Code of Conduct

Thread: Bread Note

Default Bread Note

I almost think I've asked for this before, but it was some time ago and lost in the Huddler site, so please indulge me again.

The other day I was enjoying freshly baked herbed foccacia bread. Breathing in the wonderful scent, I thought it would be great as an accord. So, does it exist? And if so, in what fumes? If you were looking it up as a note, what would it be called (can't find it as a note in places I know to look such things up)

Help a girl out please.

Default Re: Bread Note

Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

L'Artisan Bois Farine​ also.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau
    Couldn't remember the name! Yes, this one has often been cited for having the "bread note".
    (895)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hednic, do you think Nocturne Amour has that note? I noticed in the thread about it that such an idea was brought up. Wondered whether you agree.

Yep. Jeux de Peux is the one, although it's somewhat almond-cookie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Hednic, do you think Nocturne Amour has that note? I noticed in the thread about it that such an idea was brought up. Wondered whether you agree.
    Sorry, no hednic, here, but I'm growing quite fond of Amour Nocturne !

IMHO no bread, more caramel, milk and warm skin... that smells a bit like bread, actually!, but not crusty and slightly burnt as in Jeux de Peau, though.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

This has just recently been added to my collection, so it's still very new for me. I just sprayed this on the back of my hand and am smelling it now. It does have a cakey bread smell, but not the "herb focaccia" smell you alluded to. I'd say it's more of a sweet sugary bread smell if that makes any sense at all.
    (898)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    L'Artisan Bois Farine​ also.
    +1-- much more fun than the Lutens also

Iris often has a distinct bread note. Lutens Iris silver mist, at least in its current incarnation, plays this note well. J'aime les carottes is similar (but as the name suggest veering towards carrot cake rather than herbal focaccia). In a different vein, Womanity smells to me exactly like focaccia with ripe figs, something that we eat in Italy (but probably only there). And then there's the weird, sadly discontinued (and superexpensive on ebay) Feu d'Issey, tarte au citron, bread, vitamins, and what else.

If you want to stress the herbs on the focaccia, you could check some of the herbal salty scents, in particular Diptyque Virgilio (with a big thyme note).

I love jeux de peau, but to me it's buttered brioche with caramel, not salty focaccia.

cacio

Banned
    Blog Entries

Blue Sugar is sorta close..
    More of a sweet sugary smell than bread though

+1 for Jeux de Peau.

+1 for Jeux de Peau. Fresh cooked cinnamon rolls.

The interesting novelty 'Eau de Toast' has a malty, yeasty, slightly overdone toast direction from memory - it was produced as a giveaway in order to promote toast eating here and the Directory entry is also hiding in Huddler-space!
    http://www.aromaco.co.uk/mp/toast-aroma-sample-request/

Splash Bottles Suck

I think Frederic Malle's En Passant also has a bread note. It has been years since I've smelled it, but I remember it smelling like a bakery with a fresh lilac bush out front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are some wonderful sounding suggestions! Thanks for making them and feel free to keep them coming!

Blog Entries

I smelled something called "Bread 'n' Roses" once, that was astonishingly good. The rose was an expensive absolute - the kind that is so beautiful, it's almost like a red wine. It was paired with a common bread that smelled bakery fresh with hints of nutella. It was a fabulous art composition by Pascal Gaurin - just a demo to wow the beauty press. I can't believe that somebody really classy hasn't snarfed up the formula for a new classic.

Fragrantica has a nice recap of it: http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Pasc...oses-2196.html

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I smelled something called "Bread 'n' Roses" once, that was astonishingly good. The rose was an expensive absolute - the kind that is so beautiful, it's almost like a red wine. It was paired with a common bread that smelled bakery fresh with hints of nutella. It was a fabulous art composition by Pascal Gaurin - just a demo to wow the beauty press. I can't believe that somebody really classy hasn't snarfed up the formula for a new classic.

Fragrantica has a nice recap of it: http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Pasc...oses-2196.html
    That sounds amazing. I wonder how you would find such a scent had it been made?

