Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Annick Goutal Encyclopędia

Lovely ladies & gents,

We need a thread dedicated to Annick Goutal.

There's been talk of discontinuation & reformulation.

Most of the line is available here locally & I want to explore it before it's culled.

I own & absolutely enjoy the raunchy Heure Exquise edp & Tubereuse.

I'm not averse to feminine scents.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: The Annick Goutal Encyclopędia

Own only 4 ( ) & love them; on my wish list are many more from this house, very under-rated / under-discussed niche house compared to many others we discuss here...Thx Saif for starting this up - 2 grt threads today from u!!!

Sables
    Eau du Sud (one of the best citrus based ever imho, after vintage Eau Sauvage though - however, it's much better than the current Eau Sauvage).
    Myrrhe Ardente - my favorite myrrhe based parfum
    Eau d'Hadrien - another excellent citrus, however, I've read reviews that the Hadrien Absolu is much better than this...

- - - Updated - - -

To add - I find all 4 that I own to be quite unisex...Few others like Mandragore & the Poupre versions are unisex too. Need to revisit my other samples this week!!

- - - Updated - - -

If you order directly from Annick Goutal's website, their CS / SA's are one of the best - very generous too, I was in touch before I ordered all 4, they send in about 20+ samples with my order without me asking any. Only issue is all were non-spray vials, which means, it goes to my "history" w/o being really sampled; however, I will re-visit them this week...

I'm interested in the following:

Folavril by Annick Goutal is a Floral Aldehyde fragrance for women. Folavril was launched in 1981. The fragrance features exotic floral notes, tomato leaf, jasmine, mango and boronia.

Passion is devoted to passionate love. A very delicate floral bouquet has united the notes of tuberose and jasmine from the south of France. The fragrance is soft, warm, and velvety. The soft notes of tuberose and jasmine blend with sweet ylang-ylang and comfortable vanilla. Fragrant tomato leaves brings in a green freshness into the composition, making a nice surprise. The base unites patchouli and oakmoss.

Gardenia Passion is a memory of the spring-time travel of Annick Goutal to Japan, the season of gardenia blooming. Into this fragrance Annick Goutal retrieved the natural rich gardenia scent, the scent of fresh flowers after the rain. Gardenia is surrounded by jasmine, tuberose and orange blossom. The base note is oakmoss. The fragrance has a long luscious trace, versatile in nature due to gorgeous white bouquet.

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women. Vanille Exquise was launched in 2004. Vanille Exquise was created by Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal. The fragrance features angelica, almond, vanilla, musk, sandalwood and guaiac wood.

Grand Amour
    This fragrance Annick Goutal created for herself. It is devoted to love, the most powerful force which can move the worlds. The composition is based on three accords: floral, amber, and musk. In the floral bouquet, lily, honeysuckle, and hyacinth lead the way to Turkish rose, French jasmine, and Indian mimosa, with a touch of fruity notes. Oriental accord (amber) is represented by the notes of amber, vanilla and myrrh. In the base the sensual musk united with precious rare balsams create a very long trace.
    The fragrance was created in 1996.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Myrrhe Ardente - my favorite myrrhe based parfum
    That's the only one I own out of her line and I really love it. It smells exactly like when I am roasting indian myrrhe, guggul.

AG is my favorite house. They have so many excellent and unfortunately, underrated fragrances.

Un Matin d'Orage - elegant gardenia, tuberose, and jasmine notes.
    Le Jasmin - the most beautiful, cool, crisp, and fresh jasmine I've ever smelled. Much better than A La Nuit in my opinion.
    Le Chevrefeuille - a masterpiece of honeysuckle.
    Ambre Fetiche - the complexity and depth beats SL Ambre Sultan.

AG's products use higher amount of natural ingredients. So they don't last very long. The silage of most AG fragrances are moderate. With IFRA's tightened rules regarding natural ingredients, I am not surprised by the discontinuation or reformulation news. But I'll be very sad.

I absolutely agree with you hedonist, Heure Exquise is stunning! I finished my bottle of edp about two years ago and never replaced it thinking it was close enough to No19 to not need both (I have tons of 19 in various vintages and concentrations, and HE is remarkably close to the 80s edp.) But of course now that Heure Exquise is more difficult to find, I'm starting to wish I'd thought differently and gotten another bottle. I think the edt might still be around, but I haven't even considered replacing the lush edp with anything but the same. Do you have the edp or the edt, or have you smelled them both? Is the edt worth seeking out?

My very favorite Goutal is Songes, which is also my very favorite white tropical floral, and to me the very epitome of a sultry, hypnotic and narcotic perfume, absolutely perfect for a balmy summer evening. I primarily get lush and creamy frangipani and gardenia, making it not just one of the most gorgeous frangipani perfumes I know, but also the most wonderful gardenia, which I usually have a hard time with in perfumery as I'm very familiar with the natural fragrance of real gardenias. Songes, though not photo-realistic, paints the most gorgeous impression of gardenia that I've come across, and the frangipani just makes it that much more heavenly.

Grand Amour is another love - the hyacinth is the star, but that's also what makes it not entirely unique, especially if you're already familiar with Chamade, Hermčs Rouge and Rouge Eau Délicate ...although I personally adore hyacinth and find them different enough to happily make a place in my wardrobe for each.

