Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default PK Perfumes Pass part two

I was hoping the old huddler site info would have been integrated by now. Just checking in with you all. We can just continue here

US
    1: Juanderer
    2: SaNielsen
    3: Kalli
    4: Genie Jeanie
    5: Cello
    6:Mimielle
    7: Twolf
    Last edited by wooznib; 8th January 2014 at 06:15 PM.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: PK Perfumes Pass part two

I've smelled a couple already - Ere and Red Leather. Notes coming soon.

Excellent! I look forward to your thoughts. Mega generous sample package no?
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Glad to see this back.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

I just sent a private email to Wooznib, with a copy of another private email from easily the world's most famous perfume critic/kingmaker, talking about my fragrances in a complimentary manner, who's hoping to publish about them when he can, on Style.com/Arabia.

I don't feel right making this public, until it IS public, but the note will probably be printed out and included with the Pass around box for all recipients to read. Call me ECSTATIC!!!!!!!! I can hardly contain myself.

As one of my friends said, "Excellent news, Paul. It would have taken some guts to send off samples to **** *****, of all people. That he replied positively just shows how good your stuff is!"

My Day is coming...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I just sent a private email to Wooznib, with a copy of another private email from easily the world's most famous perfume critic/kingmaker, talking about my fragrances in a complimentary manner, who's hoping to publish about them when he can, on Style.com/Arabia.

I don't feel right making this public, until it IS public, but the note will probably be printed out and included with the Pass around box for all recipients to read. Call me ECSTATIC!!!!!!!! I can hardly contain myself.

As one of my friends said, "Excellent news, Paul. It would have taken some guts to send off samples to **** *****, of all people. That he replied positively just shows how good your stuff is!"

My Day is coming...

PK

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Mega generous sample package no?
    Absolutely!

My jaw fell to the floor when I opened the package. This is the mother of all sample passes.

Looking forward to the note Paul, thanks and congrats.

Off topic a bit- I think I am starting to agree with you on vanilla, PK, I really am not liking that note at all lately! Except Hypnotic Poison..that seems to be one of the few exceptions. I guess I did like 1899 HDP as well. Going to guess there is no or little vanilla in your compositions?
    Last edited by kalli; 3rd December 2013 at 08:28 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

My Day is coming...

PK
    Well done, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Looking forward to the note Paul, thanks and congrats.

Off topic a bit- I think I am starting to agree with you on vanilla, PK, I really am not liking that note at all lately! Except Hypnotic Poison..that seems to be one of the few exceptions. Going to guess there is no or little vanilla in your compositions?

You make me laugh! :-)

Not very much Vanilla. And yet it looks like one of my clients who I am making their line, seems like they are deciding they want a Vanilla frag.
    (It's fun now making fragrances for two other houses on seperate continents...) And so, you know, you gotta give the client what they want... Plus I guess I'll have to learn how to use vanilla better than I do now...

But in my own work, Vanilla is used strictly for support, a subtle warming, when used at all. It would probably be difficult to pull it out and smell it from my Fumes.

But take for instance the chocolate in Violet Chocolatier; - most people probably don't even realize that Vanilla, is a little less than half of the chocolate odor profile. Chocolate is about 40% vanilla, and about 60% cocoa, or maybe some less, depends upon your preferences. Going through the Hershey's Chocolate Plant store/ride/visitor's Center in Hershey PA last winter, I was struck by how much vanillin I smelled in the air that was their odor profile of Chocolate. Violet chocoaltier, has the highest level of Vanilla in all of my work to date...

Hope that you all enjoy the fumes...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Very interesting, PK, that must be why I am not as into chocolate scents as much lately either. But do want to sniff this Violet Chocolatier..the name alone gets my interest. I do see that there is honey in there..getting more interest. Very interesting that a vanilla frag was requested, but as you said, it will give you more experience with using that note...the vanilla request could be a good thing after all.

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to these.

My Day is coming...

