Code of Conduct

Default SOTD Thursday 28th November, 2013.

Posting early as I am busy all day tomorrow.

Thanks you for all your kind comments about my broken
    fibula. The good news is my air cast boot came off today,
    however, I still need to wear an ankle brace for a further six weeks.
    No high heels, only flat lace-ups - not a good look at Xmas parties!
    I don't yet know if I'll be able to drive, depends on the insurance company
    I think.

Anyway, I plan to wear Ambre et Vanille tomorrow for a day out with
    the members of a Day Centre, where I volunteer.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Default Re: SOTD Thursday 28th November, 2013.

One step towards freedom!
    Have a lovely day.

A quick hello to everyone

Kewart congrats for getting that cast off. Maybe celebrate with a cute new pair of flats if heels are a no go?

Bel Respiro for a 5am run and now for a marathon day at work, might surface sometime tomorrow (I hope).

In Bois des Îles today for some much needed comfort.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Last edited by Xscent; 27th November 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: formatting issues
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Glad to hear the positive news, kewart - enjoy your day out.

(((Wolfie))), hope you feel better soon.

Happy Birthday Kumquat !.

SotD is MFK Absolue Pour Le Matin.

To all those celebrating ....

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 28th November 2013 at 05:54 AM.

Oajan by Parfums de Marly
    (909)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good morning!

Happy Birthday, kumquat!

Hi & Happy Thanksgiving to all concerned!

Aedes - Iris Nazarena

Happy birthday to Kumquat! Hope you have a super day.

Kewart - what a relief it must be to get rid of that boot. Hope you're skipping around in no time.

I'm wearing vintage Vol de Nuit extrait today.

Have a good day one and all.

Good morning! Happy Thanksgiving US basenoters, Happy birthday Kumquat, Happy cast free Day Kewart!

The thread on fragrances that smells like bread made me reach out for my neglected bottle of Bois Farine- I'm loving the opening, but fearing the moment when the ugly musk will emerge...

Have a nice day, all!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Blog Entries

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I am having insomnia while in a hotel on my birthday trip to Kansas City so I thought I'd look in. That Vol de Nuit looks especially yummy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Thanks for the birthday wishes! I am having insomnia while in a hotel on my birthday trip to Kansas City so I thought I'd look in. That Vol de Nuit looks especially yummy!
    Well, very early birthday wishes. Hope you get back to sleep!

That photo was shamelessly nicked from the internet. Kind of looks like a bottle of fine cognac, doesn't it?

Today is a vintage day, but I also have a decant of recent juice from a French forum on its way. Can't wait!

Happy thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today.

Happy birthday Kumquat, hope you get some rest soon.

Twolf hope you feel better soon.

Saminlondon gorgeous pic and the scent is even better.

Elirzj there is something so endearing about a man who is unafraid of courting you with such devotion. It brings a smile to my face. Enjoy it lovely.

ExtremeK M has the same effect one me, I cannot be trusted around M. It’s all things luxuriously naughty and the scent lingering on a cashmere sweater is phenomenal, the effect is the olfactory equivalent to two dozen oysters straight up! (PM’d you pic of dinner)

I’ll also add that is the best review of M ever 'all kinds of compromising positions rolled up in 2000 TC bed sheets and oozed into a bottle’ Yes indeed. With M the best Pratesi sheets will be naught but torn ribbons in a red hot minute.

Fingers crossed I may have just adverted the impeding deluge of work, something to be said for reading and understanding fine print.

Have a great day all!

Blog Entries

Morning all, happy Thanksgiving to all those celebrating, & a very happy birthday to kumquat!

Kewart, glad to hear the boot is off!

Rtamara, how is the Sikkim Girls body cream? l have this on my Christmas wish list, hope it's as gorgeous as the perfume.

l've got a day off today, & l'm draining my sample of Rien. Great stuff, but definitely NSFW.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Happy birthday, Kumquat!

SOTD is Kenzo Amour Le Parfum

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating. Smooches to our dear friends overseas for your kind wishes.

I have so many reasons to be thankful and knowing you lovely people is certainly one of them.

Celebrating or no, I wish all of you a wonderful day. xxoo
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Thursday 28th November, 2013.

Happy Birthday Kumquat

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Jubilation XXV,,,,

Hello all. Vamp a NYC.
    DONNA

Birthday wishes to kumquat
    kewart, so glad you are on the mend- that is a nasty break.
    This SotD thread sure is easy on the eyes with all the gorgeous visuals (especially Jon Rodgers - I love your images!) and imagined corresponding scents. Basenotes is an early morning treat to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving day.

teardrop, I have a generous sample of Sikkim Girls body cream (it's called lotion on the website, but it behaves much more like cream) and am loving it. The texture is very rich, something I appreciate in the colder weather, and the fragrance has all day longevity on me, which is unusual for a lotion. I think I actually prefer it to the perfume oil. Upon initial application, the scent from the various butters used for the base do compete with the SG perfume, but that settles down quickly and Sikkim Girls emerges and remains. Can be worn alone, but I am enjoying the pairing of SG with Cuir Beluga and I imagine it would work well with other scents in the similar warm range of notes.