Eau de Charlotte is one of my very favorite fruity-florals, and there's no mistaking it, it's very much a fruity-floral. Currant jam, cocoa, lily of the valley, mimosa and lily all do their part in making it a youthful, sweet and pretty, tart and juicy, polleny, flirty fruity floral. Not really the most unisex Goutal, but there's no reason a guy can't enjoy this cheerful little charmer, too.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Member that Goutal-o-Rama thread?

I like Heure Exquise..kinda too much vanilla for me in that mix though. I do like it..just a bit sweet and vanilla-y. Eau de Charlotte I like as well.

So, there is talk of the whole line being discontinued or just a few? Are they reformulating? Didn't hear about that.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower77 View Post
    AG is my favorite house. They have so many excellent and unfortunately, underrated fragrances.

Un Matin d'Orage - elegant gardenia, tuberose, and jasmine notes.
    Le Jasmin - the most beautiful, cool, crisp, and fresh jasmine I've ever smelled. Much better than A La Nuit in my opinion.
    Le Chevrefeuille - a masterpiece of honeysuckle.
    Ambre Fetiche - the complexity and depth beats SL Ambre Sultan.

AG's products use higher amount of natural ingredients. So they don't last very long. The silage of most AG fragrances are moderate. With IFRA's tightened rules regarding natural ingredients, I am not surprised by the discontinuation or reformulation news. But I'll be very sad.
    Thoroughly agree with you. Many underrated fragrances.
    Un Matin d'Orage sounds very nice.
    Le Chevrefeuille would be perfect if I liked honeysuckle.
    I'll probably like it a year from now when Le Chevrefeuille will be discontinued and impossible to find. Isn't it always like that? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I absolutely agree with you hedonist, Heure Exquise is stunning! I finished my bottle of edp about two years ago and never replaced it thinking it was close enough to No19 to not need both (I have tons of 19 in various vintages and concentrations, and HE is remarkably close to the 80s edp.) But of course now that Heure Exquise is more difficult to find, I'm starting to wish I'd thought differently and gotten another bottle. I think the edt might still be around, but I haven't even considered replacing the lush edp with anything but the same. Do you have the edp or the edt, or have you smelled them both? Is the edt worth seeking out?

My very favorite Goutal is Songes, which is also my very favorite white tropical floral, and to me the very epitome of a sultry, hypnotic and narcotic perfume, absolutely perfect for a balmy summer evening. I primarily get lush and creamy frangipani and gardenia, making it not just one of the most gorgeous frangipani perfumes I know, but also the most wonderful gardenia, which I usually have a hard time with in perfumery as I'm very familiar with the natural fragrance of real gardenias. Songes, though not photo-realistic, paints the most gorgeous impression of gardenia that I've come across, and the frangipani just makes it that much more heavenly.

Grand Amour is another love - the hyacinth is the star, but that's also what makes it not entirely unique, especially if you're already familiar with Chamade, Hermčs Rouge and Rouge Eau Délicate ...although I personally adore hyacinth and find them different enough to happily make a place in my wardrobe for each.

Eau de Charlotte is one of my very favorite fruity-florals, and there's no mistaking it, it's very much a fruity-floral. Currant jam, cocoa, lily of the valley, mimosa and lily all do their part in making it a youthful, sweet and pretty, tart and juicy, polleny, flirty fruity floral. Not really the most unisex Goutal, but there's no reason a guy can't enjoy this cheerful little charmer, too.
    Frankly the Heure Exquise edt isn't worth seeking out.
    When I got the edp a few months ago and decided I needed to back it up, I found that they only had the edt, so I have it a wearing.
    The galbanum that makes it magical is much less in the edt & above all its very fleeting.

I love hyacinth. You should try Jean-Louis-Scherrer by Jean-Louis-Scherrer. Hyacinth & oakmoss galore.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Member that Goutal-o-Rama thread?

I like Heure Exquise..kinda too much vanilla for me in that mix though. I do like it..just a bit sweet and vanilla-y. Eau de Charlotte I like as well.

So, there is talk of the whole line being discontinued or just a few? Are they reformulating? Didn't hear about that.
    Ahh thats right. I do remember that thread. I need to from when I first joined BN. I need to profusely peruse it again!

The SA said some offerings getting culled ,a few reformulated & some revamped packaging.
    All the symptoms that make us perfumistas sad, right.

for swap/sale:

I've only got one sample, Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille, for my Learning Chypre thread, but my plan is to systematically sample the major and important niche houses. Just ordered these from luckyscent. They didn't have many. Guess it's the holidays.

Eau d’Hadrien
    Petite Cherie
    Les Nuits d’Hadrien

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hands-down my favorite Goutal is Eau d'Hadrien, before 2010. The best citrus I've ever smelled, period.

La Violette is my favorite violet fragrance. Des Lys, my favorite lily (discontinued, but there's a new bottle up on eBay right now if anyone cares.)

Rose Absolue was a blind buy that went right (for a change!)

I've owned, and subsequently sold, Ce Soir ou Jamais and Quel Amour!

I forgot about La Violette, LOL. Good stuff.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Hands-down my favorite Goutal is Eau d'Hadrien, before 2010. The best citrus I've ever smelled, period.

La Violette is my favorite violet fragrance. Des Lys, my favorite lily (discontinued, but there's a new bottle up on eBay right now if anyone cares.)