PK
    Congratulations PK! I am not part of the pass, but a sample set is going to be heading my way. Can't wait to get my nose on these!

DanieQ, I can add you to the list. There is plenty to go around.

Thank you, wooznib, for resurrecting this thread. Yes, I am still alive and hoping. If any of you needs addresses, I got them all I think.

Keeping fingers crossed for you, PK!

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your sample set.

My Day is coming...

PK

Well I do have a full set coming wooznib, but I'm happy to join you all by sharing my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Absolutely!

My jaw fell to the floor when I opened the package. This is the mother of all sample passes.

Too bad there's so little interest in it...

Maybe we should post in the Men's section too?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Or a giveaway of 200 samples like Fragrantica...
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

From my perspective the pass was closed until Wooznib invited me to join, I hadn't realized that it was still open. Perhaps a clarification thread is in order.

There is plenty of room left. This is a massive sample package. My sincerest apologies. With the BN changeover and tday I have been slammed for work travel and such. If you would like in, just say so.. plenty of room and I am sure no one has a problem shuffling around if need be.

I am not in the sample pass group but just would like to share a quick thought on Velvet Curacao, one of some samples that I bought a little while ago.

Gals and guys - its' rich and gorgeous. What a nice and appropriate name for the scent!

Too bad there's so little interest in it...

Maybe we should post in the Men's section too?

PK
    I tried several times ordering a sample pack via your website. Even though Germany is listed my order always got rejected.

Maybe you can figure out a solution for this problem. I'd love to start a sample pass on parfumo.de.

I've had the same thing happen, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Thank you, wooznib, for resurrecting this thread. Yes, I am still alive and hoping. If any of you needs addresses, I got them all I think.

Keeping fingers crossed for you, PK!
    My shipping address has been changed recently, I will pm SaNielsen with the address.

Smile Re: PK Perfumes Pass part two

Hi Wooz and thanks for resurrecting this. Paul, Kudos and and congrats on your smash success. If possible, I would like to join the pass if it re-opens. Thanks and continued success.
    John aka Easykiller

Juanderer, did you have a chance to sniff more yet? I want this package already, LOL.

friendly bump

Basenotes Plus

Ok, I shall start with the pre-release version of Dirty Rose Oud Extreme.

It opens with a - ahem - quite dirty rose and oud combo. Shortly after settles into a still skanky though not quite as dirty rose/oud/leathery combo. It projects like a beast in the first few moments and becomes closer to the skin as time goes by. At 7 hours, it is still alive and kicking and it the musk becomes more pronounced. I get a lipstick vibe. It is slightly powdery now, but it remains bitey and animalic. This fragrance keeps its character from beginning opening to dry-down, but it also goes through many different phases in the process.

A truly lovely one, this is.

I'll have to find my notes on Ere and Red Leather. So far, "intense" is the word.

Intense is an excellent descriptor.

Thanks Juanderer! Hmm, that one does sound intense! Will probably be too much for me, but we shall see. I cannot wait to try the leathers!!!!

Blog Entries

I would love to join the pass if I may, please? I'm fairly new to using the site but I'd love the chance to participate.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Howdy Mimielle, Welcome to Basenotes. We'd be delighted to have ya.

Blog Entries

Aw, yeah, I was hoping you would be friendly! Thank you, now I'm excited. Will you be reposting the details of the shipping, receiving, reviewing procedure and shipping schedule as it goes around or how does it all work anyway?
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Mimielle, the first person sniffs and sends it off to the next person...and so on. So, when the time comes, you will need to give Cello your address, then after you are done sampling & reviewing, you would then ask for Twolf's address so you can then send it to her.

Blog Entries

Thank you, kalli. About how long do people keep the package? I'm assuming we sniff by application to a blotter paper so there is enough to go around to everyone? Sorry for so many questions, my first time. 🌟
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Moved.
    Last edited by mimielle; 17th December 2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Moved to the proper threading place.

