Code of Conduct

Thread: Summing Up 2013

Default Summing Up 2013

Is it too early yet? As inspired by Saif on MFF http://www.basenotes.net/threads/371...74#post3006874, I would encourage you to share your thoughts about the year 2013.

Here is what I think:

Best Launch: Chanel 1932 (and many thanks to K., E. and c. for tooting the horn); please see the whole list here http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...1&launch1=2013 and think of all the work of organizing and cataloging 629 fragrances while we all complain that the Directory is being updated slowly;

Disappointment of the Year: Hermes Jour d'Hermes (thanks to Hermes for the free samples on their website and to 30R for letting us all know about them);

Personal Discovery: aoud/oudh is not that bad in homeopathic doses, not all musks are created equal, the small house of Royal Apothic Perfectly Perfect line of hand creams, a fig fragrance I could not live without (Profumum Roma Dambrosia);

Plans for 2014: in 2013 I have not tried a lot and somehow lag behind in the latest and greatest, to establish a closer relationship with Ausliebezumduft;

Person of the Year: JR! He was there for me when I needed inspiration, support, a pat on the back or a friendly scold.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Twolf; 3rd December 2013 at 11:58 AM.

Default Re: Summing Up 2013

Oh, great idea Twolf! Now, I am going to have to think about this a bit, but I can already say that I am totally in line with two of your choices, and they will be mine too. I'll let you wonder which two

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think nobody was interested.

What a great idea Twolf!

Best launches

Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    Le Labo - Ylang 49
    Neela Vermeire - Ashoka
    Kilian - Musc Oud
    Bentley for Men Intense
    Amouage - Fate Woman
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Caligna
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Amour Nocturne
    Sahara Noir by Tom Ford
    Miller Harris - La Fumee Ottoman
    Frederic Malle - Dries Van Noten

Disappointments of the year

Penhaligon's Vaara
    Bottega Veneta pour Homme
    Histoires de Parfum - Edition Rare series (veni-vidi-vici)
    Hermes - Jour d'Hermes
    Le Labo - Lys 41
    Annick Goutal - Nuit Etoilée
    l'Artisan Parfumeur - Skin on Skin
    Chanel 1932

Personal discovery

I'm glad I finally embraced tuberose.
    I always enjoyed it on wifey but never on myself.
    Then one day, thanks to a decant from Mr.Reasonable, I wore Angelique Encens & it clicked.
    That opened the door to Fracas, Beyond Love, Annick Goutal Tubereuse, Carnal Flower, Caron tubereuse extract & a few others.
    I also embraced fruity notes. But not pink bubbly fruity notes. More of a somber concentrated fruit note. Very much sans the fructose.
    Like in Andy's PHI & SoOud Nur nectar.

Fell head over heels in love with Shalimar.
    But not current Shalimar.
    I found a few vintage bottles from the mid 80s, early 90s & mid 90s.
    Those vintage bottles really shed light on why people are enamored with Shalimar.
    The current one & it's flankers are nice but not reflective of historic Shalimar.
    At least the holy trinity, comprised of the trio from the Ode a la Vanille series provides some restitution to those who cannot stand the current, nor can they source vintage bottles.

On a less than positive note, I fell out of love with Serge Lutens.

Plans for 2014

Discover & explore more classics of the past

Person of the year

I really could not pinpoint any single one of you.
    You've all been a delight & so supporting.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 3rd December 2013 at 04:42 PM.

for swap/sale:

Oh, I think this is so interesting Twolf! It will take much thought tho, as cello said. But I am so looking forward to what everyone has to say. It always makes me fill up my "to test" list. And now I have to try those lotions! I have a sample of Jour de Hermes, but haven't had a second to try it. Partially that's because of you all not loving it. I want to try it so I can compare, but I am not dying to try it like I was the 1932. Speaking of which, I concur that it was a fabulous fragrance. It earned a sample, and then a decant, so that's pretty great in my rankings, but I'm still working on my decant of it. Not sure if it's my favorite find of the year tho. I tend to lean toward the thick scents, the jammy or incensy, or musky ones. Who was it that was saying she couldn't do a fragrance without some skank to it. Schilling maybe?

