Code of Conduct

Question Is Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum too 'grown up' for my 26 yrold girlfriend?

Hi all!
    My first post so please be gentle

I usually buy my girlfriend a new perfume each Christmas along with a number of other small gifts... This year I ordered a small (30ml) bottle of Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum after reading some stellar reviews online... Bit of a gamble, as I've never smelt it before and have no idea what the 'target age' is for this fragrance...

Have I made a mistake?

If it's more about personality than age, I guess I would describe her as youthful, classy, fun-loving/lively, yet down-to-earth... Last year I bought her Miss Dior Eua De Parfum, which she really likes.

Any help (or better suggestions) very much appreciated
    Last edited by allyc1057; 26th November 2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling...

Default Re: Is Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum too 'grown up' for my 26 yrold girlfriend?

Don't worry Shalimar is a masterpiece and I am sure she will love it.
    Forget about target age thats just marketing.

Default Re: Is Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum too 'grown up' for my 26 yrold girlfriend?

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Don't worry Shalimar is a masterpiece and I am sure she will love it.
    Forget about target age thats just marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by allyc1057 View Post

Have I made a mistake?

If it's more about personality than age, I guess I would describe her as youthful, classy, fun-loving/lively, yet down-to-earth...
    My younger daughter is around that age, fits that personality profile and she wears it and enjoys it. Your choice was fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome!

One can never guess for sure what another person is going to like. That said, Shalimar is excellent, a smooth oriental vanilla with some citrus that works well for most occasions.

cacio

Should be fine. I'm sure many girlfriends of any age would love to have such a thing under their decorated pine tree.

It's also different enough from Miss Dior, for those two to compliment each other in a rotation. That would be the most important thing when buying a series of fragrances as gifts. You may want to gift her fragrances over time, which develops her wardrobe into one you both could enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by allyc1057 View Post
    Hi all!
    My first post so please be gentle

I usually buy my girlfriend a new perfume each Christmas along with a number of other small gifts... This year I ordered a small (30ml) bottle of Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum after reading some stellar reviews online... Bit of a gamble, as I've never smelt it before and have no idea what the 'target age' is for this fragrance...

Have I made a mistake?

If it's more about personality than age, I guess I would describe her as youthful, classy, fun-loving/lively, yet down-to-earth... Last year I bought her Miss Dior Eua De Parfum, which she really likes.

Any help (or better suggestions) very much appreciated
    To my mind, Shalimar is about seduction & passion, a seductress, when Jicky is a free spirit, Mitsouko an enigmatic & unreachable girl, Heure Bleue a romantic loner

To me, offering Shalimar is an act of passion, therefore I think you are right

No, but her mother/grandmother probably wore it.

Way to go, OP! I hope she loves it.

I think I am in the minority on basenotes since everyone here loves to have people smell like old people, but I don't think Shalimar would be good for a young woman. I tried to get my mom to wear it, and she said it smells too old for her....and she's 54.

Try like Alien or Hypnotic Poison.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Angry Re: Is Guerlain Shalimar Eau de Parfum too 'grown up' for my 26 yrold girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I think I am in the minority on basenotes since everyone here loves to have people smell like old people, but I don't think Shalimar would be good for a young woman. I tried to get my mom to wear it, and she said it smells too old for her....and she's 54.

Try like Alien or Hypnotic Poison.

Thank you for your insightful (and well written) post! I knew there was something happening in Basenotes that bothered me! Now I know, the conspiracy to "have people smell like old people!" What's next, "having them" smell like dead people? (and since your grammar is so poor, please do detect sarcasm.)

Blog Entries

Shalimar is extremely classy and beautiful, and I think it can be deadly gorgeous on a young woman who lives up to it. It is timeless - great stuff!!!

I agree with Arij - this one complements what she already has - it expands her wardrobe.

In the long run, she may like it, but not feel comfortable wearing it on a daily basis. Thus, I would recommend that you also consider (as a future buy) Shalimar Parfum Initial. It's much more "Miss Dior", in my opinion. It was specifically designed for a younger, more modern feel. It's also a great fragrance, but it is not the same.

I would stick with Shalimar for now - that is different from her Miss Dior, but she needs to own it!

http://www.guerlain.com/int/en-int/f...um-bottle.html

http://www.guerlain.com/int/en-int/f...fum-spray.html

Blog Entries

God damn I love Shalimar. Hands down one of the best fragrances ever made.
    With that said, my first reaction to it was not positive.
    It smelled like old grandmas and second hand stores.