Quote Originally Posted by mimielle View Post
    Thank you, kalli. About how long do people keep the package? I'm assuming we sniff by application to a blotter paper so there is enough to go around to everyone? Sorry for so many questions, my first time. ��
    We try not to keep them very long so we don't hold up the pass. So, it's basically, sniff and then ship out asap. I usually just apply to the skin or do one spray on paper and then a couple sprays on skin. Obviously, one shouldn't use too much so that there is plenty to go around. Hope that helps!.

Basenotes Plus

Ere starts quite vegetal green. The imagery this put in my head is that of hiking into a forest: You start feeling the fresh air mixed with the smells of the shrubbery, a hint of flowers. You go further in and the vegetation is denser and bigger. The ground is colder and damper because the rays of the sun are filtered out by the canopies. You arrive at the heart of the woods and you take a moment to look around. You the smells of the fauna going about. It's like going from a very light, breezy shade of green to an earthy-dark -damp-and-dense emerald green. The main players for me where fern, fir, rose, vetiver, clove, and genet… I don't think I'd smelled genet before.

Basenotes Plus

Red Leather opens raw and strong. My partner immediately exclaimed "that's weird!" There's the leather at first smell along with pepper and rhubarb. Immediately after, there was a very vivid grapefruit coming off of the leather note. It felt to me like a just-polished and shined leather when the cardamom became noticeable. The animality of it matches the naughty image of the red minidress. I'm almost certain that if the camera were to pan down, you'd see black leather boots as well.

Ginger Zest de Citron opened with an intriguing mix of citrus and ginger. Something about it reminded me of old-fashioned chewing gum. There is a curry-like feel to it that felt to me like a separator between the fresh and volatile top notes and the settled warm sandalwood. The dry down is nice and creamy.

Basenotes Plus

Gold Leather is a fresh and playful leather. It starts with a fruity blast. Before I looked at the notes breakdown, I thought apple-apricot, but it turns out it is satsuma guava. There is a slight smokiness to it as well as moss. The leather is soft and suede-like. I wouldn't say that this an obvious leather but rather a "dressed leather" if that makes sense. The fruits, flowers and herbs transition in their accompaniment of the leather from beginning to end. Although the leather is always there, it shares the spotlight with the rest of the players and nobody steals the show. Perfect harmony.

Basenotes Plus

About three weeks ago, I went to my favorite Malaysian restaurant and ordered the "lychee fruit drink" to go with my dinner. Upon biting on the fruit after almost finishing my drink, there was a burst of sweet and aromatic fruitiness. Lita opens just like that, but the sweetness is given a bit of an edge with lavender so that it;s not as obtusely cloying. There's an indolic Jasmine that slowly comes forward from the backdrop and I get a subtle animalic character out of it. Jasmine lovers, give this one a try.

Blog Entries

Well, I admit it...I did have to google Style Arabia. I am a very curious person. I'm excited for you, the reviews seem really accessible and wonderful. I was thinking they might be a little lofty for the average person but no. Very nice, I wish you the best. I feel really lucky I get to experience them at this time, before everyone in general.
    AND I found a great new aspect of the style.com website family too.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Cafe Diem:

I have to say I was expecting a thick gourmand espresso bombshell (ugh) and was pleasantly surprised!

On me, the coffee is only in the opening in the form of roasted beans. There's flowers and spice and all things nice (absinthe and smoke). The dry-down is absolutely gorgeous - a rooty vetiver with some cardamom and dried woods and a slight animality from musk. I kept getting whiffs of this throughout the day (sprayed onto chest) and it was bliss every single time that happened. This will be a welcome addition to my collection soon.

A Cafe Diem purchase soon, huh? Very nice.

How many more are there left to sample, J?

My PK sample set arrived yesterday and I just pulled one out at random, Pentacost. Popping in to register a quick OMG! Are reactions from outside the pass welcome or is there another PK thread for this?

