Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Friday, 29 November 2013.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Slumberhouse - Vikt - spray sample.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 29 November 2013.

Good morning!

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. SotD is Nasomatto Silver Musk.

According to Nasomatto - "The fragrance aims to evoke superhero magnetism. It is the result of a quest for mercurian liquid love sensation".

Day off today so the corkscrew may be put to use early. In the meantime I'll be in the batcave with a large cappuccino. Come and get me, girls

ExtremeK I will still need to work part of the weekend but yes, the fine print was my friend, I did help write it after all. In this instance my pen was indeed mightier than his sword, though I’m not sure it it would hold up against Cello’s racket, that must have been some serve.

As for Une Fleur de Cassie, it was one suggested to me. I’m not sure why I came to mind or what it necessarily implies but I’m glad to have it in my collection.

Mike did you need more enabling? How about this, did I hear rumours of the dreaded D word around SOVA?????

30 Roses (((hugs))) hoping your mama has some good days coming up.

kalli no soup? Glad your pumpkin bread worked out, sounds delish.

Jon I recognise that one! Open up the batcave Captain Cabernet, rescuer of all damsels needing a drink. Bought some Grange, dark chocolate and scotch (for later) and early christmas gift for you.

Joining Jon in Silver Musk for the evening.
    Last edited by Xscent; 29th November 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: I'm tired, give me a break!
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Love that calendar, Xscent!

I'm in Habit Rouge vintage EdT today.

Have a good end-of-the-working week, folks.

I'm in Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Thanks Xscent for your appreciation of my "skank-monsters". l'm wearing another one today; Bal a Versailles.
    l've just ordered a sample of Une Fleur de Cassie; it sounds like one l might love.
    BTW, l read your post on your catnap yesterday as "catnip", LOL. Must still be thinking about rtamara's post on Cuir de Gardenia.

Jon, you're such a tease!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia this cool morning
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Friday, 29 November 2013.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Jon you're plenty attractive already, so watch yourself around all that mercurian liquid love sensation. xxoo

SOTD is Krigler Lovely Patchouli. Happy to boycott the Black Friday insanity as I do every year. Will write out Christmas cards today instead.

Happy Friday, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all. A sample of PG 02 Coze
    DONNA

Happy Friday! Another skeleton crew at work today, should be nice and quiet and I will probably be playing on Etsy lots of the day. My goal is to buy mostly handmade/artisan/antique gifts this year and do as little commercial shopping as possible.

Terry, writing out Christmas cards and avoiding the crowds is much more like it. Enjoy your day, sounds very relaxing.

easyfish, love that Rive Gauche ad with Karen Elson, I'd know that red hair anywhere! I saw her in concert in October opening for my favorite red-haired songstress Neko Case, and Karen has a beautiful and bewitching voice.

I'm in Estee Lauder Intuition. It's freezing outside (oh how I hate being cold) and I needed something easy and comfy.

Good afternoon from freezing Milan!
    SotD is again Etro Patchouly.
    Happy starting of the weekend everyone!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Institution

lpp - is the Vikt sampling doing it for you? It and Sova were my two favorites from the line.

easyfish - that RG ad has to be from when Tom Ford was @ YSL, it has his personal style written all over it. Probably the most sexual RG ad I've ever seen.

Jon - 'cappucinos on the batcave' LOL. Enjoy!

Xscent - yep, it's discontinued. This is Murphys Law, right? The one I finally fall for is disco'd. (sigh)

tdem1961 - Ah, Christmas cards! I haven't even bought mine yet. Argh, the holidays are here!!!

In Sync in (Random sample):

Siskiyou Backpackers Cologne by Juniper Ridge

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Versace ~ The Dreamer

Aoud & Pine by Montale
    (950)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mike, wow, you're good! I googled that ad campaign when I saw easyfish's post earlier with that striking ad. Quote from the article: "Ford's choices of models were anything but restrained. Shot by Solve Sundsbo, the women's ad features Karen Elson, showing off her bright red hair and alabaster skin, while in contrast, the men's publicity features a deeply tanned, hairy-chested male. Both of them are on the phone -- one senses with each other -- and each holds a Rive Gauche flacon in their free hand. 'When we re-launched Opium we used Sophie Dahl, who was very pale. This is a continuation of that. For me Karen looks very urban, and I think of Rive Gauche as a very urban brand,' Ford said." (From article here http://fashion.myway.com/scene/id/scene%7C5496.html)

By the way Mike, how is that cologne? Have you tried others from the line and are there any you particularly recommend? I was thinking of picking up a bottle for my brother, who is an avid hiker always doing parts of the AT.
    Last edited by ErinK; 29th November 2013 at 02:31 PM.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Jon's got that sexy superhero thing down, but Shades and her surgical team are the real superheroes who saved a life with a stent on Thanksgiving. That fortunate family will never forget you when giving thanks in the Novembers to come, dear Shannon.

