Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Today I Bought - December, 2013

Nice story too!

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    ScentFan, what a haul! There is no responses because everybody is still trying to wipe off the drool while picking up their jaws from the floor!

Niiiiiiiiiice!
    Yes, I guess it is, isn't it? I feel kind of weird because he's still buying perfumes. Guess he's trying to get me back. I told him I'm not for sale, but now I'm not so sure! Don't drool, though. To be in my shoes you'd have to live this story.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    What an incredible story, wow!
    That's only part of it. Another factoid. Somehow he broke his left foot at the ankle shortly after moving. Guess what? Not too long and I broke my right foot at the ankle. Together we had two working feet.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I am ScentFan's official PR Officer
    Thank you, hedonist222. My pics always come out dark.

Nice story too!
    Thanks. Wonder how it's going to end. No idea, actually.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 17th December 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Wow ScentFan, I love the perfumes, but even more, I love the story. It's lovely to hear that true love can triumph over even our most disastrous attempts to kill it!

Well, not for me but I got for my ex-MIL (kids' grandma) Summer of Love from Neil Morris, and 5 samples from same to give to the ex-SIL (kids' aunt). Fetish, Hippie, Summer of Love, Gandhara, Rumi. Both these ladies seem more like conservative floral or rose ladies but both say they hate florals and love more *masculine* stuff. Never can tell I guess.

For me samples of Woodland Strawberry and Posh (I am using them as minis, not samples. Already know I like these. FB for me are either loves, complicated calculations of what I like better than what, or things that I get a great deal on!!!)

Wow, scentfan! What a romantic story. Sigh. And your perfume acquisitions are good, too.

For myself, I bought 2 small bottles of vintage Emeraude - one is PDT and the other is parfum. Also, I bought Vanille Tonka. And, I am awaiting some vintage Tabu parfum. All these perfumes came from eBay. So far, so good. I didn't buy all of them today; they were purchased over the past 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hi, all. So looking forward to really investigating Dior, Annick Goutal, O'Driu, Profumum, Roja Dove. Lovely vintages, Xscent!

Well, here are my latest acquisitions, most surprise gifts from "once and future" after learning I loved a perfume. Is it part of why I'm remarrying him? Heck, maybe! Here's the story. By now it's clear the divorce didn't and won't take. We're just as close as ever. On the day he drove away three years ago next month, I -- previously stoic and determined -- stood in the garage and started to cry. He told me to buck up. We'd made this decision. Let's go through with it. Logical (among other things, we're both engineers), so I stopped crying. He phoned periodically as he drove halfway across the country to his new home. Was I fine? I was. Was he? Yep. Good. He arrived at his new place, with a long to-do list. Three days later it was done. He of few words and zero tears called to say, "I burst out crying in the grocery store." I told him to buck up. He did. The universe, sick of us, intervened. I received a notice. Did I know the Russian version of a book I have personal interest in was housed in only one USA library? -- in the city where my guy lived? The next door neighbors came to ask if I'd watch the house, they're going out of town. Where to? The city where my guy lived. I received an email from a very nice woman I'd met at a spa and hadn't heard from in ages. Would I come visit? Where did she reside? (No kidding!) In the city where my guy lived. Giving in, I went, not seeing him until the end. We had dinner and have talked, emailed, texted and skyped almost daily since. Now and then we did try zero contact, but something would happen. Example. Thinking I was having a heart attack, medics took me to a hospital. My guy (aka emergency contact) hopped a plane. Turned out it was only vertigo. He got sick. I hopped a plane. A bad hurricane headed toward me. He hopped a plane. Etcetera. Thankfully, he's now moved closer. Before the universe kills us both off so it can bury us in the same grave, we thought we'd best get back together. We took out a marriage license and will almost 100% surely use it before its January 26 expiration. Besides, okay, we love each other! Looking skyward. Satisfied?

More or less left to right in a contest of ravishing beauties:

Jeke by Slumberhouse
    Ambre Premier by Jovoy
    Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse
    Bois de Santal by KM
    Odalisque by Nicolai
    Untitled #1 by Magnetic Scent
    En Avion by Caron
    Olene by Diptyque
    Accord 119 by Caron
    Enlevement au Serail by MDCI
    La Route de Emeraude by Isabey
    Thanks Scentfan what a spectacular haul and taste you have m'dear. (Hugs) Sorry can't help myself. I love that you're remarrying your 'once and future' I'm not big on fate but the universe really wanted you two together. Only wish the universe would give me clearer signals in regards to my 'once' or maybe I'm just missing them all. How are you enjoying untitled #1?

