Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why did Luca Turin dissapear from style?

"In fact, it smells flat, sour and yeasty, like rye bread or the exhaust of a brewery. Lancôme mixes it with a touch of vanilla and sugary maltol, adds just enough jasmine and orange flower to distinguish it from toilet-bowl cleaner, and launches it into the world portrayed by the gaunt, megadontic face of Julia Roberts. I wonder who actually recognises themselves in a fragrance like this? Are there enough sour-hearted, daft, artistically brutish, spiritually stunted creatures out there to make this a straight-up success? "

Is this the reason for Turin´s dissapearing from style?

Back to the dark ages?

The total lack of information really let me down!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why did Luca Turin dissapear from style?

I would say "no worries". A few weeks missing from a schedule isn't even a blip in the sketchy world of the fragrance industry, much less the even sketchier world of fragrance criticism.

Don't worry about industry pressure. Our little echo chamber only has meaning to a tiny corner of the fragrance world - the people who obsess over fragrance and call it art. Polo Red moves forward in larger-than life displays on Black Friday weekend, and not a peep that it was rejected from WHAT? WHAT THE HELL IS BASENOTES? The people on Style Arabia aren't worried about La Vie Est Belle. It's basically a straw woman in that market - even if it did matter.

Note that Creed has been going huge, despite Luca's continuous rejection of the house backstory, and general refusal to grant any of their offerings 5-star status.

Frankly, Luca has been helping retain a modicum of free thought in this increasingly air-bagged, hypoallergenic, and politically correct world. In such a world - one that continuously encroaches on Arabia's right to have a traditional society - I would think that keeping Luca on Style's payroll would be at the top of the list of royal family conspiracies!

Maybe you are right Red, but It is pretty odd because he was getting momentum, and the the guys at style invested a good deal in the way they presented the reviews.

But first of all: right wing, tea parties, ill-humoured, narrow-minded, are by definition, meant to win all battles but the glorious ones. They have their chance in Arabia even.

I hope that I'm overreacting but the idea that someone decided that high level criticism should be banned really piss me off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Papi Le Bon View Post
    Maybe you are right Red, but It is pretty odd because he was getting momentum, and the the guys at style invested a good deal in the way they presented the reviews.

But first of all: right wing, tea parties, ill-humoured, narrow-minded, are by definition, meant to win all battles but the glorious ones. They have their chance in Arabia even.

I hope that I'm overreacting but the idea that someone decided that high level criticism should be banned really piss me off.
    I would be rather POed myself. I just think it's one of the usual reasons. Editor's on vacation. Waiting for pictures. The usual junk. Meanwhile.....

Thank you Red. I'll do my best in the class department.

But really I don't know why there isn't more booz out there.
    Last edited by Papi Le Bon; 4th December 2013 at 04:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Still no news. Just checked Style Arabia. Dang! Now you've got me worried!

He has started projects and not finished them before. Remember the quarterly perfume reviews that went up for sale after Le Guide was published? I think two or three came out (I bought them) and then he and Tanya went on vacation...

"In fact, it smells flat, sour and yeasty, like rye bread or the exhaust of a brewery. Lancôme mixes it with a touch of vanilla and sugary maltol, adds just enough jasmine and orange flower to distinguish it from toilet-bowl cleaner, and launches it into the world portrayed by the gaunt, megadontic face of Julia Roberts. I wonder who actually recognises themselves in a fragrance like this? Are there enough sour-hearted, daft, artistically brutish, spiritually stunted creatures out there to make this a straight-up success? "
    This is exactly what makes Luca Turin completely repulsive to me.

Turin's reviews give off the air of sophistication, but in the end are just angry diatribes with flowery and provocative words.

One's which needlessly bash women and contain an aura of nastiness that is completely unnecessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Frankly, Luca has been helping retain a modicum of free thought in this increasingly air-bagged, hypoallergenic, and politically correct world.
    Luca crosses the line of political correctness, for sure, but only before crossing the line of basic human decency.

