Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - December 2013

Today l tried L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle.

Sniffing the vial, a memory from my teenage years comes flooding back; removing my make up with Johnson's Baby Lotion, back in those heady days when l was first allowed to wear it. The similarity between the scents is striking. On my skin, l get just the barest whiff of heliotrope in the initial phase, & then it's mainly a smooth, sweet, soft floral blend with a slightly cool, mineral feel. The floral notes are hard to pick out, but there's possibly some violet in there, & the tiniest touch of powder. The overall effect is kind of "white with a hint of pink" if that makes any sense; like apple blossom in the snow. ln that sense, it seems more early spring than winter for me. lt continues in fairly linear fashion, seemingly with low projection, but giving off little wafts every now & then. lt's still going nine hours in.

l'm not sure what l think about this one yet. l expected more powder & almonds, & also that it would feel more of a comfort scent. For me it's a little too cool, pretty & ethereal to make me feel warm & comforted on a cold winter's day. l'll try it again when spring is just around the corner, & see how it grabs me then.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - December 2013

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Today l tried L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle.

Sniffing the vial, a memory from my teenage years comes flooding back; removing my make up with Johnson's Baby Lotion, back in those heady days when l was first allowed to wear it. The similarity between the scents is striking. On my skin, l get just the barest whiff of heliotrope in the initial phase, & then it's mainly a smooth, sweet, soft floral blend with a slightly cool, mineral feel. The floral notes are hard to pick out, but there's possibly some violet in there, & the tiniest touch of powder. The overall effect is kind of "white with a hint of pink" if that makes any sense; like apple blossom in the snow. ln that sense, it seems more early spring than winter for me. lt continues in fairly linear fashion, seemingly with low projection, but giving off little wafts every now & then. lt's still going nine hours in.

l'm not sure what l think about this one yet. l expected more powder & almonds, & also that it would feel more of a comfort scent. For me it's a little too cool, pretty & ethereal to make me feel warm & comforted on a cold winter's day. l'll try it again when spring is just around the corner, & see how it grabs me then.
    I tried this one a while back and I agree that it has a cool feel. Actually, I find that to be true of a lot of the FM's. As a result, I can't quite decide whether I actually like any of them enough to own. I find myself often feeling like I have a question when I wear them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I tried this one a while back and I agree that it has a cool feel. Actually, I find that to be true of a lot of the FM's. As a result, I can't quite decide whether I actually like any of them enough to own. I find myself often feeling like I have a question when I wear them.
    lnteresting, danie. Did you think that about Musc Ravageur? l find that one especially warm & comforting.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

lnteresting, danie. Did you think that about Musc Ravageur? l find that one especially warm & comforting.
    I haven't yet. Next time I visit Barney's I will put this one on my test list. I have mainly tested his florals so far.

teardrop, you and I have the same impression!!! I always thought this one smelled of Johnson's Baby Oil I really don't get much else from it, other than a very soft heliotrope and a tiny dose of iris (the cool I think). It is not very comforting to me either.

Hmmmm. I like it. It is cool, but I like that, and I do find it Almondy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    teardrop, you and I have the same impression!!! I always thought this one smelled of Johnson's Baby Oil I really don't get much else from it, other than a very soft heliotrope and a tiny dose of iris (the cool I think). It is not very comforting to me either.
    Thanks cello, glad it's not just me!

The quite recent YSL L'Homme flanker in EDP/Intense concentration. Expected a "forgettable fad"-type of flanker, discovered a a surprisingly heady, yet not overpowering, nor excessively sweet ginger-floral gourmand. Far more inspired than expected, warm and even with slight edginess wrapped in a soothing, creamy smoothness, at least in comparison to most contemporary fragrances.

Blog Entries

Today l tried Malle's Une Rose.

Yes, this is a real, sweet, velvety, true rose right off the bat. For the first hour or so, it has a kind of old-fashioned feel, although l'm not sure what note produces that "slightly on the turn" smell that l get from some old vintage perfumes. After this though, that feeling disappears, & the deep, dark, wine-like red rose comes through in full force. This rose is truly, stunningly swoonworthy & seductive, underscored by something very slightly earthy & animalic. This base accord smells to me like ambergris, & reminds me a little of the "Tauerade". lt also bears a similarity to the base of Goutal's Un Matin d'Orage, but overlaid with the rose, instead of those dewy white flowers. l don't know what truffles smell like, so l can't say if l smell them here, but l'm guessing that the truffle note is what lends this rose its earthy darkness. The scent is still going strong twelve hours in, & the rose is very much still there.

l have to agree with the many positive reviews of this one. lt really is beautiful, & certainly a must-try for any lover of roses.

