Code of Conduct

Default Bottega veneta pour homme

Hi Guys. Have any of you tried Bottega Veneta Pour Homme? Any thoughts. Ideas?

Thank You,

F

Default Re: Bottega veneta pour homme

Its a nice scent but too weak and its not worth buying at all.

Having conveniently gotten the chance to have worn this quite a few times, after receiving samples during a recent purchase, it's a really great fragrance that stands out from the crowded releases, and part of my seasonal rotation.

A reviewer once said that "there's a musty, almost medicinal pine/fir note combined with a gorgeous, resinous, somewhat chocolatey labdanum", which I would agree with. I should add that the juniper also gives it that slight kick that has been found from the classics of its' kind.

As opposed to its' predecessors, this one is far from being a powerhouse that its' notes portend to. Tomas Maier called it; “devastatingly discreet.”, and I would have to agree.

Antoine Maisondieu is also a nose that has been on my radar as of late, that I look forward to whiffing what he has to offer in the future.

Would I get this FB? Yes. But only after having waited to see if they don't do an "intense" version as I have said multiple times. They went lighter with their female flanker Eau Legere, I hope they go the opposite direction for the men's offering. If they do, not only would it be FB worthy, but I would have to put it on the back-up list too!

If anyone can attest to its' similarities/differences to Agua Brava by Puig, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Arij; 26th November 2013 at 10:44 PM.

I've tried it but wasn't crazy about it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

Nice and different smell but quite weak indeed.

I really like it, and if I could find a bottle, I'd purchase it. I've emailed the company, and apparently it's not avaliable in my country . Citrusy opening (bergamot) with some pine and subtle leather. Very upscale, and gentlemanly. Good longevity, but very little projection.

Basenotes Plus

It's atypical of modern designer releases. Very discreet and rather sophisticated. I don't get the leathery vibe. Definitely not a love at 1st sniff type of scents. I'm still on the fence...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I've tried it but wasn't crazy about it.
    This is the same reaction I had when I sampled it.

Sound Scents

Kind of a vague watered down woody fragrance. Better than the average new release, but nothing to write home about, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I really like it, and if I could find a bottle, I'd purchase it. I've emailed the company, and apparently it's not avaliable in my country . Citrusy opening (bergamot) with some pine and subtle leather. Very upscale, and gentlemanly. Good longevity, but very little projection.
    Hey JiveHippo, Holt Renfrew does carry this. I liked it but not worth FB.

The below sum up my very brief testing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's atypical of modern designer releases. Very discreet and rather sophisticated. I don't get the leathery vibe. Definitely not a love at 1st sniff type of scents. I'm still on the fence...
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Kind of a vague watered down woody fragrance. Better than the average new release, but nothing to write home about, IMO.
    - - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I really had high hopes for this one (unlike Gucci which I have no hope for anymore).
    The one for women was really good. I thought the men's one would at least follow suit.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by DNT View Post
    Hey JiveHippo, Holt Renfrew does carry this. I liked it but not worth FB.
    Thanks DNT. I'll have to investigate!

I tried this one last week. It sounded so interesting on paper, but when it came down it the juice smelt rather generic. I didn't get leather or noticeably rich resins, alas. Disappointing.

On paper, I thought it smelled okay—a little better/more interesting than the rest of the standard mall stuff. But on my skin, it was awful—sickening, in fact. Juniper and I don't get along.

Thanks everyone. Well this is interesting. A really mixed response. Arij, thank you very much for your lovely and informative response. I have tried it actually and I'm with you and Jivehippo on this one. I just wanted to throw it out and see what the men thought of it. I was thinking about maybe getting it for my partner. He came home with it sprayed on a mouilette and he seemed to like it. I was particularly interested in how it would wear.

What did I think? Well, you know, in a sea of fragrances in the department store this one made me linger, and go back and linger again. I thought that there was something really lovely about it, very elegant, masculine, bit retro. Restrained? perhaps.Thats not always bad. Very attractive. I thought that it really had something to it in comparison to other new releases in the same price range, (some of which are just cynical sugar water, instantly forgetable). I understand why some of you wouldn't beat a path to it, in terms of what I know about your style and preferences, but I can see this being very succesful.

Arij, I hear what you say about an intense. It's interesting that they have produced the Legere in the womens version. I think that the original is very light as it is. I wonder if they will go the other way too? That would be a great option.