Don't wish the man any ill will and hope he is well. And understand he has a large cult following,(so no doubt this will not go down well here) but matching fragrances with one liners you could write about a handbag, the latest take on fashion, a musical recital or a tiramisu! But as they say if you can't do it, take up being a critic!

But SereneGreen has certainly pulled the curtain on the emperor and his clothes.

Knowing most of the Parfumerie Generale line fairly well.......I truly wonder what the heck he was smelly or had previously smelt before writing reviews on these perfumes. And I will restrict this to PG and not other lines I enjoy immensely for purposes of brevity.

For the 60-70 words he wrote on Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale........he not only got the perfume completely wrong (am yet to to read a review where somebody described this perfume as having a *carrot note*) and the attempt to again and again appear clever and funny was tiresome. His 18 word review for Intrigant Patchouli after Intimately Beckham for Women was non-sensical, but it was given four stars. And on and on this guide went to fill up numbers such as Cadjmere, L'eau de Circe (being called a less good version of Gucci Rush......REALLY) and the hysterical account of Louanges Profanes......if you get *sweet floral* out of a fragrance with such strong notes of incense, benzoin and Lignum wood.........then I truly wonder what I and others are smelling and he isn't!

Personally I can't see where he crossed political correct lines, as I doubt perfume critics have much to say in the world of political correctness. If he did, I didn't get that far.......and I have no love of the thought police, beyond spreading incitement to violence, bigotry, ignorance and hatred. Somehow I missed the blowing in the face of political correctness in reading one liners that had nothing to do with the perfumes in *The Guide*.

Someone once here described the nightmare of bland perfumes at airports...Pollux I think to which Kaern answered what did you expect. My response would be along the lines of rip out the last two pages of the 100 classics at the back of the book........25-40% of the 100 *classics* are found at most international airports!

What was FUNNY a few pages before Bois Blonde, was his love letter to Beyond Paradise. That did make me laugh....for all the wrong reasons!

If nothing else, in all seriousness, *The Guide* should encourage more bloggers and critics to take up writing about perfume......as Mary Poppins sang.....*anything is possible* !
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post

Luca crosses the line of political correctness, for sure, but only before crossing the line of basic human decency.
    Which way?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    He has started projects and not finished them before. Remember the quarterly perfume reviews that went up for sale after Le Guide was published? I think two or three came out (I bought them) and then he and Tanya went on vacation...
    True. If somebody offered him a good gig all of a sudden, he would jump - that's just his nature, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    This is exactly what makes Luca Turin completely repulsive to me.

Turin's reviews give off the air of sophistication, but in the end are just angry diatribes with flowery and provocative words.

One's which needlessly bash women and contain an aura of nastiness that is completely unnecessary....
    It's certainly not MY style - at least not in the fragrance world, which is a bit of a neutral zone for me. I guess I've grown used to the snark-as-a-sport which seems to have always pervaded the less controlled side of the fragrance world. I know that the enforced fluffiness of the business side is something of a ladies'-and-gentleman's agreement, but there has always been a tolerance for "flowery diatribes" outside of that, and they seem to remain very popular. I've learned not to take them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Personally I can't see where he crossed political correct lines, as I doubt perfume critics have much to say in the world of political correctness. If he did, I didn't get that far.......and I have no love of the thought police, beyond spreading incitement to violence, bigotry, ignorance and hatred. Somehow I missed the blowing in the face of political correctness in reading one liners that had nothing to do with the perfumes in *The Guide*.
    Follow him on Twitter.

I guess I've grown used to the snark-as-a-sport which seems to have always pervaded the less controlled side of the fragrance world.
    guess i'm not cultured enough to appreciate it lol, but i guess as a big figure in the community, he should set a better example.

i have no issue with one person being a mainstream spokesperson for a not-well-known (by the common consumer) industry or cause. temple grandin and i have our differences on how to go about helping autism for example, but she was never once nasty.