Rose Absolue was a blind buy that went right (for a change!)

I've owned, and subsequently sold, Ce Soir ou Jamais and Quel Amour!
    I'll give La Violette a try.

Rose Absolue is the epitome of rose perfumes.

for swap/sale:

Just checked my list and counted 18 currently in my collection.
    (1131)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just checked my list and counted 18 currently in my collection.
    (1131)
    How are you adding value to the discussion?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How are you adding value to the discussion?
    Sorry, I just love this house. Would it be more helpful to add that Eau de Fier is my favorite one of the ones I have and which I have searched long and hard for. Would die to get a back up bottle of this. I am also a big fan of Eau D'Hadrien Absolu as I find it has great longevity and always seems to keep me in good spirits. Also unlike you, I wasn't disappointed in Nuit Etoilee although I admit it wasn't among my favorites. Sables is the one I seem to get most compliments with. Finally Nifeo Mio is one of my favorite grapefruit accented scents.
    (1132)
    Last edited by hednic; 4th December 2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I love hyacinth. You should try Jean-Louis-Scherrer by Jean-Louis-Scherrer. Hyacinth & oakmoss galore.
    I've worn this for years and have never noticed prominent hyacinth, but now you've got me curious - I bet it'll become quite apparent the next time I sniff it.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I really like the earlier Goutals, and of all, my favourites would be:

-Songes: Lovely, lovely creamy frangipani-dominant white floral with a hint of vanilla. It's a lilting white floral that makes you think of tropical breezes through frangipani trees.
    -Gardenia Passion: I find this a very quirky white floral with lots of earthy, sappy notes. There's something in there that even translates to tea to me, although that's probably just an olfactory illusion. Can't really smell the gardenia to be honest. I had a bottle a long, long time ago and have no idea if the current formulation is similar.
    -Grand Amour: Sweet, green floral, lots of lily and hyacinth, this feels like a spring bouquet done in grand french perfumery style. Every time I smell this I think of a huge floral arrangement of lilies, roses, hyacinth and greens in an immaculate marbled foyer.

Back when I was discovering AG I also loved Passion, but found it a bit too quiet to justify purchasing it. Very beautiful though. From what I can remember, it was a sweet, deep (but quiet), vanillic tuberose/white floral.

It would be such a pity if the earlier Goutals were discontinued, there was something quite special about their garden-inspired but high perfumery signature.

I wonder why this house doesn't get more love. One of my favorite houses for sure. Nifeo Mio and Un Matin D'orage are a couple that I think deserve special attention. I found myself reaching for those a lot this summer. In my opinion annick goutals Vetiver is one of the best if you are a vetiver purist. Straight up dirty earthy vetiver without anything getting in the way. I'm happy I own a bottle of this discontinued bottle. You should try it if you can get your hands on it.

Blog Entries

Un Matin d'Orage is one of my greatest perfume loves; a perfect evocation of a flower garden after the rain, complete with a hint of damp earth. lt has a dewy, limpid quality that l've not found in any other perfume.

Le Chevrefeuille is another favourite; lemony-fresh, not-too-sweet honeysuckle on a spring morning, rather than in the full heat of summer.

l was disappointed with Gardenia Passion; for me it's not about gardenia at all, more tuberose & decaying leaves.

l wanted to love Songes, but couldn't get past the distinct "pencil shavings" note.

Sables is great if you really love immortelle.

l recently bought Ninfeo Mio & Encens Flamboyant when l found them in TK Maxx. NM is something l can imagine loving on a hot summer's day; l think its fresh sharpness would cut through heat & humidity nicely. EF is a good quality, dry but restrained incense; perfect for work on a cold, damp day.

l'm really liking the sound of Grand Amour...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I don't remember pencil shavings in Songes, interesting, but I don't think I tested it for very long.

Is there any one with the smell of leaves, dew , a garden after rainfall.

Cliches I know but getting that sort of accord right is not challenging than replicating the smell of a flower IMO.

for swap/sale:

I guess it went when I was editing, LOL. But there it is! Thanks.

Blog Entries

Is there any one with the smell of leaves, dew , a garden after rainfall.

Cliches I know but getting that sort of accord right is not challenging than replicating the smell of a flower IMO.
    As l mentioned in my earlier post, Un Matin d'Orage is definitely the one you want.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Going purely by their revamped website, the following have been discontinued (or are at least in limited distribution):

Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille
    Folavril
    Eau du Ciel
    Eau de Camille
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Tubereuse
    Le Jasmin
    Le Lys
    Vetiver (in the edt, redone as a cologne)
    Neroil (in the edt, redone as a cologne)

On the other hand, Eau de Monsieur has been revived...

I came late to Goutal.

Sables was my first.

Passion I own the older edp and its big and bold on me with great sillage.

Grand Amour spring floral

Myrrhe Ardente love it, I was lucky to get a 50ml bottle for £29.95 as a back up recently.

Mon Parfum dry patchouli

Petite Cheri edp I was given as a gift, I actually keep it in the fridge. Smells like Porky Pear ice lollies and musk.

Nuit Etoilee another gift

A decant of Ambre Fetiche

Really wish I had bought Eau Lavande when I had the chance.

Loads of Goutals in TKMaxx in the UK at the moment.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    As l mentioned in my earlier post, Un Matin d'Orage is definitely the one you want.
    I'll give it a full wearing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelit8 View Post
    Going purely by their revamped website, the following have been discontinued (or are at least in limited distribution):

Mon Parfum Cheri Par Camille
    Folavril
    Eau du Ciel
    Eau de Camille
    Myrrhe Ardente
    Tubereuse
    Le Jasmin
    Le Lys
    Vetiver (in the edt, redone as a cologne)
    Neroil (in the edt, redone as a cologne)

On the other hand, Eau de Monsieur has been revived...
    Thats too sad. There are some excellent ones.

Like Le Lys and Tubereuse.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Some favorite of mine are - Vanille Exquise, Eau de Camille, Nuits D'Hadrian, as shown in my collection here;

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little collection there, Kumquat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Nice little collection there, Kumquat.
    Thanks, I had a little problem loading the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Some favorite of mine are - Vanille Exquise, Eau de Camille, Nuits D'Hadrian, as shown in my collection here;

image.jpg
    Nice collection indeed.

Does your Vanille Exquise have chicken pox?

Love the wooden box. So rustic.

for swap/sale:

I own Sables (but I know you're not an immortelle fan) and Vetiver (a vetiver with emphasis on the salty, rubbery part). I like Heure exquise too, and may buy. I smelled once and wasn't blown by the various passions and by Grand amour. I liked Eau de Camille as a light green eau de cologne, I may eventually get it for the gym.

As far as I know, vetiver and eau d'hadrien are being supplanted by the new edcs, which are true eau de cologne. Smell nice, gone in 30 min.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I own Sables (but I know you're not an immortelle fan) and Vetiver (a vetiver with emphasis on the salty, rubbery part). I like Heure exquise too, and may buy. I smelled once and wasn't blown by the various passions and by Grand amour. I liked Eau de Camille as a light green eau de cologne, I may eventually get it for the gym.

As far as I know, vetiver and eau d'hadrien are being supplanted by the new edcs, which are true eau de cologne. Smell nice, gone in 30 min.

cacio
    Hi Cacio.

Yes I previously wasnt but now I'm beginning to warm up to immortelle.

I also like Eau de Camille, a softer Eau de Lierre.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Hi, Hedonist, yes the Vanille Exquise is decorated in gold flecks. They do look a bit dark and suspect in the photo! That's such a nice creamy vanilla. Not many people seem to have it. I think it was reissued at one point. I'd get some if I could be sure it was as good as this.

also, with the Eau D'Hadrian, always get the EDP! The EDT is crap.
    Last edited by kumquat; 10th December 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Some photos from the Annick Goutal boutique.

There will be no more coloured bottles as you will see in the below photos. The exceptions are the round bottles which they can engrave your name on within three days!

The staff were just amazing and very informative about the beautiful late Annick Goutal. We had been shopping and were to return the next day but they presented me with a beautiful gift! Was about to head off for tea and they did the rose spritzing on my face and sprayed my fiancee and myself down with Rose Splendide. They were extremely generous!

When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Roses View Post
    Some photos from the Annick Goutal boutique.

There will be no more coloured bottles as you will see in the below photos. The exceptions are the round bottles which they can engrave your name on within three days!

The staff were just amazing and very informative about the beautiful late Annick Goutal. We had been shopping and were to return the next day but they presented me with a beautiful gift! Was about to head off for tea and they did the rose spritzing on my face and sprayed my fiancee and myself down with Rose Splendide. They were extremely generous!

Nice photos. Why did they discontinue the colored bottles? A sign of reformulation?

I don't find any AG boutiques around me (Washington DC). Saks and Neiman Marcus only have a few. Sad.

Nice photos. Why did they discontinue the colored bottles? A sign of reformulation?
    Its a marketing gimmick.

Some people use colors to make decisions. Mostly subconscious.

Suppose a women is very feminine, she'd buy the pink and red ones but not the yellow & blue shaded ones for example.
    Or perhaps a certain bottle color would mismatch her wardrobe or dressing area.
    Also, the colors would deter a lot of guys.
    By making all the bottles the same, you're avoiding sales lost due to cognitive issues.

This is to increase sales.

To reduce cost, you no longer have to worry about how many bottles of X color you need to order or reorder.

Now that they're all the same, you just need to pump in the required perfume & stick on the required name label.

This is much cheaper than uniquely colored bottles per perfume.

Chanel , Dior & most other brands have already started this soulless tactic.

When companies do this, you know they've lost a huge par of thier "soul".

for swap/sale:

Its a marketing gimmick.

Some people use colors to make decisions. Mostly subconscious.

Suppose a women is very feminine, she'd buy the pink and red ones but not the yellow & blue shaded ones for example.
    Or perhaps a certain bottle color would mismatch her wardrobe or dressing area.
    Also, the colors would deter a lot of guys.
    By making all the bottles the same, you're avoiding sales lost due to cognitive issues.

This is to increase sales.

To reduce cost, you no longer have to worry about how many bottles of X color you need to order or reorder.

Now that they're all the same, you just need to pump in the required perfume & stick on the required name label.

This is much cheaper than uniquely colored bottles per perfume.

Chanel , Dior & most other brands have already started this soulless tactic.

When companies do this, you know they've lost a huge par of thier "soul".
    Thank you for your insight. This makes sense. I hope they don't cut corners on the juice when they cut cost on the bottles. But this could be a sign.