Well done, teardrop - I think you've got an excellent handle on it! It's the truffle note that I sometimes perceive as tarry, but then other times, better times, it's deep and earthy and ...well, dirty, but it's the good, healthy, fertile and alive sort of dirty that makes it so special. And I believe it's the same accord that produces the "wine dregs" effect. Otherwise, it's a very rich rose, but not much more. Are you familiar with Velvet Rose from Sonoma Scent Studio? I think of that as "Une Rose sans Dirt" ...so there's a good rose rec for anyone who wants to love Une Rose but can't take that truffley, earthy drydown. Or the price.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Thanks, Evangeline! l'm not familiar with that SSS one, although l do have samples of some of her other scents on their way to me, funnily enough. For myself, l actually prefer my roses with a bit of dirt & darkness. The price is an issue, though...

Lovely review Teardrop! I think I'll try this one again when it gets colder. I am wondering if it was the heat that made it turn sour on my skin last month. I adored it when I tried it in Seattle so that could well be the trouble as it was a good bit cooler there at the time.

Evangeline, thank you for the SSS recommend! Will check that one out for certain.

^^ You're welcome! The SSS perfumer is Laurie Erickson, she's very talented and she sells samples, so by all means, sample her stuff! Velvet Rose is a very luscious, sumptuous and rich red rose danieq, and I can't imagine why I haven't already suggested it in one of the current-ish rose threads since it absolutely belongs there.

http://www.sonomascentstudio.com/index.shtml

Which ones are you getting, teardrop?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

l'm getting Winter Woods, lncense Pure & Tabac Aurea, plus a decant of Champagne de Bois; l got a sample of this in a lovely basenoter's goody bag, & adored it. l would have got a FB but Laurie doesn't ship to the UK, & it seems to be a website exclusive.

Thanks, danie! Sounds like the temperature may have been a factor for you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tried Pegasus from Parfums De Marly earlier..

First hour or so was very synthetic heliotrope and lavender I think..
    The basenotes were non existent..
    I will give it another try later in the week..
    I do have a slight cold which could have inteferred with my perception..

l'm getting Winter Woods, lncense Pure & Tabac Aurea, plus a decant of Champagne de Bois; l got a sample of this in a lovely basenoter's goody bag, & adored it. l would have got a FB but Laurie doesn't ship to the UK, & it seems to be a website exclusive.
    I haven't smelled the others but Tabac Aurea is a nice one! I was prompted to order it by a dream, actually. I think I told the story here a long time ago, but I dreamt of a gorgeous crystal bottle in an ancient antique/curiosities shop. I lifted the great big cut crystal stopper and the most divine, magnificent aroma instantly filled the entire shop, making me and the few other customers gasp with pleasure and delight - we were all instantly, utterly entranced, completely smitten. The etched label read Tabac Aurea, and I very deliberately made a point to remember the name upon waking, which I did, then I googled it, found it at Sonoma Scent Studio and ordered a sample. Now honestly, it didn't quite live up to the perfume of my dream, lol (but wouldn't that be the most excellent thing ever?! ) but it is a very beautiful amber, smooth and warm ...very nice, but I really love it on Tony more than I enjoy wearing it myself. Though I should find it and give it another go ...'cuz ya never know.

Actually, I did have a sample of Champagne de Bois at one point but I can't recall my impressions, other than a vague memory of No 22-type aldehydes, but with something crisp, like green tea, perhaps? And vetiver ...maybe. I remember liking it, I just don't quite remember what it smelled like. :\

I'm suddenly very drawn to those bottles ...I should order a few new samples, refresh my memory. I loved Vintage Rose, but it appears to have been replaced by Rose Volupté ("a luxurious plummy rose with a rich base of woods, amber, spices, and labdanum. A warm and long lasting ambery rose") ...interesting, and really firms up the need to re-sample. I hope it's at least as good as Vintage Rose, but it'll be interesting to sniff the do-over, at any rate.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 4th December 2013 at 02:02 AM.