Which way?
    Not the good way. lol

But SereneGreen has certainly pulled the curtain on the emperor and his clothes.

thanks!

Personally I can't see where he crossed political correct lines, as I doubt perfume critics have much to say in the world of political correctness.

agree. "stop being anti-PC" is often a way to justify nastiness. no, i'm not anti-PC. but what i'm suggesting isn't PC. it's just basic decency, and maybe less pretense too.

If nothing else, in all seriousness, *The Guide* should encourage more bloggers and critics to take up writing about perfume......as Mary Poppins sang.....*anything is possible* !

Very true. Many people don't become successful in writing because of their writing talent or knowledge of the profession, but by persistence and a little (maybe a lot of) luck.

Default Why did Luca Turin dissapear from style?

It's a pity the Huddler posts haven't come back yet- the very very long thread on LT had previously dealt with all this... Boring! Not everybody must agree on everything!

I too wonder where he has gone... Even if I truly don't like the layout of Style Arabia..
    Last edited by iodine; 5th December 2013 at 02:32 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Follow him on Twitter.

Sorry Redneck Perfumisto........since *the guide* annoyed me so very much.......I doubt very much I would follow (even if I had the time) a grumpy old man writing snark on twitter.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Basenotes Plus

Maybe he'll come & tell us soon - hope he's well & happy.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Maybe he'll come & tell us soon - hope he's well & happy.
    Yes, he could state the facts and, maybe, give us at least a snatch of his thougths about this affair.

In my opinion, there are three things that are essential requirements in a good critic :

1. that they really know their stuff
    2. that they are passionate about their subject matter
    3. that they report their feelings honestly.

I think Luca has all these qualities - if he trashes your favourite scent, so be it. If he writes a three word review, so be it. I don't agree with everything he writes, and yes he can be grumpy, but I'm glad he's around as he adds another layer of interest to fragrances.

Love that review.

Lots of speculation and no one knows anything. I don't know where they'll be but you can bet you'll see more of his reviews soon enough.

Tons of great posts on twitter: https://twitter.com/lucaturin Love this one from his media gallery - "Why kids want to be airline pilots": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTiHi-0p7A

He and Tania have a baby. I also hear they're in the process of moving from Greece. Probably not the best time to be writing reviews.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th December 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    In my opinion, there are three things that are essential requirements in a good critic :

1. that they really know their stuff
    2. that they are passionate about their subject matter
    3. that they report their feelings honestly.

I think Luca has all these qualities - if he trashes your favourite scent, so be it. If he writes a three word review, so be it. I don't agree with everything he writes, and yes he can be grumpy, but I'm glad he's around as he adds another layer of interest to fragrances.
    I agree with that three conditions. I would add a fourth one: his purpose is to influence the way people see the stuff. Luca Turin is good in that department.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Love that review.

Lots of speculation and no one knows anything. I don't know where they'll be but you can bet you'll see more of his reviews soon enough.

Tons of great posts on twitter: https://twitter.com/lucaturin Love this one from his media gallery - "Why kids want to be airline pilots": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTTiHi-0p7A

He and Tania have a baby. I also hear they're in the process of moving from Greece. Probably not the best time to be writing reviews.

I also recommend to follow @lucaturin and @taniasanchez. They are smart and RT very fancy ideas as the best from @mental_floss. Appear, now and then, comments about fragances. But not a word about the gap...
    Last edited by Papi Le Bon; 6th December 2013 at 12:05 PM.

Nothing necessarily wrong with being outspoken, snarky and crushing people's most beloved perfumes under one's heel whilst insulting wearers a little. Giving Tommy Girl, Beyond Paradise and Nautica Voyage, 5, 4 stars though, perhaps making harmless readers waste money and time, is just evil.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Love that review.

They are moving to Ulm. They also are very active in twitter but not a word about the delay. That's a shortcoming of social media: you can hide an elephant just avoiding the word trunk...

Too bad.
    Last edited by Papi Le Bon; 8th December 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Is this the reason for Turin´s dissapearing from style?