Would love to see your thoughts!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    My PK sample set arrived yesterday and I just pulled one out at random, Pentacost. Popping in to register a quick OMG! Are reactions from outside the pass welcome or is there another PK thread for this?

Thanks, wooznib. If Pentecost is any indication, this is the second niche house I'm going to adore. His website says the inspiration for this was spring flowers, green branches and roses, as found in many a church on Pentecost Sunday. I put this fragrance on, sniffed for only moments, and rushed off to buy a bottle*, knowing it isn't going to vanish into my skin. Using the best ingredients and, with obvious talent, Paul is producing the best results. Is there a faint whiff of incense? Kudos galore! I haven't smelled anything like this before in a perfume.

*better wait since I might want more!
    Last edited by ScentFan; 23rd December 2013 at 01:31 AM.

Is there a faint whiff of incense?

Oh yes, plenty of incense... Glad you got your samples so quickly during this frantic holiday shipping time... :-)

What Size should I have bottled for you ?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Gold Leather is a fresh and playful leather.
    Just wanted to mention that Gold Leather uses one of the same Tuberose bases that is in Carnal Flower...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Oh yes, plenty of incense... Glad you got your samples so quickly during this frantic holiday shipping time... :-)

What Size should I have bottled for you ?

PK
    I know you've already had plenty, but let me add my congratulations, Paul. Though I'm still fairly new, I'm already appreciating what an accomplishment a perfume like this is. 2.5 hours later and Pentecost has had a beautiful drydown and is lingering on my skin without shouting, just as it should. I'm going to sniff the rest of the samples then place my order, either me or my other half will. He's been asking what I want next. Tonight I told him: PKPerfumes. You're going to need more jumping smilies if the rest are as good as this.

Tonight I told him: PKPerfumes.
    I'm shipping out your order today... Should get it before New years Eve... :-)

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I'm shipping out your order today... Should get it before New years Eve... :-)

PK
    Thanks! So looking forward to it. They're beautiful perfumes.

I just wanna sniff these already!

I just wanna sniff these already!
    I'm not in the sample pass, Kalli. That was my own set.

I'm not in the sample pass, Kalli. That was my own set.
    I know, SF. Just wanting to sniff them soon.

I know, SF. Just wanting to sniff them soon.
    Glad to send u my set if u like. I've already ordered.

Merry Christmas!!!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Merry Christmas to you as well, sir.

Glad to send u my set if u like. I've already ordered.
    Thank you. ScentFan and I are doing a sample set swap, so, I guess my name can be deleted from the pass. But can't wait to try these! Thanks again, SF and to everyone else that are making the pass possible!

Belated Merry Christmas to PK.

Edit, I received the samples! I didn't expect these so quickly, thank you SF.

I went right to Red Leather, hoping I'd smell a lot of carnation. The juice is very potent, which I like. I have to say, I haven't sniffed anything like this. I got woods, green and branchy, wet forest-like and, a wee bit of spice and a good amount of leather. The branchy, green woods seem to dominate here for a bit. Animalic, leather-y 'stanky'. If you are looking for a stank perfume/are a fan of stanky, look no further. Unisex but leaning on masculine for sure. Did I mention this is one, stanky leather?. There is a sweet/tart note and remains behind the leather. I get sweet/tart woods and leather mostly. After a bit, I notice the florals more..sweet, light florals..that break up the stank. Becomes less masculine a bit but still has that heavy leather. This seems like a cold weather scent here for sure. Becomes a bit musky, but still has that sweet. Notes mention castoreum, I smell this note a lot in this one. The amount of cast reminds me of the cast heavy scent, Ambra Di Luna. I guess to summarize, I get branchy, damp-earthy, woods in this, a pop of sweet/tart floral, and a big dollop of animalic, stanky, musky leather. A new or dirty(?) leather jacket, in a dank forest, atop a bed of rhubarb. Very original, did I mention potent?

