Code of Conduct

Default Unisex Saffron with great longevity?

Does such a scent exist? I love the smell of Safran Troublant, but it's gone before I even finish my dressing routine. I admittedly haven't tried the Jo Malone Saffron Intense, but reviews indicate the same problem. So, is there a great, strongly saffron scent with lasting power or is this just by nature, a fleeting note?

Default Re: Unisex Saffron with great longevity?

I like the saffron & oud combo - so suggesting a few below:

Amouage Asrar attar is the best imho, followed by Montale Red Aoud.

Others - L'Artisan's Al Oudh / Nejma Aoud One / Byredo Accord Oud...

do try aoud lime from montale - my fav from this house; has a nice, noticeable saffron...

Bruno Acampora Nero lasts really well on me although sillage is moderate. Notes are citrus, saffron, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, amber, musk.

On me, JM Saffron Intense last pretty well for a cologne - about 4-5 hours. But, I've been giving it three full, direct sprays - no walking into a mist with this one.

Indian Saffron by Montale has a very prominent saffron also.
    (978)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

PKiler's Zaffran is a great saffron scent..
    Golden Boy by Dueto perhaps?

People talk about a saffron note in Tom of Finland. I'm not sure I can smell it, but Tom is a powerhouse.

Basenotes Plus

I have not had a chance to smell Donna Karan Chaos but was told it lasts quite a long time with some good dose of saffron in the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    People talk about a saffron note in Tom of Finland. I'm not sure I can smell it, but Tom is a powerhouse.
    Perhaps because it's safranelin.
    I know most saffron is synthetic but I think the one in Tom of Finland is intended to be more synthetic.

It's like plastic melted with saffron.

for swap/sale:

I do perceive some sort of saffron in Tom of Finland, but as hedonist was saying, I think it's a chemical that smells between suede leather and saffron. I believe it is also used in the original Bulgari Omnia (not in the flankers). I think you should smell these. Lasting power is excellent.

I also second Aoud lime, but a few people think that the current version, which I have not smelled, is a lamentable, weaker reformulation, so beware.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I also second Aoud lime, but a few people think that the current version, which I have not smelled, is a lamentable, weaker reformulation, so beware.
    cacio
    I'm glad to own one of the earlier versions; I thought only black Aoud was watered down, didn’t know the entire lineup was affected...

I tried the Jo Malone Saffron today and found I almost couldn't smell it at all. I'll try it again in a few days.

- - - Updated - - -

I am thinking I ought to try PKilers sample pack. Would be good to support a fellow Basenoter.

- - - Updated - - -

No others? Perhaps Saffron is a tough note?

A different time and I'm trying Saffron Intense again and really loving it!

Xerjoff's Gao is a truly wonderful & long lasting Saffron scent. It does lean towards masculine though and maybe a bit too heavy for you.

Basenotes Junkie

I'm picking up saffron in either Idole De Lubin or Frapins Caravelle Epice. Not sure which one's got more, though. I have actually been on the lookout for a saffron fragrance for my girlfriend - I can see that working really well for her.

I'm going to have a crack at Saffron Troublant from L'artisan - it might be what I'm looking for. Also - Byredo got one Saffron fragrance, might it be Black Saffron? Something like that - and I've really started to like Byredo as well, you could give them a try.

Overcome By Fumes

I get more saffron from Black Cashmere than from Chaos.

Blog Entries

Giorgio Armani Privé Cuir Noir is very spicy - and the spice is supposedly saffron (presumably largely safraleine, but still....). It has very great longevity, too. I personally think it's very unisex - spice and leather.

Cuir Noir showcases the raw material Saffron, a spice with leather accents. The roundness and sensuality of its notes bring suppleness and warmth, reflecting the enveloping sensuality of skin-on-skin contact. Derived from the crimson stigmas of Crocus sativus, saffron is the world’s most expensive apice. Its ochre colour symbolises inner happiness, which is why saffron-hued clothing is often mentioned in ancient mythology, tragedies and poetry. In perfumery, saffron lends a full, leathery and sensual note to fragrance compositions. With Cuir Noir, Giorgio Armani journeys into the heart of an Arabian night. He revisits the saffron accord to create a captivating Oriental. Golden and voluptuous, saffron infuses a profoundly sensual experience that recalls the redolence of tanned hides with the wild scent of tallow and the smouldering, tarry aroma of black birch.
    http://www.giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.c...bookmark=53557

That one sounds delicious Red, but why does everything I become interested in have to be so speedy! (Insert whiney tone here )

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I tried the Jo Malone Saffron today and found I almost couldn't smell it at all. I'll try it again in a few days.
    Typical Jo Malone...I wouldn't waste my $$ on them...