Back to the dark ages?

The total lack of information really let me down!

Hi, all -

I'm Shashi, the CEO & Publisher of Style.com/Arabia. First time posting here, but I came across this thread and thought I'd update you that Luca's Message in a Bottle is very much still on. No conspiracy theories linked to any of his recent reviews — in fact, Luca's sharp wit and perspective and opinions on fragrances (whether you agree or disagree with them) are why we hired him.

Expect the next reviews to come out early in the new year.

Happy holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by shashimenon View Post
    Hi, all -

I'm Shashi, the CEO & Publisher of Style.com/Arabia. First time posting here, but I came across this thread and thought I'd update you that Luca's Message in a Bottle is very much still on. No conspiracy theories linked to any of his recent reviews — in fact, Luca's sharp wit and perspective and opinions on fragrances (whether you agree or disagree with them) are why we hired him.

Happy holidays.
    Thanks Shashi. Great site. Great news !

Blog Entries

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.

Thanks for the post, Shashi. And welcome to Basenotes! Please feel free to make yourself at home!

(But too bad on the conspiracy theories. Back to Tom Ford Grey Aliens, I guess.)

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.
    Great news, thank you!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

They are moving to Ulm
    That can't be a good sign. I'm starting to get worried about him now.

Good to know he will still publish more reviews - i went to Style.com arabia just because of him.

I have a kind of mixed thought regarding Luca Turin. I love some of his reviews, but i see a lack of coherence on his criticism sometimes. I know, as a review myself, that is very hard to not give a unbiased review of something, but i guess that if you are going to publish them you should try and at least in his book i see a clear lack of this with some brands (Cartier, for instance). But he is better than his wife Tania, that i see as a filler on the book most of times. I hate most of her Serge Lutens reviews, see them as pointless and neither interesting nor funny nor informative.

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.
    Thanks so much for coming on here, Shashi - not only for acknowledging us, which is very flattering, but also for snuffing out the speculations about Luca. I figured that you guys knew what he was all about if you weren't living in a cave for the past decade.

You have a great website and I've turned my wife onto it after browsing around and seeing the quality of material throughout.

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.
    I've been very busy these days. Thank you, Sashi, for your nice post. I'm sorry for feeding conspiracy theories, but the sudden break in the reviews publishing, seemed very odd to me. Very good news and keep that openness toward critic.
    Last edited by Papi Le Bon; 11th December 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    You have a great website and I've turned my wife onto it after browsing around and seeing the quality of material throughout.
    Absolutely. Style Arabia seems to be far more relevant to actual style, than a lot of other publications and sites that I hesitate to name. Those other publications - men's, women's, and unisex - would do well to take a long look at all the things that Style Arabia is doing right.

Sorry Redneck Perfumisto........since *the guide* annoyed me so very much.......I doubt very much I would follow (even if I had the time) a grumpy old man writing snark on twitter.
    Quite right. I think you should stick to following grumpy young women.

"That can't be a good sign. I'm starting to get worried about him now."

:-) Actually I'll be a visiting professor in the Institute of Theoretical Physics, headed by my brilliant colleague Martin Plenio. Uni-Ulm is fast becoming the European hub of Quantum Biology.

Basenotes Plus

Congrats on the new arrival!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Congrats on the new arrival!
    Thank you. Her name is Fiamma, and she turned 11 months old yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post

:-) Actually I'll be a visiting professor in the Institute of Theoretical Physics, headed by my brilliant colleague Martin Plenio. Uni-Ulm is fast becoming the European hub of Quantum Biology.

Fiamma is a beautiful name!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

They are moving to Ulm. They also are very active in twitter but not a word about the delay. That's a shortcoming of social media: you can hide an elephant just avoiding the word trunk...

Too bad.
    Hey, nobody asked.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Oh, herzlich willkommen! Let's do lunch some time - I'm currently in Tübingen (in Quantum American Studies ).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Wow an update from the horse's (Style.com/Arabia Editor) mouth! And "they" say BN isn't influential?

