Code of Conduct

Default Any reformulated version that is better than its own original juice?

I've been hearing bad news about the classics or those best sellers being reformulated. My doubt is have you found any reformulated scent that you like more?

Do the brand owners fear that they'd lose long-term customers?

I remember back in 2006, the sillage of Azzaro pour Homme just killed me right in the shopping mall, and that was only from one single spray on the wrist. The current version is much weaker and can do me no harm.

The latest one that dissapoints me is Terre d'Hermes.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Any reformulated version that is better than its own original juice?

Some say Derby is..
    Usually it's the opposite..
    Not really a reformulation but I prefer Eau Sauvage Parfum to the original

Default Re: Any reformulated version that is better than its own original juice?

Dior Homme Intense.

When I first tried the vintage juice I couldn't stand its overbearing lipstick aroma. Tried it again 2 years ago and it fell by the wayside in comparison to LIDGE. Tried it again a few weeks ago and must say that the latest formulation is quite wonderful.

According to many here, the current formulation of Tsar is better than the previous one.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think the current formulation of Dior Homme Sport is better than the 2008 version.

Slumberhouse's Ore and Vikt were both hugely improved in the reformulation process, but that's largely because these were more revisions than reformulations from necessity. I can't imagine revisions exist in the more established world of perfumery, but perhaps there have been cases?

I prefer the newer Jaguar for men to the original for some reason. It's not great and smells cheaper but still.

Although I own both, I prefer the smell of the newer Rochas Moustache to the Vintage Moustache (tube shaped bottle)
    (932)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The newer Amouage Gold Men is better in my opinion as it is less animalic.

As to reformulations of scents that are 10+ years old, no. If the projection/sillage is too much, you just apply appropriately. The idea of going with an inferior reformulation because it is weaker strikes me as ridiculous. One reformulation that I do prefer by a wide margin is D'Orsay's Le Dandy. I have a decades old one, and that has probably changed, so I can't say it's exactly what it smelled like way back then, but I don't find it special. The newer (not newest) "silver cap" formulation is something special, IMO, by contrast.

I said it before and I will repeat it. Reformulated Encre Noire to me is better - much more wearable and less agressive. There is not note (maybe they decreased amount of ISO E Super) that sometimes caused me sneezing and I wear it more often that I used to wear juice from my old decant of original version.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

This will all be opinion, but I like the newer Quorum better than my vintage bottle. In fact I may try to trade my vintage splash at some point for something else. I think a lot of people go too crazy over reformulations, and try way to hard to get the vintage version. If you buy a fragrance that you like, and then you go and research it you will find a dozen basenoters try to tell you it sucks compared to the original, and they make you feel like you are missing out on something. Well maybe sometimes they are right, but overall I think they are being silly, but to each his own.

Hey I have a newer version of Quorum tester, wanna swap with your vintage Quorum ?.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    This will all be opinion, but I like the newer Quorum better than my vintage bottle. In fact I may try to trade my vintage splash at some point for something else. I think a lot of people go too crazy over reformulations, and try way to hard to get the vintage version. If you buy a fragrance that you like, and then you go and research it you will find a dozen basenoters try to tell you it sucks compared to the original, and they make you feel like you are missing out on something. Well maybe sometimes they are right, but overall I think they are being silly, but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Although I own both, I prefer the smell of the newer Rochas Moustache to the Vintage Moustache (tube shaped bottle)
    (932)
    The original one is very akin to the scents in fashion at the time it was launched: I have the EdT and it feels like an EdC with a very particular yet fleeting note in the tops. This same note has been amped up in the last formulation.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    In my experience, there are two major issues: better quality ingredients and notes that are entirely missing, such as sandalwood. If you are a "top notes person" who doesn't have much of a grasp on differences in quality, my guess is that you will often prefer the reformulations.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    (932)
    What does the 932 mean.?
    John aka Easykiller

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    In my experience, there are two major issues: better quality ingredients and notes that are entirely missing, such as sandalwood. If you are a "top notes person" who doesn't have much of a grasp on differences in quality, my guess is that you will often prefer the reformulations.
    Ouch!!

Good thread, by the way.

I like the new Etro Messe de Minuit better than the original, which had too much of a moldy book smell for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    What does the 932 mean.?
    Off topic: I also ask myself about it.

Hednic, you don´t have to tell. We like just the way you are. With or without numbers.

People have already mentioned the two that first came to my mind.

The Tsar i bought a dozen years ago only lasted a few hours on me, while the version I bought five or so years ago in the newer bottle lasts a lot longer. And the same happened with Guerlain Vetiver in the old bottle I bought 12 years ago, versus the newer one I bought a few years later.