Thanks for starting the thread!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, hedonist, now adding your favorites to my "to test" ... gahhhhh, you all are going to create some big lemmings! Love love love the Dries van Notten more than expected! I'm interested in your thoughts on the Musk Oud, since I am crazy about the Amber Oud, and love Musk. Also agree with you on tuberose. After my initial foray into those at the start of my journey, I kept turning up my nose at the big white floral. Suddenly Petite Fracas opened the door. Now I'm starting to get it. Do our noses just get used to smelling large doses of scent, so suddenly something that initially seemed so BIG isn't over the top and we can start to appreciate it rather than recoil just from the volume? Maybe it's like being at a loud concert and at first you are just bowled over, but by the time you're there a few hours it doesn't seem so intense and you can appreciate the music. Then you leave the concert and everything seems so tinny to your ear. Some of my starter scents have that tinny feeling to them now.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Best Launch-CDG Black
    Disappointment- Polo Red
    Personal Discovery- I must try more niche and Montale is my favorite house- By Kilian is overated
    Plans for 2014- less FB's and more decants
    Person of the year- ????

Basenotes Plus

Best Launch:

Roja Dove - Enigma PH (personal favourite).
    Creed - Millesime 1849.
    Bella Bellissima - Vetiver Spice.
    Bentley for Men Intense.
    Viktoria Minya - Hedonist.
    CDG - Black.
    Frederic Malle - Dries Van Noten.

Disappointment of the Year:

Hermes - Jour d'Hermes. Not a bad scent by any means, but my expectations were so much higher.
    Bottega Veneta PH. A massive u-turn - impulse buy, purchased and then given away in the blink of an eye.

Personal Discovery:

Oud - actually finding a small number that are wearable and purchaseworthy from a genre I usually find repugnant.
    The house of Arquiste.
    Vol de Nuit Extrait - where have you been all my life ?
    Bottega Veneta EDP - ditto above ^.

Plans for 2014:

Spend and indulge to the max.
    Get together with Mimi again

Person of the Year:

Twolf, for more reasons than I can even begin to list. Back atcha ! - you always had my vote even before this thread.

Special mention for all those who contribute to the Female SotD thread. An inspirational daily dose of knowledge, warmth, compassion and humour - and an Aventus free zone . Thank you !.

Extra special mention for Mrs Q (just because )
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd December 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries

l only just found this thread!

Best launch;

l don't keep up with new releases much, & only tried 4 that were released this year. Sahara Noir stood out for me, & l have a sample of Heeley's Coccobello that l haven't tried yet; l might just love it, but probably more so in summer.

Disappointments of the year;

Still not getting to try the Shalimar Madagascar flanker. l can't find a sample or tester anywhere!

Personal discovery;

l really enjoy "dark" scents like Dark Aoud these days, when l'm in the right mood. l would have hated this just 3 or 4 years ago.

Plans for 2014;

l really held back on buying FBs this year, but l'm close to finishing a few, & would like to add a few new beauties to my collection, to replace them. Plus l want to get back into working through my test list; l've already made a start on this this month.

Person of the year;

Nope, l can't pick out just one! The special people know who they are.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I don't know why, but when it comes to these kind of lists I become so awkward and feel like I can't remember a single thing I have smelt, read, listened to!
    So, please, accept my very incomplete and not too deeply conceived ideas...

Best launch: I don't follow the new releases closely, but I've surely been impressed by Amour Nocturne and Deliria by L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Disappointment of the year: the Grasse collection by L'Artisan (candles and Caligna- sorry hedonist ). I was expecting so much more from the notes described...
    Personal Discovery: my increasing focussing on some notes- patchouli, incense, resins, weird gourmand. As a fragrance, the best approximation of my personal development is Hindu Kush by AbdesSalaam Attar.
    Plans for 2014: explore some brands/lines that I have overlooked, for various reasons (price, prejudice- i.e. Cartier...). Not in the mood yet for vintage, I'm afraid
    Person of the year: I've been liking a lot the ladies and gents on the Female and General Fragrance Board! (special mention to you Twolf as a moderator- I just love so much your style when you lock a thread! )
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

I think my vote for best launch goes to Violette Fumee.

Disappointments include Polo Red and pretty much anything with vanilla...when I didn't want there to be vanilla in them. Men's scents were too sweet and yes, vanilla-y..heliotrope-y(from the ones I sniffed anyway), no thanks. Honeymania by TBS..wasn't a huge fan. Visa, Seville a L'aube...didn't do it for me, in fact, I disliked them. Just not my thing I guess. Modern Muse by EL, more like Modern Musk to me, no thanks.