Maybe we should start throwing out conspiracy theories for other things we wished to have confirmed/denied?!?!

Thanks for the update Shashi & Luca!

Basenotes Plus

Or perhaps better still passionate and kind perfume makers who give us exquisite scents that push the boundaries and broaden our minds.

Blog Entries

Lord, I wish someone would have said this to me years ago. I might have gotten a clue! As it is, I'm just thankful that the universe sometimes chooses to leave survivors with beautiful scars.

Contratulations! Sounds like the mayor of Planckberg has spotted your bag of flakes and nuggets, and wants your mine in the city limits. Smart move.

Thank you. Her name is Fiamma, and she turned 11 months old yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post

Fiamma is a beautiful name!
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Oh, herzlich willkommen! Let's do lunch some time - I'm currently in Tübingen (in Quantum American Studies ).
    Clearly you've been paying attention to population inversion, laser-like focus, and excited states. The question is, to borrow from Feynman, can we safely say that nobody understands quantum American politics?

The archive of all Luca Turin's Message in a Bottle columns is here (in English and in Arabic):
    http://thefragrantman.com/2013/11/05...een-published/

A link to a recent interview with him on Greece, Smell and the Future of Science is (in English and Greek) here:
    http://thefragrantman.com/2013/11/13...re-of-science/
    Last edited by Jordan88888888; 14th December 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Hey, nobody asked.
    That's true!

I was engaged in duty (and in being sociable) until yesterday, when I saw the happy development of this thread.

No doubt I made a soap opera from the gap! The review's abstinence hit me hard.

Best wishes and happy holidays!

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.
    Thank you for the note!

I agree that Luca Turin's comments are a bit barbed at times. He is a critic. Film critics, wine critics and restaurant critics do the same thing.

He does not write critiques for the masses in the same way wine critics don't write for the average cheap wine drinker.

I certainly don't agree with everything Turin says, but I enjoy reading just to get his take. I don't slavishly agree with his comments. For instance, I adore Boucheron's Trouble, which was lambasted in The Guide.

Thanks to Shashi and Luca for checking in!
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th December 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi, all -

Happy holidays.
    Great and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I agree that Luca Turin's comments are a bit barbed at times. He is a critic. Film critics, wine critics and restaurant critics do the same thing.

He does not write critiques for the masses in the same way wine critics don't write for the average cheap wine drinker.
    A bit barbed? He often chooses to lob Molotov cocktails instead of giving index finger wags. He can be entertaining at times, but he also comes off like he's just digging into it mostly for the sake of having fun. I'd find him more entertaining if he was toned down to a more carefully crafted dry wit, akin to a Dr. Frasier Crane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Nothing necessarily wrong with being outspoken, snarky and crushing people's most beloved perfumes under one's heel whilst insulting wearers a little. Giving Tommy Girl, Beyond Paradise and Nautica Voyage, 5, 4 stars though, perhaps making harmless readers waste money and time, is just evil.
    EDIT: I don't know about "evil" but his opinions are certainly his own. A great thing about fragrance appreciation is that opinions will vary considerably from person to person. I disagree with many of Mr. Turin's opinions about quality and relevance of fragrance, but I treasure the fact that he offers a definite point of view that he is willing to express directly and without much reservation. His reviews are after all only his opinions. His writing is witty and very fun to read. His knowledge of the chemistry is an added plus and I wish he would express these views more often. It's great that he appears here on BNotes from time to time.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 2nd January 2014 at 11:34 PM.

I'm going to say this in the most simple terms. Anyone who disagrees or goes against Luca is 95% WRONG. There really is not much more to it than that. SereneGreen, Rüssel, and Sea Roses please, enlighten us with a couple of your reviews and let us remark upon what you come up with.
    And to you Luca, every Monday and Tuesday since early November I check StyleArabia.com with the hopes of seeing three more gems. Then I go to your Twitter account. Alas, I have to write that what they say about absence is entirely true! I know you are busy with much more important things, but please, come back soon.....
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 7th January 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Disagreement is fine, civilised disagreement is always nicer 'though!