Every once in a while, I am, quite by accident, on trend. So it appears with the fragrance Marni. Robin/NowSmellThis just wrote: Marni was one of my favorite fragrance releases of 2013, and Marni Rose now joins the "best of" list as one of my favorite flankers of the year.

For moi, Marni burns with hot spice, which normally hurts my nose, and it has rose, which I rarely like, and it has this brutal Pinesol opening. Yet the sum of its parts form a hook that calls and calls to me. I'm even learning to like the parts I don't like. I'm surprised that a brand new, designer fragrance can present such a novel experience.

The projection goes some distance, and the best part occurs mostly between the burn off of the top notes and the subsequent hour or two, then the whole aura fades back considerably.

I keep waiting for the novelty to grow old. It seems like too much personality to go the distance, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Robin also wrote that layering the original and the new Marni Rose flanker is greater than either by itself, so I'll probably test out that assertion when I do some shopping in L.A. in March.

One more thing that surprises me is that the bottle is also novel and pleasing. I guess that's why we never stop sampling—great things may yet arise!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I am trying out another Chicago sample, this from our quick foray into Agent Provacateur. Their Petale Noir is really quite pretty and not the rumpled sheets that I expect from the shop.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for all of you, and this year I'm really thankful for my health and being able to have so much more energy. Last year was barely a month out from my gastric surgery and I couldn't eat anything that wasn't pureed. This year I was able to eat, but still very little. Even then, I got a taste of everything

My sister is hoping this year that I will start to refine my niece's perfume palate. She's 11 and loves her Justin Beiber, sugary fruity perfumes. She's asking for One Direction's perfume for Christmas even tho she hasn't smelled it yet. It's sure to be sugary and fruity is my guess. What do you all think is a good one to start a young girl down the right path? Up til now I've indulged her, but given the fact that she wears like 5-6 sprays, put on like 3-4x a day, my sister and brother in law are dying. Especially when she starts custom mixing her own perfume from her myriad of bottles. My sister doesn't even really like perfume that much, so she's becoming horrified. I'm trying to decide if a big step is needed, like buying her a really good bottle of something and informing her that it can only be worn alone... like Chanel Gardenia, or Shalimar ... Mexique. Hmmmm....

Oh and Quarry, thanks for that review! I've been noticing you wearing the heck out of that Marni, and been interested. It got a lot of good reviews around the internet, but your endorsement carries the most weight with me.

And I am going to head to the batcave right after work. Sounds so dark and mysterious and fun. Hope someone is spinning some tunes in there too, it'd make a great club!

Wearing my latest love, Demeter's Jasmine, obtained from ebay. I think it's a pre-reformulation version. The Jasmine is narcotic; it has a fresh, greenish note. The bottle says it's a cologne but it lasts like an EdP.

elizrj, I wonder if maybe Prada Candy or Candy L'eau (light pink bottle and juice, and developed, like the original, by Daniela Andrier) would be a good option for your niece. Either is girly looking with the pink bottles and the name surely fits her demographic, and it's got the sugar and fruit she likes but with more sophistication and presence. Candy L'eau notes from Fragrantica: Italian citruses, followed by the floral heart of sweet pea. The base is signature warm and gourmand, composed of benzoin, white musk and caramel.

I have *still* not tried Marni, either, and it is hard to believe they already have a flanker out! Guess the original was so popular it makes sense to make a good flanker. I agee with elizrj, Quarry, your endorsement is high praise indeed.

Just thought I'd mention, my boss told a story about Giorgio perfume and how expensive it was and spraying one of those "If you like Giorgio you will like this" fakes on herself at Walgreens and telling people it was Giorgio and being proud she got it for $2. I'm not sure if that happened 20 years ago or yesterday, given my boss neither would surprise me.
    Last edited by ErinK; 29th November 2013 at 04:13 PM.

