Code of Conduct

Question Morabito Or Black 2014

Hello, is this different in smell, strength, longevity to the refill or older versions?

I own it, smells very good but could be stronger/last longer.

http://pascalmorabito.com/home/or-black-2014/

Thanks.

Default Re: Morabito Or Black 2014

I have the original: bombastic top notes, soft mid notes, fleeting base notes. Not to my expectations as told by many Base Noters. Guess the hype is based on its top notes, diffcult to get nowadays.

Also have a bottle of the original with black base and silver cap. I've smelled the most recent one that's out (thought it was earlier than 2014)
    Smell is similar but not as tenacious as the vintage. Longevity didn't seem to me as good as the one from the past.
    (935)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Given that the re-release is about 1/6th cost of the original, I'd be willing to forgive the subtle difference.

Ordered it blind yesterday. Even though I haven't tried the vintage one, i'm really curious about the 2014 version.

There is a huge ongoing thread on this now. Search Function is your friend.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...ascal-Morabito
    Last edited by Boge; 29th November 2013 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks, guys. Doesn't sound that different, so perhaps not worth getting an older version (without trying it first). Probably will let the 2014 version go. It just doesn't last long enough.

@Boge
    If you could point out where in the other, 2 year old thread my specific question did get addressed. Ta.

The new 2014 version is excellent, it is not properly a new fragrance as we read on Fragrantica (in my humble opinion) but a revisiting still really faithful to the original formula, probably slightly muskier, brighter, more soapy/ambery and approachable in the first stages, still holy perfection in the dry down (a concert of misty velvet, malt, moss and suede).
    P.S: I own both (vintage and new 2014).
    Last edited by Darvant; 1st April 2014 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    The new 2014 version is excellent, it is not properly a new fragrance as we read on Fragrantica (in my humble opinion) but a revisiting still really faithful to the original formula, probably slightly muskier, brighter, more soapy/ambery and approachable in the first stages, still holy perfection in the dry down (a concert of misty velvet, malt, moss and suede).
    This +1

Although the longevity is not nearly as good, but that's to be expected in this day and age.

The recent release is very good, but it is not the same as the original. The price tag is also very dis similar . I will stick with current release.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    The recent release is very good, but it is not the same as the original. The price tag is also very dis similar . I will stick with current release.
    Nobody says they are the same. The new 2014 is excellent, I own a bottle of the vintage and one of the new 2014, tested either together many times (at once one on left wrist and the second on the right one) I purchased both by the Place Vendome Morabito Boutique, the differences (which are anyway present but not on a raw materials quality sphere) are minimal (the new one is slightly brighter and is more ambery), those are notable expecially on the top, the general quality is still excellent, about the price it is absolutely normal that if you look for a vintage Or Black on ebay you will pay a huge price while looking neaby the Morabito boutique the price (according with the invoice they have sent me) is at moment € 69 (the new 2014), € 45 the refill of the vintage, both 100 ml (lately the full bottle/classic packaging vintage price was the same €69). I just hope will be avoided on Basenotes the mythology of the wasting riformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    P.S: I own both (vintage and new 2014).

This + 2.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

This kind of fragrance cannot withstand IFRA regulations.

The bottle I bought a couple of years ago was harsh and confused. Nothing dark, plush, or bitter, the heart of Or Black almost completely gone. A puny little woody spicy thing, you'd have been much better off with something like Eloge du Traitre (Etat Libre d'Orange). They must have done some serious work between then and now, and I don't know how that's possible with IFRA regs more intense by the day. There are a few good fragrances out there, but in most cases if you want a good one you've gotta back in time.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th April 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Hi, I just got the last bottle in the shop.
    It's already available in discount stores in Paris so it would be worth your while checking out
    different outlets before handing over your cash.
    Presumably this is the new formulation.
    I have to say it's a blind buy because on the first 2 trials I thought it must be a bootleg because
    the top note is just so awful...

Sound Scents

I think the rerelease is absolutely outstanding and pretty faithful to the original. In a year of relatively disappointing new releases, we get the return of three greats... Cuiron, Or Black and Richard James Savile Row. I guess there is still hope for the world of perfume yet.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie