Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default YSL Noble Leather

Hi everyone. Has anyone tried this. Has there already been a thread? If so, my apologies.

I've tried this a couple of times now and I think that it deserves attention. It's a belter. It is a very luxurious leather. It is a powerhouse leather. Rich, very leathery, with woody accents and rich notes, maybe spiced fruit notes???? Kind of. I can't do much of a job describing it just now. I've only tried it in store twice, but it really made me take notice. It is very potent, very rich, opulent. It has a HUGE presence.

Do try if you like Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, if you like deep, opulent fragrances, or even just powerhouses in general.

Default Re: YSL Noble Leather

Need to make this part of my collection. Thanks for the description.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

a seller on ebay has it for $ 200..
    seller is based in Kuwait- Palmbeach

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    a seller on ebay has it for $ 200..
    seller is based in Kuwait- Palmbeach
    Tony, Thanks.

The seller is Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics. I have dealt with them several times, and they are a good company to work with. I just wish these were offered in the US before spending $200.00 on a YSL.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Problem is, cannot find in the US. Wish I could to give it a try. I hear wonderful things about it.
    I recently e-mailed Mohsen at Universal Perfumes and he replied that he will soon be getting it back in stock. He ran out of it rather quickly he said. Stated price is $189.99 (Tester)
    (853)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd started a thread about it a few months ago (its in the huddler archives):

I found it very very good.

Clearly an homage to Tuscan Leather but enhanced IMO. If TL was three dimensional, this is four dimensional and very refreshing.

I particularly like the dried fruit accord.

Originally Posted by Hedonist222 7/5/13 at 11:09am

Giving this a second full wearing today.

At first smell, it is very reminiscent of Tuscan Leather.

But a few moment later it's own identity emerges in full bloom.

A soft leather sweetened with a dried fruit accord and spiced with saffron.

In. Perfect. Proportion.

Because its dried fruit, it's not a fructose intense like fresh fruits.

And because it's a dried fruit accord, it's not fruity smelling either.

It you've ever had fresh dried fruits then you're aware of now it's fruity and sweet but not intensely fruity and richly sweet like fresh fruit.

A lot of you at this point are probably wondering if it's similar to the Serge Lutens dried fruit accord.

No it's different. Serge's accord is more of a compote. Stewed dried fruits where the fructose is escalated. Over here the fructose is muted.

The saffron accord smells solid. Like a concentrate of saffron.

There's a milk tea we prepare over here that is emphasized with saffron.

Some people add strands of saffron to the boiling tea or while it steeps.

I like to drop a few strands into a 20ml cup of boiling water then let it infuse for a few minutes. You end up with very concentrated saffron water. But because you add it to liters of tea it's not bitter.

The saffron in Noble Leather is like this. Robust and concentrated but perfectly balanced with the dried fruit accord.

Highly recommended if Tuscan Leather , Clive Christian C & Cuir Ottoman appeal to you.

from ysl.com

Noble Leather ~ The potent and deep scent of leather fervently states its case and whispers an elegant, raw and carnal sensuality. The ambery wood accord embraces languid vanilla and the earthy scents of patchouli before giving way to intermingling tanned leathers. Enhanced by a dash of bright saffron notes and softened by the candied sweetness of the dried fruit accord, this skin-deep fragrance leaves an unforgettable impression.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'd started a thread about it a few months ago
    Thanks for re-posting it Hedonist. I remember reading it in the summer but I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea about how to access it from the archives.
    (876)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'd started a thread about it a few months ago (its in the huddler archives):

I found it very very good.

Clearly an homage to Tuscan Leather but enhanced IMO. If TL was three dimensional, this is four dimensional and very refreshing.

I particularly like the dried fruit accord.

Ha! The very man. Thanks buddy. You seem to be enjoying it. That's great. You are right on the mark with this. I loved your comments. It has an interesting very rich dryness, hasn't it? Yes, as I said, I have only tried it a couple of times in store but it really did make me take notice. I see that we seem to be singing the same tune on this one.

Hednic, it's one of a trio, the other two being Majestic Rose and Supreme Bouquet. They are all good but the Leather is the stand out in my view.

