Code of Conduct

Default If you had 200-300 bucks to blow on a discontinued Fragrance, which would you buy?

Base your answers on scent, longevity, and sillage....and of course uniqueness....

Please no Tom Ford's Absolute Amber....Let's try to make it unique and unheard of scents like Jill Sanders Absolute...Or Patou Pour Homme...

thanks guys !

and as a caveat....Would you wear the scent or just buy it as a collector's item?

Default Re: If you had 200-300 bucks to blow on a discontinued Fragrance, which would you buy?

Vintage Polo, pre-reformulation, original calvin, and Halston Amber Man.....300 bucks would get me a bunch, rather than dumping it all on one bottle. I would also wear it, as to me it only has value as a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: If you had 200-300 bucks to blow on a discontinued Fragrance, which would you buy?

Either vintage Chypre De Coty or Patou Pour Homme Prive, and I'd wear the hell out of both.

Basenotes Plus

From Amouage: Jubilation XXV, Epic Man, Interlude Man, Interlude Woman.
    All within your budget, all in current circulation, all pretty unique, and definitely long lasting. Some perhaps too long (Interlude Man).

From Tom Ford: Moss Breches. It's been discontinued so it's harder to find, but it is within your budget. Very unique and excellent longevity and sillage. Also, Tuscan Leather, another favorite of mine. Maybe less unique (Clive Christian C is pretty similar?) but to me it's a very nice fragrance, and works exceptionally well if you dress the part (office attire or better, does not work terribly well with shorts). Lasts all day.

From Chanel: Vintage bottle of Egoiste Cologne Concentree. May be difficult in your price range to find anything above 50ml, but if you can find it - it is glorious. My SOTD.

From Dior: Leather Oud. Get your stink on.

From Hermes: Vintage bottle of Bel Ami. Kicks Purdistance M's shiny new ass, and is well within your budget, just perhaps more work to find a bottle at this point.

I have all of the above, and wear them all regularly, so these are not just collection pieces.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I would blind buy Maxim PH

Basenotes Plus

If anyone can find me Patou Pour Homme Prive for $300 then let me know, and hell yes I'd wear it. Why would anyone buy a classic frag and not wear it?
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Dior Vetiver and wear it like I had 30 days left to live.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Junkie

M7 by YSL

A bottle of Japon Noir by TF
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Vintage Tabarome all the way, and if some spare cash is still available, discontinued designer masterpieces like Joint by Roccobarocco or Spazio Krizia.

If you go for vintages, then more than a few from the belowcan be bought 4 arou nd 300...

#1 will be - Hermes Bel Ami (I just shelled 230 for a brand new vintage bottl, amazing juice, one of the best leathers)
    Polo green
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Worth pour Homme haute Concentration
    Trussardi Uomo
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Quorum and Kouros
    M7
    Chanel PM Concentree
    Guerlain Mouchior de Monsieur, Derby
    Ho hang club by balenciaga

Almost all of the above in current formulation if available really suck; all these are rich, 80's, a bit brash, but one single ingredient mainly separates these and puts them on a higher pedestal - OAKMOSS...

- - - Updated - - -

TF's Moss Breches also, if you can get your hands on it...If you do find any, I'll gladly but 1 off u....

I would purchase two 3.4 oz bottles of GPH I. Would wear this a lot in the fall and winter.

I would buy a back up bottle of Eau de Fier by Annick Goutal or another back up bottle of Gengis Khan vintage.
    (899)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Guerlain Derby

Almost all of the above in current formulation if available really suck
    Dare I say, the current formulation of Derby is... better... than the vintage? Or at least, it's more wearable, while retaining all the awesome Derby classic values.

TF's Moss Breches also, if you can get your hands on it...If you do find any, I'll gladly but 1 off u....
    Sorry, I'm keeping my bottle all to myself!! (along with Bois Marocain, another discontinued gem)

Tom Ford Bois Marocian is a great one.

+1 Polo
    +1 GPH I

Hai Karate
    I would also like to get a back-up bottle of Creed Royal Scottish Lavender.

For me : Eau des Baux or M7 (Vintage)

If you go for vintages, then more than a few from the belowcan be bought 4 arou nd 300...

#1 will be - Hermes Bel Ami (I just shelled 230 for a brand new vintage bottl, amazing juice, one of the best leathers)
    Polo green
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Worth pour Homme haute Concentration
    Trussardi Uomo
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Quorum and Kouros
    M7
    Chanel PM Concentree
    Guerlain Mouchior de Monsieur, Derby
    Ho hang club by balenciaga

Almost all of the above in current formulation if available really suck; all these are rich, 80's, a bit brash, but one single ingredient mainly separates these and puts them on a higher pedestal - OAKMOSS...

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have anything to add to that

Guys! Some great stuff here...Keep them coming !

With $300 I believe thats enough to get Chanel Egoiste Cologne concentree and maybe there will be some leftover cash for vintage Fahrenheit.

Another would be Creed Green Valley and some others that fall within that $300 range.

(Too many that are above that limit unfortunately)

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    EdB is $52 bucks though?

Creed Green Valley is a excellent recommendation and so underrated. Though Jill Sander absolute is rare and gorgeous though straightforward.

