Code of Conduct

Default application point - hair?

So I'm reading up on app points and from my research it says wrists are a waste. So that gives me two more app points.

I'm a guy, so currently I spray on both sides of neck under earlobes, then back of neck, then one on chest then use my wrists to rub the chest.

That's 4 sprays, so spraying on hair, is it worth it? What should I know about this?

queen of the universe

Default Re: application point - hair?

I think hair holds perfume well, though I wouldn't go with te hair on your head. I find the back of the forearm holds fragrance well, as it nestles into the hairs there and develops. fwiw, I'm not a sprayer at all, I dab. If it's a spray bottle I still spray onto cotton then apply. I like the control this affords me.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I'd rather spray on clothing than spray on hair. Safer call.

If I'm using a cologne or lighter EdT in a splash, I often run my fingers through my hair. It ought to hold the fragrance pretty well, and it would help with sillage (if that's what you're after).

I'd love to read your research material. Links?

I like putting it in my hair sometimes.

As others have said, hair keeps scents really well, so you're going to smell it until you wash your hair.

cacio

I nearly always spray in my hair (on my head), and have been doing so for years. I have lots of hair and like it to smell good. In my experience it doesn't necessarily help with longevity (unless you spray multiple sprays in your hair which I don't think you're going to do), but it does help with projection.

Blog Entries

l agree with jujy; the back of the forearm holds scent very well in my experience.

l never spray my hair, but l probably get a little on it when l spray the back of my neck.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I spray my hair as it seems to hold scent better than my skin.

I have lots of long hair so a couple sprays brushed through gives a cloud of scent when left down and allowed to swish around. I find the longevity better on clothes or hair.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Aren't you ladies afraid of frying & damaging your hair.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

I wouldn't spray anything alcoholic on mine, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I wouldn't spray anything alcoholic on mine, personally.
    There are lot of hair products that contain alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Aren't you ladies afraid of frying & damaging your hair.
    One spray can't hurt. I read there are chemicals in hair products that damage your hair, sulphur dioxide or something.

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post

...sulphur dioxide or something.
    I don't think there could be sulphur dioxide in hair product: 1) it's a gas at room temperature, so it's unlikely to stay in solution; 2) in watery solution SO2 turns quickly into an acid, a quite aggressive one (ever heard of acid rain? it's the same principle..), hair care producers should know...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

queen of the universe

klimax, are you thinking of sulfates rather than sulfur (sulpher) dioxide? Sodium laurel sulfate is a common shampoo ingredient.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

One spray can't hurt. I read there are chemicals in hair products that damage your hair, sulphur dioxide or something.
    One spray everyday could hurt.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    I nearly always spray in my hair (on my head), and have been doing so for years. I have lots of hair and like it to smell good. In my experience it doesn't necessarily help with longevity (unless you spray multiple sprays in your hair which I don't think you're going to do), but it does help with projection.
    I do it sometimes when my hair gets longer. TaraYvonne (she's been away for about 4 years!) used to swear by it, and she got me to try it. I generally use scented shampoos now, but I do mist my hair sometimes, too.

I doubt hair is damaged by a couple of sprays of perfume. As others have said, the amount pales compared to what goes on the hair during a shampoo. Of course, one could also use perfumes in oil form for the scope. If they actually existed, that is...

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Of course, one could also use perfumes in oil form for the scope. If they actually existed, that is...

cacio
    I want to say something about the half-dozen or so Creed perfumed oils at this point, but if I do, people will think I'm a shill for sure!

Basenotes Plus

Nah - you're fine, Red - Mandy Aftel makes some eminently suitable ones too!

Blog Entries

Nah - you're fine, Red - Mandy Aftel makes some eminently suitable ones too!
    Whew! Feeling much more innocent now - thanks!!!

(After my Q&A lecture about these oils yesterday, I figured I needed to STHU about Creed for about a year and a half!)

I often dab or spray at the back of my neck near the hairline. Projection to others isn't my goal, I want to smell the fragrance easily as I go about my day or evening. Usually I don't apply behind my ears, but I do apply below my jaws and at the hollow of my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    klimax, are you thinking of sulfates rather than sulfur (sulpher) dioxide? Sodium laurel sulfate is a common shampoo ingredient.
    U would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    OK please I know I should do the same but when u make such a statement some proof would be nice. I think hair products are likely to do more harm to your hair than perfumes. Why? Because we have organic, vegan, natural hair products. There is a market for this for those who are worried about hair issues. Can u say the same for perfumes?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by klimax

[COLOR=#333333

Originally Posted by hedonist222

[/COLOR]

OK please I know I should do the same but when u make such a statement some proof would be nice. I think hair products are likely to do more harm to your hair than perfumes. Why? Because we have organic, vegan, natural hair products. There is a market for this for those who are worried about hair issues. Can u say the same for perfumes?
    Sorry klimax - please could you explain this in a different way as I'm really a bit confused now

Redneck P:

indeed, the UK seems to be the only Western place where bath oils are still being made regularly. Creed, Penhaligon, or Ormonde Jayne have some. Not a fan of Creed, not much of Penhaligon either, OJ has some nice ones (I have Tolu). Other than that, there's Le Labo, and that's pretty much it. Guerlain, Chanel, and Dior m.i.a.- Chanel brought back a no 5 a couple of years ago, but promptly removed it. Estee Lauder has continued for 50 years with its excellent Youth Dew, but just that.

More recently, there's also the appalingly marine Aesop shine - which I have tried, in vain, to gift to people (any marine lovers here?)

cacio

Sorry klimax - please could you explain this in a different way as I'm really a bit confused now
    Yeah sure. Basically hair products have different markets. So mainstream market which the mass public buy, some claim that they contain harmful substances. These people buy the organic, or niche hair products which they believe to be free of harmful substances. So what I'm saying is a lot of people are using the mainstream hair products. Which have documented detrimental effects. But people still use it. So then spraying perfumes on hair. There isn't evidence to say it will 'damage' your hair like so-called harmful substances in hair products. Hope it makes sense, I'm feeling sick right now

Blog Entries

So does anyone know how products labelled "hair perfume" differ from normal perfume in their constituents?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I'm not an expert, but I think most hair perfumes are not in alcohol, but rather some oil. Other than that, I assume that brands would put even less effort in creating them than they put in regular perfumes. But there are exception.Diptyque voile satin is quite good on its own.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Yeah sure. Basically hair products have different markets. So mainstream market which the mass public buy, some claim that they contain harmful substances. These people buy the organic, or niche hair products which they believe to be free of harmful substances. So what I'm saying is a lot of people are using the mainstream hair products. Which have documented detrimental effects. But people still use it. So then spraying perfumes on hair. There isn't evidence to say it will 'damage' your hair like so-called harmful substances in hair products. Hope it makes sense, I'm feeling sick right now

Fair enough - that makes sense now - thank you!
    Hope you feel better soon.

I'm a bit fussy about what goes on my hair in terms of the types of products used (no hairspray - ever!) & personally wouldn't consider spraying an alcohol-based product on it either!
    It's long 'though & the weather here is quite unkind (drying) to hair so others may not share these concerns which are preference, not fact, based.

The few products used on it are pretty mainstream - Aussie & Paul Mitchell.

Ancient Resins is based on FCO & jojoba (O.K. - maybe organic jojoba but that wasn't a consideration for me in this instance) and marketed as a body/hair oil, although it was purchased for the scent.
    Good on the hands after gardening!
    Last edited by lpp; 29th November 2013 at 01:43 PM.