Code of Conduct

Default Is there a technical standard: specification for Beeswax Absolute?

I am based in Auckland, New Zealand in the south pacific. I have for the last three years now been on a quest to produce a high quality New Zealand made Beeswax Absolute. I have wax sourced from a number of different regions hence having unique olfactory properties.
    I have already produced a number of sample absolutes but my question to the forum do any members know if Is there a technical standard: specification for Beeswax Absolute. And if so what?

Thanks for your help.

Brett C

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there a technical standard: specification for Beeswax Absolute?

This should be in the Fragrance DIY section

Moved this to DIY from MFD.

No, I'm not aware of a "Standard". There may be a "typical", but even that is relative.

Naturals all change with the region, the season, the distillation type, - A LOT of variables...

So my best advice is to analyze with your nose, these materials in an alcoholic dilution, those materials that you currently have sourced as samples, and consult with a local perfumer, and find their strengths and weaknesses, and see what strengths that you can emulate with your product, while eliminating as many weaknesses as possible.

While I have only one beeswax absolute product in my lab, and certainly couldn't be called an expert in beeswax absolute, I certainly am a perfumer, and could receive a sample(s) and offer my opinions.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hi PK, I am intending on producing a run of sample absolute for prospective clients. How much quantity would perfumer need to evaluate?

Oh, anywhere between 1ml or gram and 5ml is usually enough. 5ml is really MORE than enough for one person, but if I need to pass it around to other perfumers, to work up an order, then 1ml doesn't go very far. I recently asked for a 3ml sample of rose oil, so that I could spread samples around amongst interested perfumers. I received 1ml rose oil instead, and had to parcel it out to 13 people. I think each person got 2-3 drops. It was a very almost futile effort for me to try to recommend the rose oil, when no one got enough really to try anything but sniff from the tube. I ended up with nothing for myself to smell. And *I* paid for the sample and shipping from another hemisphere. But when I send things to other people, I try to send along samples of different things they may have interest in, and then the sample gets spread around.

It's Party Day at the Yahoo Perfumemaking group, We just hit 2000 members YAY!!!

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon