Code of Conduct

Default Reasons For Buying a Full Bottle?

Which might be a daft question.

However, do you follow any pattern - like always chasing up new releases from brand or perfumer xyz?
    If so, do you normally buy blind or check them out thoroughly first?

Do you seek out random samples from untried brands and fall in love with one which bypasses any 'to do' list and feel the need to acquire it fast, regardless of popularity or opinion?

Or does reading about products here, in blogs or in publicity emails continually set you off on new journeys?

Have you found more new loves as a result of chatting & swapping with others here & elsewhere?

I've done all of the above with varying degrees of joy but wonder how other members here are approaching the full bottle these days.

Default Re: Reasons For Buying a Full Bottle?

Most of the above! I get interested in perfumes for various reasons: a new offering from a house that I like, discussion here, talking with SAs, reading blogs. I rarely blind buy anything, and luckily in London there's a chance to try almost anything. Either I like something or I don't, but what actually makes me buy a full bottle? In the end there's no real logic to it, it's just a gut feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post

However, do you follow any pattern - like always chasing up new releases from brand or perfumer xyz?
    If so, do you normally buy blind or check them out thoroughly first?

Do you seek out random samples from untried brands and fall in love with one which bypasses any 'to do' list and feel the need to acquire it fast, regardless of popularity or opinion?

Or does reading about products here, in blogs or in publicity emails continually set you off on new journeys?
    Always chase new large bottle releases of houses I collect and almost always blind buy.
    (1081)
    Last edited by hednic; 3rd December 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Usually, most of my full bottle purchases are the consequence of favorable testing results, except some successful blind buys thanks to the guidance, information and knowledge of the BN community.

I've only been pursuing perfume seriously for the past year, but the usual impetus is reading discussion here or on other blogs. Typically I do not blind-buy, but if the financial risk is low then I will. About 6 weeks ago I was sent a sample of Mona di Orio Vanille and I fell in love. That started my pursuit of a FB which ended in an internet purchase this past Friday. Because I live at a distance from major retail shopping, I do all of my buying online so I am heavily reliant upon trusted opinions and small samples sent through the mail.

Some gotten blind through rummaging rigorously through reviews, you tube what not... Others via personal confrontation or recommendation of a scent and let's not forget sampling and giving it a few days test driving....peace

Btw my blind buys are A very studied endeavour before I go ahead and pull the trigger ...obviously knowing the notes or genre of juice i have affinity with helps a ton....ex I love smokyness in particular blends in a scent but I'm always open to discover anew approaches in fume realm.....etc ..etc
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Thanks, guys - so far, 'gut feeling', various types of research & 99% online are closest to my 'practice' - although it must be very rewarding to collect by House!

I purchase full bottles according to how much I like a fragrance.

I have only purchased a few bottles completely unsniffed, though I did lots of research on each. In one case, it was a gonga deal so it seemed low risk, another was a classic, vintage item that just intrigued me which I'm now very glad I have. A few others were from Ross where they were super inexpensive.

Otherwise, I buy almost exclusively online after having sampled. Lately, I try to acquire a 3ml spray sample before making a purchase of a FB. In some cases, I'll get a 5-10 decant before going full tilt. The main exception to that is when the fragrance is discontinued or is being offered somewhere at a ridiculously low price.

I did buy several of the Amouage line unsiffed in the recent Fragrancenet sale because I knew I could easily resell for what I paid if I hated them.

Mainly, it's that I fall in love with the scent and find the idea of my sample empty and me with none left to be unpalatable.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good deals..
    Mostly about price and The BN Community..

If I like it.

To clarify on the above.

Im maintaining a collection of As and Bs only.

If im going to add it to my wardrobe, its either an A or a B and therefore warrant a full bottle (some As even warrant backup bottles).

I like enough As and Bs that I dont foresee myself getting round to wearing a C if I added it to my wardrobe.

Right now I have enough As and Bs to wear a different perfume everyday for 10 months straight.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 8th December 2013 at 09:28 AM.

for swap/sale:

I buy full bottles over decants because they're more economical and have better resale value.

Also, I only buy what I like, so I would want enough to last me.

I rarely buy blind, I rather sample over a long period before committing to a full bottle. Generally, I find out about new fragrances through the various sites, but only pursue ones with notes that are my favourites.
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

I started blind buying tester bottles as it was not possible to sample the perfumes. Now as it does not make sense anymore to buy full bottles (even 30ml) I try to get samples, because of EU restrictions one must be careful with sample packs which are over 25 Euro or so.

I'm not much of a collector of bottles just to have them, but I try a lot of stuff through samples and I don't buy random cheap stuff for the sake of buying something. I think I've bought about 20 or so full bottles this year, but I tend to circle my prey for several months before I pounce. I actually keep a "to buy" list, and several scents have been sitting on that list for six months or so simply because I'm still vacillating on them.

In the past, my natural instinct would have been impulsive; to buy buy buy!, but I've tried a lot of stuff that's out there and really only connect with about 10% of it. Therefore, deliberation is pretty much always the smart move for me.
    Last edited by deadidol; 8th December 2013 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I buy full bottles over decants because they're more economical and have better resale value.

Also, I only buy what I like, so I would want enough to last me.
    <<<--- Same thoughts here...

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I buy decant if the full bottle is too expensive for me to buy like Mona di Orio Oud.

If I like it after testing&sampling and I might wear it a lot, then I bought full bottle.

But I also blind buy sometimes, the result is pleasing almost everytime.

I gave what I do not like to friends or my family's driver who is almost the same age as me and taking batcher's degree at university now. He deserves some things nice to wear, I just do not tell him the price --I find that not necessary.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

My inspiration for purchases seems similar to yours. There are styles and houses I like, but reading online leads me to try things I wouldn't normally have considered.
    I try to almost never buy full bottles, even though they look so cool, there's just no way I'll use most of them. Nevertheless, there have been impulse purchases and some smaller bottles.
    The only real problem I find with small decants is they seem to go off quicker. e.g. losing some vitality in the top notes. I even had the end of a 15ml decant of SMW turn after a couple of years so that I mainly got what smelled like a whole lot of curry spices from it, but my full bottles don't seem to oxidize so fast.

Good point about deterioration, Darjeeling, plus re-sale value as others have mentioned.

I find myself doing far more wearing, thinking & research before buying bottles too, D.I.