Being that SF is a fan of Pentecost, that's my next grab. I get breezy, airy florals, green and light. Like a bouquet of flowers and a tinge of sweet greet a breezy sky. What is that tinge of sweetness? Idk. There's a point in sniffing where the bouquet greets you, playfully and innocently..I see this as a happy scent. Pink and perhaps purple and blue florals blowing in the wind on a green hillside..with an airy, light, smoky breeze, raising above the florals. Haven't sniffed anything like this before either! These are strong! EDIT, I just noticed the picture that Pentecost came with! LOL, yes, it smells just like it! .

I like violet, so Violet Chocolatier is next. Upon first sniff from the vial, OK I LIKE THIS. Then I apply, sniff more.. sort of a Tootsie Pop chocolate and violet. It reminds me of one of the Noble 1942 chocolate scents,(#3 to be exact) but more complex. Lovely violet note. The chocolate then becomes 'more serious', rich and deep. It melts into the violet..I see a lot of visuals with these perfumes! No surprise as PK is a visual artist as well. The melted chocolate runs into the violet like I said....I get another floral, rose? The rose adds a bit of seriousness to it. There's a bit of sweetness to this, a fruity sweet, just a bit..oooh, a nice, big, peach comes through and sits on top of the florals. I still smell violet but it's a bit hidden behind the peach and other florals in play here. Stays fruity for a while. Just peachy and floral. Like Gucci Rush dipped in a light, milk chocolate..with the violet somewhere in the middle. Stays very peachy for a bit. If you are craving a giant apricot..look no further! I would say this is a gourmand scent.

These are strong, so I think I needs a break! But that's what I've gotten so far...I need some coffee beans, lol.

Ok, Ginger Zest de Citron:

Out of the vial sniff, boozy! Applied, boozy then quickly soapy...orange rind, bitter orange? Then herbal, something, green herbal or curry. Oh, I checked, it IS curry! Oh shoot!. I have cooked a bit with curry, that's how I picked it up. It's simpler juice than the previous ones I've sniffed. A bright, orange-yellow citrus over ginger zest and curry. I pick up the curry more than the ginger. Warm and very interesting, never smelled anything like this either! I get ginger more as it develops. Stays soapy from the orange but warm from the spices.. so very interesting. It's almost like Orange Star by Tauer with curry and ginger...but with less Taueraide. The mixture of bright and darker/warmer makes this a nice, contrast-y perfume that blends altogether. Fizzy. Like a ginger tea that's been turned into a ginger ale, if that makes sense!

Dirty Rose, is very dirty!!! Like an actual rose covered in fresh, dark soil. Woody, branchy. Nothing sweet. Dry and dirty! Dark, deep rose. I wanna say patchouli but it's really the darkest I've sniffed if it is! Is there a smoke note? And a citrus..bergamot? I looked a bit, there's oud in there-facepalm-lol. Gotta say, this makes Noir de Noir seem not very noir. Just sayin. Not that TF is not..this is just a dark, dark, briar rose. This is noir. Woody! If you are looking for a true, dark, briar rose without it being sweet or fruity, this is for you! One of the darkest roses I've ever sniffed. Impressive. I haven't sniffed too many oud scents but I'd say it's pretty strong on that note! A must sniff if you are a rose fan and/or oud. I know many rose-oud concoctions have been made, of the ones I've sniffed, this is the best quality. Potent stuff too! I thought I got sandalwood as it dries down more. A cold weather scent for sure.

Carissa, a floral-y, rose orange blossom? The orange blossom reminds me of the o blossom in Seville a l'aube. Sweeter like Seville. But a rosy, musked Seville. Jasmine, white floral and orange blossom. A sweet, green, rosy orange blossom. I smell orange blossom the most of these notes. It's sweeter like Seville but greener than that scent, fresher, more floral. Strong on the white florals. Clean, sweet, green but rich. Another potent one!

Nose needs another break.