Quote Originally Posted by Indagnacious View Post
    I'm going to say this in the most simple terms. Anyone who disagree or goes against Luca is 95% WRONG. There really is not much more to it than that. SereneGreen, Rüssel, and Sea Roses please, enlighten us with a couple of your reviews and let us remark upon what you come up with. Really, until then, pipe the F*#K down......
    Unfortunately so many people agree with this sentiment.

Human beings are social animals, very tribally aware by nature and we instinctively search for a leader, a hero, a pack leader, a "rainmaker". Somebody who can decipher these things for us. I love reading informed opinions. Mr. Turin's happen to be uniquely informed and I like to see them here. Luca Turin is considered a shaman of sorts, an opinion maker, a flawless thinker to hand over your mantel to - everyone should listen to him closely. I like what he writes and admire his wit. But, because I learned to think for myself now and then, especially when it comes to matters of personal choice, I can say that I am happy to disagree with the opinion of Mr. Turin on about 20% of what he says. I rarely disagree with the content of his experience, but I like to sort these things out for myself if I can. I don't think he is wrong, nor do I think he is right. He obviously couldn't care at all about what I might think, and why should he. I cherish his right to his educated views and am thrilled to read them when I can. I enjoy my right to think for myself in these matters of opinion, or taste - I highly recommend it. It all begins with respectful acceptance of what is already out there and then ask yourself a question. Then another question. Answers will come. Viola, thinking with the self begins. It is a rewarding experience.

Basenotes Plus

I'm only about 76.4% wrong.

In response to Ipp
    Meh, I think civilized is a negotiable term, thus the true allure and charm of Luca. He walks the line of insult and praise so very well! Let us summarize; A few became offended at the offensive. I mean imagine that. A valued member was asking about LT's whereabouts, a completely useful and highly relevant topic. A couple of others, mostly off-topic, decided to quibble in....which of course is all well and good and one of the highlights of a site such as Basenotes. I think "repulsive" was the term (SereneGreen) and "grumpy old man snark" (Sea Roses). Yes, I think offending is the point of some of Luca's reviews. Not much humor in these members I see. It's ok, but let us not miss an opportunity to criticize and get offended. Funny. I find that in and of itself worthy of a comment, that's all. Maybe "pipe the F down" was a little brazen on my part, I admit, but I swear it was bathed in loving undertones! What's that about casting the first stone SereneGreen? And my dear Ipp, yes, you English are so prim and proper. I love you guys, seriously I do! Sometimes it's hard to believe you produced such brilliant and non-civilised acts such as the Sex Pistols, Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand, etc, etc,... Oh the humanity.
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 7th January 2014 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Unfortunately so many people agree with this sentiment.

Human beings are social animals, very tribally aware by nature and we instinctively search for a leader, a hero, a pack leader, a "rainmaker". Somebody who can decipher these things for us. I love reading informed opinions. Mr. Turin's happen to be uniquely informed and I like to see them here. Luca Turin is considered a shaman of sorts, an opinion maker, a flawless thinker to hand over your mantel to - everyone should listen to him closely. I like what he writes and admire his wit. But, because I learned to think for myself now and then, especially when it comes to matters of personal choice, I can say that I am happy to disagree with the opinion of Mr. Turin on about 20% of what he says. I rarely disagree with the content of his experience, but I like to sort these things out for myself if I can. I don't think he is wrong, nor do I think he is right. He obviously couldn't care at all about what I might think, and why should he. I cherish his right to his educated views and am thrilled to read them when I can. I enjoy my right to think for myself in these matters of opinion, or taste - I highly recommend it. It all begins with respectful acceptance of what is already out there and then ask yourself a question. Then another question. Answers will come. Viola, thinking with the self begins. It is a rewarding experience.
    Don't ever stop posting.