I don't find any AG boutiques around me (Washington DC). Saks and Neiman Marcus only have a few. Sad.
    Sorry in getting back to you sunflower77 regarding the bottles that was what interested me and apparently some collectors of Annick Goutal did prefer the uniformity. Interesting as i like my perfume bottles from different houses to be the same the parfumerie generale, FM, Jovoy, as i usually organise by house not note. Regarding reformulations i am uncertain because one of my favourites seemed 'different' but it was at the end of the day and sensory overload had kicked in ! For some reason the boutique as beautiful as it was seemed smaller to what i remembered but we had just been in Jovoy and that was like a huge Alladins cave for us.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Thank you Sea Roses. I think AG is unloading all the old bottles. That's why I have been seeing all sorts of heavily discounted AG fragrances online. I picked up a discontinued Le Jasmin EDP for $52 from a online retailer yesterday. Can't wait to receive it.

Blog Entries

Interesting. Good to know. Where did you find the discounted stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Interesting. Good to know. Where did you find the discounted stuff?
    fragrancestop.com. They have a special section for AG and have tons of stuff. They sell AG sample packs by the dozen. They have the giant bottles, refill bottles, and regular bottles.

Looks like Songes has been reformulated. The old juice was much darker (Amber color for EDT, reddish for EDP). The new juice is light yellow, almost transparent.

Has anyone sniffed it recently and can compare it with the old juice?

Blog Entries

fragrancestop.com. They have a special section for AG and have tons of stuff. They sell AG sample packs by the dozen. They have the giant bottles, refill bottles, and regular bottles.
    Thanks! You're right. They have everything. I'll have to look around for something I need. What do you all think of the 'Muguet' scent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

The new Le Muguet is grassy!

The older Le Muguet was very realistic--more so than any other LOTV I've smelled-- complete with the subtle lilac note that the live flower has. However, it lacked freshness. When you smell a bunch of lilies of the valley, it's as though the air itself is cooled. This was lacking from the earlier Le Muguet and that made it too stuffy for me.

Blog Entries

The new Le Muguet is grassy!

The older Le Muguet was very realistic--more so than any other LOTV I've smelled-- complete with the subtle lilac note that the live flower has. However, it lacked freshness. When you smell a bunch of lilies of the valley, it's as though the air itself is cooled. This was lacking from the earlier Le Muguet and that made it too stuffy for me.
    Thanks, I'll think on that. I do have one I really like, BTW, Santa Maria Novella ​-Mughetta

Hi everyone. I've been reading this thread on my phone. I haven't had a chance to pitch in till now.

Hands-down my favorite Goutal is Eau d'Hadrien, before 2010. The best citrus I've ever smelled, period.]
    Yes 30 R. I had both Eau D'Hadrien and Eau du Sud years ago, maybe 2002 or 2004 or thereabouts. They were both terrific. From memory, (and memory can play tricks!) Hadrien was so bright, and rich, with a cool cypress streak. Sud was similar but it had the edge for me. Sud was more herbal, with a basil note and green resinous notes. Sud was very clean, wee bit soapy, a very refreshing wear. They were both very satisfying for Citrus fragrances. You know, I was complemented on these fragrances many times and I had people ask what I was wearing and where they could get them. Yes, they were that good.

I bought Hadrien again a couple of weeks ago and I think that it is different to the Hadrien of my memory. It's still nice, its bright. I would still recommend it, but the new one seems more sherbetty to me. The old one didn't have that feeling as far as I remember. It had more of a rich oily zesty quality. I don't know about Sud. I haven't come across it in ages.

I also have Ambre Fetiche. This is a stand out dark leathery amber in my view.

bump for one of my favorite houses;

I have bottles of the following:

duel (light tea wit a bit of citrus on me)
    nimfeo mio (fig scented, wet/moist earthy smell with leaves)
    nuit etoilee (spiky/prickly cool pine and mint)
    un matin d'orage (almost has that ozone smell of after the thunderstorm with moist leaves and flowers)
    mandragore pourpre (strong anise with incense on the background)
    eu d sud (better citrus with green herbs, great for warm weather); also better than their bestseller eau d'adrien
    eau d monsieur (smells classic, refreshing).

Well I am a FAN

definitely one of the most underrated and under the radar fragrances; my impression is that people are intimidated with the prim and proper fragrance presentation from the house; too traditional for some noses but isabelle doyen (is one of those not so popular but I consider her one the best perfumers around; also camille goutal is good)
    Last edited by happyscent; 23rd January 2014 at 08:38 AM.

More expanded impressions:

Ninfeo Mio - starts on the most bright, lemon, fresh-green opening imaginable, and it does not smell like lemon pledge. The opening smells expensive. After that, the figs enter all plants and vegetation. There is sharpness and earthy of the smell. It smells like you were frolicking in the garden with under a fig tree, surrounded by indistinct smell of the flowers. The fragrance never loose its earthy grounded quality. On my skin the fragrance last for about 6-8 hours. Great longevity; Projection is about 4 hours, then it becomes skin scent.

Mandragore Pourpre The anise blast wakes you up to a day of mystery where something is a foot. A rustle, a strong breeze sweeps you by and you smell of smoky incense. The fragrance is very subtle, you get wifts on the most unexpected times. Is it magical?, probably not, but you get a sensual fragrance, mysterious and a little bit distant throughout the day. Perfect scent for an adventure. Original, Unique and definitely recommended. This one is a solid 8 hours on my skin. Projection is good for the first 4 hours and it becomes a skin scent for the rest of its life.

