Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default How to order perfume from Paris, France (Caron, Lutens, etc.)

I have been using an EBay shopper for a few years now. She buys perfume from Paris and sends the bottles to you in the mail when she returns from her trip. The reason this is preferable to buying in the US is because French perfume is potable, whereas perfume made for US import must, by law, be poisonous wood alcohol. This goes back to Prohibition Era Law. Now it is absurd. Who would drink a $200 bottle of perfume? They keep it up because it is so much cheaper to produce. And it is inferior. The perfume in France is superior, creamy, so heavenly smelling you almost DO want to drink it.

The service is ShopFranceInc and her name is Suzan Becker. I thought I'd start a link since I've mentioned this so many times in other threads. http://stores.ebay.com/Shop-France-Inc?_rdc=1&afsrc=1

Default Re: How to order perfume from Paris, France (Caron, Lutens, etc.)

Many thanks, kumquat. I suspected there was a difference. Suzan Becker has another customer!

Newbie question. The Bellogia I bought off ebay is stamped "MADE IN FRANCE" on the bottom. Does that mean it actually was?

Blog Entries

You're welcome! I should have posted this earlier, I guess. Didn't think of it. The one we were talking about Caron-French Can Can; I actually ordered blind! I don't know why because I didn't like the sample I had (smelled like rotting flowers) but the notes intrigued me. And I was smitten with Tabac Blond. Now it is my favorite and I've had at least 3 refills. You can't believe the difference. The Lutens, too are just gorgeous. Also, I just got a bottle of John Galliano room spray at Diptyque. I thought it was discontinued. But they have it in Paris, along with all the other 'Bois' scents. I also got an Opopanax. Yummy!
    Last edited by kumquat; 4th December 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Bookmark this post, people, so you don’t forget Kumquat’s thoughtful and most important message.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I recall someone saying you can purchase Caton's N'Aimez Que Moi in large bottles for a considerable discount but now I can't find the size or pricing. Can anyone help me with that. I was thinking I could use the personal shopper! Thanks for posting!

Kumquat, always delightful to see you and thank you for the info on this seller!

Blog Entries

ScentFan, I'm no expert, but I'd take an educated guess and say your Bellogia bottle WAS probably made in France as stated on your sticker.

I did ask her about Chanels a while back(the seller)..she said of Chanel that she only sells the Exclusifs, not No.5, Eau Premiere, Chance whatever your Chanel interest outside the Exclusifs would be. Not sure if she has changed her position on this or not.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Blog Entries

I get my Chanel's from Saks in NYC. They are MUCH nicer than the Chanel Boutique. They also charge less shipping, pack more securely, have better stock and include tons of Samples! I looked up the number on the internet and spoke directly to the cosmetics counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

By potable, does that mean it's just plain ethanol + a bit of distilled water rather than the "denatured" U.S. version? If so, very interesting. Had no idea.
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Blog Entries

I nodded off in science class. We've had long discussions about exactly which type of alcohol is used. My understanding is that the French law deems the perfume must be safe to consume. So I assume it is akin to 'grain alcohol'. The US law deems perfume must be unfit for human consumption. This means they are using harsh-smelling stuff- whatever it may be.

Blog Entries

Danieq, Suzan will give you all the prices. Just send her an email.
    suzanbecker@shopfranceinc.com

Last edited by kumquat; 4th December 2013 at 08:00 PM.

That's interesting, kumquat - I didn't know that they did that.

My Aedes were made in France for the USA market & use the regular denat/ SD alcohol 39c (ethanol) that we normally have in European scent - not methanol.

Would you mind looking up what ingredients are listed on the ones being imported in this way please, out of interest?
    Last edited by lpp; 4th December 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Blog Entries

I've been getting refills from the urns. These come in flacons in gauze bags, no box. Once, long ago, I got a Guerlain- Vol de Nuit, I think, but I don't know where the box is exactly.

Thanks, kumquat - I don't really think that there's any difference these days but am happy to be corrected if anyone has some evidence.

Blog Entries

I'm certainly not trying to get more business for this lady. She's probably got more than enough. I'm only interested in getting the word out to those who are interested in finding out for themselves. I think there is a notable difference.

thanks for the info Kumquat.

Any perceived differences will presumably not be due to the use of methanol, which is an allegation for which some evidence would be most welcome!

Coughs loudly. Its potato alcohol, so basically vodka or potseen(sp) , hence the US not allowing it all those years ago. Its the grain type they use in the US, so many complain that the fragrance is sweeter in the US.
    DONNA

Thanks Donna - it's not methanol then.

Blog Entries

What I notice is a creaminess in the French stuff compared to a harsher effect in the US version. Many times the notes themselves are just different, as in the 'French Can Can' and the 'Tabac Blond'. Some of the scents are not even available in the US (as in the Lutens). The shipping has never been more than $7-8 so I've been very happy with the French versions, when I can get them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, you order your Chanels from Saks in NYC...they have the French versions then?
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Blog Entries

I'm not clear on that. Probably they've got a formula for US import like all the others. The main thing there is; I get the parfum. Unless it's an Exclusif that's only available in EDT. The reason I got started with Saks was because I saw 'Beige' advertised and it was only available there. One time I ordered from the Chanel boutique in NYC (Bois des Iles). They charged me a fortune to ship it. $25, I think. And then, all they did was stick a little tissue paper in a huge box so it rattled around. It's amazing it arrived unbroken. I've read that others weren't so lucky.