Zaffran- I first thought of Dzing but stronger and even more animalic. Hard to tell what's all in here but it's interesting! Sorry to compare your scents with others, PK. Just what comes to mind. Strong scent. There's an orange again? Definitely an original composition for sure! Leather? Rose? Cinnamon? A lot going on here. Of course, there's gotta be saffron in here. Spicy, animalic. Just a tinge of cinnamon though not a lot. Another spice. It's like if Dzing and Evening Edged In Gold had a perfume child a bit. Becomes more woody..I peeked at the notes. Sandalwood becomes more prominent as it dries down a bit. The musky, leather side reminds me of Dzing, the cinnamon-y leather, Evening Edged In Gold. Unique for sure.

Going to guess you like orange a bit, PK?.

Ere, A masculine scent..classic smelling at first, with bright, clean florals then becomes a bit herbal. Aquatic. Lotus? Vetiver? Fresh followed by light musks.

Cafe Diem. I got a bread-y orange and lemon over a light coffee. Like dipping a lemon peel biscotti in a coffee drink. The citrus keeps it very bright, clean and sparkly, while the coffee adds a bit of warmth and depth. I thought I smelled oak for a while but instead I get a bit of nuttiness to it. I get more lemon than orange. Like a nutty coffee with lemon zest. Peeked at the notes..I do smell the incense more as dries down some. So, I get lemon zest>coffee> nuts> with a little puff of smoke and a bit of green freshness to it, perhaps some musk. Becomes floral, mostly rose it what I get. What I thought was going to be a rather less complex of a scent turned to be a pretty complex one! Do like the florals in this, rich, rich florals. Very interesting combo! Not very sweet.

Gold Leather- now this one is a beauty! Hard time figuring out what's in it! But it smells just like the name! There is a bit of sweetness, a good amount of sweet orange. This is pretty complex and having a darned time trying to figure out what's in it! It's so well blended. I get more floral than leather. I actually don't pick up a whole lot of leather. I went ahead and peeked at the notes. The notes I pick up the most are the sweet fruit, tuberose, tonka and amber. It's very, very floral. I would see this as a white floral scent more than a leather scent. It reminds me of his earlier Carissa..but a different take on it, keeping an emphasis on the white florals rather than adding roses to the mix. After a bit, can pick up the tobacco, a sweet tobacco. I picked up more leather in Red Leather than in this one. Becomes muskier on the dry down. Really like the opening to this! Unique and a must sniff for anyone I'd say.

Velvet Curacao, honestly, this is one of the most realistic, no, the most realistic floral I've ever smelled. Fresh, green white florals, dewy and fresh. Wow. You have to smell this. I feel like I just put my nose in a bouquet of the freshest, white florals. I get jasmine and maybe lily? This is strong! Notes say gardenia..yes and a very fresh take on it I may add! I am most impressed with this one. Really, it's like being in a garden, after the rain when the floral notes 'open up' more. Very impressed! I get an orange in this one as well, a sweet orange...that seems to emerge more after the big, green, white floral opening. Interesting that I got orange after jasmine. Usually orange I smell on top, it emerges later to my nose. Then the orange becomes more stemmy/branchy, this is where the petitgrain is picked up for me. Becomes more orange-y and stays orange-y/orange blossom-y for a while. Becomes a bit lighter, muskier and a bit woody on the dry down. Then even more musky. The opening to this one, is very, very good!

Well, that's that! This line is a treat for any nose, unique, unlike anything I've smelled. To pick a fave? Idk! I appreciate them all for their compositions. Gold Leather and Velvet Curacao would be in the run for my fave though.

Thanks again ScentFan and PK!.
    Last edited by kalli; 29th December 2013 at 03:12 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm getting excited just reading the descriptions! Pentecost and Dirty Rose interest me most, my fiancé, Gold Leather and Zaffran. We test unisex things together but not each spraying each, we decide who likes what, divide them to test and don't like to wear the same things ever so far.
    Does any or everyone have a set and preferred way to test fragrances for passes or samples or do you vary the way you test things?
    ― Fernando Pessoa