I recently bought a bottle of Rochas Lui for less than 100. For that money I think I'd buy backups. Addictive stuff.

chanel egoiste concentreeeeeeeee would be my pick.

It would likely cost me more, but I would love to find a vintage bottle of Caron Poivre. Why? Well, I have only smelled the current version which I like and never the vintage stuff. The reason I want this one is that it is the only one from the year of my birth that interests me. I am coming up on a very big birthday and want a scent from the year I was born. Heck, I would give my eye teeth to have 1/2ml of the vintage stuff. Enough to test and to wear to my birthday party. I don't expect to find even a tiny sample though...sigh.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    Has Eau des Baux been discontinued?

Basenotes Plus

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Basenotes Plus

Santal imperial. It's the blueprint of what an elegant, masculine fragrance should be

Good reminder diamondflame, I'd like to add Helmut Lang edp and edc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    Dior Vetiver and wear it like I had 30 days left to live.
    that was funny

- - - Updated - - -

no, ordered 2 bottles from L'Occitane 2 days ago, just in case. I spent money I really didn't have ( maybe sitting in the dark for a week or so.
    John aka Easykiller

I would pick up as many bottles of Dunhill X-Centric that I could afford.
    GPH 1 would be my second choice.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I didnt realize GPH had been discontinued....

Sound Scents

I would most likely stock up on vintage versions of Giorgio for Men, Giorgio VIP, Polo and Captain Molyneux. If spending it on one bottle, I would look at Cuiron by Helmut Lang first.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I would most likely stock up on vintage versions of Giorgio for Men, Giorgio VIP, Polo and Captain Molyneux. If spending it on one bottle, I would look at Cuiron by Helmut Lang first.
    I have a small 1.6 oz full bottle of Cuiron, drreid....LOVE IT ! Wish I would have opted for the larger bottle but its a great scent and was way over 200 bucks...

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I have a small 1.6 oz full bottle of Cuiron, drreid....LOVE IT ! Wish I would have opted for the larger bottle but its a great scent and was way over 200 bucks...
    A tremendous fragrance that is unfortunately selling for lofty sums nowadays... While I had no idea the steal I was getting when I paid about $30 for a 100ml bottle when it was still on the market, it smells so good I would still shell out the lofty prices it sells for nowadays. My favorite leather.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    A tremendous fragrance that is unfortunately selling for lofty sums nowadays... While I had no idea the steal I was getting when I paid about $30 for a 100ml bottle when it was still on the market, it smells so good I would still shell out the lofty prices it sells for nowadays. My favorite leather.
    Well if you ever run across a 100 ml bottle at a fairly good price, please let me know by PM....I'd buy some more!

Has Eau des Baux been discontinued?
    No I don't think so, there was an unfounded rumour started by a single poster and nothing was confirmed AFAIK.

I didnt realize GPH had been discontinued....
    You must be new here. It's often lamented over along with the other Gucci greats: Rush, Envy and the older Nobile. Gucci is described as a shell of its former self in terms of fragrances. Certainly none of their current offerings lives up to these older fragrances. GPHI and Rush were very good, both worth getting if you like woody fragrances. I can't comment on the other two.

I'd get more bottles of By Man by D&G.

My absolute holy grail.

MFK oud ( first one)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Vintage Tabarome all the way, and if some spare cash is still available, discontinued designer masterpieces like Joint by Roccobarocco or Spazio Krizia.
    Well I have Spazio Krizia and I saw Joint going pretty cheap in some shop in Italy a month ago - and I didn't try it!
    It's a masterpiece you say?
    Renato

Patou Pour Homme re-issue. Give me $100 more and Creed 1849 is the choice. May just get the Patou for Christmas.

Gucci Nobile, Vintage Polo green, Vintage Drakkar noir, Vintage Bel ami
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

L'artisan - tea for two

Tragic discontinuation.

Probably something I don't have.

There are some great suggestions on this thread already. Count me as a fan of Cuiron and Green Valley.

Is Five o'clock au Gingembre discontinued, or just no longer on international distribution?

I have no experience of either if these, but from what I've heard for others here on BN, I'd really like the original Gucci Pour Homme from the 70's, and vintage Bel Ami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gucci Nobile my Dads personal favorite.

I don't know as I would pay three hundred dollars buy I'd like a vintage bottle of Polo.

M7
    Gucci PH
    Escada Magnetism
    Davidoff Good Life

So FSU92grad - made "the" decision yet on which one you are to spend the 200-300 on?

Caron Poivre (if not discontinued, it will be shortly) or the Dukes of Pall Mall Belgravia.

terre for every day use and Hindu Grass fro special times

Shameless plug here:
    I already have 43/50ml bottle Jil Sander Man Absolute... and there is no need to blow 200-300usd because you can swap with me for Terre d'Hermes, LIDGE or Timbuktu.

On topic:
    I would pay for M7 and GPH but only if I can get them both for 200-300usd. And I would wear them.
    Last edited by zlatnirez; 7th December 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Domenico Caraceni
    Castle Forbes Neroli LTD
    Creed Bayrhum Vetiver
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Is Five o'clock au Gingembre discontinued, or just no longer on international distribution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can buy it online:

http://us.sergelutens.com/five-o-clo...gingembre.html