Blog Entries

That's a great story about Tabac Aurea, E! Based on your previous recs to me, l'm pretty sure that if you think l'll like it, then l definitely will!

Champagne de Bois came off to me as primarily a thick, buttery amber. l didn't really get any aldehydes, but it was only a tiny dab sample. lt'll be interesting to see if spraying makes a difference.

l will try some of Laurie's florals at some stage; the violet one sounds good, too.

My samples & decant just arrived today from STC! l will probably wear Champagne de Bois today & hope l still love it. l do love how they present their samples by the way; these came in an adorable box with a perfume bottle printed on it. Cute!

I will be curious to see your perceptions on Champagne de Bois, teardrop. I sampled it a while back, due to reading similarities with my beloved Bois des Iles. But I did not really see a huge similarity. It was nice though. And I did get a huge dose of aldehydes in the opening, similar in dose to the No. 22 reference by Mrs. E. Too much for me, actually (and I am a Chanel girl even). But No. 22 has too much also for me, one of the few Chanels that I cannot get along with. Champagne de Bois is a lovely perfume though.

Blog Entries

Hi, cello! l still don't get much in the way of aldehydes, despite spraying this today. Perhaps l'm anosmic to something, or maybe what my nose interprets as an impression of spiced citrus is actually the aldehydes. For me this is still a gorgeous woody amber, with the amber steadily becoming thicker & more buttery as it dries down. Kind of like a lighter version of Amber Absolute.

l have a sample of Bois des lsles on the way, so it'll be interesting to compare, although l don't get gingerbread in CdB, which l've read is a prominent note in BdI.

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Thurs 5th) l tried Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie.

My response on first applying this is; "Wow! Big, animalic, leathery floral!" l'm sure there's some cumin in this; the opening has a wonderfully dirty undertone, without being at all offensive. After an hour or two, it all quietens down considerably, into a soft, creamy-powdery, slightly peppery violet with just a hint of soapiness. The base is musky & suede-like in texture.

l'm not sure what cassie or mimosa smell like, but l think they are what creates that creamy-powdery floral accord that l smell in this perfume. lt's great, but after that first couple of hours, l find this a much quieter fragrance than l expected, though it's lasted around ten hours on me. l can't wait to find out how it blooms in warmer weather!

- - - Updated - - -

Today (Sat 7th) l tried Winter Woods by Sonoma Scent Studio.

At the outset, l am wondering if some of SSS's scents share a similar base, as this does smell quite a bit like Champagne de Bois in its buttery, ambery sweetness. As it develops though, this takes a much more woody path; the most prominent wood being pine, with a slightly burnt aspect. lt's resinous, but still sweet. Four or five hours in, there's a little vetiver, & later on a softly animalic base of castoreum along with labdanum. Nine hours in it's faded to a skin scent.

This, for me, isn't a "wow" perfume, but it is a very pleasantly comforting scent, & aptly named. l can imagine it being a perfect scent for relaxing beside a roaring fire on a snowy winter's night.
    Last edited by teardrop; 5th December 2013 at 08:26 PM.

Sugi
    I've been longing to check this out. Bright, fresh, unisex. Wonderful bright cypress opening with a touch of camphor to it, but nothing like the big hit from Hinoki. Dries down to a bright cypress and iris. I thought that was the end and that the scent was very short lived, but when I got home it had blossomed again with the iris, cedar and vetiver becoming beautifully radiant.
    While I walked around I thought it was one that I liked, but didn't really need to get a FB, but I think I am going to end up with a bottle sooner rather than later. Just out of interest I tried Hinoki beside it, and it makes Hinoki seem like quite a dark, potent beast. I think Sugi is far more accessible. How many woody scents can CdG make me buy...

Blog Entries

Today l tried Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio.

This smells a little fruity in the vial, but on skin, it's a straight-up, dry, unsmoked tobacco, with a leathery undertone. After an hour or so, it's a little softer & smokier, but there's no sweetness at all until around four hours in. Even then, the sweetness is very slight, & not at all powdery. Overall, a fairly linear tobacco fragrance, recommended if you're looking for a non-sweet version, & it's still going softly eleven hours in.

For myself, l would prefer a little more sweetness, & l look forward to trying Tobacco Vanille, to see if it delivers what l'm looking for.