I still have a 30ml bottle of the old Quorum which I didn't like much at all, whereas the newer Quorum is fine.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Ouch!!

Good thread, by the way.
    Do a search then...............there have been so many similar threads in the past!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme and Tsar are indeed better than its predecessor but mind that there are three versions of each and the original is still the best!

(Current Jaguar for Men better than vintage?? Shame on you Russel (lol). To me they differ like night and day with the current version being completely synthetic and dreadful compared to vintage (brown cap).)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Do a search then...............there have been so many similar threads in the past!

Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme and Tsar are indeed better than its predecessor but mind that there are three versions of each and the original is still the best!

(Current Jaguar for Men better than vintage?? Shame on you Russel (lol). To me they differ like night and day with the current version being completely synthetic and dreadful compared to vintage (brown cap).)
    I know lol. That's why I'm surprised I like it better. I don't know if the bottle of the original had perhaps lost its top notes but the fresh, cheap, orange and leather of the new one, I do enjoy it more. I had the new one first and even was a bit disappointed that the old version smelled so different instead of being a better quality, deeper version of the new one.

It seems that there are also different versions of the vintage with brown cap as I read in some old threads and reviews! Some are made in France, others in Germany or Switzerland (maybe they differ in smell?!). Perhaps you have a 'bad' one and I a 'good' version.................who knows but mine smells divine!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Could be. Think it was made in France but who knows how some of these old bottles have been stored over the decades. The original was nice enough but just not very exciting. Never seemed to reach for it much. The new one, and it certainly smells as it has been cheapened, is somehow quite enjoyable. I wouldn't wear it on a date or to work, it's a before shower, doing chores, etc, kind of scent for me.

Dior homme and Guerlain Jicky

Derby!! I think the new release is by far more wareable, and maybe more "green"

3rd Man by Caron. I find the reformulation better and easier to wear to the Office. You are not going to offend anybody when wearing the reformulation. The vintage formulation on the other hand....
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Dior Homme Intense. The Iris is toned down a little. Doesn' neccessarily make it better, but it hangs in there with the original.

No thanks I already have the new Quorum, and would rather trade vintage for something else.

Basenotes Plus

I prefer the new Derby over vintage. Much better composition, more wearable, feels current and more refined.

I may be in the minority on this one but the current Hermes Bel Ami is also quite good, not necessarily 'better' than vintage, but it's very nice and very wearable. If you can find vintage, great, but I wouldn't lose sleep over this one if you could only get the current bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    ...(Current Jaguar for Men better than vintage?? Shame on you Russel (lol). To me they differ like night and day with the current version being completely synthetic and dreadful compared to vintage (brown cap).)
    Just as I said, if ingredient quality isn't readily apparent, the person seems to choose reformulations (and if they don't know much about ingredient quality, it's not likely they will be able to do things like detect whether a subtle but clear sandalwood note is present).

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Slumberhouse's Ore and Vikt were both hugely improved in the reformulation process, but that's largely because these were more revisions than reformulations from necessity. I can't imagine revisions exist in the more established world of perfumery, but perhaps there have been cases?
    While the new Ore is not my cup of tea, I have to agree with the massive improvement made to Vikt. The old formula had something about it I just didn't like. I liked the new version enough to order a bottle through his sale last week.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I said it before and I will repeat it. Reformulated Encre Noire to me is better
    .... um, what?? Encre Noir has been reformulated? When?? It's only been released in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Just as I said, if ingredient quality isn't readily apparent, the person seems to choose reformulations (and if they don't know much about ingredient quality, it's not likely they will be able to do things like detect whether a subtle but clear sandalwood note is present).
    It's not always about ingredient quality though. The old one, whilst it may contain higher quality ingredients, didn't move me much as a scent, the new one on the other hand, whilst it smells cheapened and certainly isn't a classic, smells like nothing else I own and can be fun to wear as a pre-shower. If it smells like nothing else due to cheap ingredients is debatable ;-) sometimes a bad production can be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    Derby!! I think the new release is by far more wareable, and maybe more "green"
    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I prefer the new Derby over vintage. Much better composition, more wearable, feels current and more refined.

I may be in the minority on this one but the current Hermes Bel Ami is also quite good, not necessarily 'better' than vintage, but it's very nice and very wearable. If you can find vintage, great, but I wouldn't lose sleep over this one if you could only get the current bottle.
    I think new Derby is like a "Light" version of vintage Derby and I prefer the original release. I agree that the new version is more modern and "refined" in the office-friendly sense, but I like the mossy bombast of the original.

Thanks for the Bel Ami suggestion, I need to give it another try.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.