for swap/sale:

I'm going to say this in the most simple terms. Anyone who disagrees or goes against Luca is 95% WRONG. There really is not much more to it than that. SereneGreen, Rüssel, and Sea Roses please, enlighten us with a couple of your reviews and let us remark upon what you come up with. Really, until then, pipe the F*#K down.
    And to you Luca, every Monday and Tuesday since early November I check StyleArabia.com with the hopes of seeing three more gems. Then I go to your Twitter account. Alas, I have to write that what they say about absence is entirely true! I know you are busy with much more important things, but please, come back soon.....
    To review a reviewer one isn't required to write reviews. Where are Turin's perfumes?

I can tell you that Nautica Voyage, Tommy Girl and Beyond Paradise are awful. You can of course choose to wear them anyway as your favourite reviewer likes them.

Basenotes Plus

And my dear Ipp, yes, you English are so prim and proper. I love you guys, seriously I do! Sometimes it's hard to believe you produced such brilliant and non-civilised acts such as the Sex Pistols, Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand, etc, etc,... Oh the humanity.

When I go to see Russell Brand on stage, the kind of language expected and experienced is different to that which we normally expect to see in a community discussion forum.
    Last edited by lpp; 7th January 2014 at 06:35 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    To review a reviewer one isn't required to write reviews. Where are Turin's perfumes?

I can tell you that Nautica Voyage, Tommy Girl and Beyond Paradise are awful. You can of course choose to wear them anyway as your favourite reviewer likes them.
    Horse races, among other amusing frivolities, are made possible by differences of opinion.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

"To review a reviewer one isn't required to write reviews. Where are Turin's perfumes?"

It is true, anyone can write about perfumes, but anyone can attempt to work on a car as well. That doesn't mean they are a mechanic. You should really do your research. Turin is a biophysicist, a scientist who knows more about the sense of smell than you, myself or 99% of the people on Basenotes combined. He's worked at MIT, he was in charge of a bespoke perfumery company to which he recoiled (this is in Perfumes The Guide by the way), and has published so many works on the sense of smell for various Universities it is silly to even think of questioning his background and understanding. Because of his remarkable ability to describe perfumes and put them into words so succinctly is the very reason sites like this have gained the popularity they have. He's a pioneer. He wrote the worlds first perfume guide. Who wrote about perfumes in this way before him? No one. What other great reviewers are there? Chandler Burr, Katie Puckrik, Persolaise? Come on, they have all praised him. I would love to see anyone other than maybe an actual accomplished perfumer sit down and dissect a perfume, hone in on it, and describe it the way in which he does. Watch a TED presentation for God's sakes. It shouldn't take you more than five minutes to realize who is an authority in this realm. There are people who recognize genius and there are people who don't, ahem. If anyone is qualified to comment on this subject, perfumer or not, I assure you it is him.
    Last edited by Indagnacious; 7th January 2014 at 07:56 PM.

"When I go to see Russell Brand on stage, the kind of language expected and experienced is different to that which we normally expect to see in a community discussion forum."

Yes, I admit I got carried away with that one and wholeheartedly have no problem editing that out! However, pushing the envelope does seem to make things a little less mundane....a little more exciting. And for that reason, I applaud everyone whether they agree or not.

I'm going to say this in the most simple terms. Anyone who disagrees or goes against Luca is 95% WRONG. There really is not much more to it than that.

Well, your serious man crush aside, while he may know more about the chemistry and history of fragrances, and have more "behind the scenes" knowledge than I do (which is why I enjoy reading his views), he doesn't have better taste than I do.

Fragrance is a very personal thing - I don't wear something because of any of the background or technical brilliance involved, or because of anyone promoting or endorsing something. I wear something if I think it smells great. And I can say 100% of the time, that I know what I think smells nice - and Luca Turin (1) doesn't care what I think smells nice and (2) wouldn't be 100% or even 95% correct in guessing if I will like something.