It took me a few months but this is now a scent I cannot live without.

Also, Redneck is right. Check out his recommendation. It's more youthful and more of a crowd pleaser (a crowd that is not made up of perfume fanatics). Good luck!
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    God damn I love Shalimar. Hands down one of the best fragrances ever made.
    I was in Sephora when I finally "got" Shalimar. I was sniffing it on a test strip, and my nose was clear and my brain was connected, and the store wasn't too crowded, so I could close my eyes and not feel like a complete idiot or show-off. And I just got it. It was like - OMG - the woman who wears this is a goddess - she has beauty, brains, and no amount of jewelry or fine clothing is good enough to match her. But I could picture her in my mind, and I was like - "Ma'am - do you need a servant of some kind?" More seriously, it just struck me as something which could never, ever, go out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Also, Redneck is right. Check out his recommendation. It's more youthful and more of a crowd pleaser (a crowd that is not made up of perfume fanatics). Good luck!
    LOL! Yeah - Parfum Initial isn't gonna push Shalimar out of the throne around here any time soon. But I have to say, the positive reaction of so many hardcore Guerlainistas, that it was "not bad", and the way a lot of guys like me fell really hard for it, gave me real hope for Thierry Wasser to keep Guerlain relevant in the first part of this century.

In my opinion, definitely yes, especially if she likes classic fragrances.

Thank you all very much for your welcome and your extremely helpful responses. It appears there is nowhere in Belfast that stocks Shalimar EdP testers, however I have found somewhere that has a Shalimar Parfum Initial EdP, so I'm going to check this out on Monday. It might be a slightly safer option, maybe ease her into the classic fragrences gently

I'll reply in a few weeks and let you know how it goes down!

Thanks again,
    Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    Thank you for your insightful (and well written) post! I knew there was something happening in Basenotes that bothered me! Now I know, the conspiracy to "have people smell like old people!" What's next, "having them" smell like dead people? (and since your grammar is so poor, please do detect sarcasm.)
    The funny part is I have an English degree. I guess I don't expect to be edited on my days off.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Hey, let's keep the bickering to a minimum and the topic at hand to a maximum!

Shalimar might be a bit of an acquired taste, and it pushes against more contemporary stuff, but she'd be wearing a scent that had a huge impact on modern perfumery. So perhaps thinking about whether or not she's the kind of person who swims against the mainstream current with such things? Shalimar, in this sense, has citational aspect to it.

Blog Entries

^ Can't beat a cultural reference like that!

I think this brings up an excellent point. Fragrances do have a time and a place - at least for many of us who still cling to those ideas of wearing fragrances like clothes. I want my sports fragrances for sports and hot weather - my comfort frags for evenings at home - my work fragrances for the office - and my formal fragrances for going out. I have my weird fragrances for when I'm thinking and writing, and my Mr. Manly frags for working in the yard and garage. As a woman, I would want Shalimar in my wardrobe, but probably more for special occasions, because that's how I would like to wear it.

There are endless perfumes but the genius of Jacques Guerlain is that Shalimar is a story of human sensuality told using molecules and its stage is warm skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    There are endless perfumes but the genius of Jacques Guerlain is that Shalimar is a story of human sensuality told using molecules and its stage is warm skin.
    Beautifully written. Makes me want to try my Shalmar again and compare to new love, Caron's Bellodgia.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Honestly it might be a stretch..
    as mentioned before it is not for everyone

Hi there
    My first post as well. And just because of the Shalimar. Everything in my life is always about a Shalimar.

I heard that formula has changed during last year. Is it true?. I didn't had chance to see it as have had quite a few bottles from 2010 EAU Parfum. Never bought EDT. But ppl say it HAS changed( and looks and smell very poor if to compare with 2010. The iuice looks pale so far I saw on amazon and in shops..
    Can anyone to clarify what have happened apart of "lovely" iFRA regulations and ban on Birch tar oil?..
    Last edited by Lyuba; 16th December 2013 at 11:03 AM.

I don't think Shalimar is "too grown up" in any strict sense. It's a beautiful fragrance, probably the most beautiful I have encountered thus far. I fell head-over-heels for it, and I am a 21-year-old woman! I ordered a vintage bottle circa 1980s yesterday and cannot wait for it to come in the mail--I'm sure your girlfriend will appreciate your fine taste as well.