TV is definitely on the sweet side, Teardrop! Too sweet for me but perhaps it will be closer to what you are looking for? Have you tried Field Notes From Paris by Ineke?
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    TV is definitely on the sweet side, Teardrop! Too sweet for me but perhaps it will be closer to what you are looking for? Have you tried Field Notes From Paris by Ineke?
    No l haven't, but thanks for the tip! Off to look it up now...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Straight to Heaven By Kilian
    Very bland skin scent..
    This one is a joke.
    After 2 hours you have to sniff your wrist to pick up any kind of a scent

Interesting, Tony. I found it to be somewhat similar to Mon Jasmin Noir. But haven't sniffed it in a while.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Guerlain Rose Barbare

I hadn't tested this scent out in awhile so tested it today to refresh my memory.

I like it. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for roses or there is something in it that has me continuously wanting to explore it further. Lots of aldehydes at the top with sharp notes that really catch you off guard. The rose is in fact the center of attention here and everything is done to highlight it. It's a very well done rose, bright and embracing, but not mysterious. Honey comes in later on and the sharp notes/aldeyhes wear off as it continues on. It has an authentic feel throughout which i enjoyed (it is Guerlain of course) but the overall scent is rather short lived (5 hours).
    This is one of the lesser talked about Guerlains in the L'At et le Matiere line and I understand where many come from, it's not very typical of a Guerlain scent, it's underwhelming and didn't promise what one expected heading in. But it is a very good scent that I rather enjoyed. I had expected more, but when spending more time with this one I came to appreciate it for what it is and does. The price also deters many, being part of that line means big bucks are needed to obtain a full bottle.

An overall solid rose based scent that I think rose lovers should go try.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Interesting, Tony. I found it to be somewhat similar to Mon Jasmin Noir. But haven't sniffed it in a while.
    Is that Bulgari's latest?

Was given a sample of Eclat de Jasmin by Armani Prive with my purchases at the Armani boutique yesterday. Very nice.
    (1563)
    Last edited by hednic; 14th December 2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

canuck21, Rose Barbare is, indeed, a great chypre rose. I usually dislike honey in perfumes, but here it doesn't annoy me. It's interesting how my perception of the scent changes depending on the weather. In hot days, the patchouli is very strong on me. On other days, the tart rose takes over and that's when I really love it.

I am trying Grossmith Hasu No Hana today. Hmmm..... No doubt, it is masterfully done. I can see why some people rave about it. If a fragrance has a color, Hasu No Hana would be golden honey. It is actually smooth and not sharp at all. I expected some sharpness from its being described as a chypre. I know honey is not listed as a note, but I can't help thinking it is exactly honey that I smell. The cedar and vetiver are well blended. In fact, no note stands apart. Of all the flowers, I feel the jasmine the best. Very nice and surprisingly modern. This was my introduction to the house.

Testing vintage Bal a Versailles PDT for the second time ever. I still don't like it. There is this musty urine odor that bothers me at first and then it dries down to the urinal cake generic floral that is sickening. It does have excellent longevity.

Today I tested:

Hermes Eau Mandarine Ambree
    Tom Ford Black Orchid

and frankly enjoyed both.

Blog Entries

Today l tried lncense Pure by Sonoma Scent Studio.

This is pretty much straight-up frankincense all the way. The opening has the lemony aspect very much to the fore, along with a woody note, but it settles quickly into a deep & contemplative incense with an ambery undertone, & stays there. Eight hours in it's very close to the skin, & there's something sweet in the base; not vanilla-sweet, but perhaps a hint of very sweet tobacco?

This one definitely lives up to its name. lt's certainly a quality incense, but l'm not sure l love it as much as the more complex lncense Extreme. l must do a side-by-side comparison at some point.

Banned
    Blog Entries

THX Teardrop..
    SSS really needs to sell broadwide instead of it's few locations..

Hi, folks. I have in hand a peel-off sampler from L'Artisan. Three new fragrances, Amour Nocturne, Dèliria, Skin on Skin. The text says: "Explosions d'Emotions is a thrilling new collection of three exceptional Eaux de Parum translating the extraordinary emotion power of fragrance...Three prefumes, three emotions. Original, daring and unique."

I really like this house.