Apparently I'm in for a big surprise some vintage limited editions from Guerlain? Have no idea what the heck they would be.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Thanks Scentfan what a spectacular haul and taste you have m'dear. (Hugs) Sorry can't help myself. I love that you're remarrying your 'once and future' I'm not big on fate but the universe really wanted you two together. Only wish the universe would give me clearer signals in regards to my 'once' or maybe I'm just missing them all. How are you enjoying untitled #1?

Apparently I'm in for a big surprise some vintage limited editions from Guerlain? Have no idea what the heck they would be.
    Careful what you wish for, Xscent. Trust me, you don't want a broken foot. You're probably a better listener than I am and don't need such big signals. I ADORE Magnetic Scent Untitled #1. Are you the one who recommended it? If so, thank you! It has more depth and lots more longevitity than several of my other Jasmines. Vintage limited edition Guerlains? Whoa! Sounds tremendous. Please post pics when you get them. I've yet to really explore Guerlain but I know I'm in for it when I do. Right now I'm sniffing a vintage Caron that's getting better and better on the drydown. Will probably end up in vintage with them, too, certainly Bellodgia. Not sure what I have is the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Wow ScentFan, I love the perfumes, but even more, I love the story. It's lovely to hear that true love can triumph over even our most disastrous attempts to kill it!
    I guess we'll remarry. Pretty sure, anyway. Not saying I have cold feet or anything (anybody notice a chill in here?) We're BFFs, no matter what!

Thanks, Curly11 and congrats to you on your purchases. Not familiar with them, yet, but hopefully one day. Also to you, Robin-in-FL. You sound like a pretty nice lady, giving gifts to ex inlaws.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 18th December 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Scentfan, wishing you all the best with 'your guy' and your new sniffs.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Careful what you wish for, Xscent. Trust me, you don't want a broken foot. You're probably a better listener than I am and don't need such big signals. I ADORE Magnetic Scent Untitled #1. Are you the one who recommended it? If so, thank you! It has more depth and lots more longevitity than several of my other Jasmines. Vintage limited edition Guerlains? Whoa! Sounds tremendous. Please post pics when you get them. I've yet to really explore Guerlain but I know I'm in for it when I do. Right now I'm sniffing a vintage Caron that's getting better and better on the drydown. Will probably end up in vintage with them, too, certainly Bellodgia. Not sure what I have is the real thing.

You need to thank the darling Sea Roses for the recommendation and I agree it's a beautifully done jasmine. There will be plenty of people who can help you along when you get to the vintage Guerlains . As for signals I don't want a broken foot but something besides white noise would be nice.

XScent, I think you have marvelous taste and your discernment is probably better than you realize. If you're getting white noise, perhaps the signal is "wait a bit and enjoy the time".

I just ordered 2ml samples for the Bachelor's stocking:

1 x Parfums de Nicolai New York
    1 x Lalique Encre Noir Eau de Toilette (Unisex version)
    1 x Chanel Sycomore (Les Exclusifs)
    1 x Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Avignon
    1 x Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    1 x Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    1 x Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood
    1 x Guerlain Vetiver
    1 x Creed Green Irish Tweed
    1 x Yves Saint Laurent Kouros EDT
    1 x Knize Ten EDT
    1 x Creed Aventus
    1 x Dior Eau Sauvage
    1 x Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT

Now I'm thinking I also need Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule for him because omg, it just would be great on him.

I also bought Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau for my niece for Christmas. My sister begged me to help refine her perfume palate. She was begging for the One Direction perfume to add to her Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, sugary fruity hot mess. Plus she tends to mix them all. She's 12 now so I'm going to tell her this is her first grown up perfume and can't be mixed. I've read pretty good reviews on it for a younger girl. I am hoping it will still be sparkly enough for her, but refined enough for her mom to enjoy too.

Now I have to decide what to get for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    XScent, I think you have marvelous taste and your discernment is probably better than you realize. If you're getting white noise, perhaps the signal is "wait a bit and enjoy the time".

I just ordered 2ml samples for the Bachelor's stocking:

1 x Parfums de Nicolai New York
    1 x Lalique Encre Noir Eau de Toilette (Unisex version)
    1 x Chanel Sycomore (Les Exclusifs)
    1 x Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Avignon
    1 x Hermes Terre D'Hermes
    1 x Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    1 x Tom Ford Private Blend Oud Wood
    1 x Guerlain Vetiver
    1 x Creed Green Irish Tweed
    1 x Yves Saint Laurent Kouros EDT
    1 x Knize Ten EDT
    1 x Creed Aventus
    1 x Dior Eau Sauvage
    1 x Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT

Now I'm thinking I also need Serge Lutens Santal Majuscule for him because omg, it just would be great on him.