Blog Entries

That sounds amazing. I wonder how you would find such a scent had it been made?
    My recommendation would be to search on nstperfume.com and mimifroufrou.com for the notes and then look for something in the last few years. They might say that it was done by IFF and not give the perfumer name, or maybe they do give it. That would be my guess how it might sneak out. Rose scent with a bread note.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Iris often has a distinct bread note. Lutens Iris silver mist, at least in its current incarnation, plays this note well. J'aime les carottes is similar (but as the name suggest veering towards carrot cake rather than herbal focaccia). In a different vein, Womanity smells to me exactly like focaccia with ripe figs, something that we eat in Italy (but probably only there). And then there's the weird, sadly discontinued (and superexpensive on ebay) Feu d'Issey, tarte au citron, bread, vitamins, and what else.

If you want to stress the herbs on the focaccia, you could check some of the herbal salty scents, in particular Diptyque Virgilio (with a big thyme note).

I love jeux de peau, but to me it's buttered brioche with caramel, not salty focaccia.

cacio
    ^^^ This is word-for-word what I had to say. Thank you Cacio!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My recommendation would be to search on nstperfume.com and mimifroufrou.com for the notes and then look for something in the last few years. They might say that it was done by IFF and not give the perfumer name, or maybe they do give it. That would be my guess how it might sneak out. Rose scent with a bread note.
    Must not be out in the marketplace, or I'm no good at searching. But thanks for the kind suggestions Redneck!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't really sampled much by way of Iris, perhaps I need to explore that note.

Blog Entries

Must not be out in the marketplace, or I'm no good at searching. But thanks for the kind suggestions Redneck!

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't really sampled much by way of Iris, perhaps I need to explore that note.
    You're welcome! It will have a completely different name when it shows up somewhere, and with some changes, no doubt. But just look for a rose-prominent scent with strong bread notes that either came out in the last couple of years (I have not heard of any), or a new one in the next few years.

Several of the art scents from that event already showed up in altered forms on store shelves - all to good effect, IMO. Basically, the perfumers were playing with ideas, and (like in programming) good ideas never get thrown away. What dies in development in one form will likely get re-used in another, when its real time comes.

cacio
    Luca Turin makes a case where the iris plus the other notes suggest a Fig Newton, but I have yet to detect this.

You're welcome! It will have a completely different name when it shows up somewhere, and with some changes, no doubt. But just look for a rose-prominent scent with strong bread notes that either came out in the last couple of years (I have not heard of any), or a new one in the next few years.

Several of the art scents from that event already showed up in altered forms on store shelves - all to good effect, IMO. Basically, the perfumers were playing with ideas, and (like in programming) good ideas never get thrown away. What dies in development in one form will likely get re-used in another, when its real time comes.
    Is there a name of a bread note that is technically used. I haven't been able to find one on Fragrantica which is the only place I know where you can search by notes.

Blog Entries

Is there a name of a bread note that is technically used. I haven't been able to find one on Fragrantica which is the only place I know where you can search by notes.
    It's a subtype of gourmand, but people tend to get specific to the degree and type of cooking. Bread, pastry, toast, flour - I've seen 'em all. But Breads 'n' Roses was straight bread, so I'd go with that. If they change it, it's something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horns:

which perfume is LT referring to when he says iris + stuff = fig newton?

cacio

Horns:

which perfume is LT referring to when he says iris + stuff = fig newton?

cacio
    Parfumerie Generale Iris Oriental.

Blog Entries

I think Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau is extremely sweet and dessert-like, which to me is not bread. L'Artisan Bois Farine​ gets my vote.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I think Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau is extremely sweet and dessert-like, which to me is not bread. L'Artisan Bois Farine​ gets my vote.
    Agreed! I've heard it likened to buttered oven-toast, and if my memory serves, there has to be some sugar and spice in there somewhere, too.

Gotta try iris oriental then.

Indeed, Jeux de Peau has immortelle, which is sweet-spicy. The buttered croissant part is primarily in the top.

cacio

Thanks to all who contributed. I have Bois Farine and Amour Nocturne heading my way and I own a sample of Jeax de Peau already so I shall have a wee Breaded sniffest shortly.

- - - Updated - - -

by the way Redneck, I came up blank on the Bread & Roses so I guess it didn't go into production. So sad as it sounds wonderful!