I liked it, then was on the fence with it, then I think I like it again. My husband loves it. I found it to be pretty spicy and woody. Almost too much spice if I remember right. There is something 'diluted' about it at the same time... would like an intense version, even if it means more spice. The leather isn't too strong, I was kind of looking for it, it ain't no Fahrenheit for sure as far as leather goes..but I am glad about that as FT had an overdose of leather for me. And I hope an intense version wouldn't be adding sweetness to it, that would be such a bummer.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th November 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

In my top 3 of 'designer' fragrance releases in 2013. Lovely drydown -- no 'leather' for me also though.

I will be getting a second bottle soon. No projection or longevity problems for me.

All for £50 and a cute bottle.

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I enjoy the scent but I noticed the sample I got did have longevity issues...I'm having the same problem with Jo Malone cologne intense oud and bergamot. Most say that one isn't so intense either. I wanna pull the trigger but at those prices I might wait for an intense version...

^Jo Malone fragrances IMO are useless, save for a few.

I think I might have liked it were I able to detect it on my skin.

No just kidding, I liked this quite a bit in the store, got a sample (thank god), wore it for three days after which I decided that it was really just mediocre on me--not just the projection (which is truly weak sauce), but the scent itself, which was subdued and refined, yes, but also just unremarkable. I mean, if I am going to spend $$ on something, I would rather have 10 ml of something that really wows me rather than 50-100 ml of something that I know will end up at at the back of the rotation.

Actually based on a previous thread I just found Mr Bill Blass in tj maxx for $14, and I thought to myself, this is what I was hoping bottega veneta pour homme would have resembled.... old school with class... but alas, it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very upscale, and gentlemanly.
    Definitely. That is precisely the feeling I got. I really enjoy it, but I don't think it's a 'me' scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yes! I don't get a leather vibe either. It's piney and absolutely retro - but intentionally retro, meaning that it smells like an interpretation of the past done in a modern style.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I am a third of the way through my bottle of this stuff.
    It's not a powerhouse, but that's not my style. I am a habitual oversprayer - but tend to lean toward lighter stuff that doesn't offend anyone...so that's how I justify it. Bottega Veneta is one of only two newer designers I picked up this year. Piney and different - it kind of describes winter and this season in general for me. It is certainly better than the niche frags I tried this year.

I'll take a bottle of this over some of the hyped stuff on BN.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Tried this today. Have to say I'm very impressed and will be investigating further.

Quite an enigma. It doesn't scream like a powerhouse but has killer longevity on me. A decent fragrance for sure and I'm still on the fence as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks for all the impressions!

Actually, I'm quite impressed with this. I sprayed this on a strip and threw it in the bag with my shoes that I bought at Nordstroms. This has filled up my bedroom all afternoon and night. Love the pine and spices in this. It reminds me of a more refined and upscale Banana Republic Classic. Quality juice to be certain and it projects and lasts like crazy! I can see owning this.

Hey, Scentologist! Thanks for bumping up this thread. You reminded me to pull out my sample of Bottega Veneta tonight. I agree, this one is quite nice.

Projects lol, the scent is incredibly weak, longevity is terrible.
    The scent smells like pine air freshner in cars.

Not surprised, the vast majority of Coty fragrances suck.

Lady tried to push this on me when I was checking out TdH Parfum. Her sales pitch was along the lines of how much of it she'd sold and how popular it was. When I jokingly said I didn't want to smell like everyone else she started talking up her sales expertise? knowledge of what was popular by going into how many thousands of dollars worth of certain scents she was selling...

Anyway, I held onto the test strip, and it wasn't what I expected. It did stand out from the crowd a bit, but wasn't really what I was looking for. Not piney enough.
    変なおじさん

I love pine in fragrances. I recently blind bought Swiss Army Forest, and it was a miss pretty much, top notes were nice.. but gone in 5 minutes.. dry down sucked. I am having trouble finding something that really does smell like a pine air freshener, and has an at least somewhat piney dry down too, especially while sticking to the designer market. Niche doesn't work for me and my budget.. too expensive. Ideally something like Itasca by Lubin, with a little more pine to it would be amazing to me.. I've still been waiting for Bottega to drop significantly in price, but haven't seen this happen yet.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    the scent is incredibly weak, longevity is terrible.
    Recvd a sample vial of this & agree on the longevity / projection being very weak...

Still going strong on my strip today. What can I say, it's presence is still solid. Very manly. Keeps drawing me in for a sniff. $110 is not bad for this and beats many more expensive ones IMO.