I also bought Shalimar Parfum Initial L'eau for my niece for Christmas. My sister begged me to help refine her perfume palate. She was begging for the One Direction perfume to add to her Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, sugary fruity hot mess. Plus she tends to mix them all. She's 12 now so I'm going to tell her this is her first grown up perfume and can't be mixed. I've read pretty good reviews on it for a younger girl. I am hoping it will still be sparkly enough for her, but refined enough for her mom to enjoy too.

Now I have to decide what to get for me!!
    (((Elirzj))) you are an absolute sweetheart. Sage words m'dear and for the moment, I'm finding there is undeniable beauty and grace to be found just being in my own quiet company.

Wonderful selection for Bachelor some of my absolute favourites. I don't envy your sister being in that house with that celebriscent combo, good call on the Guerlain. Now you must go and get something for yourself. I insist or I will send something your way when I'm in NY and not subject to silly aviation rules about sending hazardous material, pffff! I think you need some Coromandel or Bois des Îles.

Well after much badgering Scentfan I managed to get a clue 'a late 90's reissue'. Now I'm having to restrain myself from googling which Guerlain that would be. In the meantime I bought myself some vintage Bellodgia EdC, I need to start familiarising myself with the Carons again.
    Last edited by Xscent; 19th December 2013 at 01:50 PM.

I've already mentioned this in the sotd thread, but I'm still excited about it (and quite pleasantly surprised as I didn't have very high hopes for it) but I received a bottle of Penhaligon's Iris Prima as a Christmas gift yesterday, and I'm wearing it today.

Wow, elizrj - what a wonderful stocking-full!! He sure has his work cut out for him, but at least it's fun and smells nice! He's gonna love 'em.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

XScent, you are so sweet! I seriously can't believe that perfume is "hazardous". So frustrating. I'll definitely buy something for myself. I'm getting a year end bonus, so I'm not sure what to buy. Something I wouldn't otherwise. Bois and Coromandel are both good picks. Half the fun will be anticipating what I can buy, so I'm sure I'll hold off a bit and just have fun with that. Yes, I was one of the kids who didn't want to open the Christmas presents right away because then it was all over

Thanks for the kudos Evangeline & Xscent on the picks for the bachelor. Cant wait to sniff his neck when he's wearing these. And I'm definitely excited about getting my niece her first "grown up" scent. Hope she takes to it and leaves those nausea-inducing scents behind! Although I must admit to contributing to that by dumping my Betsy Johnson on her and encouraging her to spray with abandon. It's fun when you are not the recipient. It's kinda like buying my nephews drums. But my sister looked so frantic when I was contemplating what scent to buy her THIS Christmas. She prefaced her request with "for the love of God and all that is holy...". Hard to douse her in another terrible scent after that! ;P

Elizrj, some good stuffers there for the Bachelor.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Yves Rocher Un Matin au Jardin Muguet en Fleurs gift set (100 ml EDT+ 200 ml shower gel)

Bought just over a third of 200ml bottle of Bel Respiro by Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I've already mentioned this in the sotd thread, but I'm still excited about it (and quite pleasantly surprised as I didn't have very high hopes for it) but I received a bottle of Penhaligon's Iris Prima as a Christmas gift yesterday, and I'm wearing it today.
    Very nice, Evangeline. I have yet to try a Penhaligon, but I'm looking forward to it.

Having my usual re con round TKMaxx cosmetic department this morning spotted LT Piver

Homme £12.99

Cedre
    Cuir
    Vetiver All £16.99.

Bought the Cedre.
    DONNA

The vintage Tabu parfum arrived yesterday. The last time I smelled it was approximately 40 years ago at some drugstore in the town where I grew up. I was with my mother and when I mentioned that it smelled good, she gave me a disapproving glance and said something about it not being a "nice" perfume. ???? I was young, what did I know? So, yesterday I dabbed some on the back of my hand and was rewarded by a lovely, spicy floral, balsamic scent reminiscent of Opium or Nuit de Noel. There was just the slightest touch of an animalic smell. I look forward to decanting some and finding out how spraying makes a difference.