I did like 1899 HDP for me, not for hubs...that has vanilla in there doesn't it?. I find that I don't like a lot of vanillas though. I guess that would be a discovery...picky with vanilla and don't like vanilla in men's scents. I also am being able to dip my toes in tuberose. I 'rediscovered' Poison again after being soo turned off by the tuberose for a while. And I found that I liked Tuberose Gardenia by EL. The only tub/gard that is on my wishlist. I still can't do much gardenia though.

Most disliked/what I found over-sprayed all over the place.. of the year: La Vie Est Belle.

Notes I saw often and didn't want to: vanilla, sage, white musk, heliotrope, caramel, praline, apple, pear.

U turns of the year: Dolce Gabbana Intense..liked it on first wear to where I almost wanted an fb, then sampled again and got a cavity. D&G's Velvet Love..was on the want list forever...then tested it again..got so much pepper that I think it can trigger acid reflux issues if one had them. Was all about the Ramon Monegal line..then re-sniffed it and didn't care for it. Still like Ambra Di Luna though.

Notes I found overused were: oud, incense, apple, pear.

Worst bottle design of the year: Untold by EA..how would I spray that thing a few times without dropping and breaking the bottle?

Best bottle design: I think I liked Iris Nazarena..haven't seen it in person though. But liked the gold and grey.

Best ad: MJ Honey..where he takes his Honey bottle everywhere.

Worst ad: Bottega Veneta Pour Homme..what in the world?

Most worn/fave scent of the year: Love and Tears.

Ones I discovered and would like a fb of are: 1932(maybe), 1899 HDP, at least a decant and yep, I think Tuberose Gardenia made it on the fb list. I think Guerlain Heritage made it as well, for men's scents. I thought it was a bit heavy on the patch but on husband's second wearing..I didn't find it to be all that bad. We both liked it.

Person of the year..all of you.
    Last edited by kalli; 6th December 2013 at 09:14 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Twolf what a wonderful idea for a thread. Look a bit of contemplation at my end but here goes.

Best Launch: 1932 just by a whisker, Shanghai Lily was also rather lovely. I’ve yet to try Puredistance Black, I have a feeling that might knock Chanel off the top spot for me.

Disappointment of the Year: None really. What I don’t appreciate someone else will.

Personal Discovery: Try as I might I’m a classics girl at heart. I may have come across one fragrance that is about as close to a signature for me as it gets. A sincere thanks to the person who thought to suggest it.

Plans for 2014: To replenish my vintage stocks and then enjoy them with abandon. To travel and experience the world as one should, with wonder and delight.

Person of the Year: I simply cannot play favourites. It’s been a challenging year at times made more bearable by the warmth and smiles I find here. Thanks to all and especially to few very special ones (you know who you are) I owe you more than you know.
    Last edited by Xscent; 4th December 2013 at 04:00 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Best Launch: Bentley For Men Intense & Marly Arabian Series
    Disappointment of the Year: Gucci Museo
    Personal Discovery: Eutopie & Memo House
    Plans for 2014: Source the rest of the Mens and Unisex Armani Prive Line for my collection and initiate its gradual transition to my successor.
    Persons of the year: All the Basenoters who have shown me kindness & respect
    (1107)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th December 2013 at 01:32 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

What are you missing in the Prive line? Would you like my sample of their elusive La Femme Bleue, or, are you talking about FBs?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    What are you missing in the Prive line? Would you like my sample of their elusive La Femme Bleue, or, are you talking about FBs?
    Very kind of you to offer. Currently missing Cedre Olympe & Mhyrre Imperiale from the Eaux Collection and the Thousand & One Nights Collection respectively, but I will have soon have a business colleague returning from Europe with both FBs in tow. Thanks again for your kind offering.
    (1111)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th December 2013 at 01:53 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Disappointment of the year: the Grasse collection by L'Artisan (candles and Caligna- sorry hedonist ). I was expecting so much more from the notes described...
    You're right, its under performing when considering the notes list.

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post

Plans for 2014: To replenish my vintage stocks and then enjoy them with abandon. To travel and experience the world as one should, with wonder and delight.
    Probably the best plan really.

for swap/sale:

Best Launch:

Possibly Frederic Malle's Dries Van Noten, but I haven't sampled a lot and not necessarily new stuff.

The Serge Lutens releases La Fille de Berlin (no quality there) and Vierge de Fer (dull - yawn!)