Hah!! ErinK that's a great story! I see those every time and there's always something just "off" about them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree, Prada Candy may be just the thing for her. I was hoping I could find something that would be a good compromise for her mom tho. Susan (my sister, her mom) likes clean clean clean scents. And the one she wants for herself is Illuminum White Gardenia Petals. So I was thinking something that my sister wouldn't hate to smell, and my niece would still love, and would expand and mature her palate a bit. Maybe I should get a sample of Candy and see what my sister thinks of it.

Prada is a good suggestion. Have you sniffed Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal? I haven't but it looks as though it's sweet but at the same time fresh? It has pear, peach and grassy notes I guess.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Gucci Pour Homme I

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    And I am going to head to the batcave right after work. Sounds so dark and mysterious and fun. Hope someone is spinning some tunes in there too, it'd make a great club!

Indeed they are !. The merlot is uncorked and our heavy metal theme night is up and running. We already have a couple of early arrivals - you can't keep a good party animal down for long ...

SotE - Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    … I'm not sure if that happened 20 years ago or yesterday, given my boss neither would surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Wearing my latest love, Demeter's Jasmine, obtained from ebay. I think it's a pre-reformulation version. The Jasmine is narcotic; it has a fresh, greenish note. The bottle says it's a cologne but it lasts like an EdP.
    Greenish note, you say. Moi loves moi some green.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Good afternoon from freezing Milan!
    SotD is again Etro Patchouly.
    Happy starting of the weekend everyone!
    Iodine., brrrrrrrr, when Milan is cold, it.....is......cold....... It seems to get right into your bones and your lungs. I've been in Milan when it's cold, and believe me, I come from a cold place! I rememeber being there and it was frrrrrrreeeeeeezing. The duomo was being maintained so it was covered with a tarpaulin and onto it they were projecting images of Maria Callas and her voice was soaring out of huge speakers. It was evening, and dark. With that and the cold it was surreal and wonderful. I've been wearing the Etro Patchouli too. It's great isn't it?

SOTD for me is a sample of Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin, for the synch.

@mikeperez23 - yes, Sova is possibly my favourite of those tried so far too - hadn't tried the Vikt before but liking it so far - thank you!
    The Backpacker's Cologne sounds interesting as well.

Thanks Kalli! I seem to remember someone on here being into that scent for a long time. Wish I could remember who it was. I'll have to grab some samples of that one too.

SOTE is Ivoire de Balmain - my tiny bottles of vintage EDT arrived today. Wearing this for the first time and feel like Evangeline would be proud!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Clinique Aromatics Elixir for a milder temperatured tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    Mike, wow, you're good! I googled that ad campaign when I saw easyfish's post earlier with that striking ad. Quote from the article: "Ford's choices of models were anything but restrained. Shot by Solve Sundsbo, the women's ad features Karen Elson, showing off her bright red hair and alabaster skin, while in contrast, the men's publicity features a deeply tanned, hairy-chested male. Both of them are on the phone -- one senses with each other -- and each holds a Rive Gauche flacon in their free hand. 'When we re-launched Opium we used Sophie Dahl, who was very pale. This is a continuation of that. For me Karen looks very urban, and I think of Rive Gauche as a very urban brand,' Ford said." (From article here http://fashion.myway.com/scene/id/scene%7C5496.html)

By the way Mike, how is that cologne? Have you tried others from the line and are there any you particularly recommend? I was thinking of picking up a bottle for my brother, who is an avid hiker always doing parts of the AT.
    I knew it. He was always pushing the envelope at the houses he was with, especially in the ads for YSL & Gucci. I really like his eye when it's subtly sexual, whereas with his Tom Ford line he's gone a bit over the line. My favorite ad is that Kouros ad he did:

And the Siskiyou by Juniper Ridge was intensely green, super medicinal/raw and very natural smelling. There is NOTHING I've ever smelled like it. It smells like plants and grasses and broken off pieces of trees. On your body. I'm intrigued. I think I would absolutely love the Shower Gel.

Ended the evening in:

Tam Dao (EdP) by Diptyque

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Good morning!
    Great picture. Too bad more people don't wear it. Not as good as it was but still one of the absolute best. Opium, too !
    Last edited by pluran; 30th November 2013 at 07:03 AM.