Nuit Etoille - my first purchase from the house of Annick Goutal, Mint and Pine combination. The opening has the harsh-mint quality and eventually, like an evening flower opening, the mint goes into a very smooth transition - pine and mint. Afterwhile, the fragrance becomes skin scent and what happens is truly magical. The mint, pine and woods combines to foresty-pine smell. It is like you rub your whole body in pine leaves. The smell also captured the prickly quality of those pine leaves. It can last 4-6 hours on my skin but this one is a total skin scent on me from start to finish.

An opinion on the house of Annick Goutal:
    The house of Annick Goutal has always capitalize stories, intimate stories of annick goutal herself, her daughters, her husband and her travels across the world. In a marketing perspective, I feel connected to their fragrances, there were special and personal, that the perfumer herself want to share to the rest of the world. A fragrance with a heart. What more can you ask?

The house have always maintained a high level of consistency without having a line-up that smells exactly as any other fragrance from any other line or within its own selections. I give credit to Doyen for her brilliance. Having an inhouse perfumer really preserved a level of integrity for the fragrance house.

Annick Goutal has always prided in soloflores offering even if it is not IN thing or the popular NOTE (like oud) in niche perfumery. In a sense AG do not follow the trends of the mass market. They do their own thing regardless if it will do well or be a best seller in the market. I do not know the current profile of annick goutal customers. But I am one of them :P

The Annick Goutal house creates fragrances that always smell natural (not necessarily pure essential oils) but it smells natural, a spring air captured, after the rain effect, the simplicity of a blooming flower, a play on a different vetiver fragrance or vanilla. Truly extraordinary when you compare it their offerings to other houses. They even produce fragrances that were later similarly interpreted by more popular niche houses. When you check the dates, Annick Goutal did it first

With the recent change of owners and repackaging, I do hope they continue exploring interesting takes on fragrances. I hope the perfumers will still have a bit of free hand what goes to market. I hope it will not happen that, extensive market research will be done just to have a fragrance that will sell in the millions. I do hope they will continue to offer fragrances that will tell a story and capture watercolor paintings of the world and beauty.

The following fragrances are I think creative exercises for the perfumer Isabelle Doyen for AG: a lot of play on aroma chemicals and subtlety: Un Matin d'orage; ninfeo mio; madragore pourpre, and le Chevrefeuille *fragrances were composed with camille goutal

I think Doyen is even better than Jean Claude Ellena in terms of composition and layering? haha; Elena's composition has a tendency to smell like glorified air fresheners
    Last edited by happyscent; 8th February 2014 at 07:09 PM.

Weakness of the Brand: It is a double edge sword in terms of quality and interpretation, because of its very nature --- watercolor aspects and light hand of the perfumer. Most of the fragrances from the line are short lived, fleeting, and skin scents. But I sometimes wonder, if the fragrances were not fleeting or light, I may not appreciate the very nature of their beauty.

Please do not be discourage that being short lived means poor quality. That is not the case for the house of Annick Goutal. I feel they are one of the few houses remaining who has that dedication to continue incorporating high quality materials (natural or synthetic) and to smell is to believe what I am typing about

Confessions of an Annick Goutal Fanboy

Interested in trying the Nuit Etoille, however, I think there is an immortelle note in there, how big is that note in this perfume? Thanks.

I am not sure I can smell immortelle on my skin. My skin amplify the pines, mint, woody notes and tonka been to the highest level :P So the smell is a fresh dawn forest smell on my skin, really lovely. Some reviewers will say there is a smokiness to the woods and I also get that.

A picture of ninfeo mio, nuit etoille and mandragore pourpre - Beautiful bottles

I've tried only two, La Violette and Songes. I didn't care for La Violette, but that's only because I don't much like violet as the main note. Will be sampling Songes again soon ( when the temperatures get warmer ). It is a lovely, creamy, exotic fragrance. In fact, it has surpassed tuberose for me, tuberose being an old favorite of mine. Gardenia seems less strident than tuberose, but no less powerful. Now that I think about it, I might test it today just to find out how it behaves in mid-winter. I am sorry to learn that this house is also being compromised before I've had a chance to properly try it. I am particularly interested in Eau de Camille since I don't have experience with fresh, green fragrances.

Blog Entries

Nice post, happyscent. l own & love both Un Matin d'Orage & Le Chevrefeuille, & to me they are among the most beautiful fragrances l've ever smelled. "Watercolour paintings" describes them very well; l agree that if they were "done in oils" they would lose a lot of their beauty.

l also own Encens Flamboyant, & this one is surprisingly long-lasting. Others can smell it on me hours after l think it's faded.

Watercolor paintings does describe some of the line very well.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I've tried only two, La Violette and Songes. I didn't care for La Violette, but that's only because I don't much like violet as the main note. Will be sampling Songes again soon ( when the temperatures get warmer ). It is a lovely, creamy, exotic fragrance. In fact, it has surpassed tuberose for me, tuberose being an old favorite of mine. Gardenia seems less strident than tuberose, but no less powerful. Now that I think about it, I might test it today just to find out how it behaves in mid-winter. I am sorry to learn that this house is also being compromised before I've had a chance to properly try it. I am particularly interested in Eau de Camille since I don't have experience with fresh, green fragrances.
    la violette - It smells sweet but not two sweet, it has the cold-ice quality when you spray it. Hard to explain but it is there. I am also not a big fan of violette but I consider it one of the best Violette interpretations together with serge lutens bois d Violette.