Personal Discovery:

Roja Dove's Fetish Parfum in the Paris heat of July.
    Like hedonist I figured I could do tuberose, at least some. So, Tubereuse Criminelle is part of my wardrobe now. 2013 definitely was a Serge Lutens year for me - discovered Douce Amère early in spring, re-discovered (or better noticed the reformulation) Miel de Bois, wore a lot of Rose de Nuit over the year and finally added the oddities like Mandarin-Mandarine and El Attarine (if only it weren't so very quiet) to my repertoire.
    ADDITION: Also, No. 5 opened up to me. While I prefer the 'looser interpretations' like Vega and La Myrrhe, I now own a current EdT (which is wonderful splashed lavishly).

Plans for 2014:

I have a lot of money budgeted already for 2014, but a few back-ups (Serges etc.) can be squeezed in.

Person of the Year:

I have had a lot of exchange with Gandhajala (naturally as we are 'twins separated at birth') and the ever smart 'n' witty Saminlondon, who I met through a Vol de Nuit stopper is stuck sort of thread. Foustie made me very happy with her Tabac Blond love, which just occurred to me!
    I have been quieter here and I feel comfortable going more low-profile.
    Last edited by Larimar; 4th December 2013 at 06:51 AM.

queen of the universe

Reading all remarks with great interest.

Can't comment on launches as I hadn't tried any—not one!—which does lead me to resolve to try something new in 2014!

My personal discovery was in expanding my vintage Weil collection, with a a 1 oz Secret de Venus bath oil—that legendary stuff!—being the crown jewel, as well as, thanks to dear Larimar, Caron Acaciosa, which cements Caron as "my" house amongst those still producing. Learning "how" to smell Chanel was another discovery. For all my loud tastes, Chanel introduced me (via our wonderful Mimi Gardenia)to subtlety and patience in sniffing.

Too many kind basenotes denizens to mention, for sending me generous samples while I dealt with my health: Larimar, cacio, TWolf, PerfumedLady, Schilling, mumsy—I know I've left sombodies out and apologize.

New nose of 2013 has to be ScentFan, who writes with clarity and verve on her fragrance journeys.

Kudos to Quarry and company for the Chicago meetup which I admired from afar. Next year! Wherever!

Larimar, you are missed, but certainly entitled to low profile after all you have contributed.

A pleasant holiday season and New Year to all.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Ah yes, jujy, ACACIOSA! Wonderful! I forgot about it. I am very happy you discovered it and made it your own.

L, quiet(er) is not bad, It only means that your rare posts are anticipated lots more! How's Dr.G doing these days, BTW?

Thanks to everybody for taking time and writing about your fragrant year! Please keep them posts coming.

It's fun to read these, and to be reminded of what happened this year, perfume-wise. My own summary:

Best launch:
    Dries Van Noten

Worst disappointment:
    PHI Rose de Kandahar

Personal discovery:
    I like rose and MH L'Air de Rien (thanks, Z).

Plans for 2014:
    Get rid of what I don't wear. Learn more. Keep smelling things. Maybe try writing a review.

Person of the year:
    Danielle and Grant, for keeping things going through all the changes, for keeping us informed, and for bringing back the old format.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Person of the year:
    Danielle and Grant, for keeping things going through all the changes, for keeping us informed, and for bringing back the old format.
    Good call, Kagey!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    ...feel like I can't remember a single thing I have smelt, read, listened to! So, please, accept my very incomplete and not too deeply conceived ideas...
    Very well put iodine - mind if I use this?

Let's see...

Best Launch - Chanel 1932, but I don't really go out of my way to stay up-to-date on all the latest launches either; '32 was simply one of the few releases I actually anticipated.

Disappointment of the Year - the reformulation of La Perla.

Personal Discovery - SL De Profundis most importantly, but also Bas de Soie and Datura Noir. I also had a turn-around regarding Chanel Beige, which became a summertime favorite this year.

Plans for 2014 - I don't have any specific perfume plans, but I'm still hoping to come across some nice new-old-stock of Charles of the Ritz ...though I suppose coming upon nice new-old-stock is always the plan.

Person of the Year - Roberto
    Last edited by Evangeline; 4th December 2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you for your responses, folks!

Care to see what we all thought two years ago? Here ya go! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/290489-Summing-Up-2011

Nice thread!

