Code of Conduct

Default is eau savage edp a "vetiver extreme"?

Hi guys,

Having in mind a new bottle of vetiver based scent,
    I m wondering about two prominent options. Vetiver extreme really grew on me and after some
    Time I can fully understand it. However eau savage EDP is also a valuable comparator....
    Hence please suggestions. I know both have great lasting power. Cannot remember which, side by.side, is the.true.Beast.
    On Guerlain website it is claimed VE overdosed with vetiver.
    What do you suggest?
    Thanks and best

Corrado
    Corrado Finardi

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: is eau savage edp a "vetiver extreme"?

Eau Sauvage EDP is all about myrhh..
    Very dry and rich imo

Thanks Tony. This is exactly my major doubt... However, nice indeed
    Corrado Finardi

I too think that ES is not primarily about vetiver. (That said, for intense vetivers I'd go for other, unfortunately more expensive, options than VE)

cacio

Not sure about the similarity with Vetiver Extreme, but Eau Sauvage EDP is indeed, in my opinion, one of the most or even the most vetiver dominated in the whole Eau Sauvage range.

Are we referring here to the Eau Sauvage Pure Perfume.....or the Eau Sauvage Extreme....(which I would personally class as the eau de parfum strength) ?? They are 2 quite different fragrances.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

No, not at all. While Vetiver Extreme smells like a modified and stronger Guerlain Vetiver, Eau Sauvage Parfum is not a version of original ES, in fact it smells a lot like Prada Amber pour Homme Intense plus a citrus-ish note, very deep and for fromal and evenings situations. I have original and Parfum, I like them a lot but one has nothing to do with the other, worlds apart.
    Last edited by prosperonline; 27th November 2013 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: is Eau Sauvage (ES) EdP a "vetiver extreme"?

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado Finardi View Post
    Hi guys,

Having in mind a new bottle of vetiver based scent,
    I m wondering about two prominent options. Vetiver extreme really grew on me and after some
    Time I can fully understand it. However eau savage EDP is also a valuable comparator....
    Hence please suggestions. I know both have great lasting power. Cannot remember which, side by.side, is the.true.Beast.
    On Guerlain website it is claimed VE overdosed with vetiver.
    What do you suggest?
    Thanks and best

Corrado
    I tried ES Parfum and I recall the prominent notes were on the vein of Oud / Agarwood. I cannot recall, as far as my memory goes, any clear vetiver notes in it as mentioned by you on Guerlain's Vetiver (other Base Noters might correct me if I am wrong). > ES is 61 euros for a 100 ml bottle in Sephora Italy

If you want a modern take on vetiver based scents, try Lalique´s Encre Noir (EN) in mainstream designer's lines. Please be aware that it was highly hyped some years ago. Still itis much less expensive than the rest mentioned in this response. > 39 euros at E Bay Italy.

Chanel has an exclusif line that includes a similar albeit of a better quality, more subtle blend than EN, more fleeting and more feminine, and much much more expensive. It is called Sycomore. > +/- 120 euros for a 75 ml bottle from what I could get from the Internet. Yu can only get them in Chanel stores...

When it comes to niche, Base Noters praise Route de Vetiver by Maitre Parfumier et Gantier as one of the best vetivers around. I cannot give any references as to this last one for I have not tried it. > 100 euros for 100 ml bottle in a specialized perfume store in Madrid. Distribution is limited so it can be difficult to get: as you can see, expensive.

Other Base Noters will mention their favorite vetiver scents; don't be mislead by responses. Always try before deciding to buy. Be your own judge when it comes to scents and fragrances.

Enjoy!

Both very nice and worthy choices to purchase IMO. I'd give the edge for what the OP is looking for to VE.
    (842)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you all, guys! What is keeping me from.buying ES le parfum is this overtly simplicistic interpretation, which after.a while I personally find appalling. May.be the try to impress with an old school signature, less ingredients for a better depth, some kind of traditional, baseline french perfumery reassuring in ages of existential uncertainty.. :-)
    Corrado Finardi

Quote Originally Posted by prosperonline View Post
    Eau Sauvage Parfum is not a version of original ES, in fact it smells a lot like Prada Amber pour Homme Intense.
    I agree. The EdP smells nothing like the original Eau Sauvage - be warned. It dries down to a rather synthetic amber, which I had to srcub off.