Better get a bottle of eau d camille, it is already discontinued since last year I think. Camille is sweet-green on my nose. Just don't look on the name, a man can pull this off but better a young lady will smell fantastic on this.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Nice post, happyscent. l own & love both Un Matin d'Orage & Le Chevrefeuille, & to me they are among the most beautiful fragrances l've ever smelled. "Watercolour paintings" describes them very well; l agree that if they were "done in oils" they would lose a lot of their beauty.

l also own Encens Flamboyant, & this one is surprisingly long-lasting. Others can smell it on me hours after l think it's faded.
    thanks! glad to add something to the encyclopedia - annick goutal thread, I will continue updating as I get more inspirations or something to write about

Great you also love un matin d'orage & le chevrefueille - hard to type those names, it may also be the reason it is not much talked about haha when I got un matin d'orage that was a WOW moment for me, my nose telling me a smell of crackling lightning and a smell of wet flowers, leaves, earth and dirt all captured in a fragrance. A work of a brilliant mind.

chevrefue.. - is also a masterpiece, I imagine the sheer mind force required to recreate honeysuckle in a fragrance, it is simply amazing. No interpretation is better or successfully done.

In my country, les orientalist series is not to be found at all. I do hope they decide to carry this in the future.
    Last edited by happyscent; 8th February 2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: wrong grammar

Since last year I have bought several perfumes by Annick Goutal. This weak I was wearing

- Mandragore Limited Edition (colourless perfume in the colourless round bottle): this smells slightly spicy and is very comforting

- Grand Amour (Eau de Toilette) which starts green with lily and honeysuckle, joined later by leather. For my nose it gets sweet and flowery.

I like the likening of Annick Goutal perfumes to watercolour paintings, that's so suitable.

Our mission is for our clients to experience True Emotion. A unique and extraordinary experience designed so that clients discover the world of French high perfumery. A perfumery of Emotion and Creation, embodied in magnificent products and places that promote sharing and discovery.

We hope to share our emotionally-rich authentic history - to share the excellence of the unique heritage of our olfactory creations and offer a timeless moment of happiness and poetry, an enchanting break.

In 2013, the Annick Goutal House opted for a quiet revolution which builds on the bedrock of its heritage, as well as its power of emotion: a seamless transition, a sustainable breath of fresh air towards a new chapter.

A Know-How of French High Perfumery

Out of a desire for authenticity, the bottles, products and packagings are made exclusively in France by expert craftsmen, resulting in an exceptional finesse in its detail. The finishing decorative touches are, most of them, all done by hand, each one conveying a memory in the creator’s life.

As Annick Goutal liked to point out “luxury is in the details”. High Perfumery Know-How combined with a retro-chic style reflecting the unique, timeless world of Annick Goutal.

A universe of Emotion

Discovering the world of Annick Goutal is a unique experience. The secret of Annick Goutal lies in her talent for transforming emotions into fragrances. Each perfume tells a story, embodies a real moment: the memory of a loved one, a significant event or a moment of happiness, a magical place. Or it may be inspired by nature which she loved so much. “Each of my fragrances was born from an instant of my life, an emotion, a very intense moment of communication with nature. Thanks to the gift I have been given, I am in the very fortunate position of being able to take what I receive, translate it through the harmony of fragrance and pass it on in my own way.”

For Annick, creating perfume was an act of love, a quest of eternity. Love, like music, was her true reason to live. “Love is everything. You must never forget that in the end, the purpose of the perfume is to make you happy. I always have tried to do good, with much love. » Through her creations, Annick Goutal wanted to express her joy of living and make the world more beautiful. She composed her fragrances to deliver well-being and happiness. She naturally followed her instinct and her sense of beauty.

Today Camille and Isabelle create perfumes in the same spirit, with total creative freedom.

http://www.annickgoutal.com/en/home.aspx

Fragrance Layering:

Eau du Sud

To awake the fresh and citrus notes of Eau du Sud, combine it with Eau d'Hadrien.
    Or bring more mystery with the perfume Mandragore, or finally, a more spicy and salty touch with the Cologne Vétiver

Ninfeo Mio

To revive the fresh citrusy notes of Ninfeo mio, associate it with Eau d'Hadrien.

Mandragore

To intensify Mandragore and bring it a mystery note, we recommend you to combine it with the chypré Mandragore Pourpre.

Nuit Etoilee

To sublimate this night escapade under the milky way, here are our little secrets… :
    A hint of Eau d'Hadrien to awaken the fresh and tonic notes of citrus (eau de toilette, eau de parfum, body cream),
    Or a touch of Eau du Sud or Mandragore which aromatic accords bring a burst of energy in the middle of this starry night...
    Or a caress of Ninfeo mio to flatter the wooden base,
    Or Sables to beautify the spicy warmth of the wild everlasting flowers,
    Or Encens Flamboyant, for the fir balsam, common resin to both fragrances, which will transform the composition into a comforting balm as time passes...
    And why not Sables, to embellish to spicy warness of everlasting flowers... Also, all the lovers of the mythical candle Noėl will fall under the spell of Nuit Etoilée. They will find the flavor of the sweet orange and the heat of Siberian pine. A must-have

Duel

Duel loves the contact with the skin : by spraying it directly on your neck or your chest, its fragrance will mix and get lost with the own smell of your skin, thus creating a rivalry... a duality.