This morning I am wearing a few drops of Cuir Gardenia by Mandy Aftel with my morning coffee. I called it cat nip, hubby called it cat p*ss. I see a conflict of interests here. Oh well, I'll just have to enjoy my CG solo! There are some wonderful, sensually provocative reviews of Cuir Gardenia floating about the net. The one by Fragrant Man pushed me over the edge to blind buy the small bottle of this one - no regrets!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating it!

Happy Birthday to Kumquat!

I have a pumpkin custard baking in the oven and it is scenting the air deliciously. I don't particularly like pie crust, so I bake the filling in a hot water bath, using nested rectangular pyrex dishes, with the hot water between the 2 dishes. The hot water bath makes it bake evenly-- no overcooked edges and undercooked centers. I also use a hot water bath when baking egg custard and even cheesecake (wrapping doubled heavy-duty foil around the base and sides of the springform pan to keep water out.)

I don't tend to wear perfume when I want to enjoy the scent of what is cooking. Maybe I'll choose a scent later....

Blog Entries

Thanks rtamara, the lotion sounds fab! And so does Cuir Gardenia; praise for this one seems universal so far. Must...try...to...resist.....
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe

I spend quite a chunk of this weekend by myself, and am using the time to bask in the quieter parts of my wardrobe. Last night was exquisite Chanel N° 22; today, vintage Arpège extrait. The Amarige can wait (;

P1020983.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Checking in between making the carrot dish and the mashed potatoes.... In Chanel Coco today.

Happy birthday wishes to Kumquat and a speedy recovery to Kewart!

Basenotes Plus

The temptation to join Sam this evening has proved irresistible - Vol de Nuit extrait here too . Non-vintage, but still wonderful.

Creed Fleurs de Gardenia. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday, Kumquat!!!

I made pumpkin bread...which also scented my home deliciously. I almost burnt it, that would have not been good!

I am digging 1899 by HDP, a bit of a masculine opening ...but then that cinnamon and vanilla, very good.

Hugs and blessings to everyone on BN!!
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Kumquat par-tay!
    One more lingering hug for Mike.

Relief for Kewart--yay!

Elizrj
    thanks for posting your "before" photos, they increase the appreciation for the the “afters,” which are so posh, serene, elegant, soothing, classy. And those drawers—those spacious, organized drawers for easy access to happy, pretty things (as opposed to just utilitarian stuff like spatulas or paperclips). You know the right way to start a day with a dressing room like that.

Chicagoista, BN Blanket of Benevolence” — five-star nomenclature.

Xscent’s advice to Kewart: "Maybe celebrate with a cute new pair of flats if heels are a no go?"
    I love those who are "shopping and have-a-good-time" enablers, as Teardrop and others here have been for me. You people are essential to us self-flogging, puritanical penny-pinchers.

Rtamara,while reading your post, I had a momentarily audio hallucination that I could actually hear you talking and laughing, and for a sec, I was with you at the Palmer House. I could see your wings!

Easyfish, what a heartwarming illustration of Snoopy serving root beer and popcorn — both originating from American plants.

Dear daughter has returned as our chef of the day and, being holiday contrarians, will be eating tofurky (tofu imitating turkey) and homemade pizza (because I really don't expect to eat tofurky).

Wearing
    Guerlain With Love, a long-ago gift from our daughter.

Best wishes to my global Basenotes family.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Happy Thanksgiving!

This year, in the fragrance world, I'm thankful for Basenotes "coming home", and for all the members who have stuck with it, through thick and thin. I am also thankful for Chanel's passage from the good hands of Jacques Polge to the amazingly talented hands of Olivier Polge. For that, I am wearing Jacques' timeless creation, no.5 Eau Première.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

SotE: Etro Patchouly from my brand new bottle!
    (too bad I also have some L'Autre lingering on my left sleeve... or did I spill some masala sauce on it?! )
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Blog Entries

I've finally applied fragrance, now that dinner is over: L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.

Daughter is napping, having caught a nasty cold after getting drenched during yesterday's Powderpuff football game (and her school lost the game, boo hoo!)

Mom had her Thanksgiving dinner at her senior residence's communal dining room for the first time (instead of coming to my house); I'll go over and see her some time this weekend. She is getting frailer and more forgetful. Today she tried to talk to me with the phone receiver upside down...the caregiver had to turn it around for her. She's having a harder time walking, too, and is using the travel wheelchair more. Getting her into the house for Christmas may be a challenge (steps to climb.)