Longevity, weak? Wow! It's now 13 hours after I sprayed my arm with my sample and I can still smell it. No longevity issues here. That being said... something about this one doesn't work for me. It's a great scent and I adore it initially, but after a while, it starts to trigger a scent memory for me. I start selling paint fumes even though I don't think this smells like paint or paint fumes. So odd.

I sprayed it on at 10:30 last night.
    By 11, I was pricing out a bottle.
    By midnight: "...paint? Paint? Why do I keep thinking I'm smelling paint?" So very odd indeed.

As others have said, it's OK but nothing special, I like the direction it goes in but it seemed rather half-hearted I'm sure a more concentrated and focused version, which enhanced some of the dominant notes would make it a hit. It's different enough to warrant your attention amongst a lot of recent releases, but there are others that I'd personally rather spend on. If you like it though, go for it; you could do far worse too.....

I don't get paint. I'd rather wear this and oddly enough lasts longer on me than Opus VII

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I don't get paint. I'd rather wear this and oddly enough lasts longer on me than Opus VII
    I have no idea where the paint smell came from. I got it from the air around me, but not from smelling my wrist. Quite odd.

Nice coniferous notes but very, very weak on me. As mentioned above, an intense version would be worth pursuing.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

...just another leather scent and really nothing new or special...

Started out as a retro chypre distantly related to Halston Z-14, etc. Soon turned into a loud and persistent blast of one of the many pre-composed woody amber bases (not base notes) that appear in almost everything out there. Sure as hell didn't find it weak in any way. Stuff filled up my car in no time and stayed there a lot longer than I needed it to. Like most fragrances today, designer, niche, whatever: it's just more shallow, front-loaded, chemical perfumery.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd June 2014 at 09:19 AM.

A missed opportunity - the initial BV femme stuff had promise.

I think most mainstream 'pour homme' releases (which this is) generally flop into the tried and true "arresting opening followed by miles of screechy woody stuff" these days.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I like it very much -- lasts all day on me. Good VFM

I agree with Pluran and I suppose thats a good clear review of it. Where I disagree with Mr. Reasonable somewhat, is that I feel this is something more that the typical department store release, which has a plethora of watered down nothings. To me, this does has some power and complexity with all the leather, pine, and spice. Its roughly half of my fav Guerlain and a third of most Creeds. So, some would argue to save and get something else, but for this price point, its a decent fragrance. While I liked the fem version, it was just that, fem. I could have seen it going in the direction of chypre pallatin for the masculine per se, but feel their masculine offering is on point.

Everyone smells things differently of course, but with such a mixed lot of reviews, one does wonder how this became Basenotes Best Men's Fragrance of the Year for 2014.

Can everything else that was released last year have been so much less impressive ?

I suppose the cynical will answer yes, but still...

This is a lovely men's scent. The cirtus opening leads right to a medley of pine and fir notes underscored by a favorite note of mine--clary sage. The base is highlighted by a wonderful leather and the whole thing lightened by a crisp, medicinal and gin-like juniper. I do not get patchouli in the basenotes as much as I get a subtle--yet sexy-musk. If the creative brief is to be believed--a walk through the Dolomites--then this was brilliantly executed as it is all that while also paying homage to the house's legacy of fine leather goods. I can easily see wearing this on any occasion. It is totally office safe, good for formal and informal settings. Does it shout for attention and break new ground? No, but again, this is perfectly in line with the low key, quality profile of Bottega Veneta.

This is my SotD thanks to a very lovely good friend who, like me, does things on a very small budget but who is very observant about the sort of scents that I like and bought me a small but perfectly formed little mini of this as part of my recent birthday present.

I think that the problem with bringing out a men's scent was always going to be an issue for Bottega Veneta because the female version, despite its pink box, is so very close to being a unisex scent. On the 'lightning striking twice' scale anybody who was expecting them to pull off such a fabulous scent twice was pretty much guaranteed to be disappointed.

As for the scent, I find it very interesting. I generally detest pine scents (too many bad experiences with pine disinfectant as a child I think) but I do like the juxtaposition of the conifer with the leather but I am still only on the first proper wearing and that may change after a few wears.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ...But on my skin, it was awful—sickening, in fact. Juniper and I don't get along.
    I finally tried this on the skin and I found the top notes a "little unpleasant".
    I'm not sure what component affected me that way, but I felt a similar way when I tried wearing Krizia Uomo many years ago.
    Interestingly, Krizia Uomo also has Juniper in the top notes, so the plot thickens!

After the top notes burned off, the unpleasantness went away.
    The mid to base notes were quite OK.

nothing special, imo!
    Gimme Some Poetry....