Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Teen frags and questions (Longer post)

I'm 16, and in a weird situation. I go to college full time, and have a class in highschool due to a program where my college is free, and early.
    I'm looking at a lot of niche sampler/discovery sets since I don't have any bills, and since most designers don't have discovery sets. I've ordered from the perfumed court to test some designer and niche frags, but it seems cheaper to buy from the actual company, rather than TPC when I can. I am hoping for some direction since I am pretty new to the fragrance community. Where I live, it is already below freezing outside, but then I have lectures/ classroom, so I can't go too extreme for thought of offending people.
    I've been looking around at some houses that do discovery/sample sets, and of course lucky scent, perfumevials, etc.
    I'm mainly interested in sampling niches, since I also don't have an endless budget.

I realize that some of the houses below may not be for me, that's why I'm curious. I'm looking to start collecting, but starting with "age appropriate" samples.

Thank you, and I look forward to being a member of the forum!

Houses with discovery sets/samples for sale online I've found and am interested in:
    Amouage
    Le Labo
    Kilian
    Olfactive Studio
    Carner Barcelona
    Heely
    Kerosene
    Mona Di Orio
    Bond
    Creed
    Kerosene
    Hermessence
    Diptyque
    Tauer
    L'artisan
    Xerjoff

Default Re: Teen frags and questions (Longer post)

Welcome!

The age appropriateness of these brands refers to the cost. (and some of these houses aren't worth the money even when one can afford them - but each person has his favorites and his dislikes). Many of these brands should be off limits at your stage. The reason is also that you shouldn't rush into buying something very expensive before your tastes have settled and you have experience. Something that may smell great at the beginning of your journey may turn out to be not as good when you smell other things.

I think you could focus on brands that offer 50ml bottles for about $90, which is more or less the entry point for niche. These include Diptyque, Artisan parfumeur, and my very own favorite Etat Libre d'orange (they also have a sampling set with all of their perfumes, some of which are really excellent). CDG also is around these prices (though I don't know if they have a sampling program), CDG2 man being probably their best known. Lutens would probably the most famous niche house, though again I don't think they have a sampling program.

You should also try to make the most of trips to big cities and places that carry these brands. For instance, Creed and Bond are quite ubiquitous in the States, so much that one wonders whether they ought to be called niche.

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Also Atelier has a nice range of not in your face but quality frag's..
    Amouage imo is a time waster of the 2 I have tried..
    I agree with Caico that CDG and maybe L'Artisan are the best bang for the buck niche low-medium houses

Welcome!

Any of the ones below that offer what you are looking for would be excellent choices IMO:

Kilian
    Olfactive Studio
    Heeley
    Mona Di Orio
    Creed
    Hermessence
    Diptyque
    Tauer
    L'Artisan

(845)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

From your list of discovery sets available, I would certainly look into getting the sets from:

by Kilian
    Heeley
    Bond No. 9
    Creed
    Hermes Hermessence
    Diptyque
    Kerosene

I also like Amouage, but not sure if you would like those based on your age. But worth looking into if you are more daring / adventurous.

I also agree with Tony about Atelier - if they have a discovery set, that would be a good one too.

Basenotes Member

Thank you very much! I wish I could check out a lot of the boutiques like creed, bond, guerlain, etc. but I live in the middle of nowhere (Mn) with only sephora and macy's ~200 miles away. I realized that most houses were not best for me yet, but was curious. Would you suggest Guerlain homme,play intnse, or bergamote 22 for someone my age? I am definitely going to check out ELdO for the variety, and get a better sense of what I like.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Also some of the U.S. stuff
    Imaginary Author's
    PKiler
    Slumberhouse

Not a personal fan of play, but in any case, since these can be found easily, you should try what you see in Macy's and Sephora and the like (and you should also peek in the women section, many things are good for men as well). Bergamote seems one of the least interesting Le Labo, if you want something from the (expensive) house, you should rather look into the more distinctive ones (Patchouli and Oud are quite unique, for the others, taste vary, I also like Iris, others love Rose and Vetiver).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by nurc View Post
    Would you suggest Guerlain homme,play intnse, or bergamote 22 for someone my age? I am definitely going to check out ELdO for the variety, and get a better sense of what I like.
    Absolutely. Moreover, ELdO has some very novel offerings too.
    (849)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hey i'm highschool as well and have some experience with fragrances so ill give you some advice. It sounds like you got some money on your hands and want to dress and smell the part. If you want to smell classy without having the slightest worry of offending people try Dior Homme Sport. I would recommend Dior Homme (which smells even classier and puts a lot of the niche brands to shame since its half the price) but its a little too unique for somebody new to the game. Dior Homme Sport is just a different more mainstream take on Dior Homme but still smells just as good (and still really classy) imo and at around $65 with free shipping if you use a coupon on Fragrancenet, you can't go wrong. Its a fresh citrusy scent which is what you want if you don't want to offend anybody. Just in case you have doubts about the quality of the product, Dior is arguably the best and definetly one of the more expensive designer brand on the market with a long, successful history.
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Armani code is good consideration...your are sixteen and ahead of the game already by obtaining this niche discovery sets your nose will expand its olfactory banks....enjoy
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I recommend Gucci Pour Homme II.