Hubby and I are settling down now to relax with a movie. Beautiful sunny day here, although cold.

Blog Entries

Love you too, Q!

Wearing L'Air de Rien this evening; another sample drained. Mr teardrop seems to be recovering his sense of smell, so l may not get away with any more skank-monsters for a while...

Happy birthday to you Kumquat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I knew before I would have worn THIS:

TIM_3323.jpg

But too late - it`s been a really busy week, just no time for a good BN session, so just this:

TIM_3145.jpg

:-)
    Se son fiori fioriranno ...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Wishing all who celebrate it a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Sampling Mugler Angel today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Birthday Kumquat!

Good news kewart - you'll be back at the disco in no time

Tam Dao for me today.

Happy happy birthday, kumquat! Hope it is a very special day.

30 Roses, that pumpkin custard sounds divine! Eat a bite for me.

Heading to Thanksgiving dinner at Jay's parents in glorious 31 Rue Cambon.

Y'all have a lovely day, you beautiful people.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the celebrants today. I'm on mashed potato duty for the big dinner, wearing Au the Rouge as it's pretty subtle for the sensitive noses amount the group.

Yay for Kewart getting 'released'! Enjoy your freedom!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'm wearing Parfums de Nicoli Juste Une Reve. It's from that BN Blanket of Benevolence! It's rather lovely!

Thanks everyone for your support on Bachelor #3. He's been so amazing so far. Also thanks for the complents on my room. Still putting it together but I feel so glamorous in there!

Congrats on getting the boot off kewart!

Happy birthday kumquat!

Quarry (hugs) you are such a darling and enabling is good for the soul.
    teardrop I appreciate your skank-monsters.

Back home for a couple hours catnap and run now heading back out to work, weekend can't come fast enough.

In Narciso Rodrigez for Her Musc Collection Intense, I'm getting a nice hit of something menthol at the opening, it's not as sweet as the other two in the range which suits me just fine.

Finally checking in today, as I have been busy with my mother's visit. We did a few house projects this morning, then played tennis together (I hit her with a serve that caused her racquet to pop her in the nose and caused it to bleed - ugh, not a good Thanksgiving treat from me to her!). She recovered, and then we cooked a lovely meal, with a nice red wine.

L'Artisan Havana Vanille for me today.

Happy Thanksgiving all, and thank you for the kind wishes from across the pond and beyond. BN is such a lovely corner of the world, covering pretty much all the world, as it should

happy is the bleu heart<3

Happy Thanksgiving to my BN friends who celebrate ... I have had a wonderful day today, so much to be thankful for. It started off with a call in to work for a 58 year old woman having a heart attack. We were able to put a stent in her artery and she will recover just fine. Then I had dinner with my family including my mom, my brother and his family from Texas and my sister and boyfriend from about 2 1/2 hours away. Then to my house to watch the KU basketball game with the whole gang. So much fun and KU did win (yay!). I've been laughing so much, my sides hurt! I'm so lucky to have such a GREAT family!

Almost forgot, my SOTD is vintage Shalimar extrait.

Happy birthday, kumquat! Enjoy your time in Kansas City ... will you be able to see the lights at the Plaza? They are so beautiful and just turned on tonight!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Angéliques Sous La Pluie tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Happy Thanksgiving to you lovely people and for those not celebrating, an early happy Friday to you!

Huzzah, Kewart! I second Xscent's prescription of shopping for flats!

Twolf, dear, I hope you're feeling better and didn't wear yourself out today

(((30Roses)))

Was the fine print in fact your friend today, Xscent? I hope the work crisis has been flattened. I meant to congratulate you on the haul you reported in the other thread -- especially Une Fleur de Cassie, which is also one of my absolute skanky floral favorites.

Today I started with Tramp shower gel from Lush and then layered on more fabulous soft patchouli, cocoa, and vanilla with my winter beloved, Mazzolari Lei.

Basenotes Institution

Quarry - BIG HUG right back atcha Momma! All of those fascinating smilies just make me giggle. You are the Smilie Master on BN
    rtamara41 - come over & sit down here with your Cuir-Beluga-scented-self and let me stroke your hair ((inhaling))
    kumquat - Happy Birthday! I remember, when I turned 30, I was in Kansas City celebrating my birthday. I had a big ol' Kansas City steak and then went out & painted the town red. Nice memories. It's do darn Christmas-y there, isn't it?
    kewart - BIG congratulations on getting the cast removed. It must have felt wonderful when it was first removed.
    30 Roses - I know it wasn't very humorous what you said about Mom talking to you with the phone upside down, but I had a mental image of her doing this, and it made me giggle out loud. Give her a big kiss from me when you see her, will you?

Today it was (prompted by Xscent) because it's so darned autumnal...

Sova by Slumberhouse (from a sample)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Rive Gauche