely not a good candidate for a blind buy. It's best to get a sample online as this scent tends to be polarizing.
    I echo this sentiment .

If you tried MJ Legend or Rochas man and want something more rich and thick then yes get it! Pm me.