Well done, curly11 - I picked up some elderly Trussardi & am hoping that it turns out to be the one that I had in the 80's as it was quite good at the time!
    $T2eC16dHJI!FHSoKSGVzBSNJN1s,ug~~60_35.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Well done, curly11 - I picked up some elderly Trussardi & am hoping that it turns out to be the one that I had in the 80's as it was quite good at the time!
    I am unfamiliar with Trussardi. It is satisfying to become reacquainted with the older fragrances that now stand out as being well-blended and of high quality. In the case of Tabu, it was simply an inexpensive drugstore perfume back in the day. And good for you as well, lpp. Here's hoping your purchase meets your expectations.

Times two? Not bad I love this fragrance in summer.

Thanks, Blue_Eyez - I've been hoping to find some for ages & they're not huge ones!

Curly11 - isn't it interesting re-visiting some of these with hindsight?

I managed to pick up some Philosophy Fresh Cream on eBay, hoping it'll satisfy my craving for milk.$T2eC16F,!)0E9s37Fb0mBSBRM6!5rg~~60_35.JPG

And I visited L'Occitane and came home with Eax de Baux and Santal&Amberfathers-day-gifts-for-the-well-groomed-dad-shower-gel.jpg
    Last edited by danieq; 21st December 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks, Blue_Eyez - I've been hoping to find some for ages & they're not huge ones!

Curly11 - isn't it interesting re-visiting some of these with hindsight?
    Yes, it is. I also have a better understanding of my own current preferences after smelling a couple of the fragrances that were common when I was developing an appreciation for perfume.

Yves Rocher Fraicheur Vegetale Verveine
    Yves Rocher Les Plaisirs Nature Peche Jaune

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Having my usual re con round TKMaxx cosmetic department this morning spotted LT Piver

Homme £12.99

Cedre
    Cuir
    Vetiver All £16.99.

Bought the Cedre.
    Lol, pity I didnt spot homme
    But bought three of others))

Trussardi - in my wish list, as lots of other "old school" italians for this year! It will be my italian year)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuba View Post
    Lol, pity I didnt spot homme
    But bought three of others))

Trussardi - in my wish list, as lots of other "old school" italians for this year! It will be my italian year)
    Could you please characterize "old school" Italian?

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    Could you please characterize "old school" Italian?
    Lol. You can not rely on what I say, I am a pre-school if to compare with 90% of ppl over here. To me "old school" is one which is makes perfect sense for me - associations with opera, Fellini, streets of Rome, apotethecary, chypre

But I want to get Nobile, Popy Moreni, Soprani, Capucci, Firenze, Carthusia, Santa Maria Novella Potpourri, Prince Matchabelli, Gabriela Sabatini..etc etc etc

Something which is not Prada or Bvlgary

Elizabeth Arden Green Tea

queen of the universe

Ebay victory! Weil Noir. No kidding; this one is a rarity.

m-ezfpnYemATxMZD4l3NQLQ.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Well done jujy54!
    Just bought some packs of Papiers D'Armenie of various sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyuba View Post
    Lol. You can not rely on what I say, I am a pre-school if to compare with 90% of ppl over here. To me "old school" is one which is makes perfect sense for me - associations with opera, Fellini, streets of Rome, apotethecary, chypre

But I want to get Nobile, Popy Moreni, Soprani, Capucci, Firenze, Carthusia, Santa Maria Novella Potpourri, Prince Matchabelli, Gabriela Sabatini..etc etc

Something which is not Prada or Bvlgary

You are way ahead of me! Thanks for the clarification.

Ipp I have this in the flask (splash bottle) and it's wonderful! Congratulations.

Another big back up bottle of Bois des Îles and also a big bottle of Beige for me. Now to wait for my friend to bring it back from New York.

Thank you, Xscent - and congratulations to you as well!

Raced in TK Maxx and got last bottle in the box of Pecksniffs Zesty Citrus for lonely family male-friend. I didn't have choice anyway, considering I never tried anything from Pecksniffs - very lively. At least will not make him depressed))

Had another quick wander in TKMaxx and spotted the last bottle of L.T.Piver Eau Pour Homme at £12.99, so bought it.
    DONNA

One of these just turned up.
    $_35.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Had another quick wander in TKMaxx and spotted the last bottle of L.T.Piver Eau Pour Homme at £12.99, so bought it.
    I didnt see in our shop

One of these just turned up.
    $_35.JPG
    I received 5 minutes ago my bottle from So Lippy, lpp!!! So happy!