Blog Entries

That one sounds delicious Red, but why does everything I become interested in have to be so speedy! (Insert whiney tone here )
    I hear you. I only own one of the Armani Privé series, but there are three or four that I really would not mind owning, if I could suddenly stop worrying about things like the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I hear you. I only own one of the Armani Privé series, but there are three or four that I really would not mind owning, if I could suddenly stop worrying about things like the mortgage.
    Ha ha, indeed! I have slowed down a bit so that is good. Being busy helps me to just wear what I have and forget that there are other things that I am interested in.

Blog Entries

Ha ha, indeed! I have slowed down a bit so that is good. Being busy helps me to just wear what I have and forget that there are other things that I am interested in.
    Which reminds me of the fact that I've been looking at Safran Troublant for a very long time, myself. I love the fragrance, and just find it pleasant every time I sniff it. It performs really nicely for me, too. But for some reason, I just never buy it. Part of me thinks that it's because I'm looking for something better, and part of me thinks that it's because I've found "the one" for saffron, and am just banking on it - leaving it out there, with the actual buying of it being just a technicality that can occur whenever. But the point is, "the hunt" and "the buy" really are separate things, and breaking them up has been another technique to help me slow down on fragrance acquisitions. THANK GOODNESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Which reminds me of the fact that I've been looking at Safran Troublant for a very long time, myself. I love the fragrance, and just find it pleasant every time I sniff it. It performs really nicely for me, too. But for some reason, I just never buy it. Part of me thinks that it's because I'm looking for something better, and part of me thinks that it's because I've found "the one" for saffron, and am just banking on it - leaving it out there, with the actual buying of it being just a technicality that can occur whenever. But the point is, "the hunt" and "the buy" really are separate things, and breaking them up has been another technique to help me slow down on fragrance acquisitions. THANK GOODNESS!
    Hmm, interesting point. I find this is true in photography as well. I'm always looking to shoot THE photo. But knowing there will always be another. It's the warrior in all of us coming out,eh. As to Safran Troublant, it is lovely, if fleeting.

Blog Entries

Hmm, interesting point. I find this is true in photography as well. I'm always looking to shoot THE photo. But knowing there will always be another. It's the warrior in all of us coming out,eh. As to Safran Troublant, it is lovely, if fleeting.
    I'm wondering if it's olfactory fatigue. Like cacio said, safraleine has excellent lasting power. It's not an ephemeral substance. Here's a link:

http://www.givaudan.com/webcom/v/ind...005b53410aRCRD

Note that tenacity on a blotter is one week. This stuff will hang around on clothing.

However, also note where it's poorest - in antiperspirants (fairly acidic) and in bleach (highly oxidizing and basic).

Are you applying to skin? You may just have skin that is aggressive toward this chemical. That can be a function of skin condition, enzyme genetics, and your personal flora and fauna, which vary considerably from person to person. But if that's the problem, then it could be a problem for lots of fragrances, since I'll bet that the majority of saffron fragrances rely at least in part on this chemical. Therefore, applying to clothing, hair, etc., may help.

Also, if it's a problem of olfactory fatigue, you may want to apply very far from your nose. Some people go so far as their legs, socks, or even feet, as a way of overcoming olfactory fatigue, and as a way to disperse sillage without obvious attribution.

I would give a chance to Tom Of Finland. Longevity is pretty good and the scent, while being marketed as a masculine, is perfectly unisex. If you like avant-garde stuff, Comme Des Garcons EDP 2011 (melted bottle), is another one to check out.

Here are some others you might want to check...

L'Homme Sage
    Idole De Lubin

Black Saffron
    Aoud Musk

...anyway, my favorite saffron-centered fragrance is L'Eau De Tarocco. Many complain about the longevity here but I honestly get an extremely reasonable lasting (6-8 hrs).

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

If you can find it, Korres Saffron Toning Body Mist is definitely unisex and really long-lasting. Good luck tracking it down, though.

Jo Malone's Saffron Cologne Intense lasts all day on me. Love it!