Sables

Sables is superbe worn alone… However, you can personalize it with other fragrances like Ambre Fétiche or Vanille Exquise to warm up the deep notes.

Mandragore Pourpe

The head notes are identical to the fragrance Mandragore but are accentuated and more intense in this composition : more aromatic and spicy. For this reason, we recommend you to associate the two fragrances together, Mandragore Pourpre bringing a new chypré note.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien

Revive the fresh of citrus notes with Eau d'Hadrien. Or warm up the oriental notes with a hint of Ambre Fétiche or Sables…

Encens Flamboyant

As the ingredients are mainly raw materials from vegetal resin origin and usually used as base notes in the fragrances, we advise you not to trust your first impression : leave the fragrance the time to blossom on your skin... After a while the perfume will finally reveal you the strenght of its personality. Encens Flamboyant can be worn alone or combined with Ambre Fétiche, Mandragore Pourpre or the feminine fragrance Songes.

Musc Nomade

The smell of the musk can seem imperceptible for some persons… It is intimist, transparent and soft. Nevertheless it is an indispensable ingredient to allow the perfume to hold well on the skin. The musk will wake up by sparks throughout the day and its scents will surprise you as by magic, but in a reassuring way.

Thanks for starting off a Thread for this house, hedonist! I really need to pay attention to more in the line - I have tended to gloss over so many of the 'femmes' but from everyone's contributions here I can see a need to remedy that.

I own a few. Madragore is probably my favorite, just such an unusual riff on a terrific classical citrus / herbal composition. I bought Pourpre but I'm wondering why, frankly - I really prefer the original.

Encens Flamboyant was the first one I bought - a very nice 'moist' incense. Duel is also great, the first introduction to maté as a lead not, although I think L'Heure Fougueuse has nudged it aside - Duel seems a bit too sweet by comparison now.

Mon Parfum Cheri par Camille is the most recent purchase. I wasn't sure because I doubt I would wear it much - not a great fan of patchouli - but a 50ml came up on sale here and that's perfect. This is such a terrific 'nu-chypre' that I think anyone should own some just to have a reference as to what can be achieved even in the face of the ludicrous EU / IFRA restrictions on oak moss. It's like a hip Aromatics Elixir to me - ballsy and fun, very retro but with a twist.

Some quirky recommendations from annick goutal website:

Choosing or changing your perfume is a delicate and important moment.

I have so much respect for reflecting on this important choice that I don't like letting my salespeople sell the first time that a customer smells a perfume. I want my boutiques to be a place where you take the time to listen, to observe, to advise. Inevitably, certain types of women will be attracted to certain perfumes.

It is rare that brunettes like me don't like the seductive quality of Passion or Grand Amour.
    Normally women, who are more pale, with bright grey-blue eyes like Heure Exquise, a fragile and transparent perfume.
    For redheads, Folavril or Eau d'Hadrien is an immediate fit.
    Mischievous women are directed towards Eau de Charlotte.
    And we can always tell the women who were Tubéreuse from their deep dark eyes

But this is not a good reason to avoid other experiences. For a perfect, successful purchase, you have to go home and make sure that the perfume fits well with the odors of your home. You also have to test the reactions of your friends and family. Once I stopped wearing a perfume just because Camille didn't like it!”

How to perfume yourself
    Discreetly. A perfume is a secret between you and yourself. Only your closest friends even know it exists." First step: in the morning, just after a shower with a perfumed gel, splash on an Eau de Toilette, dress, put on makeup, and once ready, spray high a light cloud of perfume. You can spin in this cloud to lightly perfume your hair, clothes - discretely, but intimately. By putting a touch below your ear, in the nape of your neck, like a whispered secret to those you love. At the end: slip into your breast pocket a handkerchief touched with several touches of your favorite perfume."

Notable Quotes:

Annick Goutal is a High Perfumery House, guided by the values of its creator and characterized by its remarkable sophistication and the excellent quality of its raw materials. Annick Goutal's secret lies in its talent for transforming emotions into fragrances. Each unique creation represents a moment of happiness, a treasured emotion, or a powerful memory connected to a significant event or even a loved one. It is the age-old quest for eternity. The Annick Goutal house has established itself over the years as the brand favored by those who prefer the authentic to the ostentatious and craftsmanship to mass production.

Annick Goutal : " You must never forget that in the end, the purpose of the perfume is to make you happy. I always have tried to do good, with much love. And I have always kept close a quote I've taken from a book whose name I can't remember: 'Always give back gifts you have received, but not necessarily to those who sent it to you... "

Camille Goutal : “In the imaginary of the perfumery, there is a part of eroticism and sensuality. Certain customers do not use fragrance, but only perfumed body creams, a gesture which corresponds more to them. This is linked to their life, their story, and I am here to help them to find their perfume and listen to their sense. At the age of 40, you are sensual when you feel loved. That is worth all the beauty creams… This self-confidence is then perceived by the others.”
    Last edited by happyscent; 17th February 2014 at 08:24 AM.