Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Bottega veneta pour homme

Hi Guys. Have any of you tried Bottega Veneta Pour Homme? Any thoughts. Ideas?

Thank You,

F

Default Re: Bottega veneta pour homme

Its a nice scent but too weak and its not worth buying at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Having conveniently gotten the chance to have worn this quite a few times, after receiving samples during a recent purchase, it's a really great fragrance that stands out from the crowded releases, and part of my seasonal rotation.

A reviewer once said that "there's a musty, almost medicinal pine/fir note combined with a gorgeous, resinous, somewhat chocolatey labdanum", which I would agree with. I should add that the juniper also gives it that slight kick that has been found from the classics of its' kind.

As opposed to its' predecessors, this one is far from being a powerhouse that its' notes portend to. Tomas Maier called it; “devastatingly discreet.”, and I would have to agree.

Antoine Maisondieu is also a nose that has been on my radar as of late, that I look forward to whiffing what he has to offer in the future.

Would I get this FB? Yes. But only after having waited to see if they don't do an "intense" version as I have said multiple times. They went lighter with their female flanker Eau Legere, I hope they go the opposite direction for the men's offering. If they do, not only would it be FB worthy, but I would have to put it on the back-up list too!

If anyone can attest to its' similarities/differences to Agua Brava by Puig, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Arij; 26th November 2013 at 09:44 PM.

I've tried it but wasn't crazy about it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice and different smell but quite weak indeed.

I really like it, and if I could find a bottle, I'd purchase it. I've emailed the company, and apparently it's not avaliable in my country . Citrusy opening (bergamot) with some pine and subtle leather. Very upscale, and gentlemanly. Good longevity, but very little projection.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

It's atypical of modern designer releases. Very discreet and rather sophisticated. I don't get the leathery vibe. Definitely not a love at 1st sniff type of scents. I'm still on the fence...

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I've tried it but wasn't crazy about it.
    This is the same reaction I had when I sampled it.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of a vague watered down woody fragrance. Better than the average new release, but nothing to write home about, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I really like it, and if I could find a bottle, I'd purchase it. I've emailed the company, and apparently it's not avaliable in my country . Citrusy opening (bergamot) with some pine and subtle leather. Very upscale, and gentlemanly. Good longevity, but very little projection.
    Hey JiveHippo, Holt Renfrew does carry this. I liked it but not worth FB.

Post Thanks / Like

The below sum up my very brief testing of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    It's atypical of modern designer releases. Very discreet and rather sophisticated. I don't get the leathery vibe. Definitely not a love at 1st sniff type of scents. I'm still on the fence...
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Kind of a vague watered down woody fragrance. Better than the average new release, but nothing to write home about, IMO.
    - - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify, I really had high hopes for this one (unlike Gucci which I have no hope for anymore).
    The one for women was really good. I thought the men's one would at least follow suit.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by DNT View Post
    Hey JiveHippo, Holt Renfrew does carry this. I liked it but not worth FB.
    Thanks DNT. I'll have to investigate!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried this one last week. It sounded so interesting on paper, but when it came down it the juice smelt rather generic. I didn't get leather or noticeably rich resins, alas. Disappointing.

On paper, I thought it smelled okay—a little better/more interesting than the rest of the standard mall stuff. But on my skin, it was awful—sickening, in fact. Juniper and I don't get along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. Well this is interesting. A really mixed response. Arij, thank you very much for your lovely and informative response. I have tried it actually and I'm with you and Jivehippo on this one. I just wanted to throw it out and see what the men thought of it. I was thinking about maybe getting it for my partner. He came home with it sprayed on a mouilette and he seemed to like it. I was particularly interested in how it would wear.

What did I think? Well, you know, in a sea of fragrances in the department store this one made me linger, and go back and linger again. I thought that there was something really lovely about it, very elegant, masculine, bit retro. Restrained? perhaps.Thats not always bad. Very attractive. I thought that it really had something to it in comparison to other new releases in the same price range, (some of which are just cynical sugar water, instantly forgetable). I understand why some of you wouldn't beat a path to it, in terms of what I know about your style and preferences, but I can see this being very succesful.

Arij, I hear what you say about an intense. It's interesting that they have produced the Legere in the womens version. I think that the original is very light as it is. I wonder if they will go the other way too? That would be a great option.

I liked it, then was on the fence with it, then I think I like it again. My husband loves it. I found it to be pretty spicy and woody. Almost too much spice if I remember right. There is something 'diluted' about it at the same time... would like an intense version, even if it means more spice. The leather isn't too strong, I was kind of looking for it, it ain't no Fahrenheit for sure as far as leather goes..but I am glad about that as FT had an overdose of leather for me. And I hope an intense version wouldn't be adding sweetness to it, that would be such a bummer.
    Last edited by kalli; 27th November 2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

In my top 3 of 'designer' fragrance releases in 2013. Lovely drydown -- no 'leather' for me also though.

I will be getting a second bottle soon. No projection or longevity problems for me.

All for £50 and a cute bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda on the fence with this one. I enjoy the scent but I noticed the sample I got did have longevity issues...I'm having the same problem with Jo Malone cologne intense oud and bergamot. Most say that one isn't so intense either. I wanna pull the trigger but at those prices I might wait for an intense version...

^Jo Malone fragrances IMO are useless, save for a few.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I might have liked it were I able to detect it on my skin.

No just kidding, I liked this quite a bit in the store, got a sample (thank god), wore it for three days after which I decided that it was really just mediocre on me--not just the projection (which is truly weak sauce), but the scent itself, which was subdued and refined, yes, but also just unremarkable. I mean, if I am going to spend $$ on something, I would rather have 10 ml of something that really wows me rather than 50-100 ml of something that I know will end up at at the back of the rotation.

Actually based on a previous thread I just found Mr Bill Blass in tj maxx for $14, and I thought to myself, this is what I was hoping bottega veneta pour homme would have resembled.... old school with class... but alas, it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Very upscale, and gentlemanly.
    Definitely. That is precisely the feeling I got. I really enjoy it, but I don't think it's a 'me' scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yes! I don't get a leather vibe either. It's piney and absolutely retro - but intentionally retro, meaning that it smells like an interpretation of the past done in a modern style.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

I am a third of the way through my bottle of this stuff.
    It's not a powerhouse, but that's not my style. I am a habitual oversprayer - but tend to lean toward lighter stuff that doesn't offend anyone...so that's how I justify it. Bottega Veneta is one of only two newer designers I picked up this year. Piney and different - it kind of describes winter and this season in general for me. It is certainly better than the niche frags I tried this year.

I'll take a bottle of this over some of the hyped stuff on BN.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

Post Thanks / Like

Tried this today. Have to say I'm very impressed and will be investigating further.

Quite an enigma. It doesn't scream like a powerhouse but has killer longevity on me. A decent fragrance for sure and I'm still on the fence as well.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the impressions!