Code of Conduct

Default Expert opinions needed.... I have general ideas

A few years ago, I discovered Burberry London for Men. It's absolutely delicious... musky, woodsy, sweet and spicy...it has all of the elements that I'm looking for. I love the tobacco/wine/leather mix. Two problems that I have with it are that it may not last as long as I'd like and it doesn't feel like a year round scent. Maybe a little too winter time for me as I'm always in very hot climates. I'm usually in south Florida or the Nevada desert.

So a few years back, I picked up Royall Muske at Brookes Brothers, a warmer climate type of scent. I really like the spicy musky feel at the beginning, but towards the end it turns slightly baby powdery. Also, it feels like something that an older gentlemen would wear. I'm a 26 year old baby face and I need something more my age.

I would really like to find some sort of cross between the two that's a good year round scent. Something closer to the Burberry London that's not as Christmassy and lasts a little longer.

EDIT:
    I guess I'm looking for something with slightly more pronounced spices. Something that's a little fresher if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Jon_; 27th November 2013 at 06:55 AM.

Default Re: Expert opinions needed.... I have general ideas

Welcome to you! No expert here. I am a big.Burberry London fan like yourself. I personally don't have the two problems you mention that you experience but I have read that other Basenoters here do. I was searching around for a scent that has the wine, leather, and tobacco mix and that is fresh and came up with Sacre Coeur Ego Facto for men. I have no personal experience with this fragrance and it might not even be close to what you're looking for as it doesn't strike me as being musky and woody, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. I'm sure others will give you better options for a similar feel. For me, London is pretty unique and would never want to be without it. Good luck!
    (878)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for the reply Hednic! I'll do some research.

Excuse have you tried Terre De Hermes EDP , that might be by your alley...Peace
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Gucci Pour Homme I. You can still find it on amazon and Ebay.

John Varvatos Vintage may be an option. You could also try L'Anarchiste by Caron, which is one of my favorites and works well year round. You can get either for about $40 at the online discounters.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Courvoisier is an excellent alternative as well as Pure Malt

Basenotes Junkie

Maybe try CK One Shock.

You could sample Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've taken a quick look online of each and there are four that have shot to the top of my list to try and sample.

They are:
    L'Anarchiste by Caron (2000)
    Gucci pour Homme (2003)
    Vintage John Varvatos (2006)
    Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf (2012)

They all seem to be very well received. More suggestions are welcomed! Thanks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you! No expert here. I am a big.Burberry London fan like yourself. I personally don't have the two problems you mention that you experience but I have read that other Basenoters here do. I was searching around for a scent that has the wine, leather, and tobacco mix and that is fresh and came up with Sacre Coeur Ego Facto for men. I have no personal experience with this fragrance and it might not even be close to what you're looking for as it doesn't strike me as being musky and woody, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. I'm sure others will give you better options for a similar feel. For me, London is pretty unique and would never want to be without it. Good luck!
    (878)
    I think this may be the longest comment from you I've ever seen! NIce!

Anyway, for something more suited to warmer weather that is still kind of spicy, check out GPH II or spicebomb. They don't really do anything for me personally (well, I've only tried Spicebomb and thought it was okay), but I hear they do well all year long.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Vince Camuto for Men is a personal favorite of mine - worth a look.

Also sounds like a nice mix. Will try a sample when I find it.

Has anyone here tried Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford or Eau des Baux by L'Occitane? Any opinions?
    Last edited by Jon_; 28th November 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_ View Post

Has anyone here tried Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford or Eau des Baux by L'Occitane? Any opinions?
    I have tried the former on a few occasions and own the latter. Love the L'Occitane. Has just the right amount of sweetness and spiciness and at a wonderful price point. Too bad about the talk of its discontinuation.
    (914)
    Last edited by hednic; 28th November 2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have tried the former on a few occasions and own the latter. Love the L'Occitane. Has just the right amount of sweetness and spiciness and at a wonderful price point. Too bad about the talk of its discontinuation.
    (914)
    It's not discontinued. I was just in there a few days ago and I saw it on the shelf. I did not try it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_ View Post
    It's not discontinued. I was just in there a few days ago and I saw it on the shelf. I did not try it on.
    Have no idea if it's true or not. It was just mentioned by someone on another thread. If you have the chance, check it out the next time you can. Great stuff!
    (917)

Thanks so much for the contributions everybody! In a week or so I'm going to try some of them out. I'll report back.

Just thought that I'd do a small update.

I tried on the Tom Ford Vanille Tobacco... Made me want to crawl out of my skin. I took a shower as soon as I could. I smelled like vanilla in a cloying way. It was not good.

The Eau Des Baux was alright, but not for me. I think I've heard people on here use the adjective gourmand to describe it and that sounds about right.

I didn't try it on but I smelled the John Varvatos Vintage. It didn't interest me. There was another John Varvatos cologne that I really liked. It didn't have another name on it so I guess it was just called John Varvatos. That may be the closest to what I'm looking for. I sprayed some on me in the store and walked around. Good stuff. The one bad thing about the JV is the lasting power. I'm not sure if it will prove to be an existing problem, but I might have had like 3 hours out of it.

Still want to try the Spicebomb and Vince Camuto.
    Last edited by Jon_; 9th December 2013 at 09:19 AM.