PalmBeach, clearly this is YSL's response to high end collections, and high end markets. It's called the Oriental Collection. In terms of style and heft it sits alongside the TF Private Collection and Armani Prive, rather than the Dior or Chanel high end lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hednic, it's one of a trio, the other two being Majestic Rose and Supreme Bouquet. They are all good but the Leather is the stand out in my view.
    Thanks. Makes me want to get it even more!
    (886)

Post Thanks / Like

If one has never owned Tuscan Leather, this is a venue to explore because it is not a boring carbon copy of it.
    The addition of the the fruit note and a slightly more supple (you're probably thinking can it get more supple than TL) leather actually give it the upper hand between the two.

But if you already owned and drained a liter (ahem ahem) of TL, Noble Leather may feel redundant in your collection.

Ha! The very man. Thanks buddy. You seem to be enjoying it. That's great. You are right on the mark with this. I loved your comments. It has an interesting very rich dryness, hasn't it? Yes, as I said, I have only tried it a couple of times in store but it really did make me take notice. I see that we seem to be singing the same tune on this one.

PalmBeach, clearly this is YSL's response to high end collections, and high end markets. It's called the Oriental Collection. In terms of style and heft it sits alongside the TF Private Collection and Armani Prive, rather than the Dior or Chanel high end lines.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh this sounds fantastic.

Why the hell is YSL not releasing this in the States?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Don't think the line has done well in the UK as they appear to be discounted.
    Compared to the cool bottles from the YSL Homme range I think the design is a bit flat. Especially considering they are aimed at the luxury Arabic market.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

YSL's Noble Leather is nothing short of a masterpiece in perfumery. Aside from the marketing failures of YSL that are inevitable since the rebranding of Saint Laurent this is one of the best leather fragrances you will ever come across. It therefore is firmly planted close behind the 'god Leather' which is Tuscan Leather (TOMFORD Private Blends) in my rankings.

SCENT PROFILE:
    YSL did nothing to hide the notes and it would have been fool hardy because you can smell every single one of them prominently all across the life of this fragrance.
    Noble Leather starts of with a Oudish supple leather, Patchouli and Leather are front and centre of the composition. At this point it is redolent of CC "C" in a vivid way.
    Then as the fragrance settles into your skin the fibre of its heart begins to show. A juicy dried fruits accord, reminiscent of the intense fruity accords of Frapin & Co.'s "1270". Perfectly blended with vanilla these accords serve as a prefect counter balance to the dark bitterness of the Patchouli x Leather accords, while keeping the fragrance well in the realm of a supple, rich, dense composition.
    At this point in the scent life, the leather and patchouli are humming at vibrations slightly less than the Fruit, Vanilla and Saffron accords.
    Therefore rather than a primal, refined, disciplined and structured leather like we find in TOMFORD's ultra sophisticated Tuscan Leather (suit and tie/luXury leather ware) we have a supple rich opulent leather (think Oriental Royalty).
    Noble Leather is both animalic and delicious, primal and opluent, dirty and lush. It is a very original composition and not the usual leather that has already been well done and conquered by the usual suspects ( "C", TL, Ottoman, Puredistance, XJ Homme etc.)

SCENT PICTURE:
    A slightly over weight Arabian Sultan wearing an Oud fragrance drinking the finest aged red wine and eating an assortments of delectable fruits from a gold platter, laying in supple rugs, hides, furs and plush rich leather sofas in the warmth of the Middle East.

PERFORMANCE:
    Lasts all day/all night, projecting far and wide. Not for the faint of heart, definitely an attention getter! Will linger on clothes, this one is a long term commitment,

YOU WILL LIKE IF YOU LIKE ...
    Jubilation XXV, Tuscan Leather, CC "C", Frapin "1270", ARMANI/PRIVÉ Cuir Noir

YOU WILL NOT LIKE IF YOU DON'T LIKE ...
    Leather.
    Rich, dense, unusual and unique fragrances.
    Oud/Oudh/Aoud/Agarwood

OVERALL RATING:
    It smells fantastic! Absolutely divine fragrance that's easy to love by observers. This one is definitely a must-sniff for lovers of dense, rich, compleX and unique fragrances. A must-have for lovers of leather!
    MASTERPIECE, 5 Stars, *****, 10/10.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved it!
    Most definetly in my top 5 of future economical pitholes !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lottalotta View Post
    I loved it!
    Most definetly in my top 5 of future economical pitholes !
    Ha Ha! I think that I might be keeping you company down that pit.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

- - - Updated - - -

Ha Ha! I think that I might be keeping you company down that pit.
    Are you suggesting a split? LOL