That's great, Lyuba - glad to hear that it sorted out for you!

Yardley April Violets- this time, for myself. Though apparently a female fragrance, personally rating it more as unisex.

After a sample I got Anne Pliska and like it interesting fragrance
    Also have Bond 9 Central Park West and dh loves it and
    mentions it evertime I wear it also love Central Park South

Shiseido Zen Sun
    and
    Flaconnable pour elles
    Last edited by lpp; 26th December 2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Swap request

We're not allowed to post swaps/sales/etc., in the discussion threads, Lyuba so I've edited your post!

Members need to qualify in order to start Marketplace threads here, but you can reply to relevant Swaps threads posted by other members.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/314...ed-please-read

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar - Tauer.

Tried not to - but it's awfully nice.

Sound Scents

Finishing the year with Hasu-no-Hana which has been on my wish list for years...

Hasu-no-Hana.JPG
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Finishing the year with Hasu-no-Hana which has been on my wish list for years...

Hasu-no-Hana.JPG
    Wear it in good health drseid.

You already know how I feel about it .

for swap/sale:

Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar - Tauer.

Tried not to - but it's awfully nice.
    Congratulatons, Ipp. I've been so dying to smell this that I ordered Tauers Discovery Set with this, Incense Rose, Une Rose Chypre, Rose Vermeille and Le Maroc Pour Elle.

queen of the universe

My Weil quest continues. The Noir for which I was the sole bidder on ebay has arrived. Like my previous Weil acquisition, Cassandra, it is the work of Jacqueline Fraysse, daughter of Claude Fraysse, he of Zibeline, father and grandfather to notable noses.

The small bottle, about 5/6 full, weight unmarked(seller guessed 3/4 oz which seems about right) had a firmly attached rubber plug under the cap, suggesting it was never opened; this was removed with some effort, intact with no rubber escaping into the juice. Rubber, nonetheless, figures in. My first impression of Noir is VapoRub, old sneakers, smoke, and resin—we are in jolie-laide territory, one of my favorite places to get lost. That mentholated then rubbery aspect points to tuberose, in the Serge Lutens vein. I poked around for more info and found only this:
    http://thevintageperfumevault.blogspot.com/2010/12/back-to-black-noir-part-ii.html
    The blogger, Amelia puts it thus: "Noir is a perfectly executed tender-yet-seductive floral leather." That's about right.

Noir(1936) is Cassandra's predecessor by a year; it's contrasting floral/industrial notes are in couterpoint, each in her own corner, whereas Cassandra, using similar notes is more blended and rounded. Both seem to foreshadow the work of Germaine Cellier (Bandit, Miss Balmain and other of Piguet and Balmain) in staking out leather for the feminine repertoire.

P1040067.jpg
    Last edited by jujy54; 29th December 2013 at 03:12 PM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Sound Scents

Wear it in good health drseid.

You already know how I feel about it .
    Thanks, Hedonist. I remember reading your comments on it a couple years back, and I think it is safe to say we are in complete agreement. :-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Congratulatons, Ipp. I've been so dying to smell this that I ordered Tauers Discovery Set with this, Incense Rose, Une Rose Chypre, Rose Vermeille and Le Maroc Pour Elle.

Thanks, ScentFan - it's not a very 'rosy' one and different from the others in that line that I've tried - but I liked it enough to buy one as I don't have anything similar.
    Last edited by lpp; 30th December 2013 at 09:31 AM.

amber absolute.jpg

Amber Absolute--a 50ml decant. A birthday gift to myself before there is no more left to be had...

Belated Happy Birthday!

Blog Entries

Good for you, Ipp. This reminds me to look for mine. I know I have some, too. A charming floral leather.
    I just got some Aoud Queen Roses -,Montale, and several samples, one I'm looking forward to- ​Mona di Orio's Violette Fumee.

summer means fireflys

I didn't exactly buy it ... but I won a 30ml bottle of Atelier Gold Leather from one of the perfume blogs! I received notification that it is on the way.

Top notes are bitter orange, saffron, rum and plum;
    Middle notes are artemisia and eucalyptus;
    Base notes are cedar, guaiac wood, agarwood (oud wood) and leather.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Thanks, Ipp! Happy New Year!

Thanks - you too, Chicagoista!

Opps, wrong sub-forum!
    Last edited by Adama; 1st January 2014 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post

Hasu-no-Hana.JPG
    WOW, congrats drseid!
    I adore this trio: Hasu, Shem & Phul