Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I can not stop buying fragrances so I am thinking about selling my collection!

I'm afraid i can't give any good advices, but i feel this is a hobby for me, and as i don't have much other hobbies, i don't feel i spend too much money. If you really have a compulsive urge to buy frags, maybe it's not quite normal then, a hobby should be fun and you should enjoy it, and compulsive buying is something else.
    Some bottles for sale (Worldwide)

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I can not stop buying fragrances so I am thinking about selling my collection!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This is wisdom
    First of all thank you for your kind words.

It is a struggle isn't it? On one hand you enjoy the thrill of the hunt being bolstered by so many eloquent posters recommending a fragrance that is really unknown to you and thinking why isn't that in my arsenal at the moment and on the other hand is wait a minute haven't you such a selection headache to pick the right fragrance for that special occasion even now with the quantity you have. I think I am were you were a year or so ago and it's time for me to reflect on only the must have offerings that I truly enjoy and cull the lackluster or stale ones in my inventory. I like your checks and balances approach.
    Last edited by TNBLUEMIKE; 6th December 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a matter of organization and making choices. For example, I know that I love the quality of the very costly MDCI Paris collection. Can I buy it ? No. Rent needs to be paid. Vacations planned. Etc. etc. ... nothing new. But, they have that sample program. So, do the math. I got the first round of 5 samples (and those are a size of 12 ml each) for a decent amount of money. Next, instead of going for full bottle, I got the second round of new and different samples but with one favorite scent - Chypre Palatin - repeated - amongst them. That makes now 24 ml at a discounted price. If a full bottle of 60 ml costs approx. $250. - divide that by 5 for the 12 ml size, that makes $50. and not $25. as is the price of the sample. This is not hoarding. This is thinking.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

Ursala, thank's for your post. Does this strategy give the same satisfaction as buying a FB?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A different satisfaction. A sense of control. Helas, this is only an interaction over the internet. The feeling of going out to get a full bottle (of well thought choice) in a brick and mortar perfume store is something else again. To walk in, be treated like a queen, have the money ready for the coveted say, "Chypre Palatin", and then have a perfume conversation, and buy it, and be gifted a few extra samples from the store assistant, and wow, walk out ... that would be a great exercise in personal vanity.
    Somewhere, somehow after the initial elation "Oh, I deserve that" may be a stir of how other people in other countries are suffering of the effects of a tsunami, have their children dig in garbage, sleep in huts, be molested with bugs, and the like.
    One cannot truly enjoy an overabundance without the feeling of having somehow worked for it and earned it. At least I feel this way.
    There is a certain measure of what we want to spoil ourselves with.
    So, I measure it out. In small doses.
    The original poster wants to punish himself by "selling the whole collection" in order not be tempted to indulge even more. That method is PUNISHMENT. Why punish oneself for something so nice, so enjoyable. By withdrawing because otherwise there is no control? No alternative to control the passion? This type of logic escapes me.
    Well, it takes all kinds to make a world. The reasons are deep seated. Only a trained professional can unearth those and try to guide.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

It's never popular to attempt a moral or political perspective here on Basenotes but as it's coming up to Christmas those with HUGE AMOUNTS OF DISPOSABLE INCOME might think about sponsoring a child...(or two or three or four)?

http://www.plan-uk.org/sponsor-a-child/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Chances are, you're unconsciously treating a "symptom" in your life without actually dealing with the underlying problem. Because treating the symptom brings temporarily relief from the problem itself, one can easily find themselves repeating the same process over and over again until treating the symptom itself becomes an addiction - thus creating another problem while the original goes unresolved.

Ask yourself "why?" am I purchasing yet another fragrance. Is it something you truly need? No. Is it fulfilling a desire? Most likely. If so, how does it fill that desire? This is key because although you might ultimately ween yourself from purchasing fragrances, the behavior itself may very well resurface elsewhere (as someone else mentioned, they previously felt the same way about expensive watches) - so as you can see, by removing the purchases of the fragrances from the equation, one may only be crossing a symptom off their list of many.

Somewhere deep down within lies the heart of the problem - and without knowing much more, my guess would be fragrances - or whatever the choice may be - is some form of surrogate filling a void that's missing in your life somewhere, whether it's the excitement of receiving something new or the anticipation of having something to look forward to in the mail a couple of times a week... the answer lies within. You've just got to seek it out.
    This. There is no doubt in my mind that with 500 perfume purchases in a year you are not actually interested in perfumes at all. Because it would take you a year to study twenty of them in any depth. What then is it about buying (and perhaps owning, though that evidently isn't enough, since you keep on buying)? What do you feel when you close the deal? Is it doping, the adrenaline kick that displaces something discomforting in your life for a brief moment? Can you sit down by yourself for an hour without getting nervous? Or does something start gnawing at you? How do you feel about yourself? Do you like yourself, are you happy with the life you have lived up to this point?

This is an issue that will not be resolved by long-distance advice in a perfume forum, of course. But as The Bark pointed out, there is something there of which this issue is merely a symptom. And that is something you urgently need to address, even if your not economically threatened by your buying binge at this point. It will not go away, because it is part of you, and you need to recognize that part. Take care of yourself, learn about yourself, love yourself (not by buying yourself stuff, but by listening to your heart and being with all your senses). Perhaps you can tell I speak from personal experience...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Dear TLS,

Thank you for your concern.

I am well and I have already started to reduce the amount of my shopping.

However I have stumbled upon some vintage gems and sometimes it is very hard to resist.

This week I bought some rarities that were real bargains.

Regards,

mdclx
    It must be very hard for you. Did you start selling some bottles?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I could happily go back to having 1 or 2 bottles.

It's easy enough to do.

Sell them all on eBay or on here, then delete your account, destroy your credit / debit card and get back to normal life.

Boomshanka.