Best Launch:
    Hmm, I've been in a vintage time warp for most of the year (see below), so I too will have to restrict myself to Chanel's 1932 - which flies the flag for iris and aldehydes in the most elegant fashion.
    (Bulletin ... As of last night's visit to the newly revamped Maison Guerlain, I am the proud owner of a small sample the new Parfum du 68. Having given it a big 'meh' a couple of weeks ago, I might just have to eat my words. Need to do more homework before reporting back.)

I had great hopes for Bottega Veneta Pour Homme, which turned out to be watery and generic, in my opinion. It sounded so good on paper - not sure what went wrong here.

Personal Discovery:
    This is a big one: the entire house of Guerlain! I was vaguely acquainted with their most popular fragrances, but moving to Paris at the end of last year really opened my eyes to the glories they produce(d). Really, I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers wearing anything else.

Plans for 2014:
    To buy amazingly wonderful, rare, gorgeous Guerlain scents at reasonable prices before they all dry up. And some new ones, too. Also, because diversity is healthy: to explore the creations at Uncle Serge.

Person of the Year:
    He may not like it expressed publicly , but I have to say a big, sincere 'thank you' to our friend Larimar . He has been helpful, patient, generous with his time and knowledge, and ever ready to share his experiences. I've learned a lot from him, and had fun doing so.
    And I'm also very happy to be involved with all of you on the distaff side of the forum, where the level of conversation is (usually!) much higher than over on 'the other side'. A big thank you to everyone on here for keeping it up. I don't know many of you yet, but I do like the little community that gets together for SOTD!

Basenotes Plus

Best Launch -Is a three way tie for me between Fate Woman, 1932 and Shanghai Lily, I love all three. One that I really liked but don't own yet, is Iris Prima.

Disappointment of the Year
    - Can't really say I was disappointed, but I didn't think Rose Rebelle Respawn was very exciting, The new YSL trio weren't as good as I was hoping they would be either.

Personal Discovery - That I really like Tom Ford fragrances, next on my list to get is Noir de Noir, loved that one.

Plans for 2014 - Try to buy less and to use what I have. Sell some of the fragrances I don't use anymore and give some away.

People of the year
    - Sorry I had to change it to "people", too many need to be recognized. 1st dear Quarry for all she did to make the Chicago trip happen and all the lovely people who were there for the shopping trip, each and every one of them were great! 2nd all the people on the women's SotD thread, you make every day a happier day. I look forward to that thread like no other. A special shout out to Twolf and Jon, who are both so supportive and kind, your words have helped me more than you could ever know, thank you!!

XOXOXO to everyone!!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 4th December 2013 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thank you for your responses, folks!

Care to see what we all thought two years ago? Here ya go! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/290489-Summing-Up-2011
    What fun to look back Twolf, thanks for posting this!

What a great thread! Sadly, I don't think it was a very exciting year perfume-wise for me.

Best Launch
    I had to think a lot about this. I'll have to go with Chanel 1932 because of its almost neo-chypre quality and understated elegance. It is not the most enthusiastic nomination, though.

Disappointment of the Year
    Well, I didn't like many new releases, but a true disappointment is when I actually look forward to the release of a fragrance, and it doesn't live up to the expectations: Tom Ford Plum Japonais and Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin .

Profumum Rosae Mundi was a disappointment, too, to this rose lover.

Personal Discovery

Hermes Kelly Caleche EDP. I also discovered how much I really love Bottega Veneta (although I'd had it since it came out).

Plans for 2014

To enjoy the perfumes I currently have.

People of the Year

I've appreciated so many people's comments and reviews; I refuse to name just a couple Still, I have to mention the peeps in the "Sample of the Day" thread and also kiliwia, who always has a kind word for everyone and whose interest in roses I share. The same goes for 30 roses!
    Last edited by catnip_too; 5th December 2013 at 03:41 PM.

I am not sure I have experienced enough to share my thoughts, but here goes.

Best Launch: Amouage Fate Woman, L'Artisan Amour Nocturne, Serge Lutens La Fille de Berlin, Tauer PHI Une Rose Kandahar, Chanel 1932

Disappointment of the Year: I really have no idea as I wasn't really looking at New Releases in expectation (but next year.........)

Personal Discovery
    : I can learn to appreciate all sorts of things in perfume that I used to think I just hated. I've learned to experience scent in a whole new way and guess what.....I DO like Chanel No 5 and Oud!

