Default Re: Sample of the Day - December 2013

Today I tested:

Hermes Eau Mandarine Ambree
    Tom Ford Black Orchid

and frankly enjoyed both.
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Blog Entries

Today l tried lncense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio.

This is pretty much straight-up frankincense all the way. The opening has the lemony aspect very much to the fore, along with a woody note, but it settles quickly into a deep & contemplative incense with an ambery undertone, & stays there. Eight hours in it's very close to the skin, & there's something sweet in the base; not vanilla-sweet, but perhaps a hint of very sweet tobacco?

This one definitely lives up to its name. lt's certainly a quality incense, but l'm not sure l love it as much as the more complex lncense Extreme. l must do a side-by-side comparison at some point.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Shiso by Aftelier

Banned
    Blog Entries

THX Teardrop..
    SSS really needs to sell broadwide instead of it's few locations..

Hi, folks. I have in hand a peel-off sampler from L'Artisan. Three new fragrances, Amour Nocturne, Dèliria, Skin on Skin. The text says: "Explosions d'Emotions is a thrilling new collection of three exceptional Eaux de Parum translating the extraordinary emotion power of fragrance...Three prefumes, three emotions. Original, daring and unique."

I really like this house.

Amour Nocture (The Intimacy of the Night). Okay, I'm moaning. Sorry. What's in this? I'm guessing Patchouli, musk, maybe amber. Some kind of floral. Totally intoxicating. Looking it up. Fragrantica says it's a woody/floral/musk. The wood is cedar, the flower is orchid. There's milk and caramel and, uh, gunpowder. Somehow it works. Must get a real sample.

Dèliria (Exhiliration of the Senses). Nice. A musky/fruity affair. Maybe some apple. Fragrantica says it's "fantastic contrast between metallic, rhum and gourmand notes of toffee apple and candy floss." It's a floral fruity gourmand containing sweet, metallic, rum, fruity, woody accords. Not for me, but nice.

Skin on Skin. (A wanton embrace). A leather, musky, but also somewhat sweet concoction. Kind of dirty, as one would expect, but it's also very nice; intoxicating. Not for me, I don't think, but well done. Fragrantica says it's: musky, powdery, leathy, floral, whiskey. "The intertwining of saffron, whisky, lavender and rose, melts into musks and skin effects."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Is that Bulgari's latest?
    No, I think their latest was Mon Jasmin Noir L'eau Exquise, on the female side of scents. And of course, Aqva Amara(if it's out yet) on the men's side. If not, BLV Man Extreme.

Wearing Bulletproof by Tokyo Milk. Cheapy or not, this one is pretty damned interesting. Very much enjoying wearing this sample right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Wearing Bulletproof by Tokyo Milk. Cheapy or not, this one is pretty damned interesting. Very much enjoying wearing this sample right now.
    Please do tell us more of your impressions of this one, OctaVariuM? l remember this one catching my eye somewhere before, but there are no reviews in the directory.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Please do tell us more of your impressions of this one, OctaVariuM? l remember this one catching my eye somewhere before, but there are no reviews in the directory.
    Well, after just the one wearing I'm very impressed. At first it reminded me of an amber scent with some more stuff going on, but I couldn't really figure it out. To be honest, I still can't figure the scent out, since I am not familiar with some of the notes like Ebony wood. That being said, the star from my experience is the dry down, which smells kind of similar to Chergui to me, but not exactly. Again, I don't really know why or what causes that, since they don't share notes, but it is just the impression I get. It has a bit of a dark feel that I really dig, and is a little dirty around the edges with a slightly sweet, smooth middle. It is hard to describe really, at least for me off of the one wearing. Usually I need to do a lot more analyzing!

I guess the downline is this is strangely interesting, and not at all what I was expecting when deadidol sent it to me along with a bunch of ambers.

Anyway, I really like it and I think I'll wear it again very soon....maybe today.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 21st December 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Bulletproof is essentially a mock-incense fragrance in that there's a slightly raspy smoke effect. It's basically a kind of coconut-infused tea.

Reviews tend to be a bit wacky on this one as TM is a line carried by Sephora. The result is that folks who wear the kind of stuff Sephora sell (chemical flankery things) don't know what to do with this line, and so therefore it gets a lot of "this is weird" or "smells bad"--simply because it doesn't smell like Allure Noire Blanche Sport or whatever. TM have an extensive line, but only a handful are worthy of exploration--this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Bulletproof is essentially a mock-incense fragrance in that there's a slightly raspy smoke effect. It's basically a kind of coconut-infused tea.

Reviews tend to be a bit wacky on this one as TM is a line carried by Sephora. The result is that folks who wear the kind of stuff Sephora sell (chemical flankery things) don't know what to do with this line, and so therefore it gets a lot of "this is weird" or "smells bad"--simply because it doesn't smell like Allure Noire Blanche Sport or whatever. TM have an extensive line, but only a handful are worthy of exploration--this is one of them.
    Thanks for the reply deadidol. I have to say you threw me off by including it with the others! I'll have to give it another go and not search for amber this time. Still really liked it though, especially for the price.

Blog Entries

Thanks, OctaVariuM! A dark & dirty version of Chergui sounds well worth a sniff!

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Chanel Coco Noir
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

Banned
    Blog Entries

West Side by Bond- from a splash vial
    it has been 3 hours and I detect it slightly..
    Light Florals with a caramel/vanilla drydown..
    Unisex though leaning more towards feminine..

splash vials suck!!