Amour Nocture (The Intimacy of the Night). Okay, I'm moaning. Sorry. What's in this? I'm guessing Patchouli, musk, maybe amber. Some kind of floral. Totally intoxicating. Looking it up. Fragrantica says it's a woody/floral/musk. The wood is cedar, the flower is orchid. There's milk and caramel and, uh, gunpowder. Somehow it works. Must get a real sample.

Dèliria (Exhiliration of the Senses). Nice. A musky/fruity affair. Maybe some apple. Fragrantica says it's "fantastic contrast between metallic, rhum and gourmand notes of toffee apple and candy floss." It's a floral fruity gourmand containing sweet, metallic, rum, fruity, woody accords. Not for me, but nice.

Skin on Skin. (A wanton embrace). A leather, musky, but also somewhat sweet concoction. Kind of dirty, as one would expect, but it's also very nice; intoxicating. Not for me, I don't think, but well done. Fragrantica says it's: musky, powdery, leathy, floral, whiskey. "The intertwining of saffron, whisky, lavender and rose, melts into musks and skin effects."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Is that Bulgari's latest?
    No, I think their latest was Mon Jasmin Noir L'eau Exquise, on the female side of scents. And of course, Aqva Amara(if it's out yet) on the men's side. If not, BLV Man Extreme.

Wearing Bulletproof by Tokyo Milk. Cheapy or not, this one is pretty damned interesting. Very much enjoying wearing this sample right now.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Wearing Bulletproof by Tokyo Milk. Cheapy or not, this one is pretty damned interesting. Very much enjoying wearing this sample right now.
    Please do tell us more of your impressions of this one, OctaVariuM? l remember this one catching my eye somewhere before, but there are no reviews in the directory.

Please do tell us more of your impressions of this one, OctaVariuM? l remember this one catching my eye somewhere before, but there are no reviews in the directory.
    Well, after just the one wearing I'm very impressed. At first it reminded me of an amber scent with some more stuff going on, but I couldn't really figure it out. To be honest, I still can't figure the scent out, since I am not familiar with some of the notes like Ebony wood. That being said, the star from my experience is the dry down, which smells kind of similar to Chergui to me, but not exactly. Again, I don't really know why or what causes that, since they don't share notes, but it is just the impression I get. It has a bit of a dark feel that I really dig, and is a little dirty around the edges with a slightly sweet, smooth middle. It is hard to describe really, at least for me off of the one wearing. Usually I need to do a lot more analyzing!

I guess the downline is this is strangely interesting, and not at all what I was expecting when deadidol sent it to me along with a bunch of ambers.

Anyway, I really like it and I think I'll wear it again very soon....maybe today.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 21st December 2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Sorry for the delay in responding. Bulletproof is essentially a mock-incense fragrance in that there's a slightly raspy smoke effect. It's basically a kind of coconut-infused tea.

Reviews tend to be a bit wacky on this one as TM is a line carried by Sephora. The result is that folks who wear the kind of stuff Sephora sell (chemical flankery things) don't know what to do with this line, and so therefore it gets a lot of "this is weird" or "smells bad"--simply because it doesn't smell like Allure Noire Blanche Sport or whatever. TM have an extensive line, but only a handful are worthy of exploration--this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Bulletproof is essentially a mock-incense fragrance in that there's a slightly raspy smoke effect. It's basically a kind of coconut-infused tea.

Reviews tend to be a bit wacky on this one as TM is a line carried by Sephora. The result is that folks who wear the kind of stuff Sephora sell (chemical flankery things) don't know what to do with this line, and so therefore it gets a lot of "this is weird" or "smells bad"--simply because it doesn't smell like Allure Noire Blanche Sport or whatever. TM have an extensive line, but only a handful are worthy of exploration--this is one of them.
    Thanks for the reply deadidol. I have to say you threw me off by including it with the others! I'll have to give it another go and not search for amber this time. Still really liked it though, especially for the price.

Blog Entries

Thanks, OctaVariuM! A dark & dirty version of Chergui sounds well worth a sniff!

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Chanel Coco Noir

Banned
    Blog Entries

West Side by Bond- from a splash vial
    it has been 3 hours and I detect it slightly..
    Light Florals with a caramel/vanilla drydown..
    Unisex though leaning more towards feminine..

splash vials suck!!