Plans for 2014: To keep learning and become more selective

Person of the Year: There are so many on this board who have reached out to me in kindness, answered my endless questions, shared gobs of samples and even personal encouragement that I couldn't even begin to name all of them. Thank you to all of you who make this such a wonderful place to belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post

ADDITION: Also, No. 5 opened up to me. While I prefer the 'looser interpretations' like Vega and La Myrrhe, I now own a current EdT (which is wonderful splashed lavishly).
    This makes me very happy.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    This makes me very happy.
    ...says one splasher to the other splasher!

Best Launch: I didn't begin until September, so no idea. Possibly Slumberhouse Zahd because I already want it.

Disappointment of the Year: Keiko Mecheri's Clair-Obscur (formerly Jasmine). To me, it's an aldehydic bomb I couldn't tolerate. Almost put me off the line entirely, but luckily I discovered La fille de Berlin this week.

Personal Discovery: Perfume! Basenotes! I feel immeasurably enriched by the varied scents I now spray on myself daily (and nightly) and by the information and support at Basenotes. I'm trying my best to fly up the learning curve and enjoying every moment.

Plans for 2014: To complete my initial collection of total loves then go into maintenance mode, exploring new scents as they're released.

Person of the year: Everybody breathing, because we all want the same thing: to be happy.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 6th December 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Best Launch: I also don't keep up with launches, but here are three I tried and enjoyed: Aftelier Cuir Gardenia, delightfully stinky catnip, Atelier Cologne Silver Iris, smooth, elegant, pure , Phi Une Rose de Kandahaar, just discovering Andy Tauer's house in earnest and I quite liked this one! I notice others list it as a disappointment ...

Disappointment: again breaking from the pack when I say Chanel 1932 - disappointed because its beauty is so darn fleeting on my skin!

Personal Discovery: three houses I have begun to explore: Arquiste (Anima Dulcis is my favorite) Histoires de Parfums (1804 and the Tueberose Trilogy) and coming late to the party of Andy Tauer. (Une Rose Vermielle may end up being my first full bottle for 2014) I also realized how much I love and appreciate tuberose

Plans for 2014 continued appreciation for the house of Guerlain, to keep an eye out for vintage Shalimar, to perhaps try the parfum version of Chanel No. 22 and as I mention above, I may add a bottle of URV to my collection. Sampling it now and it keeps making me smile! I feel like a happy vintage lipstick

Person of the Year: all basenoters, of course! with Quarry holding a special place of recognition for her coordination once again of the Chicago meetup - thank you!!!

great thread,Twolf!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I edited..1932 and Violette Fumee were kind of almost in a tie for best launch. But upon sniffing VF again, I'd say that gets my vote. Blended great. My sample drained very quickly. I'd love a decant of this.

Thinking of you, Mimi!.
    Last edited by kalli; 6th December 2013 at 09:27 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    New nose of 2013 has to be ScentFan, who writes with clarity and verve on her fragrance journeys...
    Wow, just saw this. Thank you, jujy54. Before, I was just the gal you can use as a human canary to pick up malfactors in the air...actually had to leave my house one year until repairmen found what went amiss in the air-conditioning system after a hurricane. It's exciting to find such a pleasurable use for my hypersensitive nose.

summer means fireflys

Best Launch: Wow ... I have been woefully oblivious to new releases this year. Out of the 677 fragrances listed for 2013, I have only tested 5: Chanel 1932, Hermes Eau de Narcisse Bleu, Kerosene Unknown Pleasures, Marc Jacobs Honey, and Oscar de la Renta Something Blue.

I liked Unknown Pleasures enough to buy a decant but something about 1932 stays with me and it is on my wish list. Honey was absolutely awful on my skin and the other two were just meh.

Disappointment of the year: To me the biggest bummer this year is that celubuscents are still being pumped out at alarming rates. New releases by One Direction? Pitbull? Seriously?

Personal Discovery: My taste continues to evolve and expand, which is a good thing. I have finally made peace with Chanel no 5 after years of wanting to love it. I always received compliments when wearing it, but it never felt "right" on my skin. I don't know what changed, but it does feel "right" now. At last. Also, I find myself liking a few more florals ... small steps, but steps going forward all the same.

Plans for 2014: No specific plans really. I would like to add a few bottles to the collection off of my wish list, keep exploring new-to-me notes and scents, add a back-up bottle of some older stock Angel ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Great thread!

Best launch: I have scaled way back on testing. I do like Dries van Noten, though.

Disappointment of the year: Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule and La Fille de Berlin

Personal discovery: that vintage fragrances suit me best.

Plans for 2014: to enjoy what I already have.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Twolf, I love the thread, and I've been wanting to post my thoughts for *weeks*! At last, some free time

Best Launch: I just don't keep up with launches. I basically go where my nose takes me, and while it's taken me on some fabulous excursions this year, they generally didn't involve new fragrances. But I did manage to sniff a few. The winner for me, by a country mile, is Atelier Cologne Mistral Patchouli. I fell for it hard in Skins 6|2 in Las Vegas and shattered my rule of "no more impulse buys" by purchasing it on the spot. And I love it -- for the heat of summer. What I love in the cold of winter is also one of my personal discoveries: Sonoma Scent Studio Rose Volupte -- a vintage-y feeling rose amber. Gorgeous.

Biggest Disappointments: I'm a contrarian -- what can I say? Runner-Up is Mona di Orio Violette Fumee (no structure or base on me, and it's Gone In 60 Seconds™) The clear winner for biggest disappointment? Dries Van Noten par Frederic Malle. Because I fully expected to LOVE this one. It wasn't bad, but it barely rated a "meh." Honorable Mention goes to Atelier Cologne Silver Iris. Much like John Cusack's "not a omelette" in Grosse Pointe Blank, this one was "not a iris." And I wanted it to be. Which leads me to …

Personal Discoveries:
    • There are iris fragrances I can wear and love! Heeley Iris d'Nuit is at the top of the list, and I very quickly bought a full bottle. Thanks to cello, Jon, and Whitefluffy for raving about it And I have 2 other irises on my wish list (PG Cuir d'Iris and Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris) -- but I definitely don't love all of them.

• I finally found a couple of roses (and one oud!) to love: Rose Volupte and Rose Anonyme

• I still do not care for Guerlain, Chanel, or Caron. I have, however, found plenty of other stuff to love.

• I continue to love most of what Serge Lutens and Parfumerie Generale put out there. But Uncle Serge's 2013 releases were not my cup of tea.

• One word and one letter: Puredistance M.

Plans for 2014: to buy some of the full bottles I've been eyeing for a long time and use up or give away some of my samples and decants. Relatedly, to attend a fabulous meet-up and spend time with some of you lovely people in person.

Person of the Year: Quarry, for all the work she did on the Chicago meet-up even though I couldn't attend and had to observe, dejectedly, from only a 45-minute flight away. And all of the SotD posters -- you're a great bunch to wake up to or retire in the evenings with. Particularly when there's a glass of wine or a finger or two of bourbon involved.

ExtremeK, thanks for posting. I so agree with you about FM Dries Van Noten and SL 2013 releases, it is not even funny! Remember how I was anticipating La Fille de Berlin?

^ I remember that Twolf, bummer. I haven't sniffed it yet though.

Extreme K, I noticed Sephora has an Atelier coffret, five 1 oz botltes which includes the patchouli:

http://www.sephora.com/collection-co..._P382518_image

Hello! For me:

Best launch - Dries van Noten. Spices, check. Woods, check. Vanilla, check. Instant love for me.

Biggest disappointment - To be honest, my expectations are so low these days, literally nothing disappoints me. Well, actually there is - news of continued restrictions.

Personal discovery - Guerlain Mayotte. Sunshine and tropical holidays bottled with Guerlain's musk. Oh, and Parfum des Merveilles. The earthy, skin-like drydown of this one is an incredible experience.

Plans for 2014 - Organise my collection, I can't find anything atm

Best Launch: Mona di Orio Violette Fumee.

Disappointment of the Year: Hermes Jour d'Hermes. Yes, I am in this club too. Hermes and Ellena can do better. We know it. And I think they do, too.

Personal Discovery: The entire line of Mona di Orio fragrances.

Plans for 2014: Hunting down vintage fragrances, sampling something new from the niche.

Person of the Year:Don't mean to sound cheesy, but thanks Grant and Co for bringing us back home!

All the best for 2014!

Best Launch:

Apologies in advance if I'm a year out with some of these . . . anyway, they surfaced for me in 2013

Amouage - Fate Woman. A masterpiece. Thank you Christopher Chong and Dorothee Piot for bringing romance back to perfumery.

IUNX - L'Arbre. A pure Mysore Eau de Cologne - simple as that. The hint of immortelle that comes and goes is acceptable.

Diptyque - Tam Dao EDP. After enduring years of people singing the praises of cedar bomb Tam Dao EDT and calling it a sandalwood, Diptyque have finally made good on their word and released a Tam Dao that REALLY DOES CONTAIN sandalwood and made it the star. Superb, all is forgiven - I have gone thru half a bottle already.

Mona di Orio - Violette Fumée. It's a shame this is quite fleeting but there you go . . . that doesn't detract from the green and purple hues of this uplifting and hale and hearty contemporary take on a sort of fougere style. My first from this line, prompted partly by the fact that she created it for a man she cared deeply about, which adds to the allure. Beautiful.

CDG - Black. Wonderful mix of old wood that has been exposed to incense over many years and given the odd buff with some quality lemon infused furniture wax. Probably destined to be overlooked given the multitude of other 'incense and woods' in the CdG line, but something of a modern classic in my estimation - I hope a new generation of kids discover this.

Frederic Malle - Dries Van Noten. Compelling almost-gourmand that, while it doesn't actually feature Mysore in a lead role, has sublimated it masterfully under the steamy coffee house with excellent pastries on display accord.

Guerlain - Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Mexique. The third in this spin-off series where I suspect M. Wasser is having enormous fun infusing the Shalimar structure with different styles of vanilla and who knows what else from his travels. Mexique is not overtly 'chocolatey' as I thought it might be, it leans more towards the first in the trio (not as dark as madagascar). I am dumbfounded as to why these can be found scattered around odd stores on the planet but NOT at the main Guerlain counters . . . my bottle (after much searching) came from a Sephora in Dubai!

Diptyque - Volutes EDT. May have been 2012, but just so damned wearable! Lovely balance of tobacco and upbeat brightness.

MDCI - Chypre Palatin. Also 2012, I think, but finally got a bottle and it's a beautiful, effortless ride.

Vero Kern - Les Voiles. In the tradition of more established houses Vero Kern thoughtfully offers another iteration of Onda, Rubj, Kiki and Mito to sit comfortably between the original Extraits and the brighter 'passion fruited up' EDPs.

Hermes - Epice Marine. Lays down the gauntlet with a 'coastal marine' spice and whisky inspiration that offers far more than might initially appear. It will be easy to brush this one off as yet another cumin inflected Ellena riff, but for those who can see beyond that and spend some time with it the rewards lie in wait. It's unusual, and if you are one of those who bridle at the thought of using wakame, seaweed in salads then maybe too much for you, but I am enjoying this and look forward to spending more time with it (a very recent purchase).

Guerlain - Mitsouko Extrait 2013. After a few years of the abysmal apology for arguably one of the greatest perfumes ever made, Thierry Wasser has found a way to bring it back into something approximating the real deal. Blame the IFRA and the fools working for the EU for the woeful state of affairs we find oursleves in, but please applaud Wasser for doing his best against all odds.

Bottega Veneta PH. Safe, probably focus grouped and worried half to death - what a missed opportunity after the earlier femme.

Cartier - L'Heure Vertueuse. It's absolutely lovely but I can happily get by with Ms. Laurent's earlier (superb, classic) Herba Fresca, which does much the same job.

Puredistance - Black. It's okay, just a very, very safe diluted Serge Noire with a bit of Encre noir inkiness to me - bland really, but fine for guys who want some ooomph but nothing too adventurous.

Personal Discovery:

Solely due to the kindness and inspired 'connecting the dots' between my own meandering tastes and her deep knowledge of what's actually what, I was introduced to Miller Harris Cuir d'Oranger by a quiet basenoter who has become a solid friend, and it immediately leapt into my desert island five. Fortunately she also located a couple of back-up bottles for me, which is a good thing because it's officially discontinued. Sublime.

Plans for 2014:

I want to get a better handle on what Roja Dove is doing with his Fetish collection, as well as Diaghilev and a few others. He may be our last hope.

Person of the Year:

Beranium Chotato for hosting the most intelligent and fragrant private party on the planet.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 27th December 2013 at 09:09 AM.

Glad to hear the new Mitsouko's doing good. Looking forward to smelling it.

Glad to see the Yohji Yamamotos reissued, especially the excellent Yohji (originally made by Jean Kerleo) and one of my favorites Yohji Homme.

Personal discovery: More than ever I understand how good it is to take time away from smelling perfumes.